ceton tuner and ceton q record format and htpc advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what format does the ceton tuner record in and can the saved file be transferred to any computer without restrictions? mkv or mp4?
i was wanting to wait for the ceton q and dvr my shows and transfer to my computer for storage to watch on my computers. and keep for myself to watch another time months down the road. i am torn between making an htpc or waiting for the ceton q. i want to record in hd 720p i guess for shows like "hell on wheels, boardwalk empire, game of thrones, and regular programing like person of interest." i would also record in sd for some shows only to conserve space. like the files that you can download that are around 300mb.
on a side note i need a gaming machine i5/i7 specs and i was thinking if i can incorporate the gaming setup with the htpc. any thoughts? hoping to spend as little as possible but not make it crap.
all your input is welcome. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Since they are using Win7 embedded, I'll assume the Ceton Q will be the same format that 7MC uses. In that case, the video is recorded natively, i.e. a channel using MPEG2 will be recorded unmodified in that same format. Same for the resolution, 720p channels are 720p files, 1080i is 1080i. The container is .wtv, which can be converted to mkv or mp4 with the proper tools. The ability to copy/transfer the files depends on your cable provider, many will flag the majority of the channels as "copy once", which means the recording on the HTPC or Ceton Q is that one copy and can't be transferred elsewhere. If you're lucky enough to have FiOS, then all channels except premium and PPV are flagged "copy freely" which means just that, you can copy them to another computer and do whatever you want with them.

A gaming PC would be overkill for this use, a pretty modest PC running Win7 is all you need. I built a system with an i3 and that's well more than needed.
Cabal0 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
HBO is copy protected on FIOS now
post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks-well that stinks. i wish there was a way to convert them into an mp4 file. i guess i will just do my win7 dvr-ing and when the tv series i want or movie comes out ill just buy it or netflix it. better quality any way. i have been able to torrent tv shows but they are really cracking down. i just dont like watching shows that are a bad quality and i like being able to sit at my mac and watch them on that or my wmc pc thats connected to my tv. is there a way to watch the shows from wmc pc to my mac?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page