ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #2551 of 2559 Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithdoor View Post
Reinstall the firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty2013 View Post
Assuming, it's a "soft" problem, re-flash the firmware. You'll be booting from the USB stick and not from a corrupt system.

Let us know.
Well, re-installed the firmware and that brought it back to life! Thanks for the help!

However, in the urgency to get myself back into a working DVR situation, I got my Tablo up and running and have fallen in love with it! Much less sluggish than the PHD-VRX2, interface much better, and the ability to access it from my phone is awesome. So I doubt I'll be putting it back in service. That and I used the hard drive from it to run on the Tablo, so right now don't have a drive for it anyway. At least I was able to save it from a landfill and give it another shot at life. I'll put it up on ebay and see if anyone wants it. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2559 Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That what I got in Nov 2016 works great
I have the pay guide works great too

Davd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiant View Post
Well, re-installed the firmware and that brought it back to life! Thanks for the help!

However, in the urgency to get myself back into a working DVR situation, I got my Tablo up and running and have fallen in love with it! Much less sluggish than the PHD-VRX2, interface much better, and the ability to access it from my phone is awesome. So I doubt I'll be putting it back in service. That and I used the hard drive from it to run on the Tablo, so right now don't have a drive for it anyway. At least I was able to save it from a landfill and give it another shot at life. I'll put it up on ebay and see if anyone wants it. Thanks again!
post #2553 of 2559 Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any software that can perform error correction on the MPEG-2 files recorded from this unit after the fact?

A really important broadcast I recorded has dropouts every 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure if it was due to high tree leaves directly in my way causing multi-path (when viewed live there was no problem), or the fact that this was recorded off a station that had no subchannels, which resulted in a bitrate higher than my NTFS-formatted drive could handle.

I was thinking of re-encoding the file to MP4 or something easier to share and view on a USB stick as well. Any good software that's good at making errors as imperceptible as possible (especially audio), and possibly even de-interlace the 1080i program?

post #2554 of 2559 Old 09-30-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post
Is there any software that can perform error correction on the MPEG-2 files recorded from this unit after the fact?
Unfortunately most of the error correction is done by the tuner and doesn't make it to the recording.
Quote:
A really important broadcast I recorded has dropouts every 30 seconds or so.
Video utilities like FFMPEG will remove corrupted frames, which may help some, but I know of no way to recover the missing data.
Quote:
I'm not sure if it was due to high tree leaves directly in my way causing multi-path (when viewed live there was no problem), or the fact that this was recorded off a station that had no subchannels, which resulted in a bitrate higher than my NTFS-formatted drive could handle.
Probably the latter. If it had been multi-path you would have seen pixelation in the live broadcast, and it wouldn't be as regular as every 30 seconds.
Quote:
I was thinking of re-encoding the file to MP4 or something easier to share and view on a USB stick as well. Any good software that's good at making errors as imperceptible as possible (especially audio), and possibly even de-interlace the 1080i program?
That might work. Have you tried Handbrake? I know it can de-interlace, but I don't know how well it will handle the dropouts.

Both FFMPEG and Handbrake are free, so there's no harm in trying them.
post #2555 of 2559 Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Last year I replace the PHD VRX2 with Tablo and a Roku
Works great no errors just work with a 2 week guide and tracks the programs for recording if change the day and or time it will change

Dave

Quote:

A really important broadcast I recorded has dropouts every 30 seconds or so. I'm not sure if it was due to high tree leaves directly in my way causing multi-path (when viewed live there was no problem), or the fact that this was recorded off a station that had no subchannels, which resulted in a bitrate higher than my NTFS-formatted drive could handle.

post #2556 of 2559 Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Unfortunately most of the error correction is done by the tuner and doesn't make it to the recording.
Video utilities like FFMPEG will remove corrupted frames, which may help some, but I know of no way to recover the missing data.
Probably the latter. If it had been multi-path you would have seen pixelation in the live broadcast, and it wouldn't be as regular as every 30 seconds.
That might work. Have you tried Handbrake? I know it can de-interlace, but I don't know how well it will handle the dropouts.

Both FFMPEG and Handbrake are free, so there's no harm in trying them.
Thanks JHBrandt. I've downloaded Handbrake and it seems like a great app, but it doesn't fix the errors and the resulting file, and the output file ends up out of sync near the end. I'll try some other apps on a PC next week to try to clean up the MPEG file (currently only have access to a Mac).

I tested different stations and it doesn't look like this is a bitrate/HDD issue. Recordings off two different VHF stations with no subchannels from the same location play back flawlessly, whereas three UHF stations break up on recording, despite a strong signal being received from only 7 miles away, with no pixelation whatsoever when viewed live. This leads me to believe that leaves from a tree directly in the line of sight is causing multipath/fluttering in the signal, but this reveals a serious flaw with this unit - it's performing error correction for live viewing but not for recording!
post #2557 of 2559 Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 861
I had trouble with Handbrake getting out of A/V sync if I didn't select "Constant frame rate" on the video tab. There may have been other settings that needed to be changed too, but I don't remember any of them right off. However, since your recording is damaged, the A/V may get out of sync anyway, as Handbrake tries to process through the errors.

You can't always tell a channel's bit rate from the number of other subchannels the station has. That (plus the resolution) is OK to make a rough guess, but there will always be null packets inserted to fill up any unused bandwidth. Those null packets aren't recorded, so the actual bandwidth could be quite a bit less than you think.

A good site to check for a better bandwidth estimate is https://rabbitears.info. But it's not perfect either. The best thing to check is probably the size of a recording: the bigger a (say) 1-hour recording is, the larger the bandwidth for that channel. But even that method can fail if the bandwidth exceeds what the DVR can handle, as can happen with the PHD-VRX writing to an NTFS-formatted drive, or when trying to use a thumb drive.
post #2558 of 2559 Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM

Try a updating here the link I to had losing sync years ago and the last few update fix it.
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX2/
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/Documents/PHD-VRX/

Good luck
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I had trouble with Handbrake getting out of A/V sync if I didn't select "Constant frame rate" on the video tab. There may have been other settings that needed to be changed too, but I don't remember any of them right off. However, since your recording is damaged, the A/V may get out of sync anyway, as Handbrake tries to process through the errors.

You can't always tell a channel's bit rate from the number of other subchannels the station has. That (plus the resolution) is OK to make a rough guess, but there will always be null packets inserted to fill up any unused bandwidth. Those null packets aren't recorded, so the actual bandwidth could be quite a bit less than you think.

A good site to check for a better bandwidth estimate is https://rabbitears.info. But it's not perfect either. The best thing to check is probably the size of a recording: the bigger a (say) 1-hour recording is, the larger the bandwidth for that channel. But even that method can fail if the bandwidth exceeds what the DVR can handle, as can happen with the PHD-VRX writing to an NTFS-formatted drive, or when trying to use a thumb drive.
post #2559 of 2559 Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
IIRC you must format your HDD as ext2, because the VRX's NTFS support is terrible.
videobruce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Epvision Phd Vrx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page