Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #1021 of 1027 Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Ok. Why not call it a Tivo then? Does all the same things in the limited context we've made.

Make your own Tivo. Does everything a Tivo does, except the one thing that defines a TiVo.
You pretty much summed up reality. That's why its pretty common to hear people refer generically to a DVR as Tivo or to say they are going to "Tivo" a show. Similarly, its not uncommon to people to refer to tissues as "Kleenex." I understand your points but the argument is weak.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1027 Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
You pretty much summed up reality. That's why its pretty common to hear people refer generically to a DVR as Tivo or to say they are going to "Tivo" a show. Similarly, its not uncommon to people to refer to tissues as "Kleenex." I understand your points but the argument is weak.
If you feel so strongly about it, why don't you update the Wiki and redefine "Window Media Center Extender" to mean whatever you feel like it should mean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...enter_Extender

I have no problem with the generic use of the word "extender". I agree that's what all these devices do. But as soon as you add "WMC" in front of it, then it takes on a very specific meaning which is precisely to run a remote session of WMC, inheriting access to copy protected content. All devices in this thread besides Xbox and Echo cannot do that, therefore are not "Window Media Center Extenders". So unless that's what you mean, don't use that term. Just say "extender" or whatever other word you think conveys the correct meaning.

If I sold you a "Windows Media Center Extender" and you received a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC, you'd want your money back. Likewise, if I sold you a "Tivo" and you received a $30 Raspberry Pi, you'd also want your money back. While the Pi meets your definition of "Windows Media Center Extender", it doesn't meet anyone else's (except Charles). If you Google a few other threads on the subject, you'll find there is pretty much a consensus on the definition I've put forth.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #1023 of 1027 Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't feel that strongly about it, its just a device which as far as OTA, functions as WMC extender If this truly bothers you that much by all means continue your quest to enforce the legal definition. Enjoy your cat
post #1024 of 1027 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I don't feel that strongly about it, its just a device which as far as OTA, functions as WMC extender
It's not extenders it's a point of view... they have to tell you the meaning of what you say. And that meaning has to fit in their tunnel vision which pretty much guarantees they are off base. Of course they will never agree since they never see the entire picture. The worse the tunnel vision the more they endlessly post... they have little else to focus on. For a moment do they think they are adding value...
post #1025 of 1027 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I can't believe how much time and energy you've put into defending a simple mistake. All I can do at this point is say how much I admire your courage, Charles, and post this from the Onion:

Quote:
Courage requires us to remain steadfast in our beliefs. It asks that we stand by the convictions we express and never give an inch, no matter what the cost. However off base, wrongheaded, or patently false a position we’ve staked out may be, courage nonetheless demands that we blindly pound home our stupid point, never letting up.

True valor is the moment in a conversation when you realize that what you’re saying is completely and utterly wrong, but you continue to say it over and over again anyway, only louder.

Suppose you’re discussing current events with a group of friends, one of whom politely challenges an assertion you’ve made about a particular issue. In such congenial gatherings, it can be tempting to back down, especially when someone has just put forth evidence that soundly debunks everything you’ve been saying. The courageous path takes more discipline. It means looking that friend in the eye and—though you know full well that you are totally wrong—saying, “No, I’m right.”

The same dilemma applies when you’re arguing with someone who obviously has far more information about a subject than you do. Basically, you have two choices: You can admit that you are out of your depth and that your lack of knowledge led you to the incorrect conclusion. Or you can dig in your heels, grit your teeth, and defend your misguided, uninformed opinion with every fiber of your being—even to the point of hysteria.

What is the measure of bravery? I think part of it has to do with how firmly we stand our ground when we have absolutely no clue what we’re talking about.

Another part involves having the mental strength to steel our minds against any reasonable argument that might challenge one of our beliefs. This means cultivating the ability to remain totally impervious to logic, so that when someone points out a blatant error in our line of thought, we can simply shrug and ignore them.

Can you make statements you know to be false in a determined and measured tone of voice? Can you then continue to reel off untruths by pulling idiotic examples out of your ass to further illustrate your faulty point, all the while giving no one else a chance to respond? Can you look basic common sense in the face and laugh?

Because that is what courage asks of us.

It can get lonely sometimes, aggressively defending your false beliefs until you’ve alienated everyone around you. Bravely shouting over someone’s sensible comments in order to hammer home your idea—your idea that is wrong—won’t win you any popularity contests.

Meanwhile, anyone can fold in the face of facts, or listen to a well-reasoned argument and say, “You know what? You’re right, I never thought of it that way.” But that’s the coward’s way out. Listening carefully to a friend’s point, synthesizing the new information, and letting it influence your own perspective—these are all gutless acts.

You want to know what does takes guts, though? Smugly making the timeout sign and repeatedly shouting “No, no, no, no, no, you’re wrong!” to interrupt a person you know without a doubt is absolutely right.

Is courage scary? Sure. It can be terrifying. Do you think it’s easy to stand there while someone looks at you with an expression that says, “Wow, I don’t even think you believe what you’re saying”? Or to suddenly realize that everything you’ve been saying is moronic, but to forge ahead anyway, no matter what ******** comes flying out of your mouth?

No, that takes balls of steel. But courage has its rewards, too. Sticking to your guns means never, ever having to own up to your mistakes. And it’s hard to put a price on that.
post #1026 of 1027 Unread Today, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WMC used for OTA DVR

Charles R or anyone who wants to help a new HTPC user. I should have my HTPC sometime today and hope to start setting it up to use. My main goal with it is to replace the Cable Co DVR and drop cable and go OTA only for TV shows as 95% of what we watch is available OTA. I want to make this as easy as possible for the wife to use. so I am looking for suggestions and help on setting it up. I have a HD Homerun connect to use as a tuner. The PC has windows 7 with WMC installed. I would like to have the HTPC boot directly into WMC and possibly the last channel watched or the guide when woke up. For a remote I have the URC MX850 programmable with macros so I do not think that part will be an issue to set up. I have been reading and researching and the more I read the more confused I get. Should I go with Kodi or Plez along with WMC? I found a guide source called TitanTV and it has guides that can be personalized for your area and available channels. It also has options to record to DVR if it can accept the command. Is anybody familiar with this guide? As stated to start out I want this to be as easy as possible for the wife to use. I am thinking to add a SSD to the pc for quicker start ups and down the line a 2-4 TB for storage of my music and movie library. Thanks for any help and advice.
http://www.titantv.com/default.aspx
post #1027 of 1027 Unread Today, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maynard View Post
I should have my HTPC sometime today and hope to start setting it up to use.
Once you do this most of the questions will be answered. Overall a few points...
  • You can configure Windows to boot into WMC (a pain while you are doing the initial PC configuration) inside of WMC.
  • Kodi is a good option as an extender for WMC/OTA. At the main viewing location I would use WMC (if possible) as it's much more user friendly in my eyes.
  • WMC handles your local guide and it is very good with tweaking local stations and mapping their guide data.

My WMC PC is going on three years (Windows 7 to Windows 8.x) started with a HD and I migrated to a SSD. There is no doubt booting is much faster as well as the first time you load WMC. However once you are up the running I don't notice any difference. I recently "upgraded" from a SSD back to a WD Red 1TB (it's virtually silent) and for everyday use I don't miss the SSD (at all).

If you have zero interest in other streaming media (such as HD) I would considering using the Xbox as clients. Not a lot more than a Chromebox (or even used) but they duplicate the WMC interface and can boot directly to WMC too.

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page