tivo as digital tuner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my old sony kdf60wf655 has a hard time pulling in OTA atsc channels. whereas my small portable $50 TV manages 20, the sony only manages 3. so, I need to buy an external TV tuner. alas, there are no cheap good ones.

however, the tivo premieres have two tuners built in. I don't want to use them as intelligent VCRs, just as tuners. stop-go and the ability to start recording what I am watching would be plus-es.

can they do this without subscription? (old posts have a modest amount of disagreement on the subject, and I wonder whether this still applies to tivo's current premiere units. I would just buy the cheapest, probably off ebay.)

regards,

/iaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Yes but only for live TV, no recording or trick play (pause/rew/ff). Actually you can have trick play if you get the older Tivo HD model, but I would spend the $300 or so for a used one with a lifetime sub on fleabay, personally. Or check your local craigslist, could be even cheaper.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yes but only for live TV, no recording or trick play (pause/rew/ff). Actually you can have trick play if you get the older Tivo HD model, but I would spend the $300 or so for a used one with a lifetime sub on fleabay, personally.

The Premiere supports trick play as long as they haven't been updated past software version x... can't remember which release disabled it but I had one that worked great. I'm sure it's documented at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=67

post #4 of 20 Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Here's post 15 of the best link I could find. Perhaps trick play on an unsubbed Premiere disappeared when s/w v. 14.9.2.2 replaced v. 14.8 last December.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM

Hi guys

Just picked up a tivo off eBay to use as a tuner for my receiver and projector. I have a few high def channels thru coax but tivo will not pick up say channel 5.1 or 116.2 and a few others that have a "point". Is there a way to program this to pick up these channels?

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #6 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

Hi guys

Just picked up a tivo off eBay to use as a tuner for my receiver and projector. I have a few high def channels thru coax but tivo will not pick up say channel 5.1 or 116.2 and a few others that have a "point". Is there a way to program this to pick up these channels?
I just got a TiVo myself and was instantly disappointed that none of the clear QAM channels got added from cable and just a few of the dash channels got added from antenna. This was before I figured out that the unit had compiled a complete list of the available channels and that I had to then go into the menu (the TiVo button), go through some of the selections there until you get to "channel list" -- this is the area that will show what channels are available in your area. Each channel has a box depicted next to it that is either checked or not checked. When I saw my clear QAM channels there, I checked them (meaning "activated" them, or put them in the channels line up for channel up/down), then went back to the tuner, and VIOLA! -- there they were -- HD over standard cable, no digital box from the cable company, and ability to record them. Of course the OTA dash channels are subject to the antenna picking them up, but your listing for those should be there in the channel list as well -- even if you check them where they might appear unchecked, no guarantee that your antenna will be getting them. I can recover the whole sequence of TiVo menu choices for you, if you think this provides the solution...
post #7 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Hi guys

Have you tried tuning them directly using the number keys? Use this button as the decimal point . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #8 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
^^^That is handy info -- did not know that either...
post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

. Of course the OTA dash channels are subject to the antenna picking them up, but your listing for those should be there in the channel list as well -- even if you check them where they might appear unchecked, no guarantee that your antenna will be getting them. I can recover the whole sequence of TiVo menu choices for you, if you think this provides the solution...

If you could point out where to go that owuld be great!

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #10 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

I just got a TiVo myself and was instantly disappointed that none of the clear QAM channels got added from cable and just a few of the dash channels got added from antenna. This was before I figured out that the unit had compiled a complete list of the available channels and that I had to then go into the menu (the TiVo button), go through some of the selections there until you get to "channel list" -- this is the area that will show what channels are available in your area. Each channel has a box depicted next to it that is either checked or not checked. When I saw my clear QAM channels there, I checked them (meaning "activated" them, or put them in the channels line up for channel up/down), then went back to the tuner, and VIOLA! -- there they were -- HD over standard cable, no digital box from the cable company, and ability to record them. Of course the OTA dash channels are subject to the antenna picking them up, but your listing for those should be there in the channel list as well -- even if you check them where they might appear unchecked, no guarantee that your antenna will be getting them. I can recover the whole sequence of TiVo menu choices for you, if you think this provides the solution...

Which Tivo model is this AND are you sure there is no subscription associated with it OR is there?
post #11 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM

ok so I am home now, went to the channel list and no "point channels" in the guide, 4.1, 5.1 etc.

I tried to manually find the the channel by entering 5.1 and nothing......is there a setting I should be aware of?

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #12 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Thread Ender

Go to TiVoButton/Settings/Channels/ChannelList and be sure that all of the channels you are trying to tune are "Checked". You are able to tune 5.1 on another TV in your house, without a Cable Box, correct?

This ChannelList is what Emaych was referring to in his post above.

They consider THIS
post #13 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Go to TiVoButton/Settings/Channels/ChannelList and be sure that all of the channels you are trying to tune are "Checked". You are able to tune 5.1 on another TV in your house, without a Cable Box, correct?

This ChannelList is what Emaych was referring to in his post above.

Yes I can hard line a coax into my other TV's and get 5.1 etc etc. When I pull up the menu on the TIVO the 5.1, 116.2 etc are not listed in the channel section. Everything is normal, 2,3,4,5,6 etc.

I just spoke with someone at TIVO and they mentioned I need a TIVO tuning adaptor which is provided by my cable company and of course since I don't have true service I cannot get one.

Is my back against the wall? If so anyone want to buy a used TIVO box?

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #14 of 20 Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Thread Ender

Have you done a Channel Scan for cable channels? I believe you get to the channel scan by following the same menu path as you took to get to the Channel List. If you can get the channel on another TV without a Cabel Box, you can get it on the TiVo.

They consider THIS
post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 AM

Unfortunately I have done a channel scan numerous times

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #16 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Hi guys

Just picked up a tivo off eBay to use as a tuner....

I guess it's time for you to get specific about just what you bought, and maybe take your question to the proper TiVo thread for whatever model you bought...

Maybe the model you bought is not HD capable?

Did the unit you bought come with Lifetime?

Could the unit you bought have a defective tuner?

They consider THIS
post #17 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I guess it's time for you to get specific about just what you bought, and maybe take your question to the proper TiVo thread for whatever model you bought...

Maybe the model you bought is not HD capable?

Did the unit you bought come with Lifetime?

Could the unit you bought have a defective tuner?

Sorry as I guess perhaps I am confusing many. There is nothing wrong with the TIVO unit, I do not have a subscription.

I spoke with someone at TIVO last night and they said in order to actually receive the channels with a decimal point 5.1, 116.1 etc I need a TIVO tuning adaptor which is provided by my cable company and of course since I don't have cable service I cannot get one of these tuners.

Months ago I had cable and did not have cable boxes as my TV's were the tuner as I got all channels 2,3,4 etc etc. When I cancelled the cable, I was still somehow able to still get HD Channels 2.1, 5.2 116.1 thru the coaxial, granted I only have 10 channels but that is all I needed. Since my man cave did not have a receiver as I have a projector I purchased the TIVO in hopes to get the 5.1, 116.2 etc but again I need a Tuning Adapter for this. I hope this give you better light.

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #18 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Thread Ender

Yes you are confusing because you never seem to fully answer the questions that are asked.

WHICH MODEL OF TIVO DID YOU PURCHASE?

CAN YOU RECEIVE THE (5.1 etc.) CHANNELS TODAY ON YOU OTHER TV?

Most CableCo's do not encrypt or SDV locals. The only reason you would need a tuning adapter is if you had a CableCard AND they were using SDV in your area.

IF you can receive the (5.1 etc.) channels TODAY on your other TV, you should be able to receive them on the TiVo IF the TV is an HD capable model and IF it's tuner is working properly.

They consider THIS
post #19 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Yes you are confusing because you never seem to fully answer the questions that are asked.

WHICH MODEL OF TIVO DID YOU PURCHASE?

CAN YOU RECEIVE THE (5.1 etc.) CHANNELS TODAY ON YOU OTHER TV?

Most CableCo's do not encrypt or SDV locals. The only reason you would need a tuning adapter is if you had a CableCard AND they were using SDV in your area.

IF you can receive the (5.1 etc.) channels TODAY on your other TV, you should be able to receive them on the TiVo IF the TV is an HD capable model and IF it's tuner is working properly.

It is a TIVO HD 652
Yes I do get these channels (5.1, 16.2 etc) right now on my other TV's thru Coax

Spoke to one guy today told me to plug the coax into the antenna portion of the TIVO and run a scan of both antenna and cable. I did this and now the missing channels do appear in the channel list but there is still no picture/sound. So I removed the Coax from antenna port and attached it to the Cable port thinking I could trick the box but no luck.

I caled back 2 x - first guy said, I will not get any service unless I subscribe which is BS

2nd guy said yes my regular tv will pull the channels in as the tv tuner is stronger and that I might want to either get a signal booster or actually buy an antenna (which I already have tried with no luck) for the Tivo. I am at my wits end.

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #20 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

......I purchased the TIVO in hopes to get the 5.1, 116.2 etc but again I need a Tuning Adapter for this. 

No, you do not. Not if you're getting them on your TV's.

And rather than "tuning adapter", you're talking about a CableCARD, so the channels will map correctly (and you'll also get programming data), since it's been established that your local channels are not on SDV.

And for heaven's sake - quit calling the cable company. You've already admitted to them you're receiving their channels without paying for them. Just be glad they let that one slide. Naturally they're going to try and sell you something.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page