post #361 of 927 Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The Skip Forward key will advance the guide 12-hours. In 9 months I haven't missed a recording.
Ah, excellent. In terms of the keyboard that is ctrl-F & ctrl-B to skip 12 hr forward and back. Then there is ctrl-shft-F and ctrl-shft-B to skip 3 hr forward and back. From what I have seen so far WMC appears to be reliable. My only concern now is clock accuracy. My PC clock drifts a bit too much between the times Win-7 chooses to go out and update the time so I've missed 5 sec of a couple recordings that have started right at the hour. That's not a WMC problem. I used to have a small utility for XP that would set the clock at more frequent intervals (like every hour). I'll try to find one for Win-7, otherwise I'll have to use a 1 min pre-padding.
Quote:
For your usage I'd probably not bother with WMC. Frankly, the file converting and whatnot is too messy for me regardless of how nicely it may be implemented.
Actually, with the tweaks for filename and recording location it looks like it will be perfectly suitable for my needs. Operation is simple, Integration with Win-7 is tight. Setting up a season pass is pretty easy and afterwards it should just take care of itself. The .wmv file-type is irrelevant since everything recorded gets edited and saved as .m2ts until I have the whole season before it gets watched. Once set up, I rarely access the Media-PC directly -- it does what it does running all the transfer and server applications it has and puts things in the appropriate shares -- I access the shares from other devices. WMC looks like it will do nicely for this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 927 Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

My only concern now is clock accuracy. My PC clock drifts a bit too much between the times Win-7 chooses to go out and update the time so I've missed 5 sec of a couple recordings that have started right at the hour. That's not a WMC problem. I used to have a small utility for XP that would set the clock at more frequent intervals (like every hour). I'll try to find one for Win-7, otherwise I'll have to use a 1 min pre-padding.
Well this was almost too easy to find. Win-7 has an extensive scheduler. Synchronizing the time to an Internet source is a scheduled event so the interval and task time can be changed to suit one's needs. The default interval is weekly. It appears that as part of the WMC setup process, another event is added to the scheduler to set the clock daily. That's good but depending on the time it sets, it may not help, so you might want to change it. In my case the clock was being set at 1:00am so by the time it got around to recording primetime 19 hr had passed -- so I changed the schedule to trigger the update at 7:30pm to have the most accurate clock at the start of primetime. As this information may be of interest to other WMC users, I post the instructions I found for changing the update schedule (I did modify it a little bit to fit this purpose):

Here is the original link with the unedited version.
Quote:
After entering Administrative tools and going into task scheduler, there is a drop down list in the bottom pane. Use the slider to the right to get to it. It should be the 3rd window down. Use the slider on that window and go down to "synchronize time". Double click on the line for that, and it will open a three pane window. Click once on "Synchronize..." (that's all that will show of "Synchronize Time"). in the right pane, click "Properties". Click once on that and it will open "SynchronizeTime Properties (Local Computer)". Choose the "Triggers" tab. The default is "Weekly - Every Sunday at 1:00 am". Highlight that and click the "edit" button at the bottom of that pane. A new window titled "Edit Trigger" will open. Select the fill-in bubble "daily" in the "settings" section, and enter the desired update time in the adjacent dialog box. Click "OK" on the panes that you can, and close the others.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #363 of 927 Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Has anyone here tried using Media Center Master to organize their recorded TV files? It's mentioned a lot over on the HTPC threads but most of the folks there seem to be using to organize their movie files for Media Browser, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's useful for recorded TV.
post #364 of 927 Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Has anyone here tried using Media Center Master to organize their recorded TV files?

I haven't played with it so I can't help (at all). I can understand people wanting to arrange their TV recordings however I have zero interest in such. Using by Title works great for me and I don't need a Theme to display them similar to XBMC's options. I'm sure we will see such with WMC 2014 (when it ships smile.gif).

Actually, I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 on both of my boxes (from scratch) and left virtually all of the plug-ins, customization, etc behind. WMC (bare) handles DVRing and XBMC handles movie playback (including native HD audio support). The installations are clean as a whistle and pretty much frozen in time. I decided to quit playing around with them as by now I can see their usage patterns and I'm happy with them simply being appliances.

One of the reasons I quit was everything I wanted to try (even some apps I have used in the past) appear to be tied to various downloads add-on apps or even worse malware and or a virus. Giving up I punted (clean installs) and they now do what they do... until I punt again. I think I'm going back to playing around with various NAS devices so I'll probably end up trying out iSCSI and see if I can get my recordings recorded to the NAS. Always need something to play around with...

Update: Have any of you tried the View List option? Under title if you click on Info you get an option to View List... it switches to a much smaller icon of which you can see a lot more shows on each screen.

post #365 of 927 Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using WMC for over 4 months, but primarily to supplement the TiVoHDs (started with 2, now have 3) and Comcast DVRs in the house. However, I didn't spend much time using it as a DVR until the NCAA basketball tournament began about 3 weeks ago, broadcasting games on 4 channels simultaneously the first Thursday and Friday. For that, I used the PIP of the nearby 46" HDTV for the TiVoHD and Comcast inputs and swung my PC's 23" monitor around to use WMC to flip between the other two games. For that purpose, I had put a 3TB drive in the PC before the tournament and was able to record every single game of the tournament in HD (took nearly 2TB to do that!). I could not have done that so easily without WMC.

I'm sure nobody else is such a basketball fan as to have wanted to do that, but part of the reason I did it was to see if I could. Another reason was just in case I really wanted to see any part of any game I may have missed (with 67 games in that short time frame, I missed plenty, LOL). A final reason was to get more experience using WMC as a DVR and media editing center (save some of the best parts and commercial scrub other shows for later viewing).

I was pleasantly surprised that using WMC as a DVR was really not bad on a part time basis, and I could definitely fall back to it on a dedicated HTPC if the need ever arose. It took a few times to get used to the nuances of the remote interface, but once familiar it was almost as simple as using the TiVo. One problem I experienced was when I wanted to break up a long (3 or 4 hours) program into 2 parts, I lost a few seconds due to WMC not recording the buffer of the tuned station. Not being able to record the buffer is still my biggest - and almost insurmountable - gripe.
post #366 of 927 Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

I've been using WMC for over 4 months, but primarily to supplement the TiVoHDs (started with 2, now have 3) and Comcast DVRs in the house. However, I didn't spend much time using it as a DVR until the NCAA basketball tournament began about 3 weeks ago, broadcasting games on 4 channels simultaneously the first Thursday and Friday. For that, I used the PIP of the nearby 46" HDTV for the TiVoHD and Comcast inputs and swung my PC's 23" monitor around to use WMC to flip between the other two games. For that purpose, I had put a 3TB drive in the PC before the tournament and was able to record every single game of the tournament in HD (took nearly 2TB to do that!). I could not have done that so easily without WMC.

I'm sure nobody else is such a basketball fan as to have wanted to do that, but part of the reason I did it was to see if I could. Another reason was just in case I really wanted to see any part of any game I may have missed (with 67 games in that short time frame, I missed plenty, LOL). A final reason was to get more experience using WMC as a DVR and media editing center (save some of the best parts and commercial scrub other shows for later viewing).

I was pleasantly surprised that using WMC as a DVR was really not bad on a part time basis, and I could definitely fall back to it on a dedicated HTPC if the need ever arose. It took a few times to get used to the nuances of the remote interface, but once familiar it was almost as simple as using the TiVo. One problem I experienced was when I wanted to break up a long (3 or 4 hours) program into 2 parts, I lost a few seconds due to WMC not recording the buffer of the tuned station. Not being able to record the buffer is still my biggest - and almost insurmountable - gripe.

Holy crap, how can you watch that many teams and games? I have a tough time picking sides in some of the games where I have zero affiliation, even through friends, and my school's enemies aren't playing.
post #367 of 927 Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Holy crap, how can you watch that many teams and games? I have a tough time picking sides in some of the games where I have zero affiliation, even through friends, and my school's enemies aren't playing.
I didn't watch anywhere near all of them, but I'm a basketball junkie and since CBS stopped giving us a single channel with the key parts of the best games a few years ago, I wanted to be able to see the parts that most interested me.

I doubt if I'm the only one who likes to catch as much as possible of a certain show or series - it's just that my favorite all happens in barely more than two weeks. I know people who didn't miss a single episode of Lost...
post #368 of 927 Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:

I didn't watch anywhere near all of them, but I'm a basketball junkie and since CBS stopped giving us a single channel with the key parts of the best games a few years ago, I wanted to be able to see the parts that most interested me.

I doubt if I'm the only one who likes to catch as much as possible of a certain show or series - it's just that my favorite all happens in barely more than two weeks. I know people who didn't miss a single episode of Lost...
I didn't watch the channel myself, but didn't the CBS Sport Network channel have game look-ins throughout the tourney?
post #369 of 927 Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Wow. I watched a ton of games, but not THAT many!!! Then again, my team wasn't in it this year.
post #370 of 927 Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Ha! Impressive indeed. biggrin.gif I only DVR the games my alma mater is playing in case I want to archive them. Otherwise there's little time to watch any other games before the next set gets going, especially that first weekend.
post #371 of 927 Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I didn't watch the channel myself, but didn't the CBS Sport Network channel have game look-ins throughout the tourney?
I'm not sure about the live look-ins, because I could barely keep up with the 4 live channels as it was, but I do remember seeing replays on CBSSN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

Ha! Impressive indeed. biggrin.gif I only DVR the games my alma mater is playing in case I want to archive them. Otherwise there's little time to watch any other games before the next set gets going, especially that first weekend.
That's pretty much how I've done it when my alma mater is in it, but being that my alma mater is Wash St Univ (Go Cougs!), that's a very rare year, LOL!

Nonetheless, I'm cutting way back on TV for a long while now.
post #372 of 927 Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nonetheless, I'm cutting way back on TV for a long while now.

I have OTA (only) with very few channels and for some reason I have quite a few shows with two or three episodes waiting to be viewed. It looks like 16 hours (minus commercials of course). I think network TV has a lot of quality shows nowadays and this last year there appears to be more than I remember. Of course everyone has their own taste but I think generally you can't deny overall shows like below have some redeeming value (for a lot of people)...

• The Good Wife
  • Person of Interest
  • Bones
  • Touch
  • Shark Tank
  • Golden Boy
  • Elementary
  • New Girl
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • 60 Minutes
  • Rock Center with Brian Williams
  • The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
  • Antiques Roadshow
  • Market Warriors
  • Masterpiece Classic
  • Hannibal
  • A few reality shows I won't start a fight over...

That's roughly half of my scheduled series (off the top of my head) and I tend to watch a decent amount of TV. Sure I'll have to catch the last two seasons of Mad Men and the last season of Dexter although I prefer to binge view them anyway. All and all I can't say I miss pay TV (to any degree) and I have several movies waiting on me if and when I run out of recordings. Throw in the every other month or so binge of Free Cable addon for XBMC and it ain't the money... I don't have the interest or time to have any more channels. smile.gif

post #373 of 927 Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't argue that OTA doesn't offer far more than I have time to view, but I prefer just about any sporting event over anything that's scripted (although some say most sports are scripted too, LOL). Until I abandon my first love (sports), I'm kinda stuck with the heavy price tag. If it gets much heavier I could always cancel until next basketball season, but then my HDHR3-CC would have nothing to do and I'd want to buy another HDHR Dual.
post #374 of 927 Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can't argue that OTA doesn't offer far more than I have time to view, but I prefer just about any sporting event over anything that's scripted (although some say most sports are scripted too, LOL).

I can relate. The last time I signed up for satellite (Dish Absolute HD package) was because of the Tour de France. I love watching the almost month long event and it was worth it for that alone. I also enjoyed the night matches at the US Open (tennis) and such. Now it was only $34 (including HD DVR) so it wasn't exactly a big commitment. When I semi-lost interest in the Tour I decided to give up pay TV... not so much for the money rather to try something different. I keep looking for a reason to go back... and even though there are plenty so far none have found much interest (from me).

post #375 of 927 Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Okay, I could be just plain dumb, but if I'm using Windows Media Center to watch an OTA channel, and I am trying to select the channel (with a Logitech Harmony 700 remote), I can't seem to get it to recognize the "dot" or "dash" button. In other words, I can't select Channel 5.1 or 5-1 because WMC doesn't respond when I press the "." button at the bottom left hand corner of the number pad. Is this right?
post #376 of 927 Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowenap View Post

I can't select Channel 5.1 or 5-1 because WMC doesn't respond when I press the "." button at the bottom left hand corner of the number pad. Is this right?

You'll need to go back to your original remote (the one Harmony is set to emulate) and find out which button is programmed for such. Then either assign whatever Harmony button you wish to it or teach it first (if it isn't mapped by default) then assign it.

I have been using WMC for roughly nine months and I have yet to enter a channel number... not sure I ever did with over a decade of TiVoing.. not that there is anything wrong with it. smile.gif I do use the previous channel at times... not nearly as often since WMC doesn't buffer the channels.

post #377 of 927 Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM

That option is out, I guess, then. I'm running it through and XBox 360 as an extender, of which I never had a remote. I can run it through the guide no problem. I just thought it was odd that WMC didn't recognize it.
post #378 of 927 Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That option is out, I guess, then.

No, it's not. Asterisk isn't mapped (that button is set to clear instead) by Harmony. If you go into change buttons you can assign it to any button on your Harmony and you'll be good to go!

post #379 of 927 Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I think the issue with WMC is a dash or dot MCE command doesn't exist at all, and asterisk won't work. The solution most people use is to simply assign the channels different numbers without dashes or dots, or pick them from the guide as you've been doing all along.
post #380 of 927 Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think the issue with WMC is a dash or dot MCE command doesn't exist at all, and asterisk won't work.

It works great... tested it myself via a Harmony. To be clear Harmony has asterisk mapped for the Xbox 360 it simply doesn't have it assigned to any button. So you need to assign it yourself and at that point it works like a champ.

post #381 of 927 Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I could be just plain dumb, but if I'm using Windows Media Center to watch an OTA channel, and I am trying to select the channel (with a Logitech Harmony 700 remote), I can't seem to get it to recognize the "dot" or "dash" button. In other words, I can't select Channel 5.1 or 5-1 because WMC doesn't respond when I press the "." button at the bottom left hand corner of the number pad. Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

You'll need to go back to your original remote (the one Harmony is set to emulate) and find out which button is programmed for such. Then either assign whatever Harmony button you wish to it or teach it first (if it isn't mapped by default) then assign it.

I have been using WMC for roughly nine months and I have yet to enter a channel number... not sure I ever did with over a decade of TiVoing.. not that there is anything wrong with it. smile.gif
 I do use the previous channel at times... not nearly as often since WMC doesn't buffer the channels.
I guess everyone uses it differently. The lack of a dash (like on TiVo) or a dot (WMC) impacted me as well, and I found myself having to enter the primary channel and then going channel up or channel down to get to the subchannel. I guess a workaround might be to remove the primary channel from the listings and leave the 5.1 (aka 5-1 in. Hopefully, entering 5 would then have it automatically go to the nearest channel match, 5.1. I haven't tried it, but I may.
post #382 of 927 Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess a workaround might be to remove the primary channel from the listings and leave the 5.1 (aka 5-1 in.

For the Xbox (via Harmony) you don't need a workaround as I posted above. I presume the other remotes work as well.

post #383 of 927 Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM

I finally got around to programming the remote. The asterisk doesn't serve as the "dot" button. If I try to input the channel with the TV it does nothing. If I try to input the tv to skip to the correct channel in the guide, it erases the number I just input.
post #384 of 927 Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I finally got around to programming the remote. The asterisk doesn't serve as the "dot" button.

I programmed my Harmony using the Xbox's asterisk to the Favorite 1 button (first button I found not mapped) and it works perfectly... just tried it (again). Pressed 8 - Favorite 1 (.) - 1 and the Xbox changed to 8.1. As I posted before you have to map asterisk as by default it's not assigned to any button. However it's already learned so simply assign it to any button and you are good to go.

post #385 of 927 Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Remember when customizing buttons on harmony, you must do so in the activity as well as the device if you use device mode. Any changes made to the device don't automatically carry over to activities.
post #386 of 927 Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM

That might have been my problem. I will have to check it out when I get home from work.

EDIT: I just mapped it on my activity, and now it works like a charm. While I was at it, I did some more mapping. I'm sure I won't be the first nor the last dork on here to turn the green button into THE Green Button. #rimshot.
post #387 of 927 Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While I was at it, I did some more mapping. I'm sure I won't be the first nor the last dork on here to turn the green button into THE Green Button. #rimshot.

My color buttons are simply mapped to the controller buttons. Now on my HTPC (ORtek VRC-1100) the Harmony is mapped as follows... Start (WMC) - Close - Mute - Sleep. Haven't noticed it in a long time but at times the HTPC would mute its audio while I was doing something... heck if I know what it was.

Anyone hear anything about the new HDHomeRun tuners getting released? They support viewing TV via several streaming (clients). No DVR abilities that I know of so I'm not interested yet... but hopefully it will come along.

post #388 of 927 Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Completely off topic... so pass by if you aren't interested. I have been wanting to move my HTPC (99% used for WMC) back into the den but I need to stream HD movies in there and the HTPC has been it. Using XBMC works great and I have zero complaints. I keep going back and forth... HTPC in the dedicated room... in the den... dedicated room. I'd like it in the den as it's a touch faster than the Xbox (Xbox still faster than TiVo), so I could view movies in there and it's easier for simply messing around. Although, I have pretty well given that up.

To this end I picked up a WD TV Play for $65. It's not the most complete streamer Internet App wise or even the best (by far) local network player. However what it does rather nicely is play HD MKV files with HD audio, Which is exactly what I need. You do need to stream via a media server (from what little testing I did - just found out XBMC has a UPnP server and its image looks superior and since I'm already using it it's a no brainer). I tried Plex on a very low-end PC and it instantly worked. No transcoding, buffering, etc. Just hours of zero issues.

I know the Xbox 360 can play HD movies but I don't think it can handle HD audio. Which would be OK in the den but not the dedicated room. However as stated above I'm keeping WMC clean and I'm not willing to install various software workarounds. Hopefully the new HDHomeRUn tuners will support it. Followed by DVR support (somehow) and there could be a path away from WMC. I love the tiny clients even though I have zero issues with Xbox.

post #389 of 927 Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is this nice laptop I want to buy. It has Windows 8 Home Premium. Does Windows 8 come with WMC now? Or is WMC an add-on?
post #390 of 927 Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 206
IIRC it's not included with Windows 8 Home Premium like it was with Windows 7. You need Windows 8 Professional which is more expensive. Then you can get a key to unlock WMC 8 from Microsoft for $10.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc