post #871 of 879 Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Is the Roku 3 video quality for both Live TV and for playing Blu Ray MKV rips bit for bit?
I recently used a Roku 3 for a few weeks (in the past I have used their older models) and I didn't even bother playing around with its local playback abilities. I guess Plex works the best although everything I have read leads me to believe its local playback is half-baked. Even apps like PlayOn come with so many compromises I can't see settling. Realistically the cost of streamers today such as the WD TV Media Player are so cheap especially compared to the other pieces... TV (projector?), receiver, whatnot I refuse to go down that road. As someone else stated a few posts ago if it's entertainment based I won't make it complex or half-baked. Sure I like to play and or tweak but strictly on my terms. If I want to catch something I want to pick up the remote and enjoy it in the best quality possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 879 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Thought I'd document some of my experience thus far here:

1) I have WMC up and running with an HDHomeRun Prime w/ cablecard activation
2) I have the Ortek IR remote reciever working through my Harmony 900
3) I have direct IP control via iRule on my iDevices

Now for my problems:

1) The "start" button from either the Ortek Remote, My harmony, or iRule doesn't always start Windows Media Center. I'm not sure why. When it's working I can hit "close" and then "start" and the app will open/close repeatedly without issue.
2) The PC feeds through a Yamaha AVR which then goes on to an Epson Projector over HDMI. If I only have that display enabled (The Epson PJ) then when I turn the PJ off (or maybe even when I switch inputs on the AVR) it puts the PC to hibernate. I don't know why.
3) I have a 1080p monitor also attached to this PC and attempted to mirror the display between it and my PJ, but I start getting DRM video playback errors which I think I can resolve by switching to a DVI cable from VGA. However, assuming this works, when I turn the projector/AVR off when done with viewing and turn it on again later Windows does not activate the 2nd display output (HDMI) and I have to manually turn it on, to which point it works fine
4) I'm using a separate disc to record TV than I use for my Bluray rips but when the kids were watching Frozen for the 16th billion time on my popcorn hour it started stuttering. Turning off WMC fixed this. I need to figure this out
5) I'm getting some dropped frames while watching video and the guide/channel changing is pretty slow. I could live with it if I get these other issues shored up though. Again this PC only has 2gig memory on a 32-bit OS. I have some new memory on it's way and will be putting 8gig in it (DDR2), will also update to 64-bit OS.

I have a much more powerful desktop (core i5, 16gig DDR3 Ram, few TB of storage, better video card) that I'm thinking of re purposing for WMC. We don't use it anymore since my wife got her MacBook Pro (She's a photographer) and I built this desktop for her a few years back. I'm thinking it will be a rock solid WMC champ without breaking much of a sweat. However, I need it to not go to sleep or otherwise not function when I turn the projector off.

Anybody have any of these WM/Theater experiences?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #873 of 879 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Anybody have any of these WM/Theater experiences?
I have used a half dozen WMC PCs (more actually) in my dedicated room. From towers to NUCs running Windows 7 and 8. I typically use dual HDMI output with one going to the projector and the other the AV receiver. I also have dual HDMI with the AV receiver and one goes to a monitor and the other the projector.

Overall I have had more luck with Windows 8 as it simply seems more robust as far as "complex" audio and video configurations. Especially in hibernation. I'm OTA only so I can't address cable issues at all...

I haven't seen any of the issues you listed. With the guide and channel changing being slow I'm guessing the PC is being taxed. More than likely a lack of memory. Regarding #2 are you sure when you switch inputs it's going into hibernation or perhaps just losing video? With Windows 7 at times (based on a few conditions) I will lose video and or the network. The PC is still running. Different PCs based on their hardware and Power options will vary greatly. Some handle various conditions gracefully while others don't.

As an example the current PC I'm using I have it set to sleep after 5 minutes and hibernate after another 5 minutes. If I'm in WMC when it's sleeping I'll lose video (a good part of the time) after waking it up. If it's in hibernation all is well. If I exit to the desktop beforehand it's fine either way. Other PCs never had the issue nor have I seen it with Windows 8.
post #874 of 879 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Regarding #2 are you sure when you switch inputs it's going into hibernation or perhaps just losing video? With Windows 7 at times (based on a few conditions) I will lose video and or the network. The PC is still running. Different PCs based on their hardware and Power options will vary greatly. Some handle various conditions gracefully while others don't.
Charles,

I've never been a person to pay that much attention to sleep/hibernate. The PC that is currently using WMC is running double duty as a file server. When I turned off the PJ/AVR yesterday the PC hibernated. My wife was at the time moving files from her laptop to one of the storage pools on this PC. It disconnected her. I had to walk up to the PC where I have a mouse/keyboard tucked away and "wake" it back up. At which point network connections resumed.

I then observed this a second time later in the evening. I currently have sleep/hibernate set to "never". There is a setting somewhere that Win8.1 is trying to be intelligent and detecting that since the display was turned off that the PC can sleep/hibernate.

If I had my way, I'd LOVE to be able to leave my two displays active at all times. One display being the AVR/PJ and the other being an LCD Monitor. I'd want these to be duplicated/mirrored. My testing thus far has shown that if I shut-off of the AVR/PJ that Windows turns off that display forcing me to re-enable it once I need it again. This isn't very WAF nor does it satisfy my desire to make this appliance like. If I could keep both active at all times and then be free to turn the monitor and PJ off/on as needed and be pleased.

edit: I did notice that windows detected my projector as "Epson Projector" when the projector was on, and when the projector was off but the AVR was on it detected the "RXV667" for my AVR. I'm going to update my macro/activities to just leave my AVR powered on which will hopefully keep this display active.

Last edited by scubasteve2365; Yesterday at 07:04 AM.
post #875 of 879 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a setting somewhere that Win8.1 is trying to be intelligent and detecting that since the display was turned off that the PC can sleep/hibernate.
Regarding sleep you might check you BIOS settings. Couldn't hurt...

My AVR has dual output so mirroring is easy. As far as Windows "turning off" the display using all digital (DVI and or HDMI) mine will come and go as I turn them off and on. I think this might be hardware and or BIOS related too. Another motherboard may act completely different.

Edit: You have probably verified it already but since you are using a programmable remote I'd make sure you aren't sending a sleep command within other actions such as turning the projector off.

Last edited by Charles R; Yesterday at 08:53 AM.
post #876 of 879 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Free Black 4'x2'x2" Acoustical Panels

Not really related to this thread but I thought what the heck...

I had these replaced since each of them (two in total) have a minor "stocking run" as shown in the image. You can't see it from a few feet away but it is there if you are anal retentive and use a flash.

Since I didn't have to return them I'll give them away for free. Shipping however isn't free but would be at my cost. Or you could provide a shipping account number (UPS or FedEx). They are 4'x2'x2" and come with hardware (Z clips) that you can use to mount them as desired. I have the original shipping carton which is basically 49x25x3 and the package weighs roughly 24 lbs. If you want to estimate shipping they would be coming from zip code 46037.

They are the panels against the screen wall in the other image. The material is fairly close to Guilford of Maine (which is the material of the other panel in the image). PM me if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01564.JPG (835.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BuDzXjDCIAAq7ri.jpg (70.1 KB, 11 views)
post #877 of 879 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Not really related to this thread but I thought what the heck...

I had these replaced since each of them (two in total) have a minor "stocking run" as shown in the image. You can't see it from a few feet away but it is there if you are anal retentive and use a flash.

Since I didn't have to return them I'll give them away for free. Shipping however isn't free but would be at my cost. Or you could provide a shipping account number (UPS or FedEx). They are 4'x2'x2" and come with hardware (Z clips) that you can use to mount them as desired. I have the original shipping carton which is basically 49x25x3 and the package weighs roughly 24 lbs. If you want to estimate shipping they would be coming from zip code 46037.

They are the panels against the screen wall in the other image. The material is fairly close to Guilford of Maine (which is the material of the other panel in the image). PM me if you are interested.
PM Sent.

post #878 of 879 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so Im making progress.

got my server and desktop machines swapped. The desktop runs WMC much better. Still trying to perfect the multiple displays issue.

In the interim I set WMC up on my mother-in-law's laptop. That created a problem. With her laptop running WMC and tuning a show, if I try to tune a show on my machine the video is choppy for a few seconds and then I get an "error". I can see the 2nd light on the HDhomerun light up. I'm on a gigabit network.

Should this be a conflict? It looks like WMC doesn't know how to handle things with another WMC running on another machine?

Perhaps it's a cable card issue? This DRM is proven to be quite ridiculous.

Is there away for her laptop to simply exists as an extender from my primary WMC machine?

post #879 of 879 Old Today, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Should this be a conflict? It looks like WMC doesn't know how to handle things with another WMC running on another machine?

Is there away for her laptop to simply exists as an extender from my primary WMC machine?
I typically have two WMC installations (PCs) going at any one time without issue. You might test/verify the tuners via its configuration app.

You can use another PC as an extender although you might run into a couple of issues. Simply go in and add the other PC under media library (video) and the recordings will show up. You can then view/delete, etc.

You can't view "protected" recordings and if you start to view a recording before it's completed the playback will stop at the point it was recorded when you began. To continue you'll have to re-select the recording.

I do this currently as I'm not using my desktop as my main WMC (server). Now if you view live TV it will allocate its "own" tuner. Connecting to another WMC PC is basically the same as setting up a shared directory... nothing more or less.

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 01:59 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

User Tag List