Possible to record shows streamed to TV from internet via eg Roku? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to know if there are DVD recorders I can connect to the TV that will record whatever shows up on the TV screen. Not sure if I'm in the correct forum for this question since HD is not my concern but it's the closest I could find to address this issue. I want to get a Roku or Netgear type thing that will send internet content (eg Hulu) to the TV that I could then record onto a DVR so I can watch them later. I would appreciate an answer in very simple terms since I am severely technologically challenged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

The only way you could record directly from a TV is if it had both audio and video outputs. There really haven't been any TV's made in quite a few years now that have that (the most you might find is a headphone jack, for audio out). Maybe there are some around now, but I don't know of any myself. Maybe someone else here that sees this does (or you could ask around in the "display" forums here).

Otherwise, you'd have to record from the streaming box directly to the recorder - which can be done, though not legally, and they do apply copy-protection to their output.

But if you search the DVD Recorders forum here (all DVD recorders can only record in SD, and this forum here is strictly for HD recorders) under "video filters", you may come up with something that'll help you. wink.gif

post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks very much for the feedback - didn't know it would be illegal.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes. I've been using VCR for over 25 yrs in the past not knowing it is illegal as some think. Then I used some Sony HDD DVR I purchased in BestBuy. Per those voices it must have been also illegal.
wink.gif
Nowadays it seems like companies who has the only right to sell recording devices convinced lot of people that "recording video or music is illegal unless you use their box".

It is ridiculous that these rules became a laws is many people minds. It is absolute bs imho. It is just a monopoly that these companies create by trying to make it a law. But in real they are putting customers on the same position in terms of copyrights violation as everybody else. So whether you are using TiVo or any other recorder you migt be already illegaly copying copyrighted material wink.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 335
As esdwa pointed out, don't mistake what content providers don't want you to do with what is illegal to do. "Fair use" provisions allow you to make your own copies of content you have purchased for the personal use of you and your family, and many areas of digital content, such as saving copies of streamed content, currently have few legal precedents to determine how fair use applies to them.

For example, many free tools exist to allow users to save YouTube videos locally, some of which download them directly, while others capture the videos as they are streamed normally in a browser. One argument in favour of the legality of such practices is that once content passes into the realm of your home network, it is yours to log and save as you please. If content providers do not wish you to have that ability, it is their responsibility to employ encryption techniques to prevent the end user from saving the content. Since doing that is expensive and most people don't know how to save streamed content in the first place, most content providers consequently don't bother to employ those protections.

The fact that most people don't know how to save streamed content does not, however, make it illegal for those who do have the knowledge, as options such as the libpcap/WinPcap packet capturing software are freely available to anyone who wants to use them. Content providers who encrypt their content also don't infringe on people's right to log packets; the difference is that the logs aren't useful, because their contents are encrypted. It's a principle similar to using encryption on a home WiFi network. The airwaves used by WiFi are free for public access, so people are allowed to transmit, receive, and store data sent over such networks. Nearby people can always spy on your wireless network traffic, so it is your responsibility to encrypt it to make their spying useless.

If the content you're trying to save is encrypted, then you would have to delve into the realm of DVD recorders that Rammitinski suggested. While fair use provisions for such things have yet to be well defined, it is a safe bet that employing such a capturing technique would at least be a violation of the content provider's ToS and be grounds for them to terminate your service. Whether the provider's terms comply with fair use practices is another question. Few people have thus far challenged the legality of many Internet-based content providers' practices, and as a result they are trying to be as restrictive as possible to destroy fair use concepts in the hope that they can boost their profits by giving people the illusion that they must pay for the same content over and over.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncody71 View Post

Thanks very much for the feedback - didn't know it would be illegal.

Trust Rammitinski, he's steering you in the right direction.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page