post #751 of 910 Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

The Roamio base model lacks MoCA built in, the Plus and Pro models do, but if your using just Mini's and a Roamio will only need one MoCA adapter to extend the network over coax.

The setup would look something like this:

Roamio<->Ethernet<-v
Cable Modem<--->Router<->MoCA adapter<->Coax<->Mini(s)

If you get a Plus or Pro you don't need any adapters if you have Ethernet going to it, the Roamio acts as the MoCA bridge to Ethernet and all Minis will work on coax just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 910 Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191

If you record Shark Tank you might want to look and see if WMC is scheduled to record tonight's airing. They have a special tonight and I looked to see if it was scheduled to record and I noticed the regular episode wasn't scheduled either. I checked my series and it listed only the May 9th episode to be recorded. It's not listed as a repeat so I'm not sure what's up. When I right click the episode it gives me the option to record the series so it's clearly not flagged as Shark Tank. When I right click the May 9th airing it gives me the option to stop recording the series...

Wondering if others are seeing the same. The other series appear fine.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #753 of 910 Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 AM
kwg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
> 5/2/2014
> If you record Shark Tank you might want to look and see if WMC is scheduled to record tonight's airing.
> They have a special tonight and I looked to see if it was scheduled to record and I noticed the regular episode wasn't scheduled either.

The 7pm special was listed as "Shark Tank: Swimming with Sharks" so it did not match "Shark Tank".

The 8pm "Shark Tank" episode -for me- was shown as a conflicted recording due to 2 other higher-priority shows at 8pm on my 2-tuner setup.
post #754 of 910 Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

For anyone reading along (although I think no one else is using iSCSI with WMC :)) on Monday evening I had another incident. I posted the following in the NAS forum...

I don't think it's my ReadyNAS 104 as I have seen the same issue using other vendors. On a rare occasion my Windows 8.1 PC will begin 3 or 4 recordings via Windows Media Center and write out the first block of data for each recording (roughly 512k). At this point WMC still thinks it's recording but the file size never grows and if I attempt to view the recording it acts like there is a recording but nothing is viewable... WMC is confused I'm sure. A quick PC reboot and the recordings take off like a champ although it often (or always) only begins three leaving one not being recorded.

I may or may not be viewing an existing recordings when this happens. So the PC isn't losing access to the NAS as I can be viewing an entire show before, during or after the issue. Googling I haven't found anything related outside of one person who had Disk Full errors and turned off Microsoft Defender which resolved it. I have told Defender to ignore the iSCSI drive and WMC's processes but that hasn't help.

My guess it's Microsoft's iSCSI client simply getting "overloaded" via the initial volume of writes. I'm wondering if there is any configuration I can do with the client that might help. I'm going to disable Defender totally and see if that helps. It may take a week or more for it to act up so it's not exactly easy to troubleshoot. If that doesn't help I guess I'll punt iSCSI.

My ISP provides a free copy of Norton Security Suite so I installed it on the PC and I'm going to see if disabling Microsoft Defender completely resolves the issue. If not, it's not worth the hassle of never knowing when you will have the issue... and end up missing four recordings. I'll give up (to this point it's simply been a challenge) and throw in some local storage. It has never happened using local storage. Also, it has occurred on at least three different PCs so it's not unique to one PC or even a certain version of Windows.

| 
|
|
|
post #755 of 910 Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Fire TV

Apparently, XBMC can be side-loaded on the Fire TV and the WMC add-on works. I might order one and hopefully replace the Xbox 360E I have had sitting around since Black Friday that's never been used... I only purchased it as an extender and XBMC/WMC although its interface isn't quite as slick it would more than do with the light usage it would receive (that is if it ever gets installed). Anyone try one as an extender?

| 
|
|
|
post #756 of 910 Old 05-08-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just found this thread while researching the soon to be delivered via woot HD HomeRun Prime. I am also curious about the FireTV as an extender as I currently have one sitting in the basement doing little to no duty. Roku tends to be the go to at least until voice search works beyond Amazon. So give me a little time while I wait for the mail (woot, why not UPS at least?). I am going from a Uverse DVR (two different hard drive failures and completely lost all recordings twice) to a new Comcast service where they want $17,95 a month for DVR so I will give HS HomeRun Prime + WMC (or perhaps XMBC a shot with either the FireTV or perhaps Raspberry Pi ; although I am running out of HDMI slots).

anjenaire

"Conservation, it's worth the energy"
post #757 of 910 Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Fire TV

Apparently, XBMC can be side-loaded on the Fire TV and the WMC add-on works. I might order one and hopefully replace the Xbox 360E I have had sitting around since Black Friday that's never been used... I only purchased it as an extender and XBMC/WMC although its interface isn't quite as slick it would more than do with the light usage it would receive (that is if it ever gets installed). Anyone try one as an extender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post

Just found this thread while researching the soon to be delivered via woot HD HomeRun Prime. I am also curious about the FireTV as an extender as I currently have one sitting in the basement doing little to no duty. Roku tends to be the go to at least until voice search works beyond Amazon. So give me a little time while I wait for the mail (woot, why not UPS at least?). I am going from a Uverse DVR (two different hard drive failures and completely lost all recordings twice) to a new Comcast service where they want $17,95 a month for DVR so I will give HS HomeRun Prime + WMC (or perhaps XMBC a shot with either the FireTV or perhaps Raspberry Pi ; although I am running out of HDMI slots).

I'd be curious as well how this works with XBMC and the XBMC Add-on for either the Raspberry Pi or FireTV!
post #758 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of discussion here on the subject, but don't see any firsthand reports of using the Fire with ServerWMC.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6090
post #759 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post

Depending on your pain threshold, you may be better off taking baby steps. I'd get WMC running first with a normal extender. Then start trying the add-ons and other platforms. In my experience, ServerWMC in MB3 is very cool and going in the right direction, but still unreliable and bug ridden. I wouldn't run it on my main system just yet. Pi is a marvel, but it's still a toy, IMO. I couldn't tolerate it for everyday use. If you manage to get a great system running without extenders, then you can just sell them or return them and get most of your money back. If you're like me, it won't ever come to that.

As far as limited HDMI goes, HTPC also works perfectly well over VGA. I ran that way for a long time and saw absolutely no difference in picture quality.

It will be interesting to see how the Fire works out. But for the same money, you can get a real extender. Granted it doesn't do streaming services, but in my house at least, I have dozens of other devices for that, including my TVs themselves. Extenders for live and recorded TV work fine and are very simple to setup and use.

post #760 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Lots of discussion here on the subject, but don't see any firsthand reports of using the Fire with ServerWMC.

I read a couple of first hand reports at the XBMC forum and it appears no better (or worse) than the other Android devices. Taking a while to tune/switch channels which is inherent to some degree in all of the XBMC platforms. I used the Add-on with OpenELEC and Windows and had zero issues. As an extender I think it's great... however for heavy use I'd prefer the Xbox as its interface isn't as advanced and feels a generation or two old. I have been using ServerWMC since shortly after its release with zero issues. Now for me extenders are for casual use and not used on a daily basis so my experience might be different...

Here's a link for installing XBMC on the Fire TV...

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/how-to-install-xbmc-to-the-amazon-fire-tv-from-a-windows-computer/

| 
|
|
|
post #761 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
kwg

WMC guide problems...

Monday 5/12/2014
Fox

1) Bones

"The Drama in the Queen" was used as the title and description for the 4/28/2014 episode.
Solution: Manually set to record.

2) 24

Tagged as 'Repeat'.
Solution: Manually set to record. Or change series to 'New & Repeat' just in case.
post #762 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

It's always been odd to me how these problems often happen with WMC guide data but rarely with Tivo given that they source the data from the same provider. My Tivo is set to record 24 as expected on Monday even though I have a new only Season Pass.
post #763 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

It's always been odd to me how these problems often happen with WMC guide data but rarely with Tivo given that they source the data from the same provider. My Tivo is set to record 24 as expected on Monday even though I have a new only Season Pass.
ditto

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #764 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's always been odd to me how these problems often happen with WMC guide data but rarely with Tivo given that they source the data from the same provider.

Often? I have seen less than a handful in virtually two years.

| 
|
|
|
post #765 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post

WMC guide problems...

Monday 5/12/2014
Fox

1) Bones

"The Drama in the Queen" was used as the title and description for the 4/28/2014 episode.
Solution: Manually set to record.

Mine is set to record automatically...

| 
|
|
|
post #766 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Liked: 10
I've been looking around for a suitable PC. (I already got a new SD HD Homerun Prime at Woot for $85!). I've run across a couple of Dell Inspiron 3647 at the Dell outlet that seem almost ideal, but want to know if they have some fatal flaw.

Basic specs:

Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop

Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i3-4130 processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
4 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
Dell Outlet Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop

Size: 10 1/8" x 3.9" x 14.1".

From what I've read here the processor is just about ideal. Size seems OK to me. Just worried about possible noise.

Price is $369. I can't find anything comparable for anything close to that price.

TIA for any advice.

STP

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #767 of 910 Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post

Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 620 for two years as mostly my desktop/WMC server. I am very sensitive to noise and I could only hear the hard drive and it's sitting two feet or so away from me. I can't hear the CPU or system fan unless I get right next to it on the floor... I could barely hear the hard drive and upgraded to an SSD. When I had it installed by the TV roughly fourteen feet away I could never hear the drive.

It's an older i3 and handles WMC and everything else without issue. Back in the day when I ran commercial skip it could easily handle four recordings concurrently. I have used a few extenders and they performed very nicely... faster than TiVo ever did. My Dell has 6GB of RAM although using several NUCs with 4GB I have noticed they never use 3GB so 4GB is plenty.

Porschefan likes this.

| 
|
|
|
post #768 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Often? I have seen less than a handful in virtually two years.

Well, that's because you don't also have a Tivo.
post #769 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, that's because you don't also have a Tivo.

OK. Let's look at it this way. In two years I haven't missed more than one (?) recordings because of the guide data? I can't remember any I missed and only one I posted here I caught ahead of time. I do remember such in the over 10 years I used TiVo. Even remember missing recordings... I really remember my wife pointing it out... point being Often is rather dramatic based on over a decade of experience.

Heck if you read the thread I purchased a TiVo the day WMC wasn't showing my local CBS correctly for several hours. Unfortunately, or luckily TiVo was doing the same thing and it was returned. Admittedly, I virtually never look at the guide so I have no clue how accurate it is outside of recording my shows. That I know for a fact isn't an issue.

| 
|
|
|
post #770 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 AM
kwg

There was a message in rec.arts.tv asking about 24's guide mistake on Excite, so I checked online listings.

TitanTV, TVGuide, AOL and Zap2It show 'New' for Monday's episode.

Excite has:
TV GRID - Monday, May 12
24: Live Another Day (Repeat) Crime drama, Day 9: 1:00 P.M.-2:00 P.M.
Original Air Date: May 05, 2014

So there is bad data out there.
post #771 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually miss a lot of recordings on WMC. But they'd probably also be missed on Tivo since nearly all are British programs that get erroneously marked as reruns by the time they air here. In any case, there are simple fixes, although they require a bit more effort.

post #772 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post

So there is bad data out there.

Whoever thought there wasn't? :) A couple of times there has even been close to no data as the guide wasn't being updated for several days. It was the end of WMC until the data started flowing once again... I remember one issue I used to have with TiVo. If an episode was preempted when it aired the next week it was always skipped when set to record new only.

| 
|
|
|
post #773 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember using a DVD recorder as my DVR and using VCR style timers with no electronic guide data whatsoever, for years. Now I probably do at least 15 recordings per day with WMC and miss maybe one per month due to back guide data. I had about the same success rate with Dish, DirecTV and my old Tivo. I have no major complaints about WMC's guide really.

And I don't ever actually watch all those recordings, only a small fraction. But it at least gives me plenty of options.

post #774 of 910 Old 05-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have been using a Dell Inspiron 620 for two years as mostly my desktop/WMC server. I am very sensitive to noise and I could only hear the hard drive and it's sitting two feet or so away from me. I can't hear the CPU or system fan unless I get right next to it on the floor... I could barely hear the hard drive and upgraded to an SSD. When I had it installed by the TV roughly fourteen feet away I could never hear the drive.

It's an older i3 and handles WMC and everything else without issue. Back in the day when I ran commercial skip it could easily handle four recordings concurrently. I have used a few extenders and they performed very nicely... faster than TiVo ever did. My Dell has 6GB of RAM although using several NUCs with 4GB I have noticed they never use 3GB so 4GB is plenty.

Thanks Charles--for this and also noting that the NUC I was considering in another thread has a much slower processor.

Best regards,

Stephen T. Porter
ABQ, NM
post #775 of 910 Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I finally got a new HTPC parts I purchased a couple weeks ago assembled and up and running with Windows 7. As I have Time Warner Cable as well, I forgot what a pain in the butt it was to set up Digital Cable (forgot about the fact that you have to run Digital Cable Advisor in order to verify that your computer is digital cable compatible).

I've been thinking about dabbling with XBMC for a while, but my question is, since I have Digital Cable, and Time Warner flags almost all its channels as "Copy Once", I can't really use XBMC for TV viewing other than for my OTA channels. One of the main reasons I went the WMC route in the first place was to get my OTA channels and my cable channels all on one guide. Does XBMC even become worth it, or is it basically just an alternative means to run other media at that point?
post #776 of 910 Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowenap View Post

I've been thinking about dabbling with XBMC for a while, but my question is, since I have Digital Cable, and Time Warner flags almost all its channels as "Copy Once", I can't really use XBMC for TV viewing other than for my OTA channels. One of the main reasons I went the WMC route in the first place was to get my OTA channels and my cable channels all on one guide. Does XBMC even become worth it, or is it basically just an alternative means to run other media at that point?

I would recommend using WMC as a backend even if you wanted to use XBMC clients. Although in your case you're stuck with using traditional WMC extenders.

Using the WMC Add-on in XBMC comes in very handy in my case. Where I want to play HD audio/video and not mess with configuring WMC to handle such. I gave up loading this and that inside of WMC for it to support HD audio. One installation loaded malware (when I selected don't install...) and even when I got it working it felt tacked on.

XBMC allows you to view WMC (OTA) either without Windows (OpenELEC, etc) or with Windows 8 without upgrading to Pro with Media Center. Using OpenELEC the hardware requirement is very light and you can easily assemble a PC together for less than $200. More than an Xbox but again as you suggested it supports other media much better.

| 
|
|
|
post #777 of 910 Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I would recommend using WMC as a backend even if you wanted to use XBMC clients. Although in your case you're stuck with using traditional WMC extenders.

Using the WMC Add-on in XBMC comes in very handy in my case. Where I want to play HD audio/video and not mess with configuring WMC to handle such. I gave up loading this and that inside of WMC for it to support HD audio. One installation loaded malware (when I selected don't install...) and even when I got it working it felt tacked on.

XBMC allows you to view WMC (OTA) either without Windows (OpenELEC, etc) or with Windows 8 without upgrading to Pro with Media Center. Using OpenELEC the hardware requirement is very light and you can easily assemble a PC together for less than $200. More than an Xbox but again as you suggested it supports other media much better.

Currently, I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and don't plan on getting out of it any time soon. Does this make a difference?
post #778 of 910 Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowenap View Post

Currently, I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and don't plan on getting out of it any time soon. Does this make a difference?

XBMC (for me) is really only a solution when you already have an existing need for a PC app other than WMC for your clients/extenders. Now with Fire TV supporting XBMC I might change my mind. For $100 it might be relatively the best extender. However, it currently doesn't support HD audio (and a few HD codecs) so it can't replace say a NUC running OpenELEC (via a flash drive). Here's several shots of XBMC running the WMC Add-on...

| 
|
|
|
post #779 of 910 Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

iSCSI Update: Pass over if you aren't bored...

Per the previous posts I have been having a rare issue with WMC using iSCSI where four recordings will fire off but not continue. It definitely iSCSI related as I have never seen the issue using local storage. Anyway, the current theory is Microsoft Defender might be causing the issue and I have installed Norton Security Suite which disabled Defender. After a week I haven't had the issue. Not ready to say it's solved but I'm hoping. Typically, I would see it on a Monday (or Sunday) which had lots of recordings. 

I'll give it a month but since it's based on heavy volume and lots of shows are hitting their finales it might be a while before enough recordings are scheduled to really get a reading.

| 
|
|
|
post #780 of 910 Old 05-16-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well I got bored with the NUCs so I decided to do a build from scratch. Before the NUCs I was using Shuttles so it's been a very long time since a complete build. It's nothing fancy... a Haswell i3 (the most powerful i3), 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD. The motherboard has HDMI and DisplayPort so I can run one to the receiver and one directly to the projector. Basically, pieces at Fry's with a great price that have rebates...

It's very quiet and what noise it has is a very low pitch whirl... when it hibernates it speeds the fan up for a few seconds and my wife says it sounds like a car (a Porsche of course :)). Installed Windows 7 HP and so far so good. WMC worked the moment the Wizard completed as did the XBMC WMC Add-on.

I must say I really like the modular power supplies. I only used one cable (outside of the two power guys). For the SSD.

Case | Motherboard | CPU | RAM | Power Supply | SSD

Installed in the dedicated room's closet...

| 
|
|
|
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page