post #901 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Just be careful with Shark. Last time I tried it a few years ago it completely killed all media playback on my PC. I had to reinstall my OS from scratch. It was a very unpleasant experience. It's also now a minefield of malware and spyware unless you know the installation tricks. While LAV is a bit less comprehensive, it's far simpler and less risky.
I use shark on my original Win7 MCE, but use LAV on new WMC 8.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
You can call/run XBMC from inside of WMC if you want to keep the interface easy.
Thanks for reply. Is there a plug-in required for this?

What are you using these days?
post #903 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My favorite media player on a PC is Daum Pot Player.
Never come across that one before. Used various others in past. Not too much info on site. Have a few questions if you don't mind
  1. Does it support Blu-ray ISO's? Guessing not and can live with MKV, but really like having the whole BD ISO
  2. Does it support DTS-MA and TrueHD?
  3. Is the integration seamless (i.e. click MKV and it will launch player - I currently use MB3 with MBClassic plug-in)

TIA

Mark
post #904 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Never come across that one before. Used various others in past. Not too much info on site. Have a few questions if you don't mind
  1. Does it support Blu-ray ISO's? Guessing not and can live with MKV, but really like having the whole BD ISO
  2. Does it support DTS-MA and TrueHD?
  3. Is the integration seamless (i.e. click MKV and it will launch player - I currently use MB3 with MBClassic plug-in)

TIA

Mark
Sorry, can't answer most of that. I don't do ISO's. But you can associate any or all file types with it if you want. Seems like I had to do some sort of conversion for some audio formats due to licensing. Just try it and see if it works for you. Install/uninstall is very clean as it uses its own codecs. I found it to be light-years ahead of MBC. I've tried MB3 many times, but have never had any success (bogs down WMC to the point its unusable - takes tuners and never lets go, Roku player too buggy, resource hog on my bare bones WMC server).

It's best to get the English version from here, otherwise you'll end up with the original Korean version.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer
post #905 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry, can't answer most of that. I don't do ISO's. But you can associate any or all file types with it if you want. Seems like I had to do some sort of conversion for some audio formats due to licensing. Just try it and see if it works for you. Install/uninstall is very clean as it uses its own codecs. I found it to be light-years ahead of MBC. I've tried MB3 many times, but have never had any success (bogs down WMC to the point its unusable - takes tuners and never lets go, Roku player too buggy, resource hog on my bare bones WMC server).

It's best to get the English version from here, otherwise you'll end up with the original Korean version.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer
I have same issue with MB3. Seems to have huge resource leak. Close to trashing it.
post #906 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
It's also now a minefield of malware and spyware unless you know the installation tricks. While LAV is a bit less comprehensive, it's far simpler and less risky.
You simply need to unzip the download and run the Shark007 setup utility which allows you to bypass all of the container software. I think there was one version (for a few days) that installed malware even if you selected no... however by running just the Shark007 setup you are good to go.
post #907 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
Thanks for reply. Is there a plug-in required for this?

What are you using these days?
I presume it's still current...

http://www.teknowebworks.com/xbmc-Wi...er-Integration

I use WMC 100% for DVRing. I also use ServerWMC to view WMC recordings/live TV via XBMC/Kodi. Currently with Windows and OpenELEC. Fantastic app and makes Kodi the perfect extender for my use. If it didn't work so well I'd go back to TiVo...

https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb4...T2c/index.html
post #908 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ServerWMC is precisely what makes WMC unusable for me. Eventually uses every tuner, leaving none for WMC, even if I kill the service. I'm probably just doing something wrong, but I can't get it to work without causing major stability issues in WMC.
post #909 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
ServerWMC is precisely what makes WMC unusable for me.
Are you up to date? I know he has updated the server a couple of times in the last few days. Not for you as you probably know but you can update it inside of the app itself now. I had ServerWMC viewing recordings and all four tuners active most of last night without issue.

I did have to punt commercial skip for Windows 8.1. It was a nightmare per se. I would get errors and one show would be recorded instead of another for a few minutes - then the recording would switch to the correct show. In all of the cases it was when multiple recordings would get fired off at the same time. This was when it was set to scan live... during the recording.

I couldn't find a setting to restrict the number of workers like the Windows 7 version and I never had issues with the Windows 7 version at all. I might take another look at some point and perhaps try to set it to only process after the recording has completed. But right now I don't want to take the risk of losing any recordings.
post #910 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Are you up to date? I know he has updated the server a couple of times in the last few days. Not for you as you probably know but you can update it inside of the app itself now. I had ServerWMC viewing recordings and all four tuners active most of last night without issue.

I did have to punt commercial skip for Windows 8.1. It was a nightmare per se. I would get errors and one show would be recorded instead of another for a few minutes - then the recording would switch to the correct show. In all of the cases it was when multiple recordings would get fired off at the same time. This was when it was set to scan live... during the recording.

I couldn't find a setting to restrict the number of workers like the Windows 7 version and I never had issues with the Windows 7 version at all. I might take another look at some point and perhaps try to set it to only process after the recording has completed. But right now I don't want to take the risk of losing any recordings.
Actually haven't tried it in months. If it doesn't work right away I have to uninstall or a lot of people inside and outside my house get mad at me. Sounds like it may be worth another try. Still have problems with MB3 in general though. Didn't work well when I tried it with Roku last week.

Problem is I don't really need any of it. Remote Potato is old and clunky but works well enough for my purposes.
post #911 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should be able to keep an eye on the tuners via the ServerWMC Tuner tab. I tend to view more recordings than live TV which doesn't require a tuner. Here's a few shots of the WMC PC (Remote Desktop) and the desktop I'm using... a couple live and a recording.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	276345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	276353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	276361  
post #912 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice. Didn't know that was there. I'll give it a shot.
post #913 of 919 Old 09-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I presume it's still current...

http://www.teknowebworks.com/xbmc-Wi...er-Integration

I use WMC 100% for DVRing. I also use ServerWMC to view WMC recordings/live TV via XBMC/Kodi. Currently with Windows and OpenELEC. Fantastic app and makes Kodi the perfect extender for my use. If it didn't work so well I'd go back to TiVo...

Thanks
post #914 of 919 Old 10-12-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This poor thread needs a post...

Since I moved my WMC PC to the TV and started using another for my desktop I have really been using XBMC (Kodi) as an extender and it's working great. It even wakes my WMC PC from deep hibernation. Also my Chromebox (linked in my signature) has been working just as well for TV viewing. The Chromebox has been getting rave reviews... see the thread... and I highly recommend it as a $150 extender (won't do protected content however) that obviously handles local streaming wonderfully.

This has been the first time I have had ServerWMC running constantly and I have had zero issues.
post #915 of 919 Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How weak of an old desktop can I get away with as my server for this setup?

At most the server would be recording 2 OTA things while playing another. It would not serve any other computing purpose beyond being a pvr backend and file server for the xbmc clients.

For example I'm looking at a 2010 HP with the following specs:
Hardware:
2.7ghz Dual Core Processor
4gigs DDR3 Ram
1tb Hard Drive

Thoughts?

Last edited by hubcityraider; 10-23-2014 at 02:03 PM.
post #916 of 919 Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That would be more than enough horsepower. If you want to use commercial skip (either Windows 7 or Windows 8) horsepower can become an issue based on how it's configured but outside of that virtually "anything" can handle the load. Here's some images of XBMC running on this PC and the ServerWMC via Remote Desktop. It's an old i3 and pretty much idles with 4 recordings and serving a few clients.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	325442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	325450  
hubcityraider likes this.
post #917 of 919 Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not quite sure if this is a WMC problem or an HDHomerun Prime problem but I have recently bought a WMC remote that I have programmed my Harmony 700 to. I have the activity set to turn the TV on, turn the sound system on, turn my Eagle Aspen antenna rotor on, wake the HTPC from sleep, and then start WMC and go straight to Live TV. I have both an HD Homerun Dual run from an OTA antenna on my roof, and an HD Homerun Prime for digital cable.

When I turn it off, I have the activity set to turn off WMC, turn everything else off, and put the HTPC to sleep.

Both activities seem to work fine. However, when I turn the system back on after putting it to sleep, the picture on the digital cable (i.e. the HD Homerun Prime) is all messed up. I get a green pixelation effect that only seems to go away if I restart the computer. I imagine this is a problem with the Tuner itself as the Dual shows the OTA stations just fine. However, I am left wondering if it could possibly be a CableCard problem.
post #918 of 919 Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Not sure if this helps your issue or not, but when I boot up the HTPC, it has to be with the receiver off, or at least with something other than the HTPC selected (video routes through the receiver in my setup). For whatever reason, if the graphics card sees the receiver during boot, it changes the settings to something the TV can't render. I don't know about waking from sleep. Mine goes into standby and the hard drives spin down, but it never sleeps.

So, try waking the HTPC before turning anything else on.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #919 of 919 Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI: The Add-on for ServerWMC has been released for Kodi (14.x) using OpenELEC.

Which means when Kodi (14.x) ships you'll be able to use OpenELEC as an extender. With Beta 3 it's working like a champ and appears to be faster than ever. Such as tuning channels which has always (up to now) been a challenge.

If you are curious about OpenELEC you can find them here.

http://openelec.tv/

If you click on my signature Chromebox link you can find out about running it using a Chromebox for as little as $118 (recent Fry's price). You get one heck of a media player thrown in for free.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page