Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 799 Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

For the second time in less than 2 weeks, WMC has 'lost' my TV setup. The first time was because the cable company "accidentally" switched off my CableCARD, and I don't yet know what happened this time. Nonetheless, both of these events happened during prime time and it took over an hour to get WMC working again the first time.

I don't recall this EVER happening with any of our 3 TiVos.

Edit:
Yep - it was the CableCARD again - but this time is much worse as all my scheduled recordings are GONE! I WISH I was making this stuff up...

As a former FiOS "Tech", I can assure you that this happened with TiVos often, and Tivo customers were some of the first to yell at us, because I could only troubleshoot the cablecard. If I dared get into anything else, I'd have 3 people in my ear and another standing behind my trying to shut down the call.

As for Myth TV, for FiOS it works with most channels, but not the premiums and not certain events on ESPN, TBS, TNT. They will throw the switch, usually during some important sporting events. I've experimented with Myth, Media Portal and XBMC figuring that WMC has a short future, but its still the only thing that works with all of the channels and events. Just wish there was as dedicated of a third party community as XMBC has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 799 Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Any idea why our local CBS affiliate, which I have a 100% signal strength for OTA and a 90 over Digital Cable, gives me the following error ONLY in WMC?
Code:
No TV Signal

There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel.
The channel may be temporarily off the air, or you may
need to adjust or reconnect your TV antenna.

This has just started happening to me on this channel only over the past couple weeks.

The HDHomerun Signal Meter app on my Nexus 7 (tablet) shows 100% signal strength for this channel for both tuners, and even WMC TV Signal Strength shows full strength, but I'm getting no picture.

Any ideas?
post #543 of 799 Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any idea why our local CBS affiliate, which I have a 100% signal strength for OTA and a 90 over Digital Cable, gives me the following error ONLY in WMC?
Code:
No TV Signal

There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel.
The channel may be temporarily off the air, or you may
need to adjust or reconnect your TV antenna.

This has just started happening to me on this channel only over the past couple weeks.

The HDHomerun Signal Meter app on my Nexus 7 (tablet) shows 100% signal strength for this channel for both tuners, and even WMC TV Signal Strength shows full strength, but I'm getting no picture.

Any ideas?
I found the problem to this one, and I thought I should post it in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

The Cable channel had both ATSC and CableCARD sources configured for it and the OTA channel had two different ATSC channels configured for it. These conflicts caused WMC to report that there was "No TV Signal" for live TV even though recording seemed to work properly.

The remedy was to go to the programming guide, right click on the problem channel, select Edit Channel -> Edit Sources and remove the checkmark(s) next to any incorrect sources. This cleared up the issue.
happy2Lurk likes this.
post #544 of 799 Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

As a former FiOS "Tech", I can assure you that this happened with TiVos often, and Tivo customers were some of the first to yell at us, because I could only troubleshoot the cablecard. If I dared get into anything else, I'd have 3 people in my ear and another standing behind my trying to shut down the call.

As for Myth TV, for FiOS it works with most channels, but not the premiums and not certain events on ESPN, TBS, TNT. They will throw the switch, usually during some important sporting events. I've experimented with Myth, Media Portal and XBMC figuring that WMC has a short future, but its still the only thing that works with all of the channels and events. Just wish there was as dedicated of a third party community as XMBC has.
I don't believe I've ever gotten agitated in the least with our Comcast customer service, even when mistakes were made on their part. The only frustration I've really ever experienced was with the automated menu system when calling in - once I get to a live person the assistance has been nothing short of exemplary. They've been great despite their resources to deal with 3rd party issues being understandably limited.

When I said I had never had this happen with any of our Tivos (to the best of my recollection), I figured it was implied that we haven't had any issues with our particular Tivos in our particular service area with our particular provider. I sure didn't mean to imply that anyone else's experience would be the same, especially in another area with another provider.

I share your concern about the future viability of WMC. Being relatively new/late to the game, I'm surprised there aren't other solutions that offer better functionality with at least as much compatibility as WMC. Any thoughts on why that is? Do you think it's a lack of demand or is it more due to the technicalities of dealing with HDCP?
post #545 of 799 Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Yep - it was the CableCARD again - but this time is much worse as all my scheduled recordings are GONE! I WISH I was making this stuff up...

Not much help but... you can backup your scheduled series and restore them without too much effort. At least that is what I have read as I haven't actually attempted such. A quick google should find you a few links or if you have no luck. You can also backup your channel listings...

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/backup-and-restore-recording-schedule.html

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Not sure these are the best links but it's a start. I know you shouldn't have to deal with it...

post #546 of 799 Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

I share your concern about the future viability of WMC. Being relatively new/late to the game, I'm surprised there aren't other solutions that offer better functionality with at least as much compatibility as WMC. Any thoughts on why that is? Do you think it's a lack of demand or is it more due to the technicalities of dealing with HDCP?
I presume you are asking about other offerings for cable card systems. IMHO it's all about the DRM applied to the content. The Open Source projects don't want anything to do with DRM so their offerings only handle the copy-freely content. Third party commercial authors who could provide a DRM-laced offering would be looking to sell into a small market -- then on top of that you have MS giving away WMC with every copy of Win-7. How do you compete with good and free if you are looking to make money. Even if you make it outstanding, there are far too many people in the space who are willing to put up with all sorts of limitations and short-comings for the sake of "free".

Perhaps now that WMC is terminal and an added cost add-in for Win-8 and likely absent from Win-9, commercial authors may start to see some value in the market space. I'm sure Ceton and Silicon Dust must be cultivating partnerships otherwise their cable card tuner products will be at a severe disadvantage.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #547 of 799 Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope is two-sided I guess... pretty much no sided for those who required protected content.

• XBMC - I gave their DVR front-end another attempt when creating a OpenELEC USB drive. It booted my HTPC in XBMC and worked like a champ. I got about halfway through setting up the HDHomeRun tuners and punted. Figured I would be best served working through it with a real installation and not my proof of concept. I'm considering building a NUC for XBMC and having Live TV would be a plus... not to mention DVRing. I really wish a company would come along and market a well executed Add-on for XBMC. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price especially since the freebie versions appear rather iffy... at least as far as getting up to speed on.

• SilconDust - Their new tuners support DLNA and long term they have referenced DVR support... how, when, etc is completely unknown.
post #548 of 799 Old 06-25-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

For the second time in less than 2 weeks, WMC has 'lost' my TV setup. The first time was because the cable company "accidentally" switched off my CableCARD, and I don't yet know what happened this time. Nonetheless, both of these events happened during prime time and it took over an hour to get WMC working again the first time.

I don't recall this EVER happening with any of our 3 TiVos.

Edit:

I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard that a piece of shareware called MCE Reset Toolbox will let you back up and restore your WMC setup. Also lets you customize WMC's look (with themes) and program guide.

HTH
post #549 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been looking for a program to create video files from recordings with the commercials permanently removed (so they can be burned to DVDs, for instance). I discovered a program called MCE Buddy that works well for a completely automated solution. It even looks up your recordings in the TVDB or IMDB on the Internet and inserts season & episode numbers into the converted file, so you can watch the shows in the order they aired originally even if the recording lacks the original air date (as happens occasionally). The only problem is that it's a bit too automated for my taste: I'd prefer to tweak the commercial edits discovered by Show Analyzer before creating an edited file, but MCE Buddy is designed to convert the files as soon as they're recorded. frown.gif

Another possibility was the video editor included in DVRMS Toolbox (henceforth DTB). It looked just about perfect for tweaking Show Analyzer's edits and writing a new video file. Unfortunately it seems rather buggy, and it's even more poorly documented than the rest of DTB. I couldn't even get the latest version (1.2.2.5) to open .WTV files, although it would open, say, .TS files OK. I tried earlier versions and discovered that if I went back to version 1.2.2.0 it would open .WTV files, but I could only output the edited file as a .MKV, and I had audio/video sync problems to boot. frown.gif

But I discovered I can use the DTB video editor just to tweak the commercial edits and write the tweaked .EDL files, then use MCE Buddy to produce the final edited video. smile.gif It's a bit cumbersome but here's what I did:
  1. Set up DTB to run ShowAnalyzer automatically on all recordings, just as you would for skipping commercials during playback. This produces a "first draft" of commercial edits
  2. Created a "to be converted" folder and set MCE Buddy up to monitor and convert files found there (removing commercials of course)

Then I follow these steps for each recording:
  1. Load the recording into the DTB video editor (version 1.2.2.0). It automatically loads ShowAnalyzer's edits
  2. Tweak the commercial edits as needed
  3. Click the "Save .EDL" button to save the tweaked edits
  4. Copy/move the .EDL file to my "to be converted" folder
  5. Copy/move the corresponding .WTV file
  6. Wait for MCE Buddy to do the conversion, then remove the files from "to be converted"

If this is all you use MCE Buddy for, you could configure it to delete the video files from "to be converted" automatically after converting them. But the "delete after converting" option is global and I've started using MCE Buddy for other conversion tasks too, so I clean up my "to be converted" folder manually. (I'd have to manually delete the .EDL files anyhow.)

In steps 4 & 5, I typically copy the files rather than moving them, so I can still watch them in WMC's Recorded TV. But I noticed the DTB commercial-skip add-in doesn't read the edited .EDL files. Instead it reads the .chapters.XML files that ShowAnalyzer also creates. That means my tweaks have no effect when watching in Recorded TV; the "first draft" edits discovered by ShowAnalyzer are used instead. But the converted files that MCE Buddy creates do use the tweaked edits, so they're suitable, e.g., for burning to DVD.

Tweaking ShowAnalyzer's edits with the DTB video editor is the most cumbersome step, but it's the only free, simple video editor I've found that reads & writes Show Analyzer's .EDL files. Besides, it's not too bad once you get the hang of it, as long as you only have a few shows each week to edit.
post #550 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Another choice is Video ReDo H.264. VRD does it all in one program with an easy editing interface and very few bugs. Reads native TiVo and non-protected WMC files; automatic commercial marking; full frame-accurate editing to tweak the commercial blocks; save in your choice of multiple formats and containers such as recoding to H.264 or downscaling HD to SD for burning onto DVD; full DVD authoring/burning. It will even save an edited TiVo or WMC file back in its original file structure preserving all the embedded meta-data. I've been using it for editing my TiVo captures and now my WMC captures before sending them to my server farm. It has a batch mode for running a bunch of files through commercial detection. It generally takes no more than 5-10 min of my time per title to proof the commercial blocks and tweak the start and stop points. You can then use batch mode to do the actual cuts, recode and/or save the titles, unattended.

Of course, a program like this is not free.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #551 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I've heard good things about Video Redo. Of course it's $50 IIRC, but if you need all its features, it's certainly worth it. For my purposes, I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks, but I'd like to keep the total under $20. Already spent $30 on Show Analyzer and I only budgeted $50 for my "commercial removal" account, so I'll limp along with the free stuff for a while longer wink.gif

I'm surprised at how good some of the free software is. MCE Buddy really impressed me, even though it's not (quite) what I was looking for. If I keep using it, I'll send them a few bucks to support further development.

BTW, for those on Win 8, Andy has a Win 8 version of the DTB commercial skipping add-in. But it's an "early access" release (i.e., not free yet). I think early access only costs $10 though.
post #552 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

BTW, for those on Win 8, Andy has a Win 8 version of the DTB commercial skipping add-in. But it's an "early access" release (i.e., not free yet). I think early access only costs $10 though.

As the saying goes I have sleep since then... but way back I tried his early release for Windows 8 without any success... not sure I got past the install/configure phase. He was nice enough to give me access. Perhaps, it has been updated since and if so I'd be interested in taking another pass. I had zero issues using it with Windows 7 although the commercial guessing wasn't that good. I spent a lot of time manually correcting it while viewing and I really disliked when it would advance to the end of the recording (typically bypassing next week's attractions) and you had to start the show over to see what you missed.

Just curious what do you guys do with all of these recordings you capture/keep around? I can't keep up with what I record... and I haven't watched a repeat in longer than I can remember... zero interest. Now I'm not knocking it... simply can't see the concept (at least for me).

post #553 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Just curious what do you guys do with all of these recordings you capture/keep around? I can't keep up with what I record... and I haven't watched a repeat in longer than I can remember
In my case, I hate getting interested in a serialized show with continuing plot and season-long story arc, only to be cut off at the knees when the network takes a 3-4 month break (Dec. - Mar.) in the middle of the season. So I collect them, edit out the commercials and put them on a server to save for the summer. Then I can stream them with my media players and watch the entire season in a block. Even being OTA-only, we are never at a loss for content to fill the limited time we have for viewing so in some cases, where I'm the only one interested in the show, I may collect several seasons or even the entire series before getting around to watching -- such is the case with Fringe, I'm currently in the middle of Season 3. When done, I have Grimm, Arrow and Once Upon a Time waiting in the wings -- that is if I can get to them before the Fall season starts up.

Then there is nothing worse than getting hooked on a new series only to have it canceled mid-season (666 Park Ave, Zero Hour, Last Resort) or be a one-n-done (Vegas). So, I especially like to collect episodes of these new series with the intent of not watching until I know whether the show finishes its season run and gets renewed or not. If not, it gets flushed from the server without me ever having wasted time on it -- all those first year shows I just cited were flushed.

I rarely watch any series twice -- at least not by choice. My daughter likes to re-watch certain series so I leave those on the server for her -- she has a media player in her room.

- kelson h

post #554 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't believe I've ever gotten agitated in the least with our Comcast customer service, even when mistakes were made on their part. The only frustration I've really ever experienced was with the automated menu system when calling in - once I get to a live person the assistance has been nothing short of exemplary. They've been great despite their resources to deal with 3rd party issues being understandably limited.

When I said I had never had this happen with any of our Tivos (to the best of my recollection), I figured it was implied that we haven't had any issues with our particular Tivos in our particular service area with our particular provider. I sure didn't mean to imply that anyone else's experience would be the same, especially in another area with another provider.

First of all, its expensive to obtain the licenses to build cable card devices. Then, the program that uses it has to do the same. I believe those are the biggest barriers. Second of all, it appeared to be a lengthy process for Microsoft. I think that's why no one else has even tried(as far as anyone knows)

The functionality with WMC is fine. I'm not exactly sure what functionality is missing. They had the extender system before any of the cable cos. They just don't do softsled because, well, Microsoft went through legitimate means that simply don't allow it. Where WMC lacks is having what I call an ADD interface and their initial offering of internet streaming was weak as they were trying to again go through legitimate means as well as having a polished product. The internet TV interface was absolutely beautiful though. It just shocks me that the development community didn't get behind it or create a third party solution that was similar just based off of its interface and look alone. Still a much better look and easier movement than any of the XMBC plugins. A Navi-X port in that style would have crushed buildings. Look how nice plugins like MyMovies is with WMC. Its still a platform that could be great because Microsoft did all of the hard things that your average developer couldn't. Now if we could get some of these XBMC developer interest, we'd finally have an actual complete solution that Microsoft for some reason didn't want to do with the Xbox One.
post #555 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had zero issues using it with Windows 7 although the commercial guessing wasn't that good. I spent a lot of time manually correcting it while viewing and I really disliked when it would advance to the end of the recording (typically bypassing next week's attractions) and you had to start the show over to see what you missed.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, but if you have the latest version (1.1) of Show Analyzer, this article shows you how to tweak it for each series you record. I doubt you can really get to 100%, but version 1.1 includes profiles so you can tweak commercial detection settings on a per-series basis rather than globally.
post #556 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

In my case, I hate getting interested in a serialized show with continuing plot and season-long story arc, only to be cut off at the knees when the network takes a 3-4 month break (Dec. - Mar.) in the middle of the season. So I collect them, edit out the commercials and put them on a server to save for the summer.

Then there is nothing worse than getting hooked on a new series only to have it canceled mid-season (666 Park Ave, Zero Hour, Last Resort) or be a one-n-done (Vegas). So, I especially like to collect episodes of these new series with the intent of not watching until I know whether the show finishes its season run and gets renewed or not.

I binge via streaming at times. This last month I have watched the previous season of Mad Men, the last season of Weeds, House of Cards and a few other things. Regarding TV I watch a fair amount of reality (blame it on my wife - not really) and I'm not batching them and I don't care at all if a series gets cancelled outside of the fact I'll miss future episodes. I figure a movie is two hours and it's the adventure not the destination. Heck a finale is only a point in time anyway.

A show like The Good Wife I'm not waiting on... I look forward to it and want to catch it as soon as possible.

post #557 of 799 Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still a much better look and easier movement than any of the XMBC plugins.

I have been some what impressed with Free Cable. It's a bit unruly but at least you know whatever you find is legal to view. Regarding WMC Microsoft gave up many, many years ago and the community has virtually zero interest in carrying on.

post #558 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I guess the perfect storm struck. The other day we had a bolt come close to the house and fried four out of hundreds of possible things so all and all I was extremely lucky! It took out the Ethernet port on my Mac Mini (everything else works 100%) so I decided to sell it. Once I got a bid I was committed and starting debating NUC, Shuttle, or bottom end PC at Fry's (a whopping $199). My mind said low-end but my heart said NUC or Shuttle (I assembled one a long time ago). Digging more I decided the NUC was too confining as it might be used for Media Center however it might play other roles as well.

Today, I saw you can download Windows 8.1 Preview (currently doing such as I type). So that removed the OS question regarding what I should use. Hopefully, like my Mac Mini they will offer an upgrade from Preview to release (at the great price). If not, it's no biggie as I can simply install whatever down the road. All my data I care about resides on a NAS.

My local Fry's had the best price on everything outside of the Shuttle itself which I had them price match. Here's a few before and after shots. I just booted it up via the Windows 8 install disc and so far so good. I went with a i3 (2125), 8GB and a 128GB SSD. I have an external Blu-ray drive so I passed on one. Bottom line right at a cheap i3 notebook or desktop (under $400). Of course I still need the OS. Hopefully I can get Media Center running on it to make it remotely related to this thread. smile.gif Only thing with the build is the CPU paste... being anal-retentive I'll worry forever if I got it just right!

post #559 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 28
Quote:

Today, I saw you can download Windows 8.1 Preview (currently doing such as I type). So that removed the OS question regarding what I should use. Hopefully, like my Mac Mini they will offer an upgrade from Preview to release (at the great price). If not, it's no biggie as I can simply install whatever down the road.

Charles,

Sorry about your equipment loss. Some good news: Windows 8.1 will be a free update.

Mark
post #560 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Which Shuttle is that. I built an SH67H3 back in late Feb for my Media-PC with i3, 12GB, a pair of Seagate 2TB drives, BD-ROM and Win-7 Pro. I came in around $650. I wasn't looking for cheap. The Shuttle is an incredibly solid performer running 24x7. The i3 gives it plenty of power to run the multiple server tasks it does -- including WMC. It now has a Mediasonic 4-bay eSATA box attached that is filling up with 3TB drives.

- kelson h

post #561 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You did get Win 8 Pro, right?
post #562 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Which Shuttle is that.

It's the XH61V. Nothing fancy... supports the 1155 socket and has USB3 ports. Very small and much quieter than my Mac Mini... I require a silent PC. The Windows 8.1 Preview comes with Pro and Media Center (times out 1/15/14 I believe). I copied the install ISO to a thumb drive and installed it from there. Only took a few minutes and I'm posting this with the Shuttle.

Update: I installed WMC without issue. I just had to use one of my older keys. Going to install HDHomeRun drivers and check it out.

Update: Well the only thing I can say about WMC is they didn't delete in the 8.1 Preview. Nothing new... move on. smile.gif

post #563 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You did get Win 8 Pro, right?

To be clear I didn't purchase any OS. Rather I downloaded the 8.1 Preview and installed the ISO via a USB thumb drive. Using the Preview key which expires next year. I wanted to test/burn in the PC before I purchased an OS. I'm not sure what OS I want at this point so the Preview came out at a great time. Plus, there is an outside chance I might price match/swap a component or two within 30-days so re-installing won't be an issue.

post #564 of 799 Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been looking for a program to create video files from recordings with the commercials permanently removed (so they can be burned to DVDs, for instance). I discovered a program called MCE Buddy that works well for a completely automated solution. It even looks up your recordings in the TVDB or IMDB on the Internet and inserts season & episode numbers into the converted file, so you can watch the shows in the order they aired originally even if the recording lacks the original air date (as happens occasionally). The only problem is that it's a bit too automated for my taste: I'd prefer to tweak the commercial edits discovered by Show Analyzer before creating an edited file, but MCE Buddy is designed to convert the files as soon as they're recorded. frown.gif
You've got to try VideoRedo TVSuite H.264 with the free VAP (VideoReDo-Autoprocessor Program). It preserves all the metadata and automatically verifies it against the database at thetvdb.com to supplement anything missing from the WTV properties. I mentioned it a few pages back. I love it!
Quote:

...The functionality with WMC is fine. I'm not exactly sure what functionality is missing....
Well, the one thing I have a really difficult time adjusting to is the inability to retain the live buffer with a program that I watch for a few minutes before deciding to record. As I've mentioned a few times, I watch a ton of sports with not enough time to do so, so I'm constantly switching between games during football and basketball season. If I see a great play with the TiVo, I can hit record and save it to show someone else later. With WMC, it's virtually impossible unless I'm lucky enough to be able to parse it out of the tmp files in their hidden folder. This is often impossible because when channel flipping WMC keeps multiple recording formats all in the same buffer file which cannot be edited with any tools I have.

Other than that, WMC is pretty darn good.
post #565 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Liked: 28
Quote:

To be clear I didn't purchase any OS. Rather I downloaded the 8.1 Preview and installed the ISO via a USB thumb drive. Using the Preview key which expires next year. I wanted to test/burn in the PC before I purchased an OS. I'm not sure what OS I want at this point so the Preview came out at a great time. Plus, there is an outside chance I might price match/swap a component or two within 30-days so re-installing won't be an issue.

I assumed you had an extra copy of Win8 that you had purchased for $15, and therefore would have installed that, since Win 8.1 will be a free upgrade.

Mark
post #566 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I assumed you had an extra copy of Win8 that you had purchased for $15, and therefore would have installed that, since Win 8.1 will be a free upgrade.

I wish. smile.gif Hopefully XBMC or SilconDust will come around within six months and I could install OpenELEC on this and use my current HTPC for my desktop.

post #567 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've got to try VideoRedo TVSuite H.264 with the free VAP (VideoReDo-Autoprocessor Program). It preserves all the metadata and automatically verifies it against the database at thetvdb.com to supplement anything missing from the WTV properties. I mentioned it a few pages back. I love it!
If I get into this in a big way I'll definitely try Video Redo out. Right now I'm only doing a couple of shows a week, so my cumbersome but free method is fine.

BTW, I had to go back to version 1.2.1.9 of DVRMS Toolbox - I had a lot of stability problems with both the File Watcher and the commercial skipping add-in at version 1.2.2.0.

Edit: Back on 1.2.2.0 now. I think the stability problems were an incompatibility between 1.2.2.0 and version 1.0.0.0 of the add-in. Upgraded the add-in to 1.0.0.7 (which was a major hassle since Andy forces you to uninstall before installing a newer version, and with the add-in both actions require a reboot) and haven't had stability problems this time.
Quote:

Well, the one thing I have a really difficult time adjusting to is the inability to retain the live buffer with a program that I watch for a few minutes before deciding to record. As I've mentioned a few times, I watch a ton of sports with not enough time to do so, so I'm constantly switching between games during football and basketball season. If I see a great play with the TiVo, I can hit record and save it to show someone else later.

Other than that, WMC is pretty darn good.

I agree; that's why I usually watch live TV with a DTVPal. If I decide to record I just hit the Record button, choose "Record entire event," and the buffer is captured. WMC is much better, though, for unattended recordings that I want to watch later, edit, burn to DVDs, etc.

The TiVo's the only DVR solution I know of that buffers multiple channels at once, though. Even with the DTVPal, if I flip channels I lose the buffer.
post #568 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

As the saying goes I have sleep since then... but way back I tried his early release for Windows 8 without any success... not sure I got past the install/configure phase. He was nice enough to give me access. Perhaps, it has been updated since and if so I'd be interested in taking another pass.

Win 8, yes; Win 8.1, no: looks like this will be a continuing issue for anyone who insists on keeping up with Micro$oft rolleyes.gif

I went ahead and downloaded the Win 8.1 preview .ISO on my work PC yesterday (it only took an hour and change at work - would've taken all night at home). I need to pick up a cheap 4GB thumb drive somewhere to bring it home on; eventually I'll put my Win 8 HDD back into my HTPC and try it out.
post #569 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Win 8, yes; Win 8.1, no: looks like this will be a continuing issue for anyone who insists on keeping up with Micro$oft rolleyes.gif

Someone has commercial skip working in Windows 8? Any links to the install process? Not sure I want to bastardize my installation since its success rate wasn't all that good. But who knows I'd be willing to try on this new box... I wonder why 8.1 doesn't work and 8.0 does. I just found out my Sony camera's storage can't be accessed on 8.1 and it was fine with 8.0... it is a very old camera.

post #570 of 799 Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The poster claimed he had version 1.008R3 of the DTB add-in running on Win 8. That's a donator version but you mentioned that Andy gave you access. Don't know if that's still good; if not, it's only a $10 donation and it also gets you the latest version of the DTB package itself. (BTW, I'm curious if the donator version of the DTB video editor fixes the bug loading .WTV files. Is anyone using it who can test this?)

As I understand it your (lack of) success with skipping commercials was a function of Show Analyzer, not the DTB. It was working; it just skipped too much! If the new Show Analyzer profiles don't help (or if they're just more trouble than they're worth), you might give Comskip a try instead. Comskip is a different developer, but it's available under the same model as DTB: you can use an older version for free or make a donation to Comskip's author for access to the latest version. I think the DTB package includes the latest free version of Comskip. So does MCE Buddy.

I think Show Analyzer was the better choice at the time, but it isn't really being developed any more, while Comskip is, so it (particularly the donator version) may do the better job now.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page