Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 1061 Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
The guide data is not as accurate as Tivo's even though they come from the same provider. This usually affects series, not so much sports. But hey, it's free.

Eps are grouped together and named by title and date-sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1061 Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the HD home run. It is great. Just about everything you have done, I did. One difference is that I didn't sell the TIVO. My wife loves it.. I would have to rip it from her cold dead hands. The interface is super easy. Most importantly, if something goes wrong, she doesn't blame me. One addition is that I have a Vulkano stashed at my son's house and we use that for the little bit of cable that we watch. (Both ends are on FIOS, Data rate is about 2 mega bits. Display is 42 inch plasma.) Thanks for documenting your experiment.
post #33 of 1061 Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimes74 View Post

1. Swapping tuners, tivo-style, is this out?
2. Grouping of series
3. Do you find the guide data accurate?

1 - WMC only buffers one tuner (at a time). So you're out of luck and if I remember correctly the buffer switches to the channel you are currently viewing. Such that you can't watch one channel live and go back to the original and pick up where you left off. On the plus side it's very easy to switch back and forth (one button). Of course you could record both shows which would require a little more effort to bounce between.

2 - No folders. By default the recordings are grouped by the date recorded and you can sort via a few methods such as title, original air date and shared (shared libraries on your network).

3 - So far so good. I noticed yesterday Bones wasn't marked as a repeat. It was listed as a two-hour episode instead of back to back (repeats). Not sure why however overall I have no complaints.

Of late I have been using Hulu quite a bit. Having it available in WMC's menu is handy and being a cord cutter it fills in nicely a couple of times a year when original programming is hard to come by. Using my Harmony remote I never see the Desktop. Harmony is coming out with a new line so I gave a whopping $20 for the 300 model. Button wise it matches perfectly with the ORTek and of course you gain control of your TV, AVR and whatnot. Pretty much turns your experience into a AV device and leaves the computer behind.

Regarding your concern about switching to WMC from TiVo I think to a large degree it's an easy one. Cost I consider a wash. Ease of use goes to TiVo however if you throw in a Harmony WMC is close enough the moment you use the PC/WMC for anything else (in my case Hulu and XBMC - both driven from WMC) it becomes a no-brainer. Throw in a few of the side benefits such of using your tuners (or recording) on your PC, Macs and laptops and you justify an issue here and there to my thinking.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W + AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build | WMC/DVBLink/TiVo DVR
post #34 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Charles R,

I was wondering if you can help me with something. Some of the Seinfeld reruns I recorded have noticeable wavy, jagged edges around the faces of people, door frames, window frames, tree branches, etc. These videos play without any of these problems on the TVix DVR. The problems only occur when played on the laptop. At first I thought it was my cheap netbook that is not capable of displaying the videos correctly. So I played them on newer laptops with Ivy Bridge and HD 4000. The problems still occur on newer and more powerful laptops. I don't know what to do. It's driving me crazy.

Could you record some of the Seinfeld reruns and see if you have the same problems playing them back on your computer? Thanks a lot.
post #35 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Some of the Seinfeld reruns I recorded have noticeable wavy, jagged edges around the faces of people, door frames, window frames, tree branches, etc.

By some I'm presuming you mean not all? If it's only some it sounds like a source issue. If it's all of them it sounds like a scaling issue. What resolution is the source and the laptop? Do the jagged edges appear the same in a smaller windows and full screen?

| Home Theatre Tweets |
120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W + AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build | WMC/DVBLink/TiVo DVR
post #36 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

3 - So far so good. I noticed yesterday Bones wasn't marked as a repeat. It was listed as a two-hour episode instead of back to back (repeats). Not sure why however overall I have no complaints.

This wasn't just a WMC problem. The schedule provider (Rovi?) made the mistake. My Dish DVR had this scheduled as a new program too (when I looked at my timers via the Dish Online website). So I cancelled it before it could record.
post #37 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

2 - No folders. By default the recordings are grouped by the date recorded and you can sort via a few methods such as title, original air date and shared (shared libraries on your network).

Not quite, if you view by title then recordings are put into "folders" for each show.
post #38 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

Not quite, if you view by title then recordings are put into "folders" for each show.

Thanks! I'm still new and a watch and delete kind of guy. :)

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #39 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By some I'm presuming you mean not all? If it's only some it sounds like a source issue. If it's all of them it sounds like a scaling issue. What resolution is the source and the laptop? Do the jagged edges appear the same in a smaller windows and full screen?

Yes only some of the videos have these problems. The thing I don't understand is they play fine on the TVix DVR. This is why I am still keeping the DVR. The problems only occur when played on laptops. The source is 1080P. The problems occur in both smaller and full screens. I should note that the problems occur when there is some motion -- people moving around, etc.
post #40 of 1061 Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

The problems only occur when played on laptops. The source is 1080P. The problems occur in both smaller and full screens. I should note that the problems occur when there is some motion -- people moving around, etc.

How is the source 1080p if you are recording OTA? If it's only noticeable on your laptop(s) it doesn't look at be WMC related. Rather your display. Any chance you can connect the laptop to a monitor or TV? Have you tried updating the video drivers... can't hurt.

Just so happens Seinfeld is on right now and I'm watching it on my Mac Mini Windows 8 WMC. It's HD and looks fine. My Mac Mini is about as under powered as can be and I'm using a 1080p monitor. Surprisingly, it's even one I don't remember!

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #41 of 1061 Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

It turned out to be an interlace problem. Turning on "de interlace" in VLC fixed it.. It's all good now. Thanks for trying to help.
post #42 of 1061 Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Four Tuners

The above proved handy last night as I was recording three shows and still got to watch the men's US Open tennis final.

Also, I have cured the PC of waking itself up for seemingly no reason and going back to sleep. I recommend going through the Task Scheduler and disabling various tasks or making sure they aren't allowed to wake the computer. Also, I found a program that will quiet your drive and I'll link to it in the first post. I tried another program and it appeared to make it louder.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #43 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Xbox 360 Windows Media Center Extender

After beating on the Xbox 360 for a few days I must say I'm reasonably impressed. Adding the extender to WMC is effortless. Simply enter a 8-digit code and you are good to go. The Xbox 360 is configured to bring up Media Center when it is turned on although it does take a minute or so as I have my WMC PC set to hibernate and it takes a while to wake up. The Xbox 360 waits nicely and before too long you have the typically WMC interface.

I was concerned about lag and there is a tiny amount compared to using the WMC PC itself. Nothing of real concern as the other day I was recording four shows and viewing a recording on the Xbox 360 and the interface was plenty fast with just a little delay in button presses. I'm using the harmony to control the Xbox 360 and it works great. You can even move around the Xbox 360's interface beyond the Media Center app rather easily. Also, the controller is fairly easy to use in Media Center outside of losing volume control (via my Denon receiver). 

If you use a typical installation of WMC you can't even tell you are using an extender. In my case I lose HD Audio (for MKV files) and the ability to load Hulu and XBMC from Extras. Beyond that the experience is identical and obviously the Xbox 360 brings many features of its own. Kinect isn't available for Media Center however looking around I found a version of it is available for WMC on a PC (cost $7).

I'm still some what resentful that streaming devices like Roku, WDTV Live and others aren't supported as extenders. With WMC being put out to die by Microsoft I guess it doesn't matter all that much as the entire platform appears dated if not (virtually) dead. Using an extender versus another PC has the advantage of being able to control all aspects of the WMC PC such as scheduling and deleting recordings where with another WMC PC you can only share media libraries (think more or less read only rights).

Of course you could convert your recordings to another format and use one of the above streamers. However I'm way too much of a commercial delayed viewer (start viewing live after a commercial buffer has been recorded) for this to be a viable option. And once I have viewed the content it's deleted... I have no reason to view it again. So for me it's another PC or Xbox 360 which ends up either $300 or $180 and various advantages and or differences. Far too many to make a judgement call as to which is better. Another option is retrofitting an old PC by adding a HDMI video card for $40 or so (see details in the first post) which is one I'm currently debating... Xbox 360 versus reworked PC... I'm leaning both ways right now. :)

Cabal0 likes this.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #44 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another new entry to the WMC Extender market is the Ceton Echo, which goes on sale next month for $180. We currently have two Xbox's and one Linksys DMA2200 in use as extenders, and while I was looking forward to evaluating the Echo, the higher price tag and lack of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon video means we'll likely spring for another Xbox instead, perhaps a Black Friday special.
post #45 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

We currently have two Xbox's and one Linksys DMA2200 in use as extenders, and while I was looking forward to evaluating the Echo, the higher price tag and lack of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon video means we'll like spring for another Xbox instead, perhaps a Black Friday special.

I agree. As I tend to punt (on occasion) I see next to zero resale value with the Echo and outside of a browser nothing it brings to the mix to justify the cost. In an ideal world I'd like to see someone like these guys create a market...

They (supposedly) will offer external storage (not network storage which would be preferable) and apps for various streamers starting with Roku. Their model is only a single tuner (doubling the price for most users) and will have a low monthly fee for advance features (scheduling). So to a large degree it's outdated before it ever ships. It was announced over a year ago (if I remember correctly) and still hasn't shipped and their support forum looks almost like a ghost town.

Perhaps Microsoft would/could sell off their WMC code and another company could do further development and market it along with creating apps for various streamers. Not sure how Microsoft provides the guide data for free (anyone know?) but to my thinking $5 a month seems fair, $100 for WMC license and $25 (or so) for the various streaming apps. If /when the TiVo mini expands to TVs they will be playing into the market to some degree.

One real hope is XBMC. They have merged the DVR code into their mainstream code so with the next release it should be fully supported. I tried playing around with the latest Beta and punted after attempting to get two of their (required) back-ends up and running. One has a pay guide service so I stopped there (since I was just playing) and the other didn't like me at all... various issues and the app felt so dated I lost interest thinking it would be irelevant (before long). Once they ship the next release I'll revisit it and see what's up.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #46 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Perhaps Microsoft would/could sell off their WMC code and another company could do further development and market it along with creating apps for various streamers. Not sure how Microsoft provides the guide data for free (anyone know?) but to my thinking $5 a month seems fair, $100 for WMC license and $25 (or so) for the various streaming apps. If /when the TiVo mini expands to TVs they will be playing into the market to some degree.
I believe the license agreement you agree to on the guide listings give them access to send off (sell) your usage patterns - which I'm okay with.

One of the major appeals to WMC for me (besides supporting CableCard well, even though we've gone OTA) is that it's already included in my Windows OS and there's no extra monthly fees. Replacing it with a fee-laden design would not be very interesting to me.
post #47 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

One of the major appeals to WMC for me (besides supporting CableCard well, even though we've gone OTA) is that it's already included in my Windows OS and there's no extra monthly fees. Replacing it with a fee-laden design would not be very interesting to me.

I understand everyone wants a free lunch (including me). Starting with Windows 8 it isn't included in any version so that free lunch is over. Regarding guide data what guarantee is there it will remain free?

I tend to value it more so on what it offers compared to competing products. Obviously WMC isn't valuable to Microsoft such that it has been frozen in time for several years. They have found zero reason to advance it. What happens if tomorrow the guide service is dropped or becomes fee based? I'd much rather have in place a solution that's sustainable. 

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #48 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 327

Microsoft is offering "free lunch" for a limited time, which I believe is January 31, 2013.

From th Blogging Windows blog 7/2/2012:

Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

post #49 of 1061 Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Microsoft is offering "free lunch" for a limited time, which I believe is January 31, 2013.

Yep. With a recent PC purchase it's as low as $15. Although that's an upgrade not a new license. Using Windows 8 to post this even $15 might be stretching it. :)

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #50 of 1061 Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

One real hope is XBMC. They have merged the DVR code into their mainstream code so with the next release it should be fully supported. I tried playing around with the latest Beta and punted after attempting to get two of their (required) back-ends up and running. One has a pay guide service so I stopped there (since I was just playing) and the other didn't like me at all... various issues and the app felt so dated I lost interest thinking it would be irelevant (before long). Once they ship the next release I'll revisit it and see what's up.

Only problem with XBMC is they'll never have CableCard support, IMO. Or I should say the chances are so small as to be non-existent.
post #51 of 1061 Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

Only problem with XBMC is they'll never have CableCard support, IMO. Or I should say the chances are so small as to be non-existent.
I can't speak for the XBMC project, but Ceton has released Linux drivers, so that's a start:

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/linux_drivers/

Do any of the open source projects have a mature Extender-style model yet? I prefer keeping all my storage and tuners/access to coax in one location.
post #52 of 1061 Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I agree. As I tend to punt (on occasion) I see next to zero resale value with the Echo and outside of a browser nothing it brings to the mix to justify the cost. In an ideal world I'd like to see someone like these guys create a market...

They (supposedly) will offer external storage (not network storage which would be preferable) and apps for various streamers starting with Roku. Their model is only a single tuner (doubling the price for most users) and will have a low monthly fee for advance features (scheduling). So to a large degree it's outdated before it ever ships. It was announced over a year ago (if I remember correctly) and still hasn't shipped and their support forum looks almost like a ghost town.

I remember reading about the Simple.TV but I completely forgot about it since I haven't heard anything about for a long time. It sounds like a great device for cord cutters and Roku users for sure. Unfortunately they only have a single tuner version it seems. I would have though it should have came with a Dual Tuner version at least.
post #53 of 1061 Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Commercial Skipping

I added a section to the first post covering commercial skipping. The process is much slicker than I thought including two items I wasn't aware of...

• The recording itself isn't altered
  • You can commercial skip while the recording is still in process

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #54 of 1061 Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
about the remotes - i was searching for a remote that supports

1) WMC (MCE compatible)
2) control my TV's power and volume
3) preferable without any IR blaster/emitter.

I finally pulled the trigger on this one by inteset. the feature set sounds very promising... Let me see how it goes..

and thanks on the great write up - i plan on using atleast 2 features that you mention in very near future - commercial skipping (and probably an extender)
post #55 of 1061 Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsriram22 View Post

I finally pulled the trigger on this one by inteset. the feature set sounds very promising... Let me see how it goes.

I would recommend going with the least expensive IR receiver you can find and buying/using a Harmony remote. I got their 300 series for $20 and it effortlessly controls other devices (AV receiver/TV/etc) and replaces the PC remote 100%. Also, if you decide to punt down the road you still have a nice remote. The programming flexibility of the Harmony is hard to beat.

Regarding commercial skipping I upped my Workers to 4 (which equals the number of tuners I have) and have seen zero lag and everything is being scanned as it's recorded. Skipping isn't prefect but I'm still guessing around 90% of the time it's dead on. The other day it skipped the opening of a show and it tends to get confused (most often) at the beginning of the recording. Starting a minute early the previous show is typically still on and switching to the next show will at times confuse the process so the commercials won't be skipped. It is real easy to bypass and based on the show real easy to notice if something when wrong.
Cabal0 likes this.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #56 of 1061 Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:

Background
Note: To playback TrueHD (or PCM) you need to run 64bit Settings Application (as admin) and change MKV - Playback from Use Haali... to Use LAV's splitter. I could still stream DTS-HD MA so I didn't switch it back for the other bitstream codecs. To go beyond PCM 2.0 channel playback you need to go to Control Panel - Sound - Configure and set the actual number of speakers you will be using. Once done you need to set this back to Stereo or bitstream won't work. Without making these changes WMC will act like the files are not found, defective or whatnot. (TrueHD or PCM you either get no sound or 2.0).

Ok, I was playing around last night trying to change the audio to DTS-HD, but was not quite sure what it means above to set back to 'Stereo'? When I look at the Control Panel > Sounds, there is the default sound and then there is the AMD HDMI one. The default has configuration up to 7.1, but the AMD HDMI only says stereo and does not have any other option. Right now, the PC is hooked up in the office, so there are only 2 speakers there. Is this why AMD HDMI sound displays stereo b/c it only sees 2 speakers? If I move the PC to the living room and hook it up there will the AMD HDMI see up to however many speakers I have setup or is this just that I'm missing a driver and can just keep it hooked up to the 2 speakers for now? I think I have to download the Realtek HD Audio driver, and when I went to that site I saw one for 64 bit Windows 7 and another for ATI HDMI. Do I need to install both or just the one for 64 bit Win 7?

Proposed steps:
  • Download Realtek HD audio drivers. Please advise if I need to download 64 Win 7 and the ATI HDMI one or just the 64 Win 7 one?
  • Go thru the configuration of the Generic default sound option and the AMD HDMI with the setup I would like, say 7.1? Do I need to plug the PC to the AVR receiver or can I just have it hooked up to the 2 speakers in the office for now? Will anything happen if I set it the audio configuration say in the office where there are 2 speakers, but set as 7.1, then move the PC to connect straight to the AVR, will it reset or change the speaker configuration automatically or anything? I would not think so.
  • Do I set the AMD HDMI sound under PC control panel as the default or keep the generic default sound as is?
  • In the quote above, it says to set back to 'STEREO' or bitstream will not work. Does this mean once I finish I should update both the Generic Default Sound and the AMD HDMI to the Stereo option vs the 7.1 option I selected in my 2nd step above? Sorry, a little confused here.
  • I already updated the Shark007 64 bit settings under the Audio tab on that app to use TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio.
  • Yesterday, I was able to play a .mkv DTS-HD MA 5.1 thru WMC, but couldn't really tell what audio was being used since I didn't see the settings or anything, but when I tried to play the same file under XBMC, the audio error popped up and said review, but the movie still played but with no sound. Under the XBMC settings, I updated the Audio option to say 7.1 AV receiver does DTS-HD MA, but is it b/c I was connected to my 2 speakers in the office and so it error-ed out? But if I would have hooked up PC to AVR, it would've worked?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

post #57 of 1061 Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Since I'm using the i3's internal audio/video drivers I can't speak to another card/driver. However, to bitstream HD audio you need to ensure...

Some screens/options might be different based on the card but the process is the same. At this point MKV files should play with HD audio via WMC. If not, make sure the HDMI sound card is set to default and review the various settings. Regarding the sound card being set to Stereo this enables bitstreaming. If you select additional channels (I believe) the sound card will do the decoding and output PCM. Since bitstreaming is dependent on your HDMI receiver I wouldn't attempt to configure/test/debug/etc unless you have all of the proper hardware in place. You might be hunting ghosts as it can't work unless you do.

To enable bitstreaming in XBMC you need to go to System - Settings - System - Audio Output and set the following...

Audio output - HDMI
Speaker Configuration - 2.0
receiver supports - DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby TrueHD capable receiver - selected
Audio output device - HDMI audio card

My receiver displays the input audio signal so I use this to verify what is being outputted. Again, I wouldn't mess around until I had the hardware in place as Windows to some (a large?) degree needs HDMI audio to be available before the sound card can be configured (properly).

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #58 of 1061 Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM

^ ^ ^

Thanks CharlesR! I see now, by setting the PC settings to Speaker 2.0, it just bitstreams the audio to the receiver to decode. I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor and just recently installed an AMD 6570 video card which has support for all HD audio. My receiver supports as well.

Do I even need to install the Realtek Audio drivers if I will always send the audio bitstream to the receiver to decode? I would think NO at this point, but for people who have say 5.1 hooked up to their PC directly without a receiver, they would need the driver so that the video card or sound card with decode the audio for them. Since the HDMI audio connection only shows Stereo and no other channel configuration, it doesn't even matter b/c I'm sending the audio to the receiver to decode, correct?

I'll go thru and change the settings back to Speaker 2.0 and make the HDMI audio the Default under PC's Control Panel > Sounds. I'll do the same for XBMC and make sure to follow the links you provided again since I did review them yesterday during my setup. I was mainly confused about the setting the speaker setting to 'Stereo', but you cleared that up for me.

Also, to get true 1:1 video and audio to play from htpc to any tv in the house, you need to connect the htpc directly to the receiver and tv with correct audio settings or you will have to use a media streamer and pass the video and audio data from the htpc to the media streamer and then to the receiver and to the tv, correct?

I need to read up more, but I see there is the Netgear NeoTV 550, Popcorn, Boxee, which appear to be the better ones which can handle most file types and DTS-HD MA. I have a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player 'Panasonic DMP-BDT210' and wondering if I can use that as a streamer since it has more flexibility in the file types and hd audio I can use vs. the xbox 360. I also have the PS3 upstairs, but I believe the PS3 and 360 have similar issues in file types that are allowed to be played.

Thanks!

post #59 of 1061 Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should install the latest drivers for whatever sound card is producing HDMI audio/video. Bitstreaming requires hardware and software support even though it isn't getting decoded. The Xbox 360 doesn't support HD audio so if you want that at another TV you'll have to use a streamer that supports such. I used the NeoTV 550 for quite a while and really like it... strictly for MKV HD audio/video. If you can live with DTS-HD MA core only the WD TV Live (using one in the exercise room) is very nice. It supports Netflix and a ton of other streaming options.

Image wise at your PC be sure to disable overscan in your video card. Based on your card/driver you might have all kinds of enhancements such as skin tone, adaptive contrast and whatnot. Disable all of them and your display should look as good as possible. For a while I had a Xbox 360 connected to the same TV as my PC and I couldn't tell any image difference between the two using WMC.

Over the years as a general rule I avoid DLNA video streaming and local media playback via Blu-ray players. There are simply too many issues of this not being supported, that not working and so on. I rather have my media in one format (MKV with HD audio), use a network share and a device that is designed to support them. This way I don't spend x hours pulling my hair out/converting to a certain installation all to be repeated when I change a piece of equipment.

| Home Theatre Tweets |
post #60 of 1061 Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM

^ ^ ^

Thanks again for the tips! I wish the media streamers were cheaper, but I guess it's cheaper than building another htpc. I did briefly look at the WD TV Live yesterday and saw a few threads where people were upset that it did NOT work with DTS-HD MA and how they were saying that the other streamers could do it and how come WD couldn't. I see the NeoTV doesn't support Netflix, but that doesn't bother me too much since pretty much all my other devices has Netflix on it. I don't believe Netflix has HD audio, so I'm fine running it from my 360, PS3, or Panasonice 3D bluray player.

I may try to move and keep the tower PC plugged into the AVR in the living room to stream full HD audio that way for the time being until late November rolls @ to pickup a dedicated MKV HD audio media streamer for a bit cheaper.

I was mainly trying to setup an htpc to replace the Comcast DVR, and I've set that up and will return the DVR by the end of this week. Just testing a few more times to ensure it records everything for me. But the more you play around, you see all the possibilities. I also wanted to backup my blurays or burn copies from family or friends, so now that I'm ripping them to mkv and playing around more. There's alot of little things here and there to learn, but once things get setup correctly, it should be good to go.

Yeah, I have a 360 in game room and wanted to watch tv in the game and living room, so I picked up another 360 off craigslist at a really good price, thankfully last week. But I would've probably not bought it if I knew it wouldn't stream HD audio and had issues with file format playbacks. But it's ok though, the living room has more room to play the Kinetic with, so that's good there. The past few day's I've been playing around with ripping to MKV HD audio and then using Handbrake to dumb down the audio to see which works with the 360 and was then able to find out it only works with Dolby Surround or Dolby ProLogic II. So you're definitely correct in that you should keep 1 format and use a dedicated streamer to play them so I don't have to keep having duplicate copies of the bluray rips for different audio settings.

Didn't think about changing the video card settings, so thanks for that as well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page