Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere

HDTV Recorders

RTK's Avatar RTK
11:43 AM Liked: 16
post #1021 of 1023
Today | Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Ok. Why not call it a Tivo then? Does all the same things in the limited context we've made.

Make your own Tivo. Does everything a Tivo does, except the one thing that defines a TiVo.
You pretty much summed up reality. That's why its pretty common to hear people refer generically to a DVR as Tivo or to say they are going to "Tivo" a show. Similarly, its not uncommon to people to refer to tissues as "Kleenex." I understand your points but the argument is weak.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
01:47 PM Liked: 518
post #1022 of 1023
Today | Posts: 10,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
You pretty much summed up reality. That's why its pretty common to hear people refer generically to a DVR as Tivo or to say they are going to "Tivo" a show. Similarly, its not uncommon to people to refer to tissues as "Kleenex." I understand your points but the argument is weak.
If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you update the Wiki and redefine "Window Media Center Extender" to mean whatever you feel like it should mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...enter_Extender

I have no problem with the generic use of the word "extender". I agree that's what all these devices do. But as soon as you add "WMC" in front of it, then it takes on a very specific meaning which is precisely to run a remote session of WMC, inheriting access to copy protected content. All devices in this thread besides Xbox and Echo cannot do that, therefore are not "Window Media Center Extenders". So unless that's what you mean, don't use that term. Just say "extender" or whatever other word you think conveys the correct meaning.

If I sold you a "Windows Media Center Extender" and you received a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC, you'd want your money back. Likewise, if I sold you a "Tivo" and you received a $30 Raspberry Pi, you'd also want your money back. While the Pi meets your definition of "Windows Media Center Extender", it doesn't meet anyone else's (except Charles). If you Google a few other threads on the subject, you'll find there is pretty much a consensus on the definition I've put forth.
RTK's Avatar RTK
09:20 PM Liked: 16
post #1023 of 1023
Today | Posts: 2,455
I don't feel that strongly about it, its just a device which as far as OTA, functions as WMC extender If this truly bothers you that much by all means continue your quest to enforce the legal definition. Enjoy your cat
Tags: Tivo , wmc

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread