SD vs. HD recordings on DTVpal DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I apologize in advance if this has been covered before (I spend long periods of time away from the forums due to illness)....

Is there any way to force the DTVpal DVR to record in SD vs. HD?
A good deal of the shows that I record I could tolerate watching in SD, since there is so much more recording time allocated to SD recordings.

I probably know the answer but I wanted to be sure (I'm thinking that if the signal that I'm recording is being broadcast in HD, then there is no option to record it in SD).
If I'm correct in my assumption (please confirm this for me anyway) it would have been nice (and practical) for them to have designed in the ability to switch over to SD (in the event of a minimal amount of remaining record time).

If there is some device that could convert HD signals to SD, this might work as well.
Is there such a device?.....just thinking out loud.

Thank you for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
What kind of recorder do you have? If a HD DVR then they cannot change the format of the program, your only choice is to record the SD duplicate channel(if one is available), I've done this for programs I know are only SD upconverts when my DVR is getting full.
SD DVDRs reencode HD channels to SD on the fly but they will not be able to directly tune any channel thats scrambled, although you can easily play your HD programs on your DVR and record them realtime(using line outputs) and then delete the program off your DVR freeing up space. A decent DVDR w/hdd starts ~$230 though.

Edit: looks like you have a DTVPal in which case your OTA. In this case your only choice using the Pal would be to record any duplicate SD sub channels. In my market FOX, CW and MyTV have duplicate SD sub channels. Nothing for CBS, ABC and NBC. If you were on cable most of the channels have a SD duplicate channel.
You could use a DVDR w/HDD and digital tuner to directly record things you wanted in SD but again they start >$200
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks!....
I was hoping that there might be a device that could simply take the RF input (from my antenna) and convert all HD content to SD.
....I suppose that there would be little demand for such a device!
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I can think of one way to accomplish such a task and it wouldn't cost much, possibly as low as $20 used.......
Purchase a CECB(SD digital to analog converter box) and record the NTSC analog channel 3 output to the RF input on your Pal.
Any channel(including HD channels) would be downconverted to analog. This is assuming the Pal can record analog channels?? I know my Tivo HD can and even allows different quality settings(compression levels) for the recording.
Sure it would be kind of hokey but it would be cheap and allow you to realtime downconvert HD to a much smaller SD file size, again this assuming the Pal has a analog tuner...
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 272
It does not. According to the DTVPal topic, it has only dual ATSC tuners.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Why on earth would you want such a feature other than to save space?? confused.gif

BTW, there is a dedicated thread on this as there is fro most other popular devices.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The short answer is that the DTVPAL DVR records the currently selected program bit by bit, so there is "no way" to force it to record in SD, unless the particular program itself is being broadcast as SD.

So if you want to record an HD program in "SD" on the DTVPAL DVR -
#1 - get a CECB
#2 - get a device that will convert the analog outputs on that to ATSC
then record from the ATSC modulator

Good luck finding a reasonably priced consumer version of that modulator....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page