ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2521 of 2543 Old 07-25-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
How and why do you use the second tuner?
If you want to record 2 programs at the same time, you need 2 tuners. To switch to other tuner, press "TV" on black remote. Click "INPUT" on silver and then pick other tuner.
PeninsulaMark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2543 Old 07-25-2016, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiku View Post
If you want to record 2 programs at the same time, you need 2 tuners. To switch to other tuner, press "TV" on black remote. Click "INPUT" on silver and then pick other tuner.

Thank you.

Does one need two external USB drives to record two programs simultaneously?
post #2523 of 2543 Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
No, but IIRC you must format your drive to ext2 if you want to be able to record two channels at once, because the VRX's NTFS driver is so slow that it can't keep up if you ask it to record more than one show at a time.
post #2524 of 2543 Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
No, but IIRC you must format your drive to ext2 if you want to be able to record two channels at once, because the VRX's NTFS driver is so slow that it can't keep up if you ask it to record more than one show at a time.

Yes, even the drive on tuner 1 needs to be formatted EXT2. BTW, I was able to mount the drive with recordings on a Macintosh and was able to play the videos.
post #2525 of 2543 Old 07-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Question Which USB port to use for recording? Manual for VRX2 please

I heard that once one attaches an external USB drive to one of the two USB ports, then from that point onward only that port can be used for recording. Is this true or false?

My HD is in USBb or presumably USB post 2. Is tuner #1 better and if so, how to change the recording to USB A or 1 ?

Lastly, the nice post in the beginning has the wrong link to the VRX2 pdf manual. Someone please post the correct link.

Thank you.
post #2526 of 2543 Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Lightbulb Tying it all together

I'm surprised at some of these recent questions. I'll try to help.

***THE TWO TUNERS DIFFER in that only Tuner 1 can tune analog NTSC signals. Both tuners record ATSC or QAM about equally well. Slightly different antenna performance if using two antennae, or a splitter with one attenuated output, can cause them to perform slightly differently.

***BECAUSE EXTRACTING PIPS GUIDE DATA requires a tuner to tune in that station, you can only view guide data for one station during recording - the one that is being recorded. Switch tuners to view other channels. If both tuners are recording, you can't view PIPS data for any other channels.

***SELECTING WHICH DRIVE TO RECORD TO: The PHD-VRX will record to the FIRST DRIVE DETECTED AFTER BOOTING FROM STANDBY (or OFF). This is re-detected every time the machine boots up. Which port it is plugged into has no effect. Because of this, I advise that you never leave two devices plugged in and forget them, because the wrong one may be selected, causing recordings to fail - or at least be recorded to the wrong drive. (More on this at the end of this post.) If you change drives, you should reboot from standby to make sure the right one is selected.

In particular, if you routinely record to one drive, and it's a spinning-rust drive, it will not identify itself to the PHD-VRX as quickly as a solid-state drive, whether that solid-state drive is a flash stick or large SSD hard-drive replacement. So if you have both plugged in and the PHD-VRX goes to OFF or standby, the solid-state drive will be picked as the drive for recording, and the recording will probably fail due to capacity or speed problems.

HAVING TWO TUNERS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HAVING TWO USB PORTS! Once a USB device is selected on boot, BOTH tuners will record to that drive, even when recording at the same time. IF you have one drive selected on boot as the recording drive, and you then plug in a second drive, the second drive will only be able to play back. If you then remove the first drive, the PHD-VRX will NOT record to the second drive.

***DRIVES USED TO RECORD WITH THE PHD-VRX should be formatted with the EXT2 file system. This is a standard Linux/Unix file system. DOS or Windows PCs cannot read EXT2-formatted drives without add-on software, which can be obtained free at links on ePVision's site.

Apple's OSX is actually a disguised version of Unix. (Apple gave up on maintaining its old, kludged OS and file system, and quietly replaced them with Unix as OSX.) Its file system is very similar to EXT2, but incompatible. Again, you can use add-on software to access EXT2-formatted drives.

***The PHD-VRX CAN play back video (and audio and still images) from FAT and NTFS drives (used by DOS and Windows), usually stuff you have created or saved on a PC and then written to an external drive, be it solid state or spinning-rust.

I have had no success with playing OSX-formatted drives, but I haven't tried much.

NOTE: PeninsulaMark above seems to claim he can play EXT2-formatted drives on a standard Mac. Is this true? With which version of OSX?

The PHD-VRX CAN record to FAT or NTFS drives, but there will be dropouts if recording two programs at once - sometimes even when recording a single program. This has nothing to do with lousy NTFS drivers; it is the nature of the journaling file system. You should also not use EXT3-formatted drives.

***RECORDING TO USB FLASH DRIVES: I've done this, but even with very fast drives there are always dropouts, even recording a single program. I think this is because flash drives have to periodically erase large blocks of memory or move large blocks of data. It's their nature, because flash drives can't erase only part of a block - and practise wear-balancing during normal operations, meaning they randomly decide to stop recording and shuffle blocks of memory around, still having to erase in large flash blocks. I believe this is the cause of the long pauses that cause the dropouts. (Sometimes appearing as pixelation) If I am right about this, it SHOULD be possible to record to a freshly-formatted flash drive, or so some drives that handle their data-juggling better than others. The only one I have tried that is pretty good (not perfect) at it is an ADATA 64GB Elist S102 Pro USB 3.0 drive - the blue one. Of course, it has to be formatted to EXT2 to do this.

***MORE INFO THAN MOST PEOPLE CAN HANDLE AT ONE SITTING (I've detailed this before, but will try to recap it) :

Video files from any source, in any format the PHD-VRX can play, can be played from the "Video" list, which you reach from the menu as MEDIA>VIDEO.
-Only the actual filename will be displayed.
-There will be no closed captions. If subtitles are coded into the file itself, you will see them but not be able to turn them off.
-You won't be able to Fast-Forward (>>) or Rewind (<<) at speeds over 64X. (Only speeds up to 32X will show in the control bar, but there is one faster than shown)
-Holding down the forward-skip (>>|) or backward-skip (|<<) button will usually result in the place in the file being lost, often jumping to the start or end of a file, or to the previous or next file.
-Forward and backward jumps will be of uncertain length, rather than the interval you select in MEDIA or QUICK menus.
-You won't be able to delete the files using the PHD-VRX unless you format the device, erasing everything on it. You will have to use a computer that can mount the drive to manage files.
-Your viewed-to place in the program will not be saved if you exit to the list or out of the menus.

Only files recorded by the PHD-VRX can ALSO be played from the "RECORD" list (which should have been named "RECORDINGS"), selected from the menu as MEDIA>RECORDINGS.
They can still be played from the "VIDEO" list.
The same goes for playing back the start of a program WHILE IT IS BEING RECORDED! It's not as flexible as time-shifting, but it's often useful, and allows one to jump between two programs while they are being recorded, which some sports fans like to do.

When a file is recorded and correctly saved from the PHD-VRX, it is saved in three parts:
1. The media file (such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.mpg") containing the actual program.
2. The meta-data "navigation" file (such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.nav") containing indexing and closed-caption information.
3. An ENTRY in the "record" file (there's only one on any drive) linking the .mpg and .nav files, and to a "display title" that will appear in the "RECORD" list. It also holds the viewed-to place.

Recordings that are not properly saved - say, because of a crash, drive disconnect or power failure - will not have the "record" file entry, and can only be used as "VIDEO" list files.
Time-shift files and .nav files will not appear in the "VIDEO" list. (They did on early firmware versions, though.) They can be seen if the drive is mounted on a computer.

Proper, successful PHD-VRX recordings that appear in the "RECORD" list will have extra features:

-There will be a file name in the "VIDEO" list such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.mpg", but with the PIPS guide name as display title in the "RECORD" list as well. If the start time and PIPS data are correct, the "RECORD" list would show "The Blacklist" as the title, but it might be incorrect if starting early or late, or if the PHD-VRX has its time/date set wrongly, or if the PIPS data is wrong. The "RECORD" list will allow you to change the display title, which will then be changed in the "record" file on the disk. The actual .mpg and .nav file names will not change.
-You will be able to turn closed-caption subtitles, if any, on or off.
-You will be able to Fast-Forward (>>) or Rewind (<<) at speeds up to 256X. (Only speeds up to 128X will show in the control bar, but there is one faster than shown)
-You will be able to forward-skip (>>|) or backward-skip (|<<) continuously.
-You will be able to set the skip length from the MEDIA menu or the QUICK menu.
-You will be able to delete the file.
-Your viewed-to place in the program will be saved if you exit to the list or out of the menus USING GOTO. If you use the EXIT button, it won't be saved.

Because each drive has its own "record" file (an actual file on the drive named simply "record" in lower-case), you will not then be able to move the file from one drive to another and still be able to see the drive in the "RECORD" list; you'll still see it from the "VIDEO" list IN ITS OWN ORIGINAL FILE NAME - not the display title you'd find in the Record list.

One COULD save both "record" files to a separate drive and load whichever was needed to play a particular program, but that's really asking for trouble, particularly since new programs have to be added to the appropriate "record" file and that copied to the separate drive.
ED BEAR <<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Last edited by Ed Bear; 08-01-2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: corrected oopsies, added more info, improved organization
post #2527 of 2543 Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Cool Changing USB ports for recording; How to mount EXT2/3 on a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bear View Post
I'm surprised at some of these recent questions. I'll try to help.

***THE TWO TUNERS DIFFER in that only Tuner 1 can tune analog NTSC signals. Both tuners record ATSC or QAM about equally well. Slightly different antenna performance if using two antennae, or a splitter with one attenuated output, can cause them to perform slightly differently.

***BECAUSE EXTRACTING PIPS GUIDE DATA requires a tuner to tune in that station, you can only view guide data for one station during recording - the one that is being recorded. Switch tuners to view other channels. If both tuners are recording, you can't view PIPS data for any other channels.

***SELECTING WHICH DRIVE TO RECORD TO: The PHD-VRX will record to the FIRST DRIVE DETECTED AFTER BOOTING FROM STANDBY (or OFF). This is re-detected every time the machine boots up. Which port it is plugged into has no effect. Because of this, I advise that you never leave two devices plugged in and forget them, because the wrong one may be selected, causing recordings to fail - or at least be recorded to the wrong drive. (More on this at the end of this post.) If you change drives, you should reboot from standby to make sure the right one is selected.

In particular, if you routinely record to one drive, and it's a spinning-rust drive, it will not identify itself to the PHD-VRX as quickly as a solid-state drive, whether that solid-state drive is a flash stick or large SSD hard-drive replacement. So if you have both plugged in and the PHD-VRX goes to OFF or standby, the solid-state drive will be picked as the drive for recording, and the recording will probably fail due to capacity or speed problems.

HAVING TWO TUNERS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HAVING TWO USB PORTS! Once a USB device is selected on boot, BOTH tuners will record to that drive, even when recording at the same time. IF you have one drive selected on boot as the recording drive, and you then plug in a second drive, the second drive will only be able to play back. If you then remove the first drive, the PHD-VRX will NOT record to the second drive.

***DRIVES USED TO RECORD WITH THE PHD-VRX should be formatted with the EXT2 file system. This is a standard Linux/Unix file system. DOS or Windows PCs cannot read EXT2-formatted drives without add-on software, which can be obtained free at links on ePVision's site.

Apple's OSX is actually a disguised version of Unix. (Apple gave up on maintaining its old, kludged OS and file system, and quietly replaced them with Unix as OSX.) Its file system is very similar to EXT2, but incompatible. Again, you can use add-on software to access ext2-formatted drives.

***The PHD-VRX CAN play back video (and audio and still images) from FAT and NTFS drives (used by DOS and Windows), usually stuff you have created or saved on a PC and then written to an external drive, be it solid state or spinning-rust.

I have had no success with playing OSX-formatted drives, but I haven't tried much.

NOTE: PeninsulaMark above seems to claim he can play EXT2-formatted drives on a standard Mac. Is this true? With which version of OSX?

The PHD-VRX CAN record to FAT or NTFS drives, but there will be dropouts if recording two programs at once - sometimes even when recording a single program. This has nothing to do with lousy NTFS drivers; it is the nature of the journaling file system. You should also not use EXT3-formatted drives.

***RECORDING TO USB FLASH DRIVES: I've done this, but even with very fast drives there are always dropouts, even recording a single program. I think this is because flash drives have to periodically erase large blocks of memory or move large blocks of data. It's their nature, because flash drives can't erase only part of a block - and practise wear-balancing during normal operations, meaning they randomly decide to stop recording and shuffle blocks of memory around, still having to erase in large flash blocks. I believe this is the cause of the long pauses that cause the dropouts. (Sometimes appearing as pixelation) If I am right about this, it SHOULD be possible to record to a freshly-formatted flash drive, or so some drives that handle their data-juggling better than others. The only one I have tried that is pretty good (not perfect) at it is an ADATA 64GB Elist S102 Pro USB 3.0 drive - the blue one. Of course, it has to be formatted to EXT2 to do this.

***MORE INFO THAN MOST PEOPLE CAN HANDLE AT ONE SITTING (I've detailed this before, but will try to recap it) :

Video files from any source, in any format the PHD-VRX can play, can be played from the "Video" list, which you reach from the menu as MEDIA>VIDEO.
-Only the actual filename will be displayed.
-There will be no closed captions. If subtitles are coded into the file itself, you will see them but not be able to turn them off.
-You won't be able to Fast-Forward (>>) or Rewind (<<) at speeds over 64X. (Only speeds up to 32X will show in the control bar, but there is one faster than shown)
-Holding down the forward-skip (>>|) or backward-skip (|<<) button will usually result in the place in the file being lost, often jumping to the start or end of a file, or to the previous or next file.
-Forward and backward jumps will be of uncertain length, rather than the interval you select in MEDIA or QUICK menus.
-You won't be able to delete the files using the PHD-VRX unless you format the device, erasing everything on it. You will have to use a computer that can mount the drive to manage files.
-Your viewed-to place in the program will not be saved if you exit to the list or out of the menus.

Only files recorded by the PHD-VRX can ALSO be played from the "RECORD" list (which should have been named "RECORDINGS"), selected from the menu as MEDIA>RECORDINGS.
They can still be played from the "VIDEO" list.
The same goes for playing back the start of a program WHILE IT IS BEING RECORDED! It's not as flexible as time-shifting, but it's often useful, and allows one to jump between two programs while they are being recorded, which some sports fans like to do.

When a file is recorded and correctly saved from the PHD-VRX, it is saved in three parts:
1. The media file (such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.mpg") containing the actual program.
2. The meta-data "navigation" file (such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.nav") containing indexing and closed-caption information.
3. An ENTRY in the "record" file (there's only one on any drive) linking the .mpg and .nav files, and to a "display title" that will appear in the "RECORD" list. It also holds the viewed-to place.

Recordings that are not properly saved - say, because of a crash, drive disconnect or power failure - will not have the "record" file entry, and can only be used as "VIDEO" list files.
Time-shift files and .nav files will not appear in the "VIDEO" list. (They did on early firmware versions, though.) They can be seen if the drive is mounted on a computer.

Proper, successful PHD-VRX recordings that appear in the "RECORD" list will have extra features:

-There will be a file name in the "VIDEO" list such as "The-Blacklist_1302016_220015.mpg", but with the PIPS guide name as display title in the "RECORD" list as well. If the start time and PIPS data are correct, the "RECORD" list would show "The Blacklist" as the title, but it might be incorrect if starting early or late, or if the PHD-VRX has its time/date set wrongly, or if the PIPS data is wrong. The "RECORD" list will allow you to change the display title, which will then be changed in the "record" file on the disk. The actual .mpg and .nav file names will not change.
-You will be able to turn closed-caption subtitles, if any, on or off.
-You will be able to Fast-Forward (>>) or Rewind (<<) at speeds up to 256X. (Only speeds up to 128X will show in the control bar, but there is one faster than shown)
-You will be able to forward-skip (>>|) or backward-skip (|<<) continuously.
-You will be able to set the skip length from the MEDIA menu or the QUICK menu.
-You will be able to delete the file.
-Your viewed-to place in the program will be saved if you exit to the list or out of the menus USING GOTO. If you use the EXIT button, it won't be saved.

Because each drive has its own "record" file (an actual file on the drive names simply "record" in lower-case), you will not then be able to move the file from one drive to another and still be able to see the drive in the "RECORD" list; you'll still see it from the "VIDEO" list IN ITS OWN ORIGINAL FILE NAME - not the display title you'd find in the Record list.

One COULD save both "record" files to a separate drive and load whichever was needed to play a particular program, but that's really asking for trouble, particularly since new programs have to be added to the appropriate "record" file and that copied to the separate drive.
ED BEAR <<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Ed, you are awesome. Thank you so much. Will have to read your textbook several times.

1. I record only from OTA. Seems I can only record now using USB 2/A. I must have used it first. Any way to reset the device so that I can record on USB1 post? Or one unplugs the PHD, connects the USB drive to receive the recording in USB A at startup?

2. You asked how to mount the EXT2/EXT3 formatted external drive on a Macintosh computer. Simple. This $20 piece of software really works: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/

More questions to follow after a sabbatical to read your post.
post #2528 of 2543 Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 PM

Cool Tuner tips

PeninsulaMark: Ah, so the Mac, like DOS and Windows, needs add-on software to mount EXT2 drives. At least the Windows add-on is free.

I run Ubuntu Linux (which is also completely free and open source), so these things are familiar to me.

If you are receiving from OTA (Over-the-air) ANALOG, you can only use Tuner 1, and only for live display. (Some areas of the US still have analog NTSC, and many old VCRs only have NTSC output.) You cannot record analog signals with the PHD-VRX.

DIGITAL ATSC OTA can be viewed or recorded from either tuner.

I know I put a lot into that big post, but in it you will find that there is no relation between having two tuners and having two USB ports. BOTH tuners record to the same USB port's drive, and it is selected whenever the PHD-VRX boots up from standby. You do not have to power down completely to re-select the port to record from. By the way, you posted your message while I was still editing my big one, so some things may be clearer now.

Don't feel too bad if someone tells you something has already been answered - it's tough to read over 2500 posts! That's why the first ten posts summarize much of the info.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved)

Last edited by Ed Bear; 07-31-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: No recording from analog
post #2529 of 2543 Old 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Question What to do about the low audio volume from the VRX2 ?

I really like this unit. The more I read about and use it, the more it seems excellent.

But one complaint is the low audio using OTA to the VRX2 and HDMI to the TV. By low volume, it is much lower than the audio produced by using the TV's own internal tuner and audio.

There must be a better way to get louder audio out of the VRX2 and have it go to the TV speakers, or second best, have louder audio and go to an external sound system.

Would someone kindly explain how to do each of these things?

No, I haven't read the entire manual and probably would not understand it if I did. Most of you members here put things in simpler terms for us challenged people.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 08-05-2016 at 02:33 PM.
post #2530 of 2543 Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Lastly, the nice post in the beginning has the wrong link to the VRX2 pdf manual. Someone please post the correct link.
Done!

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #2531 of 2543 Old 08-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Question EXT2 vs. EXT3 Format on external USB hard drive ?

Th e manual to the VRX2 indicates that the hard drive should be EXT2 format, but when formatting EXT2 on my Mac, the VRX2 doesn't recognize the disk. Formatting EXT3 however works.

So should a drive be EXT2 or EXT3 formatted, and why ?

After EXT3 formatting on a Mac and connecting to the VRX2, the VRX2 reports:

Read Write Speed 2147463647 MB/s

Total Space 1877564 MB
Available 1781992 MB

EXT3

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 08-06-2016 at 09:27 AM.
post #2532 of 2543 Old 08-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Th e manual to the VRX2 indicates that the hard drive should be EXT2 format, but when formatting EXT2 on my Mac, the VRX2 doesn't recognize the disk. Formatting EXT3 however works.

So should a drive be EXT2 or EXT3 formatted, and why ?

After EXT3 formatting on a Mac and connecting to the VRX2, the VRX2 reports:

Read Write Speed 2147463647 MB/s

Total Space 1877564 MB
Available 1781992 MB

EXT3

Anyone here know?
post #2533 of 2543 Old 08-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I really like this unit. The more I read about and use it, the more it seems excellent.

But one complaint is the low audio using OTA to the VRX2 and HDMI to the TV. By low volume, it is much lower than the audio produced by using the TV's own internal tuner and audio.

There must be a better way to get louder audio out of the VRX2 and have it go to the TV speakers, or second best, have louder audio and go to an external sound system.

Would someone kindly explain how to do each of these things?

Second request!
post #2534 of 2543 Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 PM

Question

PeninsulaMark: I don't know anything about how your Macintosh software formats the drive, but you should have no trouble if you let the PHD-VRX do the job. EXT3 filesystems add journaling functions that slow recording down. If you find that you can use EXT3 with no dropouts recording two, well, go ahead.
The awesome read/write speed is an artifact. Fresh drives with large cache buffers, or SSD drives, will respond to the first bunch of writes extremely quickly, and the PHD-VRX's time resolution isn't high enough to reliably calculate a meaningful speed. (Much as older versions of the Norton Utilities for the PC-XT, for example, gave nonsense benchmark results when speed-testing newer, faster computers.)

If you let the machine record for a while, flushing the buffers (1080P video is about 8GB/hr, so about 8 minutes should flush a gig of cache, which is pretty much the most anything on the market can buffer), you should get more sensible speed ratings.

I would have expected that the speed limitations of the USB 2.0 bus would prevent this problem, but it remains.

The results won't be consistent - you may get a 1-2 MB/sec variation in consecutive tests. The fastest I have been able to see reported 25MB/sec.
I haven't heard any ideas about the low volume during playback versus during direct viewing or recording, other than run it through your stereo and turn up the volume. I know, that's not fun when you exit playback mode and the sound suddenly rocks the planet.

Not that many people visit this thread these days - no need to repeat the request for info until at least the message scrolls to the next page.
ED BEAR<<(+*+)>>
(SASK//proved
post #2535 of 2543 Old 08-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Question What unit is as good or better than this PHD-VRX2 ?

What unit (different manufacturer) is as good or better than this PHD-VRX2 ? Don't necessarily need two tuners.
post #2536 of 2543 Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 655
"Good or better" are kind of subjective; have you checked this thread? 2014 list of consumer available DVR's

If you're looking for a low-cost, one-tuner box, I'd suggest looking at one of the HomeWorX models. They're typically under $40 (although you have to add your own HDD) and will do all the basic functions (on-demand, daily, and weekly recordings, including scheduling from the station's EPG). Of course, not many frills at that price, and you'll have to put up with a few bugs.

If you're strictly over-the-air (no cable) and want a two-tuner DVR with more features, check out the Channel Master DVR+. Quite a bit more at $250, and you still have to add your own HDD, but it's become a pretty reliable midrange DVR with a few Internet TV apps included.

And of course there's always TiVo. Probably the best choice for cable subscribers. Expensive but there have been occasional specials on "lifetime subscription" (i.e., no monthly fee) purchases. I don't know if the specials have continued after the Rovi buyout, though; I haven't seen one mentioned lately.
post #2537 of 2543 Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We are strictly "over the air" and need two tuners. We have an original phd-vrx, a phd-vrx2, and a Channel Master DVR+. The DVR+ is in our view worth the substantial increase in cost, mostly because of the included Guide (making recording much easier and quicker),but also because it seems a little more user friendly, and it also seems to have fewer "hiccups".
post #2538 of 2543 Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Best place to purchase the Channel Master DVR+ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post
We are strictly "over the air" and need two tuners. We have an original phd-vrx, a phd-vrx2, and a Channel Master DVR+. The DVR+ is in our view worth the substantial increase in cost, mostly because of the included Guide (making recording much easier and quicker),but also because it seems a little more user friendly, and it also seems to have fewer "hiccups".

Good. Will follow your recommendation. There are at least five really annoying features of the PHD-VRX2, but the basic video files produced are good.

The VRX2 should have had focus groups and more testing before release.

Best place to purchase the Channel Master DVR+ ? Will it recording unencrypted MP4 files on an external USB drive? Which specific model do you recommend? Does it have slow motion playback?

==================================

Here are some Amazon listings:

Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL3)
by Channel Master
$314.99

Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL2)
by Channel Master
$299.00

Channel Master CM-7500TB1 Dual-tuner DVR with program guide, 1TB
by Channel Master
$399.99

Digital Video Recorder with Streaming Applications - Subscription Free!
by Channel Master
$249.00+ $8.99 shipping

Channel Master CM7400 1080p Internet Compatible HDTV DVR
by Channel Master

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 08-19-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #2539 of 2543 Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Good. Will follow your recommendation. There are at least five really annoying features of the PHD-VRX2, but the basic video files produced are good.

The VRX2 should have had focus groups and more testing before release.

Best place to purchase the Channel Master DVR+ ? Will it recording unencrypted MP4 files on an external USB drive? Which specific model do you recommend? Does it have slow motion playback?

==================================

Here are some Amazon listings:

Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL3)
by Channel Master
$314.99

Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL2)
by Channel Master
$299.00

Channel Master CM-7500TB1 Dual-tuner DVR with program guide, 1TB
by Channel Master
$399.99

Digital Video Recorder with Streaming Applications - Subscription Free!
by Channel Master
$249.00+ $8.99 shipping

Channel Master CM7400 1080p Internet Compatible HDTV DVR
by Channel Master
We have the CM7500BDL3, and the wireless USB dongle works well for us. When we bought ours (from Amazon.ca) it was pretty much the only choice from them (in Canada) and it was much cheaper than now (because of the current poor Canadian dollar). While the one with the built in hard drive would make for a more compact and neater unit, it does not have the advantage of being able to use different hard drives, or easily replace one that gives trouble.
post #2540 of 2543 Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windermere View Post
We have the CM7500BDL3, and the wireless USB dongle works well for us. When we bought ours (from Amazon.ca) it was pretty much the only choice from them (in Canada) and it was much cheaper than now (because of the current poor Canadian dollar). While the one with the built in hard drive would make for a more compact and neater unit, it does not have the advantage of being able to use different hard drives, or easily replace one that gives trouble.

Thank you. Did you ever try this VRX2 or another model to compare to the CM7500BDL3? What complaints, if any, do you have about your CM7500?
post #2541 of 2543 Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 AM

I ended up returning my VRX2. I won't go into the reasons since the issues have already been discussed in this forum many times before. However, a few things to factor in if you are considering purchasing this dvr from epvision.

They aren't exactly the most consumer friendly business. I had to ask for an RMA number about 3 times. Took 4-5 days I think.

They also do not issue refunds for 30 days from the time you return it to them. They don't refund to your credit card. They send you a check. They also took more than 30 days with me. I emailed them about my missing refund on the 13th; the rep responded by apologizing and telling me a check was cut the day before - and I would receive my check at the end of the week. The check did arrive by the end of the week; however, I noticed the check dated the 16th. Not sure if and when I would have received my refund if I hadn't complained about it.

In any case, you need to be proactive in dealing with these guys. Also, 30 days can be a long time to wait for a refund. You might completely forget about it. If you returned your dvr to them, make sure you got your money back!
post #2542 of 2543 Old 09-24-2016, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I would be the last to stick up for 'him', but that description seems to be the norm for kost of these Asian importers that claim theirs is the best, but it's discovered it's no better than all the other 'crap' that floats (literately) in from overseas.
Any and every 'con' seems to surface when dealing with these (bordering on) fly by nighters. One only has to read many of the reviews over on Amazon with some of the 'stuff' that is being peddled there.

My guess is, paying by check saves additional CC fees and I would be willing to bet some slight of hand bookkeeping.

BTW, that 'demo' unit I received (after sitting 'off' 98% of the time) IR function died out of the blue. I scraped it for parts since I really wasn't using it. And that HDD, the one that supposedly wasn't mounted correctly, was removed and being used elsewhere with NO issue.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #2543 of 2543 Old 09-24-2016, 03:08 PM

Their explanation for the check refund is that they use yahoo commerce. Apparently, they purge credit card numbers after 30 days for security reasons. Considering the report of the hacks at yahoo, that does seem like something they might do now. Of course, I did return the dvr within 30 days. If they had processed it in a timely fashion, they could have refunded my card.

I forgot to mention that they charge restocking fees for returns after 30 days. That was my main concern with the delay with the RMA number.

In any case, I am not telling people not to do business with them: just be proactive if you do. However, you are right that a lot of businesses are this way and we should be be more careful in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx