Cablecard DVR options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to bail on my favorite DVR Dish network. I've been a customer for 10 years but have to switch to Time Warner.
I've tried Time Warner in the past but their DVR were crap.
I am considering a Tivo Premiere with a cablecard, then I ran across Moxi.
Moxi looked great, a one time purchase and no monthly fees.
Since there product is no longer offered I was wondering if I could get some recommendations from the AVS crowd.
My requirements are really Cablecard, HDTV and easy recording.
I do not want to build a media center PC, I just want a relatively simple experience to replace my Dish Network DVR.

Is Tivo my only other option?
Options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 264
If you want Cablecard and don't want to roll your own PC, Tivo is your only option. It also happens to be a good one that is easy to use.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome View Post

I am considering a Tivo Premiere with a cablecard, then I ran across Moxi.
Moxi looked great, a one time purchase and no monthly fees.
TiVo can is also be acquired as a one-time purchase with no recurring monthly fees. It's called a "lifetime subscription".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
One can still buy a Moxi box used, but they're not made anymore. Also keep in mind that Arris, the company that bought out Digeo, has already made movement in the direction of ending the guide service for the Moxi CableCARD boxes. If you want something that doesn't have a ticking clock already attached to it, TiVo is your best bet. If you really don't want to pay monthly, the aforementioned lifetime service might be more what you're looking for.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Dish makes the best DVR in my opinion as far as user interface goes.
My experience with Time Warner's DVR was horrible, I returned it after one week.
Now I have to switch to Time Warner to get the Laker games so it looks like my only options are the horrible Time Warner DVR or a Tivo.
My initial cost analysis says that Tivo will cost about $6 a month less then TW but I have to put up $150.
Technology changes too much to justify a 34 month break even for a lifetime on one box. ($500 divided by $15 a month)

So my question now is, does the TW DVR still suck?
Will a New Tivo with a cable card be a usable replacement for my Dish DVR.

I really liked the idea of Moxi but the product is dead in my opinion. Too bad there is not another product out there like the Moxi.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well you can also buy your own Motorola DVR but it is basically the same one you would rent from Comcast/Cox or the others.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Well you can also buy your own Motorola DVR but it is basically the same one you would rent from Comcast/Cox or the others.

Yeah, uh, no. No you can't. No US cableco would touch it with a 10 foot pole, even if they had Moto infrastructure.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Technology changes too much to justify a 34 month break even for a lifetime on one box. ($500 divided by $15 a month)
Your loss, the tradeoff is putting up with a craptacular DVR in return for your non-investment.

Tivos easily last more than 3 years, and are not obsolete afterwards, I have a couple of Tivo HDs older than that and there's nothing wrong with them as Cablecard DVRs.

The Moxi still works, but it was obsoleted by its new masters.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From my personal experience, been with TWC for TV for 16 mos., TWCs equipment overall sucks. Why would their DVRs be an exception? If I didn't have a TiVo HD to use as a DVR, I don't think I would still be using their TV service.
Quote:

Will a New Tivo with a cable card be a usable replacement for my Dish DVR.

Either pick up a Premiere or TiVo 4, since you're doing cable and might find the 4 tuners handy, and use it for 30 days. If you're not happy then return it. Or pick up a gently used TiVo HD or S4 with Lifetime and give that a whirl. You can recoup your investment reselling it if you're not satisfied.

It's impossible to say if you'll find TiVo a "usable replacement" since: a) I'm not you and b) my first DVR was a TiVo so I'm familiar with it. Unlike some though I have found that I'm comfortable with other DVR platforms, excluding the Cable Co. DVRs. Given that DISH was found in court to have stolen TiVos technology, you should find TiVo sufficient.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have tried both Tivo and Navigator (TWC's DVR software). Tivo is awesome and Navigator is subpar. I used to have Dish 722 DVRs about 2.5 years ago now as well. IMHO, the Tivo interface is as good as Dish but different in a number of ways. That said, Tivo on TWC can be frustrating at times. The whole SDV (switched digital video) and TA (Tuning Adapter) hack can be buggy. I decided to return my Tivos before my 30 days ran out due to Tuning Adapter problems. I have since moved, and I am considering trying Tivo again. Recent Navigator issues have included:

Half Resolution video (intermittent)
Frequent Crashes (requires power-cycle)
Truncated Recordings
Loss of recording capacity due to software bugs
FF and RW not responsive

In short, I recommend trying the Tivo. My local BestBuy has the 45 hour version for $79.99. Yours might too.

-Ted

PS - I didn't mention all the things you might miss coming from Dish to TWC Navigator, like folders, 30 second skip, decent search, and a guide that shows more than 90 minutes.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^^^

Um, my TiVo Premier XL's have 30-second skip forward, 8-second skip back. I have no issues with the TiVo search.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #12 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I think he was referring to TWC's crappy DVR, compared to Dish. I have to agree that having to run TA's on TWC for Tivo does suck, because the TA firmware and/or interoperation with Tivos has been a sore point for many users.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^^
Um, my TiVo Premier XL's have 30-second skip forward, 8-second skip back. I have no issues with the TiVo search.

Yeah, I meant compared to Navigator. I'll edit my post.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

Yeah, uh, no. No you can't. No US cableco would touch it with a 10 foot pole, even if they had Moto infrastructure.

Yes, yes you can. You just need to buy the new Moto DVR's w/ cablecard. It's no different than a Tvi/Moxi, or Ceton tuner. Stick the cablecard in an activate it.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

No, they're not CableLabs Certified devices. They're not "just like" a Moxi or TiVo - they net boot from the cableco's headend infrastructure, and have to be registered with their headend to operate. US cablecos will not touch it. There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of threads suggesting this, or attempting this. It hasn't worked for them, and if some poor unfortunate follows this advice, they'll get a (likely stolen) doorstop.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

I have tried both Tivo and Navigator (TWC's DVR software). Tivo is awesome and Navigator is subpar. I used to have Dish 722 DVRs about 2.5 years ago now as well. IMHO, the Tivo interface is as good as Dish but different in a number of ways. That said, Tivo on TWC can be frustrating at times. The whole SDV (switched digital video) and TA (Tuning Adapter) hack can be buggy.

Didn't mean to gloss over the bolded part of ncted's post. I do occasionally have issues with the tuning adapter. I did add the CC Support number to my contacts.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, yes you can. You just need to buy the new Moto DVR's w/ cablecard. It's no different than a Tvi/Moxi, or Ceton tuner. Stick the cablecard in an activate it.
And where are these available to buy at retail, exactly? C'mon man, you know damn well that Moto doesn't sell to end-users.
post #18 of 20 Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

No cable co is going to "activate it" for you, that's the problem.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Moxi's are still being made -- but only for big cable MSO's; no more retail sales.

I have two Moxi's and really like them. It will be a shame when they finally fade away.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimcolgate View Post

Moxi's are still being made -- but only for big cable MSO's; no more retail sales.

I have two Moxi's and really like them. It will be a shame when they finally fade away.

Yes, Arris is still using the Moxi brand. But the Moxi CableCARD retail boxes were *wildly* different from the boxes they sell to MSOs. Don't go deluding yourself into thinking "they're practically the same, they could start making them again at ANY TIME!" - they can't, they aren't, they won't.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page