Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #121 of 917 Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
  • Dual buffers - the only option is to record both shows and bounce back and forth (not nearly as slick).
  • HTPC as an extender - the big drawback is you can only watch up to the point a recording was recorded when you started watching. If you start viewing a recording 20 minutes into an hour show it will stop after you reach 20 minutes. You will have to reselect the recording and fast-forward to watch the rest. Of course you could watch it live on the HTPC itself (or even record it).
  • Remotes - Harmony all the way. Simply buy one of the IR sensors (often just as cheap to purchase a WMC remote and the sensor comes with it).

WMC isn't CPU heavy at all. With my i3 I can record four shows and process commercial skip live (while it's recording the show) and the PC isn't taxed at all. Extender wise in my mind the XBox 360 is virtually it The Ceton Echo is now available (see HTPC forum) but it costs more than an the Xbox 360 (when on sale) and offers little advantages and lots of drawbacks (again for me). Especially, if you ever decide to punt selling the Xbox should be easy. Using a streamer (such as WDTV) to view recordings isn't elegant enough to me to be worth it. Perhaps for content you wish to archive and view often but for daily viewing/deleting it's not clean enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 917 Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

Very imformative thread. I just got a HDHR Dual, ordered a HDHR3 Prime, and am beginning to play around with WMC. The lack of being able to switch back and forth between two buffers is going to be particularly difficult to get used to, especially when watching two simultaneous football games just a few minutes behind live. I'll probably continue to use our TiVoHDs for that as long as the rest of the family doesn't mind (and I'm sure they won't once I get something in place as a media extender).
Speaking of a media extender, is there any way to set up a notebook PC or 2nd HTPC as a couple-shows-a-night media extender? What are the alternatives without an XBOX or the Linksys DMA2200? I'm guessing using a PS3 would be similar to using pytivo or Streambaby for transcoding for the TiVo??? That can be a mixed bag, as many transcoding operations (like from MKV) can be considerably slower than real time.
Are there any remotes that are best to use with WMC on a dedicated HTPC? What about with a PC that's used heavily for other things? Anybody using a Nexus 7 as a remote?
Tons of questions in there, so I'll try to grab a few.

- You're right, not having long-lived buffers is a bit of a pain. I think the only workaround is to record both games and then flip between them. It will be clunky.
- The Ceton Echo is a new extender on the market. It's compact, but not as full-featured as an Xbox (Netflix, Hulu Plus capability), so I'm sticking with $150 Xbox deals when I can find them.
- You can't use a PC as a true WMC extender, however Ceton tuners will let you assign specific tuners to another WMC system over a network. You will need to reassign them to your HTPC for use there afterward (I think), however.
- I have a slew of Logitech Harmony remotes from various generations around the house. I love them and they're easy to program. But there are a ton of remote control alternatives, including phone and tablet apps.
post #123 of 917 Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Are there any remotes that are best to use with WMC on a dedicated HTPC? What about with a PC that's used heavily for other things? Anybody using a Nexus 7 as a remote?

I purchased a Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media center Infrared Remote Control RRC-126 (~$27). It had good reviews, and one person reported that it worked with the Xbox 360, so I figured I could use it as an exender remote in the future. I have confirmed that is works with the Xbox 360, as well as with Windows 8. The included IR receiver was automatically detected by Win 8 and started working. I still installed the included software, but perhaps that was not necessary.

I am getting into iRule now, and they have a WMC module for control via IP. So, if you decided to invest the time and money in iRule, you could use the Nexus 7 as a remote control. I am sure there are other applications out there that allow IP control of devices; I am just speaking from my limited experience.

Mark
post #124 of 917 Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 254
A PC cannot 'extend' a host HTPC system, but if you have the Prime you could set it up to grab a Prime tuner as needed. You can also share recorded show folders between the two systems, so even though you don't have a single recording schedule you get most of the benefits (for non-copy protected shows, at least - the CP'd ones can only be viewed on the PC that records them).
Cabal0 likes this.
post #125 of 917 Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

A PC cannot 'extend' a host HTPC system...

Welllllll that depends. Any PC on a network can share library directories with any other PC. I have four computers around the house and you can watch anything recorded with any of them on any machine.

EXCEPT.. One machine has Ceton tuners with a Cablecard. Recordings made on that machine that are copy protected (Cable channels, mostly.. ) can only be played ON that computer.

EXCEPT.. The Ceton tuners can be networked, meaning any of the four tuners on the Ceton can be networked to one of the other PCs.

OR: You can throw a Hauppauge HD-DVR on the back of a satellite or cable box and most, if not all of the recordings won't be copy-protected and, therefore, portable.

WAAY more complicated than a TiVo, but if you hate restrictions and are somewhat handy with computers, you can build a box that does anything and has unlimited storage. But it's not quite as user-friendly as a TiVo. It's Windows, after all.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #126 of 917 Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Um yeah, that's what I said. A PC cannot act as an extender in the traditional sense, but you can get close if you don't have protected content. You still have the issue of not being able to watch currently recording shows in progress on another PC without a hassle however, and that is a deal-breaker for some.

Many folks have wondered why MS never allowed PCs to be extenders, and the conclusion was that they wanted to sell Xboxes (which can).
post #127 of 917 Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Many folks have wondered why MS never allowed PCs to be extenders, and the conclusion was that they wanted to sell Xboxes (which can).

I'm guessing protected content being available on another PC could have played a role. It's a lot easier to secure (or make content holders believe such) the Xbox or another extender than a PC...
post #128 of 917 Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for answering all my questions. I got my HDHR Prime last night to add to the HDHR Dual and will swing by our Comcast Service Center on the way home tonight to pick up an M-Card for it.

So far I've just been using WMC on my PC. I envision this being a very nice replacement for our 2 Comcast DVRs, but I'm not thinking of it as a whole lot more than a very nice addition to the TiVoHDs in our two main viewing rooms. I'm planning on building an i3-based Shuttle in the next few weeks to deploy as an HTPC in our main viewing room, and for now will probably just use my own PC for personal management of recordings and to extend the display to the 46" LCD in our family room. I hope to also get an XBox or Echo to access the HTPC on at least one more screen in the house, none of which see more than about 20 minutes of use on a given night.

I'm looking forward to trying iRule out. Thanks for the tip. Other than that, I have a URC RF-20 collecting dust that I think I'll put into service as a WMC remote on my PC.

Anybody have any experience with http://flirc.tv/?
post #129 of 917 Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

After using WMC for a week or so, I've run into some issues I thought were pretty cool, some that are frustrating, and some I can't find the answers to.

I'm accepting that I can't record the live buffer, but I wonder if any of the non-free DVR packages feature that - at least for the active tuner because the files are in the TempSBE folder and I've been able to manually save some "unrecorded" video from them.

But I'm really needing to know - is there any way to add to the contiguous recording time of a live program beyond its official end time? I primarily watch sports and 90 percent of the time games and events run over the time slot and what good is a game if you don't get the ending? (Recording the next program after that is not a good solution when the following program is often several hours long)

I see WMC is running in overlay mode so I can't take any screen captures on playback. I have to go to an editor like VideoRedo for such a thing, which takes a lot of time. I've found mention that this (overlay mode) can be switched, but wouldn't want to invoke any problems in doing so. Any experience with this?

BTW, I set up Remote Potato and was able to start a recording immediately from work today and in less than a minute I was playing it back (in much lower quality, of course) on my Nexus 7. That's super cool - I never even dreamed of doing that with a TiVo!

I don't believe I'll be ditching the TiVo anytime soon for its WAF, but I'm sure not giving up WMC (or some variation of it) if I can help it. There's definitely room for them to coexist in our house.

One more question, and it may be the most important one I have. Is there a way to save the metadata within the file properties of the WTV files when editing out chunks of the file (like commercials)? In lieu of that, pyTivo uses a text file of the same name as the video file to store the metadata - which works great when compressing the file to a more efficient h.264 file. Perhaps one of you knows of a utility to extract that metadata to a txt file?
post #130 of 917 Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a way to save the metadata within the file properties of the WTV files when editing out chunks of the file (like commercials)?
I discovered the answer to this one. If I edit the file in VideoRedo and save it as a WTV file, it preserves the metadata in the file properties.
post #131 of 917 Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But I'm really needing to know - is there any way to add to the contiguous recording time of a live program beyond its official end time?

You can add time to a scheduled or current recording fairly easy. Click on the scheduled recording (via the guide, view scheduled, etc), click on the right arrow, click on Record Settings and update the Stop setting. For a show currently being recorded right click on it in the guide (instead of left click). Of course under Tasks - settings - TV - Recorder - Recording Defaults you can set the default for all recordings.

post #132 of 917 Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't believe I'll be ditching the TiVo anytime soon for its WAF, but I'm sure not giving up WMC (or some variation of it) if I can help it.

Are you using a Harmony (or other programmable remote) with WMC? I found the moment I did the interface became very appliance like. After a decade of TiVoing it certainly was different however after a week or so I was good to go. Now I'm using an Xbox 360 as an extender and have found zero reason to remote desktop into the PC. Not sure why but for some reason the Xbox 360 has become a little snappier than it was originally. Like when I fast forward it responds quicker. So much so I no longer get the urge to use the PC. Although I still miss commercial skip. I recently ran across a reference to a utility that actually rewrites the recording (minus the commercials) which I'm presuming would work with extenders. However since I (mostly) watch commercial delayed it wouldn't help as it wouldn't process the recording until it was fully recorded. Also, I like the fact that the one I was/am using doesn't touch the recording as it simply creates a file referencing where to skip. That way if it guesses wrong (which at times it does rather badly) I can instantly turn it off and see what I missed.

post #133 of 917 Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I finally connected my WMC machine via HDMI yesterday, and I got it working, but I have a few issues to work through. In the hopes that readers of this thread can assist me, I will post the issues here instead of starting a new thread.

Issue #1: Getting my Nvidia GT520 GPU to detect my AVR, so that I can send it Dolby Digital.
It is currently only sending PCM 2.0, because I performed the initial setup and testing with an HDMI TV in the basement. The Nvidia control panel detected the "Sharp" TV, and I set it up. After I figured out how to get that working, I sent the signal through my HDMI distribution system to the Family Room system, and could only get PCM 2.0, as it was using the Sharp as the second monitor. I could not figure out how to set up another monitor, as it was not detecting anything. There was an option to manually set something up in the Nvida control panel, but I did not proceed; maybe that is the solution. Maybe the "Hotplug" setting on my Lumagen video processor would help?

Issue #2: Nvidia Resolution Settings
I can easily adjust the resolution settings in the Nvida control panel, but how do I manage multiple devices and resolutions. I know there is no "native" output setting, so I am trying to figure out what would be a setting that involves less GPU processing, as my Lumagen video processor can handle all the processing.

Issue #3: WMC Startup issues.
I managed to figure out how to get WMC onto the "second screen" (the HDTV), but it requires interaction with the keyboard in order to get the remote control to respond to commands, which is not very appliance-like.

Thanks for any assistance with my experiment.

Mark
post #134 of 917 Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

#1 - I would delete the current sound card (via Device Manager) and reboot. Windows should find a new sound card (the AVR) after booting and make it the default sound card. Have you installed the Shark007 audio codecs? Configuration details in the first post are still valid I believe. If you have the VP between the PC and AVR hopefully it's transparent and doesn't stop the PC from seeing the AVR.

#2 - I don't think there is an easy option to change resolutions on the fly (hot keys programmed into the remote?) and it's going to be video card/driver related if possible. I let my i3's internal video driver upscale 720p to 1080p which looks as good or better than I have seen with a AVR and TV doing such. Now XBMC will automatically switch from 1080p60 to 1080p24 so I get native playback there. Image wise simply disable all of the various enhancements (such as contrast, skin tone, etc) under the video settings and be sure it's set to no scaling.

#3 - With Windows 7 you can configure WMC to start automatically after booting. Now if using a second monitor throws it out of whack I'm not sure what you could do... perhaps make the TV the default display (#1).

post #135 of 917 Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Digging around I ran across WMC applies overscan (scales the image) if you set your display to anything other than Television. Now I can't say I see a night and day difference between the images but I thought it was worth a post. Also, one of my local channels has always broadcast two signals for each channel (one low power) and the schedule was always tied to the low power station so I had to remap the listing of the (high power) channel to it. This weekend I noticed there wasn't any data in the guide and found out it has been fixed. The moment I told the channel to use its own channel's data the guide data was back.

Other wise another month (or more) of flawless performance.

post #136 of 917 Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Best Buy's Deal of the Day is a Lenovo PC for $380...

• i3 processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • 1TB hard drive
  • HDMI video
  • Windows 8

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaCentre+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6651257.p?id=1218769062535&skuId=6651257&st=6651257&cp=1&lp=1

More or less the same hardware specs I have been using for close to six months now. It records four shows and processes live commercial skipping effortlessly. I'm using a Dell which is also a full size case and mine is quieter than TiVo and is completely silent most of the day as it hibernators. Not really endorsing this model just saying throw in a HDHomeRun tuner and about an hour of software installation/configuration and you have a solid DVR solution.

post #137 of 917 Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Best Buy's Deal of the Day is a Lenovo PC for $380...
  • i3 processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • 1TB hard drive
  • HDMI video
  • Windows 8

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaCentre+Desktop+-+6GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/6651257.p?id=1218769062535&skuId=6651257&st=6651257&cp=1&lp=1

More or less the same hardware specs I have been using for close to six months now. It records four shows and processes live commercial skipping effortlessly. I'm using a Dell which is also a full size case and mine is quieter than TiVo and is completely silent most of the day as it hibernators. Not really endorsing this model just saying throw in a HDHomeRun tuner and about an hour of software installation/configuration and you have a solid DVR solution.

Funny enough, I saw that PC as well today at BestBuy.com and was recommending it as a replacement for his dying home PC.
post #138 of 917 Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Funny enough, I saw that PC as well today at BestBuy.com and was recommending it as a replacement for his dying home PC.

Last Summer they had an i3 for $255 and another i3 (currently using this guy) for $329 or so. The current model on sale even brags about being designed for and how easy it is to be upgraded. I visit the HTPC forum and see where they are building all kinds of fancy PCs to handle WMC, XBMC and whatnot which is fine and dandy. I just don't see the justification (in a lot of cases) as these close-out models are so inexpensive and more than do the job. Mine runs XBMC like a champ and using the built-in graphics keep power usage to a minimum without sacrificing anything (unless you're gaming).

Not saying there isn't a place for building a PC but for an appliance PC these guys are hard to beat. 

post #139 of 917 Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Last Summer they had an i3 for $255 and another i3 (currently using this guy) for $329 or so. The current model on sale even brags about being designed for and how easy it is to be upgraded. I visit the HTPC forum and see where they are building all kinds of fancy PCs to handle WMC, XBMC and whatnot which is fine and dandy. I just don't see the justification (in a lot of cases) as these close-out models are so inexpensive and more than do the job. Mine runs XBMC like a champ and using the built-in graphics keep power usage to a minimum without sacrificing anything (unless you're gaming).

Not saying there isn't a place for building a PC but for an appliance PC these guys are hard to beat. 

I agree with you as well. Sometimes a decent prebuilt PC fits the bill for what many people need in an HTPC. For example if you can get a good used HP DC7800 or DC5800 on eBay for under $100 they will work great as well provided you have a Windows 7/8 upgrade license key to use and a cheap video card to toss in there. The SFF (not USFF) versions are great HTPC's.
post #140 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't believe I'll be ditching the TiVo anytime soon for its WAF, but I'm sure not giving up WMC (or some variation of it) if I can help it. There's definitely room for them to coexist in our house.
Are you using a Harmony (or other programmable remote) with WMC? I found the moment I did the interface became very appliance like. After a decade of TiVoing it certainly was different however after a week or so I was good to go. Now I'm using an Xbox 360 as an extender and have found zero reason to remote desktop into the PC. Not sure why but for some reason the Xbox 360 has become a little snappier than it was originally. Like when I fast forward it responds quicker. So much so I no longer get the urge to use the PC. Although I still miss commercial skip. I recently ran across a reference to a utility that actually rewrites the recording (minus the commercials) which I'm presuming would work with extenders. However since I (mostly) watch commercial delayed it wouldn't help as it wouldn't process the recording until it was fully recorded. Also, I like the fact that the one I was/am using doesn't touch the recording as it simply creates a file referencing where to skip. That way if it guesses wrong (which at times it does rather badly) I can instantly turn it off and see what I missed.
We had an extra WMC remote and IR receiver sitting in a drawer, so I put it to use for a few hours last week (I don't yet have a dedicated HTPC). I think WMC makes for a very capable DVR and is superior to the TiVo in many ways. I find starting and stopping recordings to be more direct, and I love having the 5 tuners in the combination of the HDHR Prime (CableCARD) and HDHR Dual (OTA/QAM). However, the active live buffer on both tuners of the TiVo trumps just about every advantage that WMC offers because of the quite random way most in my family select what they're going to view at any sit down (not much for season passes). They really need to be able to record a program from the beginning of the live buffer because they often watch a few minutes of a program before deciding they'd like to see the whole show. If they had to, I'm sure they could get used to the lack of that feature, but they'd rather not as of now.

For myself, I often just watch portions of various sporting events, and when I get to a commercial that I can't skip, I like to browse other games/programs while the primary tuner is paused. I can work around that by hitting record on everything I might want to come back to, but the tuners get tied up very quickly using that practice. I'm considering buying an additional HDHR to avoid that problem (as I've run out of both Cable and OTA tuners with that technique), but then I'm not sure how many programs I can record at once and still get acceptable playback. The limit seems to be somewhere around 4, but that could be due to the fact that I've yet to replace a megabit switch with a gigabit switch (sitting right here in front of me, LOL).

If I didn't already have lifetime and 1TB drives in our TiVoHD's, I'd probably settle on the WMC solution and make it as fully implemented as possible. In our situation for now at least, the TiVos give us some very nice flexibility that seems to be better supplemented than replaced by WMC, and the TiVo's tuners seem to be more sensitive to signal fluctuations.

I see your mention of XBMC, but I'm not really familiar with it. Is it just a shell of sorts that presents various multimedia engines like WMC in a Roku-like menu tree? Can it be put on media extenders in addition to HTPCs?
post #141 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relleum View Post

I have two complaints on my WMC setup. The first is how tuners are handled with ad hoc recording. Say a tuner is on a particular channel, and I decide I want to record; it will begin recording from that moment! What about everything that is in the rewindable buffer? I want that too! Same with changing channels to one of the other tuners. I should be able to capture back a half hour if the tuner has been on that channel already. I think tivo does this with their tuners.
Agreed, but unfortunately, I think that's a patent thing, not a technical limitation. TiVo's "invention."
You may be right on buffering both tuners (so you can pause, flip to another channel, pause that channel, flip back, and pick up where you paused the first channel). The US Patent & Trademark Office has been granting patents for some of the most trivial "inventions" for decades, so it wouldn't surprise me if TiVo will be the only DVR with that feature for several more years.

But other DVRs do let you "capture back," as Relleum put it, when starting a new recording. Even the DTVPal DVR does that (press Record, then select Options, Record Entire Event). WMC doesn't seem to be getting any further enhancements, but perhaps the next version of XBMC will offer that ability. <fingers crossed>
post #142 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

You may be right on buffering both tuners (so you can pause, flip to another channel, pause that channel, flip back, and pick up where you paused the first channel). The US Patent & Trademark Office has been granting patents for some of the most trivial "inventions" for decades, so it wouldn't surprise me if TiVo will be the only DVR with that feature for several more years.
But other DVRs do let you "capture back," as Relleum put it, when starting a new recording. Even the DTVPal DVR does that (press Record, then select Options, Record Entire Event). WMC doesn't seem to be getting any further enhancements, but perhaps the next version of XBMC will offer that ability. <fingers crossed>
If TiVo has a patent on that, then Comcast got an exemption, because both of our Comcast DVRs buffer the live tuners, and I can pause each of them independently and switch back and forth. Not quite as good as the TiVo, because if I forget to pause the tuner I switch away from, when I return to it there is no rewind buffer. TiVo doesn't care if I pause or not, both tuner buffers are retained as long as they've remained on a particular channel.
post #143 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

If TiVo has a patent on that, then Comcast got an exemption, because both of our Comcast DVRs buffer the live tuners, and I can pause each of them independently and switch back and forth. Not quite as good as the TiVo, because if I forget to pause the tuner I switch away from, when I return to it there is no rewind buffer. TiVo doesn't care if I pause or not, both tuner buffers are retained as long as they've remained on a particular channel.
Four possibilities:

1. Cabal0 was wrong and there is no patent;
2. TiVo licensed Comcast (or whoever made their DVRs) to use their "invention;"
3. The patent only covers the "auto-pause" feature you described, not buffering both tuners generally;
4. Comcast is (perhaps unknowingly) violating TiVo's patent and could be sued.

If it's #1 or 3, (or even #2 if the license fee is reasonable), there's hope for this feature to appear in XBMC or WMC soon. Even if not, patents generally last only 17 years, so PCs will get this feature sooner or later.
post #144 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I see your mention of XBMC, but I'm not really familiar with it. Is it just a shell of sorts that presents various multimedia engines like WMC in a Roku-like menu tree? Can it be put on media extenders in addition to HTPCs?

XBMC is an open source media player that's slowly acquiring DVR capabilities. It runs on PCs (only) via a variety of hardware and operating systems. It fully supports HD video/audio which makes it great for MKV playback (among others codecs). WMC will playback HD video/audio (if configured properly on the PC - extenders lose HD audio) although it's not nearly as slick... XBMC is rather elegant. Tons of features, skins and automatic media scrapping. For those using OTA only it should be an upgrade path from WMC for DVRing. Version 12 is about to ship which is the first with built-in DVR support and I'm hoping one of the required DVR back-ends becomes popular enough that's it's fairly painless to configure. It also has endless Add-ons such as Free Cable. Which scrapes all of the (legal) network sites for content and presents them to you within an easy interface. Well worth an install if you want to do anything media related outside of WMC.

post #145 of 917 Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Not really endorsing this model just saying throw in a HDHomeRun tuner and about an hour of software installation/configuration and you have a solid DVR solution.

And if you want WMC, $70 for the Windows 8 Pro Pack upgrade, since it already has Windows 8 Core installed.

I haven't found any way around that, when it's pre-installed with Windows 8 Core (Basic). And that goes up after Jan. 31.

If you want a PC mainly for WMC, you're probably better off sticking with Windows 7.

post #146 of 917 Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Right now Amazon has the HDHomeRun on sale for $61... best price I have seen since Fry's $60. They also have the remote I use (for the IR sensor) on sale for $14...

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Television-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=pd_sim_e_4

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

I agree about sticking with Windows 7 as it's not like Microsoft is upgrading WMC... it's frozen in ice at this point. Hopefully XBMC will come to the rescue for us OTA users.

post #147 of 917 Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20

Both Amazon and New Egg had the HDHomeRun for $59 dollars last week. Sale's off now at NE, but at least Amazon only upped the price a couple of bucks.

post #148 of 917 Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...They also have the remote I use (for the IR sensor) on sale for $14...

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Television-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=pd_sim_e_4
I'm interested in that remote for the little touchpad on it (I already have the IR receiver puck that came with another Lenovo PC that was unused). What's your experience with the remote?
post #149 of 917 Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm interested in that remote for the little touchpad on it (I already have the IR receiver puck that came with another Lenovo PC that was unused). What's your experience with the remote?

Surprisingly, I found it worked very nicely. Also, the remote itself appears well built and worked well. I upgraded to a Harmony simply because I wanted volume control as well as power on/off.

post #150 of 917 Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree about sticking with Windows 7 as it's not like Microsoft is upgrading WMC... it's frozen in ice at this point. Hopefully XBMC will come to the rescue for us OTA users.

And more importantly, 8MC breaks existing extenders - only the Xbox 360 can be used if you want a whole-home HTPC. Even the new Ceton Echo doesn't work, and Ceton says it's Microsoft's responsibility to fix it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo , wmc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page