Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere - Page 36 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1051 of 1059 Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
I thought about trying other skins, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Please save me some time, by letting me know, which skin(s) to try.
Of course it doesn't add recordings options/features that don't exist but from a pure user interface Titan MediaBrowser is pretty slick. I actually like it better and you can customize it for mouse or remote support and it changes accordingly. A few shots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	29
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	599065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	25
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	599073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled3.png
Views:	20
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	599081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled4.png
Views:	23
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	599089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled5.png
Views:	22
Size:	536.4 KB
ID:	599097  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1059 Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Titan MediaBrowser a try.
post #1053 of 1059 Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Titan MediaBrowser a try.
I like Black Glass Nova, guide is high-contrast and information is easy to read far away.

Some skins are not as snappy on some systems and just too much for it (i.e. Raspberry Pi), but the chromebox seems to be able to handle most.
post #1054 of 1059 Old 03-16-2015, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't use WMC for a week and I'm at the point of no return. DVBLink has been rock solid with only one viewing issue and zero recording issues. I'm still debating on which NAS to use so I won't say it's a done deal. But it's about as close as it gets. I do have WMC installed in my desktop so in an emergency it can fill in. My guess is all told I'm giving up more than I'm gaining but I'll keep that for my letter of resignation.

Last edited by Charles R; 03-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #1055 of 1059 Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am humbled by all the rich people on this thread. I, unfortunately don't have the financial means to acquire a TiVo and minis in order to record TV, nor can I afford an expensive PC that uses a lot of electricity.

However, I am able to create a whole home DVR solution using one $35 Android TV stick for DVR/PVR backend and a $70 HDHomeRun tuner. An $80 Android TV box connected to each TV that has full DVR capability and all the internet apps.

This is a poor man's solution and it works very well.
post #1056 of 1059 Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My Windows Media Center days are gone. Approaching two weeks since I have used it and I must say I don't miss it at all. I have have a couple of bumps during the transfer process. Such as WMC recording at the same time as DVBLink and running out of tuners. Bottom line I'm giving up recording intelligence (better Repeat logic, conflict resolution, etc) and gaining the ability to be PC less for recordings. Along with something new. After almost three years I was ready for a change.

My NAS is scheduled to wake up at 6 pm and powers down at 2 am (WoL for clients and maintenance). While alive it does all of the recordings and stores them locally. It's completely self-contained. I can manage my recordings with Kodi or any browser via the DVBLink interface. The browser interface is rather plain Jane but it comes in handy for your typical maintenance. Easier than Remote Desktop and or powering up the PC.

Now I have to thank or curse RTK (Rick) for his suggestion to look at Kodi's Titan MediaBrowser skin. I don't think I would have switched if I hadn't. It took a couple of hours to configure but once I did my user experience was superior to WMC. Now for those advanced thinkers yes I can use Kodi with WMC via ServerWMC so that's irrelevant. However it isn't on one level. It introduces enough of a change that I'm willing to change other things right along with it... if that makes sense.

Again the real swap is taking a PC out of service and re-purposing it. Letting my NAS handle recordings and having a client for viewing. I like that I'm not relying on a PC for recordings. It was never really an issue but it just feels better knowing you don't have to worry about a PC being up. Also, my viewing is done via clients which are completely independent of the recording process so no matter what they can't influence it. In the past I have used my desktop or a dedicated PC for both recording and viewing.

During the process I did give TiVo a passing thought but I watch a fair of TV on my desktop and I can have the identical interface as my clients. Only difference is I tweaked the skin for mouse support versus a remote.

Is DVBLink better than WMC? On a generic level I would recommend WMC. In my case I give DVBLink 51%. If they educate the recording logic a fair degree it will be closer to 75%. My buy in was roughly $50 in software (NAS recordings apps) and $30 annually for guide data. The data comes from the same service TiVo uses. Unfortunately DVBLink doesn't implement a few options based on the guide data that TiVo does... hence my earlier comment.

If you have any interest there is a similar DVBLink thread linked in my signature with lots of pretty pictures and a little information. I leave WMC with more affection than when I started and I'm certainly not running from it. Rather I'm looking forward to something new I'll hopefully appreciate to the same degree.

Attached is the NAS resting on an old-school DVD player that hides a few wires and isn't even plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02215a.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	613673  
post #1057 of 1059 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
My Windows Media Center days are gone. Approaching two weeks since I have used it and I must say I don't miss it at all. I have have a couple of bumps during the transfer process. Such as WMC recording at the same time as DVBLink and running out of tuners. Bottom line I'm giving up recording intelligence (better Repeat logic, conflict resolution, etc) and gaining the ability to be PC less for recordings. Along with something new. After almost three years I was ready for a change.

My NAS is scheduled to wake up at 6 pm and powers down at 2 am (WoL for clients and maintenance). While alive it does all of the recordings and stores them locally. It's completely self-contained. I can manage my recordings with Kodi or any browser via the DVBLink interface. The browser interface is rather plain Jane but it comes in handy for your typical maintenance. Easier than Remote Desktop and or powering up the PC.
1. What NAS are you using? Custom Built? I didn't know you can actually make NAS power down and up itself. I know a computer can do that.

2. What Media viewing software is that I believe I never heard of DVBLInk?
post #1058 of 1059 Old Today, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcallister33 View Post
1. What NAS are you using? Custom Built? I didn't know you can actually make NAS power down and up itself. I know a computer can do that.

2. What Media viewing software is that I believe I never heard of DVBLInk?
Just follow the NAS Based DVR link in my signature. It's not for everyone but it's rather cool. The NAS is a (very) low-end QNAP at $149 and most vendors have power scheduling and drive spin down.
post #1059 of 1059 Unread Today, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Just follow the NAS Based DVR link in my signature. It's not for everyone but it's rather cool. The NAS is a (very) low-end QNAP at $149 and most vendors have power scheduling and drive spin down.
...Wow. Turning NAS into personal TV server? That's awesome....I just might look into this. I'll be sure to tread the water carefully.
I been researching to find a good meaningful HTPC to allow to watch TV without cablebox but extend extra channels through every room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page