Tivo HD + NBC Olympics + Copy Protection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently had TWC installed via CableCard to my TivoHD--I was a cord cutter, but I want to see the Olympics on the cable channels and online (which needs a valid cable subscription). I plan to drop the cable once the Olympics are over.

I also am using iTivo on my Mac to copy recording from the Tivo to iTunes. It works great EXCEPT for Tivo recordings marked with copy protection by the content providers. Prior to getting cable, the only copy protected items were video podcasts I was downloading via Tivo. Now, I see a LOT of copy protected programs from the cable channels.

A quick look into ways to getting around the copy protection seemed arduous and complicated (not to mention illegal), so I'm hesitant to go that way.

My questions:

Is there any way to know in advance if something is going to be copy protected--that is, do certain cable networks always protect shows while others don't?

Do Bravo, NBC Sports Network, CNBC, and MSNBC (the cable channels covering the Olympics) generally copy protect their shows?

Is it likely that all non-broadcast Olympics coverage will be copy-protected?

Everything I read about broadcast programming is that little if any is copy-protected--is that correct?

I'm debating whether to drop the cable again, if I won't have the ability to save the Olympics coverage on the cable channels.

Any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
TWC protects all but the local channels, and there's nothing you can do about it. Other cable providers protect few if any channels.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is - people have tried to get them to change the policy but they won't.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Agreed. The problem is Time Warner Cable. They are protecting all cable channels except for a few (I think channels such as CSPAN are unprotected). Comcast protects almost none of the channels except when the content providers require it (such as premium channels).
post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 10
I also have TWC No San Diego. This is so frustrating by TWC. I've had them for a few years after DTV dropped Tivo so I bought all new Tivos and went to cablecard. Until now, all channels transferred fine. Not sure why it took them so long to get to SD with this "policy", but now they have. I have my two Tivo's all set to record all 5 NBC channels for the Olympics, but apparently I won't be able to transfer between them (except the OTA channel) now. Grrr....

This is after whatever "upgrade" to their network they did at the same time knocked both cablecards off their network until a repair person could come and read the number off the screen to the central office. I asked him why I couldn't have done that and not been without service for a week, and he made it clear that it's because someone is an idiot, and that they'd had something like 70 service calls to do the same thing.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page