Can I buy a DVR without a subscription? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, FiOS wants to charge me $17 a month for a DVR, which I think is too much. Are there any DVRs that (preferably) get the programming information from you set top box and will record video for you, without a subscription (you only pay for the box itself)? I would want a DVR that can record 1080i or 720p/i...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
You can buy a TiVo Premier with lifetime DVR service for about $600 that will work with FIOS. There will be no further DVR related charges to you but you will have to rent a cable card from Verizon and I think they charge ~$3/month. Of course you won't need a STB so that cable card fee is in lieu of the STB rental.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You can buy a TiVo Premier with lifetime DVR service for about $600 that will work with FIOS

Regarding cost keep in mind that TiVos with Lifetime retain a large percentage of their value. I have sold a half dozen or more over the years and usually come close to breaking even or even made a few bucks... not even taking into account the rental fees I saved. Your best bet if/when you decide to unload it is to upgrade the drive to 2TD and sell it on eBay. Back in the day I gave $60 for the Premiere and $400 for Lifetime and never sold one for less than $600 (last one $675)... today's market might be different. But the principal is the same they retain a lot of their value if you decide to punt.

In my case (Comcast) the first CableCARD was free. Only additional cards carried a monthly fee.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It is also worth mentioning that the reason they retain their value is because the build quality is high and people have the justified expectation that a "pre-owned" TiVo will last for many years to come.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Over the cable cards, there's a recent FCC note regarding some related new rules
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It is also worth mentioning that the reason they retain their value is because the build quality is high and people have the justified expectation that a "pre-owned" TiVo will last for many years to come.
I also take care the quality,the price must be just for is quality,a little much money is worth it!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 13
Can a Tivo be used as a whole home DVR solution like the FiOS Multi Room DVR? If so, how does that work and how much does it add to the cost? Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Multiple TiVo's can talk to each other and transfer non-protected recordings between them.
For better and more complete information, you might want to ask that question in the TiVo Premier thread.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page