Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

After reading through the manual, (...) Other than the tuners frequency assignment, the only other negative is no digital (optical and/or coaxial) inputs

Both HDMI inputs pass through multichannel bistream so those who have HDMI compatible receiver should be all set even without coax and opt i/o.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
But those who don't...............?
It's the same problem with that VRX, though that is a output issue. My point is you can only feed it digital audio via HDMI. What if you have component to 'feed' it? The only audio would have to be analog stereo.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #33 of 59 Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

With this you should be able to fill your need for separate toslink/coax feed.

You may also need hdmi to dvi cable along with toslink or coax cable to connect your source.
post #34 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm...can you pull the program content off the HDD? That is the million dollar question that everyone wants to know...
post #35 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM

How do you get one??????????????
post #36 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

Hmmm...can you pull the program content off the HDD? That is the million dollar question that everyone wants to know...

Yes, you can pull files and store on external HDD. But you wont be able to watch it on your PC for example because TS files created with MagicTV for HD content are encrypted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunterx View Post

How do you get one??????????????

People import these from HK.
post #37 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM

So, who imports them?
post #38 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yourself.
post #39 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM

That is a real good answer.... since we are discussing Unicorns what is the use...
post #40 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

It is precise answer. This is how we got it. Not sure what else you expect me to say.

No need to be rude.
post #41 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM

I wasn't being rude, just stating a fact ... If we cannot get it here then why talk about it it makes no sense... I just wanted to know where to get one and I am an American not foreign... so not an insult just fact... I figured someone knew how to get it but sorry for the assumption.
post #42 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Why would the files be encrypted? I'm wondering if PVRExplorer could read the files as it does with some Bell/Dish receivers. The files are not encrypted and can be viewed or archived. The device is moot if you already have a PVR or the files cannot be saved from the hard drive. I thought that is the whole point of using such a recorder, that you are going to archive content. Otherwise, I already have a PVR I can't archive the programming from. Have you tried to recover the programs? What process did you use? What programs? Is there a Chinese user group for the device? I think there is one for the Australian/NZ model without the HDMI inputs. Means I have to do more reading...
post #43 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunterx View Post

I wasn't being rude, just stating a fact ... If we cannot get it here then why talk about it it makes no sense... I just wanted to know where to get one and I am an American not foreign... so not an insult just fact... I figured someone knew how to get it but sorry for the assumption.

Look on eBay for reliable worldwide merchant based in HK with long history and lots of positive feedback. Many selling tech goods ship these recorders.
post #44 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting that according to the Aussies, the earlier model MTV4000 can definitely have its programming pulled at least from free TV using a USB flash drive or hard drive (see post #131) and the content can be edited using Videoredo:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=95076&st=125

Also, there is a menu pull down that says transfer to USB HDD in this video:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iiTV3k4wgdc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiiTV3k4wgdc

I have to do more reading if the later models retained those features...

Mtv4000 spec clearly states content is transferable:

http://www.magictv.com/au/mtv4000pvr.html

It could be an undocumented feature as the devices seem to be aimed primarily for time shifting rather than archiving. Not mentioning something gets around the sticky problem of having a device that is legal in one country and illegal in another. Still trying to find info on Aussie users of the MTV7000 and what they are using the devices for...

According to this

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1813180

you cannot rip the HDMI recordings to a hard drive for processing. I'm assuming recordings done from component can be recorded like the Hauppage and MTV4000 though and then transferred to a PC. No inputs exist for component on the mini model though they do on the full size MTV7000 and no HDMI inputs on the MTV4000. So, we are back to square one at this point...
post #45 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why would the files be encrypted? I'm wondering if PVRExplorer could read the files as it does with some Bell/Dish receivers. The files are not encrypted and can be viewed or archived. The device is moot if you already have a PVR or the files cannot be saved from the hard drive. I thought that is the whole point of using such a recorder, that you are going to archive content. Otherwise, I already have a PVR I can't archive the programming from. Have you tried to recover the programs? What process did you use? What programs? Is there a Chinese user group for the device? I think there is one for the Australian/NZ model without the HDMI inputs. Means I have to do more reading...

Have been using this recorder for a while and most of your questions has been answered in this thread as well as on another here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353038/recorder-with-hdmi-inputs-yes-it-exists

All files from Mini can be archived on separate hard drive, thumb drive or whatever you can plug to built in USB port on the back of the recorder. You can also have external drive connected at all times and use it as additional storage for your recordings and playback. But I think your point of using recorder is to have freedom to playback HD recordings on any other device incuding PC. And here where your freedom ends because in order to playback archived HD recordings you have to use MINI the one you used for recording or another within same LAN network (MINI has full streaming capability). This does not apply to SD recordings where TS files created by Mini are not encrypted. You say you already have PVR, is it HD recorder capable of recording through HDMI? I also wonder what do you mean by asking about "recovering programs". There is nothing that needs to be recovered, you simply select previously recorder program from internal or external drive and play it back. The recorder also works as typical timeshifting device so I do not miss a second of favorite program if I get interrupted while watching.

There is a NZ forum for users of similar model MTV3700 ou might want to check.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=89464

There is also short website about someone hacking MTV3600 model:
http://2lostkiwis.com/wordpress/mtv3600/

Good luck.
post #46 of 59 Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

As I understand it, the 3700 and 4000 series have component input but no HDMI input. The 7000D HK model has HDMI input but the recordings in high definition cannot be copied to a PC. The Hauppage HDPVR 1212 has component inputs but no HDMI input. The Hauppage HDPVR 2 has HDMI but only for recording non encrypted sources like video games consoles. I don't think the content on satellite or cable is non encrypted content, through the HDMI though the box states that you can record from those sources. It may be using the component inputs again however. I don't know anyone with the newer unit, so I can't check at this time. Several satellite STBs can have their hard drives read by a PC but that's another story. The files in that case are non encrypted, both SD and HD. Unfortunately, the model I have isn't one of those. Recovering programs I meant to say copying from the internal hdd to the PC. You say it can only be done for SD programs though, so that sort of defeats one of the purposes many of us here have. We tend to be viewers AND archivists. The general public has been made into viewers only by the content providers and distributors (movie and TV producers, cable and satellite providers). Sad in away...
post #47 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

The MINI does everything that recorder suppose to do allowing you to record any HD program, store it or archive it for later playback. It has unique capability to record through hdmi and it is standalone recorder. it records anything including programs that are refused to be recorded by tivo. Some users are just dissapointed cause it does not allow to copy or rip HD recording to share with others outside your household. Well, if that is your objective than you have to look further. If not, then MINI does all you should expect from typical subscription free high definition recorder. These are three words I can say about mini, convenience, convenience and I repeat again convenience.
post #48 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

We tend to be viewers AND archivists. The general public has been made into viewers only by the content providers and distributors (movie and TV producers, cable and satellite providers). Sad in away...
For archiving HDTV, you need to forget this box and consider either TiVo or a media-PC -- I use both and have have quite a bit of HDTV content collected ("archived") on my servers as standard .m2ts files. The simple fact is that DRM is tough to beat. If the broadcast is copy-protected you can record it to your primary DVR (TiVo or HTPC) but it generally goes no further. The only way I know of now to get it into DRM-free form is to send the video out of the component outputs, through a copy-protection removal box and into a Hauppauge 1212.

This may be harsh but IMHO this MagicTV box is pretty worthless in the US market. It is a DVR created for a different region of the planet. In the US it is not a DVR. It does not have a serviceable US tuner or guide. All you can do is spool recordings by first manually programming the MagicTV box to record a time slot then manually programming your STB to switch channels at the appropriate time (assuming it can do that) -- esdwa must have a strange definition of the word "convenience" that includes lots of manual labor and the joy of constant attention to your scheduling. Then there is the very basic issues of how to get one and the cost -- I believe esdwa told me in a PM it was ~$500; for that you get a "grey-market" box with no warranty and no avenue for repair and probably no recourse if you get ripped off. For that money you could buy a TiVo/lifetime or put together a HTPC with WMC and a cable card tuner -- no "subscriptions", US tuners, real DVR's. And in the case of a HTPC/WMC you can buy as many disks as you want to hang off it or on the network to do the same kind of archiving of protected content.

This thread was already pretty much dead. I think it is worth letting it die again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post

then MINI does all you should expect from typical subscription free high definition recorder. These are three words I can say about mini,
NOT . . EVEN . . CLOSE

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #49 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Blah blah blah...
NOT . . EVEN . . CLOSE

You assume that everyone who wants to put his hands on HD recording has to become PC gear maniac, meaning he or she will put together an HTPC with WMC, lease a cable card and use it just to record and archive hours of programming which becomes worthless if not shared among others. You admit the DRM is tough to beat meaning that you must be using 3rd party software to rip the recording to make them available for sharing. You bring up some Hauppage way of recording HD which by the way is not a standalone recorder but just external capture card which needs - again a PC to run. Any by the way. cheapest TiVo box cost $150 plus $500 where you pay for non-transferable lifetime service. And if you want to protect your equipment to ensure you will get covered with replacement when it craps out , you have to pay additional fee.

When I compare setting up timer recording with mini with simple one-click reminder on my cable box for the show I want to automatically tune at desired time with your HTPC which requires updates, booting time and periodical maintenance, I choose standalone recorder like mini. You turn it on like regular VCR, you can timeshift and pause live broadcast while you watching and you can record anything you want whenever you want. It's not a brainer, not even for a boy like you. So do not make hard for the others something that is not , especially when you did not even had a chance to use it. I guess your "special" AVS membership comes from your bitter and denying personality which by the way with the way you try to criticize the subject I find childish as much as amusing.
post #50 of 59 Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Cool it guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #51 of 59 Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Two things that do not exist in Canada

1) Tivo

2) Cable card

Back to square one for recording things I want to watch over again unless I want to get a whole house PVR from my satellite TV or cable provider. The new units allow recordings from multiple channels at the same time with playback on multiple devices or home units (up to 4 simultaneously). Not what I want though since I have to pay forever for this system. I can understand where you are coming from for simplification as you don't archive. That's fine though. There are lots of things that I recorded over the years that were never released on DVD/Blu Ray or ran once and were never repeated. In an instance like that, I'm glad I DID make the recordings long ago. But many of those recordings were on tape and are starting to deteriorate. I have to archive them before they are lost forever.
post #52 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Two things that do not exist in Canada
[...] There are lots of things that I recorded over the years that were never released on DVD/Blu Ray or ran once and were never repeated. In an instance like that, I'm glad I DID make the recordings long ago. But many of those recordings were on tape and are starting to deteriorate. I have to archive them before they are lost forever.

If these are recorded on tapes, look for standalone DVD recorders, these are still available in a price range of $100. Some people buy VHS/DVD combos for PC-free tape collection transfer to DVD. No need for HD recorder in such case. Good luck.
post #53 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I have been doing just that since 2003 when I bought a Panasonic E80H for $1200. My last acquisition was a Pioneer 650 in mint condition for $150. Been transferring to DVD/Mpeg 2 for a decade now. High def is reserved for PVR to HDD or disc transfers but other here have also been transferring tapes to h264 formats so I want to see how well that is working. Probably not any better than recording at the maximum Mpeg 2 bitrate, but you never know.
post #54 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post

...I do not care about tuner or epg. All I care is to use it as buffer like TiVo without paying premiums or monthly fees...

You've presented an interesting product although one not practical for most US viewers.

I downloaded a manual (for the MTV3700TD-NZ) from New Zealand. A significant problem (correct me if I'm wrong) is that, like a TiVo or Sony DHG used without a CableCARD, it is not possible to add titles to manual recordings. Doesn't this limitation make a confusing mess of what soon would become a long list of recordings?

Even if a version of Magic TV was made compliant with US HDCP laws and was legally sold in the US for around $500 its inability to add titles to manual recordings would be a deal killer for me. How do you deal with that limitation?
post #55 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

How do you deal with that limitation?

On MTV7000 each recording can be quickly renamed anytime during or after recording has been made. So having multiple hard drives used with long list of recording is not a problem. Not sure about 3700 model though.
post #56 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
OK; I downloaded the MTV7000D manual from Hong Kong. It's 46 pages long and I'm apparently ignorant; where is the entry about renaming manual recordings?

If a version of Magic TV was 'street legal' for the US I'd be interested.

I've got a couple of S3 TiVos with Lifetime service which are now close to useless because in order to use them with local Comcast Cable, Comcast would charge $9.85 monthly for each (an $8.75 Additional Outlet fee + $1.10 for a 2nd CC) which just isn't worth it!
post #57 of 59 Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

OK; I downloaded the MTV7000D manual from Hong Kong. It's 46 pages long and I'm apparently ignorant; where is the entry about renaming manual recordings?

Indeed this manual is missing "Rename programme" option which should be listed on page 54 among other available options listed in table on said page. I use this option all the time.

post #58 of 59 Old 01-31-2014, 04:00 AM

my basic need for this recording device is to record my laparoscopic procedures(i am a surgeon) which come from my scope unit as HDMI output. i don't think the output will be encrypted and the output is 720p. Can i record with MTV and edit it by transferring to my PC. Because the HDMI output will not be encrypted....

post #59 of 59 Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
For your needs the newer Hauppauge HDDVR should work perfectly - if the output from your scope is completely open. It will record to your pc or better yet an external usb drive, in one of 3 formats - all pc friendly.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page