Windows Media Center vs TiVo Premiere - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,979
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Amazon has pulled themselves from the ($300) Lifetime listing. Not the first time so who knows. Previously I was getting "used" units and they pulled it (for a while). I have one that's suppose to show up by the weekend. On the $50 listing which said Lifetime (by mistake) I ended up with $250 refunded on other purchases so worse case if it doesn't have Lifetime I'm sure they will offer some type of compensation

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-C2 Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo |
Charles R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Just a little update that the Amazon deal is definitely dead. The last batch of units being sold as lifetime actually aren't.
I don't know if those bad reviews are from the stock provided by Amazon or the third-party sellers. Amazon pulled it from sales last month for the same reason, but it returned. I would think the third parties are buying from Amazon and reselling. But wouldn't think they would be doing anything with the product before reselling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I still think there is a huge gap between your perceived risk and the actual risk.
No disagreement here. Some people are a bit more cautious than others. I follow the mantra "prepare for the worst, hope for the best." But frankly, my concerns stem completely from the manufacturer's 90-day warranty. I expect that from an Element TV, for example; but not from a product I've heard most users have had trouble-free for many, many years.

And I have a few other issues that I won't go into detail here about the service. But most everything in your original post has merit and I appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts; they helped.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1083 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I've used Video ReDo for years.
Yup, I've seen your mention of this several times. I'll look into it. Free is nice, but you get what you pay for. Movie Maker has worked quite often, but with several attempts with WMC files it has been hit and miss. I have a few shows I still want to edit, so I will do a search for this program. Thanks.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1084 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
I don't know if those bad reviews are from the stock provided by Amazon or the third-party sellers. Amazon pulled it from sales last month for the same reason, but it returned. I would think the third parties are buying from Amazon and reselling. But wouldn't think they would be doing anything with the product before reselling.
I'm not getting this from reviews but from people currently posting in the Tivo forums that just received their back ordered units, supposedly from Amazon stock. Flyer in the factory sealed box says "service included", yet Tivo will not honor. Don't know who's at fault, just warning folks that these are apparently not actually lifetime units.

I haven't looked back at my original post, but I think the gist of it was don't worry about WMC. It will probably work fine for several more years. But if you do want to make a move, consider Tivo (or now that the Amazon deal is really dead, a used Tivo). I would start worrying about WMC when Win 7 support actually expires. Hopefully by then we'll have plenty of new options from SD, JRiver and others.
mdavej is offline  
post #1085 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I haven't looked back at my original post, but I think the gist of it was don't worry about WMC. It will probably work fine for several more years. But if you do want to make a move, consider Tivo (or now that the Amazon deal is really dead, a used Tivo). I would start worrying about WMC when Win 7 support actually expires. Hopefully by then we'll have plenty of new options from SD, JRiver and others.
Yeah, that was your point in your prior post and you're right. But I do want to upgrade to W10 while it's free, so that is what had me being frantic. But you're right that there can be so much released between now and July to replace WMC. Just been trying to stay away from products that require me to spend more time updating the software than the time I spend watching what little TV I do watch. I only record about 8-9 hours a week average, so why is this a dilemma? Because I'm an idiot, that's why.

I haven't even tackled buying something refurbished, so anything used is out of the question for me.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1086 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 12,608
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I would start worrying about WMC when Win 7 support actually expires.
Actually, he's on a ticking clock.

He noted in a previous post that he wants to transition to Win-10 during the free upgrade period. That means his use of WMC will end in much less than a year so he needs to figure something out sooner rather than later.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #1087 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Actually, he's on a ticking clock.

He noted in a previous post that he wants to transition to Win-10 during the free upgrade period. That means his use of WMC will end in much less than a year so he needs to figure something out sooner rather than later.
In that case, WMC already works completely in Win 10, including DRM and extenders. Granted, it's a hack. But it already takes many hacks for WMC to function well in Win 7 (color space, edge coordinates, Netflix, Netflix search, etc.).

But I still have to ask why he's compelled to get Win 10. Is the loss of WMC worth the gain of flat graphics and whatever other nonsense you get in Win 10, like incompatible/non-functioning drivers, forced updates, spyware, etc.?

I've got Win 10 on about a dozen computers. He's not missing anything. I have Win 7 on my WMC machine, as it should be and shall remain forever, amen.

Last edited by mdavej; 12-03-2015 at 02:19 PM.
mdavej is offline  
post #1088 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
In that case, WMC already works completely in Win 10, including DRM and extenders. Granted, it's a hack. But it already takes many hacks for WMC to function well in Win 7 (color space, edge coordinates, Netflix, Netflix search, etc.).
Yes, I have heard of people using WMC on W10. But part of the romance for me was that WMC was updated as needed by MS. To utilize that hacked version would require user input initially and periodically to the effect adding something like Kodi or Plex would. I'm not in love with the interface, just that it has been a reliable piece of software that has been managed by MS.

It's almost like they are just moving it to Xbox One and it looks completely refreshed. I wouldn't care if the interface changed, just that I don't want to have to stay on top of bugs and updates. Hope my craziness is somewhat explained.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
But I still have to ask why he's compelled to get Win 10. Is the loss of WMC worth the gain of flat graphics and whatever other non-sense you get in Win 10, like incompatible/non-functioning drivers, forced updates, spyware, etc.?

I've got Win 10 on about a dozen computers. He's not missing anything. I have Win 7 on my WMC machine, as it should be and shall remain forever, amen.
As someone who HATES W7, at least it wasn't the debacle W8 was. I was quite happy with XP. Since I'm hearing favorable things on W10 rather than what I heard when W8 arrived, I thought why not take a chance? I considered just keeping W7 on my main unit (I have a backup PC and a laptop as well), but don't want the ordeal of knowing and operating two OS concurrently.

Hey, I never said there was any practicality to the way I do things. I'm old, change gets harder. My brain is out of warranty and often no longer supported like W7.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1089 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
Yes, I have heard of people using WMC on W10. But part of the romance for me was that WMC was updated as needed by MS .... I'm not in love with the interface, just that it has been a reliable piece of software that has been managed by MS.
Unfortunately, romance has clouded your reality, as it does with all of us. Besides OS compatibility when porting from Vista to 7 to 8, WMC hasn't seen an update since about 2005. Not a single bug fix or improvement. Development team was disbanded years ago. Internet channels are gone, Netflix is gone, simple navigation bugs still exist. You've been operating under the delusion that MS has been updating WMC. They haven't.

Ask yourself what feature of Win 10 is more compelling than your current working version of WMC. I bet you can't name a single Win 10 feature that you cannot live without. But I know you can't currently live without WMC.

Your best option is to forget about Win 10 for your HTPC. Leave it on Win 7, and you'll be set for the next several years. A lot can change in that time.
mdavej is offline  
post #1090 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Unfortunately, romance has clouded your reality, as it does with all of us. Besides OS compatibility when porting from Vista to 7 to 8, WMC hasn't seen an update since about 2005. Not a single bug fix or improvement. Development team was disbanded years ago. Internet channels are gone, Netflix is gone, simple navigation bugs still exist. You've been operating under the delusion that MS has been updating WMC. They haven't.

Ask yourself what feature of Win 10 is more compelling than your current working version of WMC. I bet you can't name a single Win 10 feature that you cannot live without. But I know you can't currently live without WMC.

Your best option is to forget about Win 10 for your HTPC. Leave it on Win 7, and you'll be set for the next several years. A lot can change in that time.
Gosh, I can't argue with anything you wrote. That post needs to be read a few more times and it just might get to me. But I've been considering that route somewhat.

As for the updates, I probably chose the wrong term. I know there have not been any updates to its features and your post makes me realize that they haven't updated any systems files because obviously haven't been necessary.

All I have ever used it for was recording OTA (local channels via cable a few years ago) and don't even recall a Netflix link. I don't have a NetFlix account anyways. Tried one of the Internet channels once sometime ago and though "cute" but I don't have time to watch the 8-9 hrs a week I record so not looking for more. I have DVDs of movies I haven't even seen as well as some online like Vudu, Amazon, etc.

Great reasoning and thanks for making the points. But when my HTPC dies and I replace it with whatever version OS is active, I will be stuck with W7 on my other machines. Maybe just upgrade on those, but like I said don't want to have 2 OS in the house. But life isn't always how we want is it? I will ponder...
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1091 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
I try to think of my HTPC as an appliance like my Tivo, Roku, Xbox, PS3, Raspberry Pi, iPhone, Android phone, Kindle, etc. which all run different OS's. Doesn't matter what it is, it's at a level I never see anyway. Since I want my HTPC to always function just as it does today, it is frozen, it never updates. It just works day in, day out, no surprise updates breaking anything that have to be rolled back. I learned my lesson on that a long time ago.

I have one laptop on Win 8 still, simply because no working video driver in Win 10 exists and never will (the manufacturer has confirmed it). One of my kids run Linux, my HTPC is on Win 7, and my other PCs are Win 10.

If your HTPC dies and you replace it with Win 10, just load WMC back on it. No need to endure that pain now and refuse to load WMC just because it isn't "supported" by MS.

Having said all that, I'm delving into the past a little with my examples. My HTPC has actually been retired for a while. But if I powered it back up, it would work the same as the day I decommissioned it.
mdavej is offline  
post #1092 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I try to think of my HTPC as an appliance like my Tivo, Roku, Xbox, PS3, Raspberry Pi, iPhone, Android phone, Kindle, etc. which all run different OS's. Doesn't matter what it is, it's at a level I never see anyway. Since I want my HTPC to always function just as it does today, it is frozen, it never updates. It just works day in, day out, no surprise updates breaking anything that have to be rolled back. I learned my lesson on that a long time ago.

I have one laptop on Win 8 still, simply because no working video driver in Win 10 exists and never will (the manufacturer has confirmed it). One of my kids run Linux, my HTPC is on Win 7, and my other PCs are Win 10.

If your HTPC dies and you replace it with Win 10, just load WMC back on it. No need to endure that pain now and refuse to load WMC just because it isn't "supported" by MS.

Having said all that, I'm delving into the past a little with my examples. My HTPC has actually been retired for a while. But if I powered it back up, it would work the same as the day I decommissioned it.
Well, I don't have all those types of appliances. But what I meant was there are procedures that are probably differently performed in W10 than in W7. Hard for me to keep track as I'm not a newbie with PCs (my first one ran on DOS and had a 20mb HD), but I simply don't stay on top of the latest and greatest changes that go on. I don't need my PC to make a cup of coffee; what I do on it is more than enough.

The terminology used on here gets way over my head at times. Thank you for explaining "frozen" as Charles R mentioned it several times and I didn't quite get what he was discussing. That is an option.

When you mention when my PC dies and replace it with Win 10, I suppose you meant that the replacement PC had Win 10 on it. You said to load WMC on the new one. Do you mean the current "hack" that I haven't read the details yet about? Would most likely be much more refined by that point too.

All this might be moot, as I just spent the last couple hours installing Kodi on my backup PC that I had been using NextPVR as a tryout for. I really like Kodi. Yes it took some work (and isn't done by a long shot) but just about everything you buy requires an initial setup, so I can't complain. I watched a YouTube video on getting it installed as it's not as straight forward as just installing an add-on. But seeing what there is to add on to it, kind of makes WMC look like that Element TV I mentioned earlier. (I don't own one and don't buy bargain stuff like that) It truly is an experience. I wonder why @Kelson didn't tell me how great it was? Yes, Kelson, I know it's because I didn't show interest in maintaining something.

Anyways, it's a work in process so now I have to find something else to do during the time I had set aside jumping off the Brent Spence Bridge.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1093 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,979
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
I really like Kodi. Yes it took some work (and isn't done by a long shot) but just about everything you buy requires an initial setup, so I can't complain.
Today I installed OpenELEC/Kodi on another Pi2. Took about 10 minutes. I installed the Milhouse Beta (Jarvis) and the Titan Skin. Restored my backup and was good to go.

The day before I tried to upgrade a ASUS ViVo UN42 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and spent endless hours... finally giving up. It only has a 32GB mSATA with a 13GB Recovery partition. Which means there is zero ways (I mean zero don't bother asking if I tried this or that... ) of freeing enough space on drive C to upgrade.

By the way the latest and greatest SD card for speed is the Samsung EVO+. Makes a big difference with the Pi2. Best Buy has it for $10 (32GB) which is a steal. So does Fry's if you price match!

Bottom line Kodi is hard not to like. Once I got Titan configured I even preferred it over WMC's interface for TV viewing.

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-C2 Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo |
Charles R is offline  
post #1094 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
T
Bottom line Kodi is hard not to like. Once I got Titan configured I even preferred it over WMC's interface for TV viewing.
Most of your post was over my head (no surprise). Does Titan provide TV listings for Kodi? I haven't gotten to the point of perusing through the add ons. But I thought all listings had to be by subscription or Rovi will sue the provider. Curious.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1095 of 1106 Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,979
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
Does Titan provide TV listings for Kodi?
Titan is a Kodi skin. An interface that's slick and clean from the get go and can be highly customized if one desires. Viewing TV with Kodi I used WMC and DVBLink as back-ends with their (free) Add-ons. Both give you a grid guide which you can use for viewing or scheduling.

This thread covers a lot of Kodi TV viewing and this guy OpenELEC/Kodi. This is an old default view of the guide for some skin and back-end...


| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-C2 Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo |

Last edited by Charles R; 12-03-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Charles R is offline  
post #1096 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Titan is a Kodi skin. An interface that's slick and clean from the get go and can be highly customized if one desires. Viewing TV with Kodi I used WMC and DVBLink as back-ends with their (free) Add-ons. Both give you a grid guide which you can use for viewing or scheduling.
Yeah, that looks great. It would have to be paired with another source though since I wouldn't have WMC eventually when I upgrade. I will need to determine which EPG to use with it. Thanks for the picture; so much to choose from.

I will check out that thread as well.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1097 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did you look at MediaPortal? It is arguably a more familiar solution to those used to consumer-facing dvr products.
eherberg is offline  
post #1098 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Did you look at MediaPortal? It is arguably a more familiar solution to those used to consumer-facing dvr products.
No, I did not. I see there is another option to look into. More reading. My brain is asking what is going on. I will certainly review the articles that came up. Thanks!
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1099 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,979
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
Yeah, that looks great. It would have to be paired with another source though since I wouldn't have WMC eventually when I upgrade..
You can get DVBLink for well less than $100 and the guide data at $30 per year thereafter. It runs on NAS, Raspberry Pi, Windows, Mac, etc. Run it on your desktop and use a Pi2 for viewing via Kodi.

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-C2 Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo |
Charles R is offline  
post #1100 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
You can get DVBLink for well less than $100 and the guide data at $30 per year thereafter. It runs on NAS, Raspberry Pi, Windows, Mac, etc. Run it on your desktop and use a Pi2 for viewing via Kodi.
Unfortunately, I haven't taken (or been able to take) the time to read through this thread to get to the point you became a fan of DBLink. I only read your initial post with all the updates.

I really would like to steer away from adding more hardware as I don't want my setup to get too complicated. I'll reiterate that I watch only OTA broadcasts on a time shifted basis mainly. It is extremely rare for me to watch any live TV. And this is accomplished via one TV in my condo and averages 8-9 hours per week.

I've been reading the forum for Media Portal and really like the responses I have seen. They do have an add-on for Kodi, but their package is pretty nice as a stand-alone program.

I have three PCs. but really just use the one daily. In the past, a TV show I edited to re-watch minus commercials would just get doubl-clicked and watched in Windows MP. Kodi would change that practice. But I don't even do that very often.

Regardless, I will need to find an EPG for my solution. I wouldn't want to buy the DVBLink to be eligible for theirs though.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1101 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Why couldn't you accomplish the same (minus auto comm skip) with a $35 iView for free (no guide data fee)?
mdavej is offline  
post #1102 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Why couldn't you accomplish the same (minus auto comm skip) with a $35 iView for free (no guide data fee)?
Hey, Dave. That would be adding hardware and hardware with just one tuner. I do need two and currently use the HD HomeRun. I believe Kelson suggested it earlier. If I recall the reviews were horrible on that product.

In WMC, I have always used my wireless mouse. I click the FF button around 6 times and do a little fiddling. It works okay, but haven't been spoiled by any comm skip. I think the button is adjustable in Kodi.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1103 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,267
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
Hey, Dave. That would be adding hardware and hardware with just one tuner. I do need two and currently use the HD HomeRun. I believe Kelson suggested it earlier. If I recall the reviews were horrible on that product.
Net would be LESS hardware - only an iView and hard drive - no HomeRuns or PCs at all. The iView is terrible. It's the Toyota Yaris of DVRs. But it works fine for my college kids.

So if iView doesn't cut it, how about the Channel Master DVR+? Net hardware change negative one (PC and Homerun go away replaced by a single box).
mdavej is offline  
post #1104 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Net would be LESS hardware - only an iView and hard drive - no HomeRuns or PCs at all. The iView is terrible. It's the Toyota Yaris of DVRs. But it works fine for my college kids.

So if iView doesn't cut it, how about the Channel Master DVR+? Net hardware change negative one (PC and Homerun go away replaced by a single box).
Oh. my PC isn't going anywhere? How would I chat with you? And I need the HomeRun for the two tuners.

CM+ is okay, but I have digested so much since, I can't recall if it has the 2 tuners. Nonetheless, I struck that off my list for several reasons I can't go into right now as I'm on my way out for a short time.

The iView probably would have served the purpose, but I don't buy anything with a 1-star Amazon rating over 10%. I think it had 15%.

I like the software solution and am gravitating towards that. Seeing Kodi and this Media Portal really strengthened your argument that WMC wasn't and isn't where it should have been. That darn thing is lookin nasty to me now and I might just be a bit gladthey're moving away from it . But I do need to start looking at how one gets an EPG legitimately. It might mean going into Silicon Dust's DVR program that includes an okay one with their DVR service that costs $30/year. Rovi seems to have the EPG market in bully-mode.
FresnoMan is offline  
post #1105 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 11,979
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
I really would like to steer away from adding more hardware as I don't want my setup to get too complicated.
If you want to view TV on your PC you wouldn't be adding any hardware. DVBLink (uses the same guide data as TiVo) would run on your PC/desktop and can be viewed on it as well. Basically it's a replacement for WMC.

Personally, I like having viewing clients and at roughly $70 for a Pi2 (with accessories) it's hard not to justify and takes about 10 minutes to configure.

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-C2 Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo |
Charles R is offline  
post #1106 of 1106 Old 12-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
If you want to view TV on your PC you wouldn't be adding any hardware. DVBLink (uses the same guide data as TiVo) would run on your PC/desktop and can be viewed on it as well. Basically it's a replacement for WMC.
Oh, I apologize. Like I said, I hadn't read this thread yet. Is DVBLink the software packages I'm seeing for Windows showing at 49 Euros? Am I also assuming this is a "package" program that basically adds a "WMC"-like program to my PC and contains the EPG? I mean forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Personally, I like having viewing clients and at roughly $70 for a Pi2 (with accessories) it's hard not to justify and takes about 10 minutes to configure.
Justifiable, financially; I won't argue with you there. But my viewing habits haven't changed in years. When I had a TV in my bedroom way back when, I watched it a few times and perhaps more often since my PC was in the sitting room within. But I have never been a bedroom TV watcher.

Yeah, maybe 10 minutes for you to configure. Lemme pencil you in for a time and date to set up 12 clients in my tiny 3 bedroom condo. We'll put a client in each of the bathrooms. Oh, by the way...what's a client? Just kidding.
FresnoMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off