Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #601 of 927 Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Yes, when I said "premium channels" I was referring to HBO, Showtime, etc. Channels that rely on subscriber fees in lieu of commercials are generally DRM flagged. So-called "basic" cable channels (with commercials) may be encrypted and therefore require a CableCARD, but many cable companies don't flag them for DRM, so they could be recorded and freely copied with open-source software. But other cable companies do flag these channels, so you'd need to stick with TiVo, or WMC and its extenders, to record them. As I said, YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 927 Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222

I guess most everyone knows but I certainly didn't... XBMC plays WMC native (wtv) recordings. I'm still messing with iSCSI (I'd really like it to work) and have been having my desktop record to my NAS via iSCSI. Well for the heck of it I added the iSCSI drive (R) to XBMC and clicked on a recording. And it played perfectly. Next I'm going to copy a wtv file (once recorded) to the NAS and see if the OpenELEC version of XBMC will play the file. If so I'll have MKV files and WMC recordings available outside of Windows. I loved the USB bootable XBMC and it would be nice to use (and cheap).

Update: Just booted OpenELEC/XBMC off a USB thumb drive and the wtv file played like a champ. So for recordings it works great... you'd still have to use XBMC/Live TV for live and partial recordings (commercial delayed viewing).

Update II: I added my WMC recording directory (on my main HTPC) to XBMC that's installed on the same PC.Then I told XBMC to act as a UPnP server and accessed it via another PC/XBMC. At this point I could play the wtv files without having to copy them to my NAS. Playing shows currently being recorded would only play until the point it was recorded when I first started viewing it.

post #603 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Presumably that only works for non copy protected recordings. Does XBMC have DVR-like skip forward/back functionality to skip through commercials.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #604 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Does XBMC have DVR-like skip forward/back functionality to skip through commercials.

The transport keys are supported and you can customize their length.

Realistically, for me all it provides is the ability to view recorded WMC files natively via OpenELEC. Such that I have a HTPC (media player) via a thumb drive, diskless, Windowsless, etc. In my dedicated room I currently have a WD TV Play that does HD video/audio MKV files just as nicely as my HTPC (I A/Bed them last weekend). I'd like to bring TV in there which means Xbox or HTPC in my case. Xbox being the path of least resistance (cheapest) but the HTPC being overall more fun and flexible.

Sort of a hybrid would be a HTPC via OpenELEC. Not much in the way of hardware required nor a Windows license. I could use the low-end NUC with memory and a thumb drive. All I would be missing is live TV which I guess if I threw in a hard drive I could struggle with that via XBMC (even recordings). Although WMC isn't going any place as my DVR so I'd like to feed off of that as much as possible. 

post #605 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
FWIW, my Sony BD player streams wtv files over DLNA just fine. I find that much simpler than additipnal computers and game consoles. For live TV, my Echoes work fine.
post #606 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

FWIW, my Sony BD player streams wtv files over DLNA just fine.

How does it handle partial recordings? Say you start viewing 30 minutes into the recording... does it stop once you hit the 30 minute mark... or keep playing the rest of the recording? It is being played natively or transcoded by the DLNA server?

post #607 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

How does it handle partial recordings? Say you start viewing 30 minutes into the recording... does it stop once you hit the 30 minute mark... or keep playing the rest of the recording? It is being played natively or transcoded by the DLNA server?
It's been a while since I've messed with it, but as I recall functionality was pretty limited. No resume, no thumbnails, not even titles, just file names. I'm not sure if it was transcoding. I think it was just spoofing the file extension so sony would recognize it as MPEG-2. In any case, the video was smooth and full res. I had to add a couple of lines to the profile in serviio to get it working. I've never had any copy protected content, so I don't know if that would have played or not.
post #608 of 927 Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think that is a function of the .wtv file format. Before WMC, I was using NextPVR. NextPVR saves its recordings as transport stream .ts files which can be played by nearly all media players including the WD Lives that I use. I could start streaming a .ts recording from NextPVR 1 minute after it started recording and it would play the whole way through to the end.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #609 of 927 Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think that is a function of the .wtv file format.

On the surface a file is a file (per se) and I tend to think it's more client related. The client simply needs to be smart enough to realize the file is now larger than when it was originally opened. Way back when I had some kind of configuration that would continue to stream... can't remember the details although the WD Live might have been part of the puzzle.

post #610 of 927 Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Having revived my dedicated room I wanted to bring a HTPC in there for movies and perhaps some TV. The WD TV Play works great for movies (HD video/audio via my NAS) but TV was still missing. Since I don't really watch TV in there it's not much of an excuse to use a HTPC.

So I finally thought of this really high tech solution. Run a 32' HDMI cable from the desktop (in the den) to the TV in the den (where my new Shuttle was deployed). I'm using VGA anyway since my 1080p monitor doesn't have HDMI and I couldn't find my HDMI to DVI converter. The desktop is an i3 and appears to work like a champ with dual monitors (using Intel's internal graphics). The moment I plugged the cable into my desktop and Denon receiver it created a second 1080p monitor and I was good to go.

Only pickle I ran into was when WMC is full screen on the second monitor it won't release the mouse. However if you hit the Windows key once, move your mouse to the first monitor and select a window then hit the Windows key again your mouse resides/stays within the first monitor and WMC plays full screen. I can use my Harmony to control WMC and the sensor is so strong it works pretty much regardless of where it is in the room.

The cable looks rather tacky running along the baseboard (a whopping $32) and if it keeps working so nicely I'll probably look for a inexpensive wireless HDMI extender... as long as is doesn't come close to the cost of a PC or I might still be adding one...

post #611 of 927 Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In the past I've used an Actiontec MyWirelessTV to avoid running a cable. It worked beautifully and had local hookups for keyboard and mouse (which I didn't use) as well as an IR receiver and blaster (which I did use). Got mine used for around $75, and recently sold it for about the same.

IIRC you've posted that you had an Echo in the past and hated it, but I find it to still be the most elegant solution for WMC on a remote TV and the one that I use on every TV in my house.
post #612 of 927 Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Right now I'm not loving it... you have to have the WMC (full screen) active for various Harmony buttons to work. That's fine if all I'm doing is watching TV but if I'm trying to use the HTPC at the same time it's a pain in the butt. I have to mouse over to the second monitor (TV) - click - use harmony - alt-tab to release the mouse. I have never owned an Echo and it's not an option. I'll leave it at that...

I'll probably use this until I find a good PC deal... not necessarily a low end model rather a deal you can't pass up. smile.gif

post #613 of 927 Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thinking of picking up a Nook HD+ more or less because it's such a bargain. With a 1080p screen and being open to Google play it sounds like a winner. I'm wondering if any one is using a good app for WMC or XBMC? If I can find some thing that works rather nicely I'll be the perfect excuse to grab one right away.

post #614 of 927 Old 08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:

Thinking of picking up a Nook HD+ more or less because it's such a bargain. With a 1080p screen and being open to Google play it sounds like a winner. I'm wondering if any one is using a good app for WMC or XBMC? If I can find some thing that works rather nicely I'll be the perfect excuse to grab one right away.
Not sure about a WMC or XBMC app, haven't even thought about it, but a day after I picked up my Nook HD+ I loaded the Nova Launcher on it and have never looked back. AVS member slowbiscuit tipped me off to it in the HOTP thread.
post #615 of 927 Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Not sure about a WMC or XBMC app, haven't even thought about it, but a day after I picked up my Nook HD+ I loaded the Nova Launcher on it and have never looked back.

On the surface there is an official XBMC app and several others for free. The going price for a WMC app appears to be $5 which is more than fair. I'd just like to know more about them before I end up buying and spending x hours looking at several before finding the one... almost all of them require some type of back end program (installed on the HTPC) and I'd like to keep that as clean as possible.

post #616 of 927 Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fry's has/had a Western Digital 2TB 2.5" external drive on sale for $99. Since I wanted a quieter drive in my desktop (currently used for WMC recordings) I picked one up thinking I could yank the drive out and install it in the Dell. Well luckily before I ripped it part I read a review which stated the USB controller is intregated into the drive and as such it will only work via USB. However is it 3.0 although my desktop only has USB 2.0.

So I was wondering if it could keep up with 4 recordings and playback so I put it to the test. Looks like it's a piece of cake even with USB 2.0. I thought I could install a PCI card to get to USB 3.0 but it doesn't look like it's needed. Here's a shot of it in action with dual monitors running.

post #617 of 927 Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 419
USB 2.0 should be able to get at least 200 Mbps of throughput, which would easily let you record up to ten channels at once, not that any market has that many 1080i channels at full bandwidth.
post #618 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok... I'm looking to do something I thought I never would. I'd like to take a few minutes out of several recordings and combine them into a brand new file/recording. Basic requirements...

• Maintains the same video/audio quality and staying within the wtv codec is fine (converting to MKV a bonus).
  • Quick or time consuming doesn't matter as I'll be doing this rarely
  • Cost wise free is nice or at least a free trial so I can ensure it works for me
  • The app must support Windows 8

From looking around is VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 the best option? Does the free trial let you create such? Basically, I'm looking to create a few trailers or highlight reels for my dedicated room (projector) to use with guests.

post #619 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From looking around is VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 the best option?
With the exception of it not being free, it does everything you would want and more. It's all I ever use to edit and recode HDTV video. It will read a .wtv file directly and after editing re-save it as .wtv keeping all the metadata for WMC -- it does the same for .tivo files. If you don't want .wtv anymore it can save as .ts, .m2ts, .mpg, .mkv

- kelson h

post #620 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is a little OT, but after seeing your screenshots, you are in serious need of some MCL. I've got 11 lines per page by 3 hrs wide like I had on Dish and it looks fantastic. That default view is for the birds. You may also benefit from moving your corner out, as described HERE. It's written for extenders, but the registry keys are similar for the local session.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #621 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is a little OT, but after seeing your screenshots, you are in serious need of some MCL. I've got 11 lines per page by 3 hrs wide like I had on Dish and it looks fantastic.

You do realize I have 7 stations (of which 6 I use) and I virtually never view the guide. Also, I don't install third party software for the whee factor... certainly not on a DVR. Image wise I'm using Television which provides 1:1 mapping... from what I have read/experienced.

post #622 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You do realize I have 7 stations (of which 6 I use) and I virtually never view the guide. Also, I don't install third party software for the whee factor... certainly not on a DVR. Image wise I'm using Television which provides 1:1 mapping... from what I have read/experienced.
I understand, I don't either. It's a matter of utility and aesthetics. I have over 300 channels in my guide, so seeing as much as possible on one screen with logos for quick recognition is crucial on my system. I agree with 6 channels, it's pointless, aside from being able to see the whole prime time block in one screen with the 3 hr view.

As for 3rd party software, it's a necessity these days. I can't tolerate Win 8 without Classic Shell, and I can't tolerate WMC without MCL. All MCL does is stick some values in a file when you configure it. It doesn't run in the background (unless you tell it to check for updates) or take any resources whatsoever. So its footprint is nonexistent.

Doesn't matter if you're 1:1 or not, the GUI on WMC is screwed up by default, making everything smaller and harder to read from 10'. When set up properly, the screen should be filled edge to edge like this. Notice all the extra blue space on yours by comparison. Takes all of 30 seconds to fix. And the settings have no effect at all on the actual video, only the GUI elements. If you couldn't care less, then at least someone else might benefit from my post.

post #623 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 214
For me Video Redo is awesome for fixing recordings from TCM-HD.

Comcast in my neck of the woods sends that channel out with a black border all the way around the picture (apparently to account for overscan, which I have shut off). VRD makes it very easy to re-encode the movie eliminating them (and saving space by converting to h264). It also makes snipping out commercials and the beginnings and ending of recordings very simple.

And My Channel Logos is awesome. Thats something WMC should have built in. It is so simple and works perfectly. Makes everything look much better and more polished.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #624 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you couldn't care less, then at least someone else might benefit from my post.

I agree. Just in my case I have been DVRing for coming up on fifteen years and the only purpose a guide provides is to establish a series schedule. I might look at it twice a week. I played around with third party stuff for several months and never found anything of interest outside of commercial skip which I didn't value enough to stay with Windows 7. So when I did a clean install a few months back I installed the bare minimum and consider them appliances. They are what they are.

I have nothing against all of the third party apps it's more of a mindset. Before doing the fresh installs while revisiting apps (trying to find/download) I ran across malware. Actually, with two fairly mainstream apps and at that point it became even easier... why mess with what I don't really want/use. Again, it's a mindset... if you open the door you'll always want to tweak this or that... if the door is locked life goes on. smile.gif

post #625 of 927 Old 08-28-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Different mindset and use cases, as you said. I browse the guide several times per day. I also have a baseline of required functionality which is not possible to achieve out of the box. I install what software I need and make any necessary config changes to meet that base line, then I don't touch it again. Mine runs like an appliance, just like yours. You use a lot of stuff I would never use, like VideoReDo, XBMC, etc. I have WMC for a DVR with a few critical enhancements, PotPlayer for my small video library and Tor for streaming foreign content. All running on a PC I got on ebay for $50. I never do any editing or converting. All my extenders and BD players handle wtv just fine without any effort on my part.
post #626 of 927 Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I'll add another endorsement of VideoRedo. The caveat of course is that the source must be copy-freely channels. I've also used MeGUI when I want to re-encode and also perform IVTC on a file, but I'm not sure it can read .wtv files. It's free but also much more complex/powerful to use.
post #627 of 927 Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

This is a little OT, but after seeing your screenshots, you are in serious need of some MCL. I've got 11 lines per page by 3 hrs wide like I had on Dish and it looks fantastic.

You do realize I have 7 stations (of which 6 I use) and I virtually never view the guide.

Charles, only 7 stations? In Indianapolis? eek.gif Rabbitears.info lists 21!

Admittedly, that includes 2 CW affiliates, 2 CBS affiliates, 2 Cozi affiliates and 3 PBS affiliates rolleyes.gif . And I'm guessing you're not interested in recording Telemundo, news/weather subchannels, or the religious channels. But that still leaves 10 or 11 stations (depending on which PBS subchannels you want), several of which have multiple subchannels worth recording.

Perhaps you should consider upgrading the most important, yet most often overlooked, component of a killer OTA setup: your antenna.
post #628 of 927 Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Charles, only 7 stations? In Indianapolis? eek.gif Rabbitears.info lists 21!

First if it's not HD I won't bother... second none of the other channels have any programming I'll watch. I should delete #7 as I haven't watched it once since moving to WMC. My attic antenna works very nicely... 

post #629 of 927 Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Another matter of taste, I guess. HD is great but it can't save lousy content. So I watch a lot of old syndicated shows, which are often unavailable in HD.

So I prefer to keep every channel I *might* watch on the guide, use search, and let WMC tell me what channel(s) my show's on. But then, I do use MCL and my guide does show 11 channels at once, so I can afford to wink.gif
post #630 of 927 Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Another matter of taste, I guess. HD is great but it can't save lousy content. So I watch a lot of old syndicated shows, which are often unavailable in HD.

Very true. I don't do repeats so that eliminates most if not all of the SD channels. If I cared about them I would have caught them the first time around. In the rare exception I'll rent or stream and binge my way through.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page