TVGOS broadcasting ENDS!!! - beginning November 1, 2012 and be completed by April 2013 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Jack Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Please produce that promise of service. Please show a warranty for any device that supports TVGOS that says the manufacturer guarantees TVGOS service for some period of time let alone the life of the device. More than likely you will find a disclaimer that says it cannot be guaranteed and may not be available in all areas.

It all comes down to Caveat Emptor
Well, then that pretty much means that no device or purchased electronic is promised to do anything that it is advertised to do at any time. We've already seen that with component video, line doubling DVD players, anything purchased on anything with an i before its' name if you get that component stolen, and now anything with the TVGOS logo on the front of it.

Pretty much.... anything that a manufacturer promises has an asterisk next to it which says - MAYBE, and only for as long as we want to do it........ JUST ANOTHER SOLID REASON TO NEVER BE A EARLY BIG BUCKS ADOPTER...
Jack Morris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 51 Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
As was pointed out to you in another thread, you are late to the party. This has been picked over and vented about and ranted over ad nauseam in the past months. Most people have moved on to more productive discussions of how to make the best of the situation and use their equipment in a post-TVGOS world, or what new equipment is available to replace the functionality lost. If you want to continue to rant and bitch I'm sure you will find a couple others, who were also late to the party and haven't gotten it out of their system, willing to join in. Just keep it to a single thread and don't spread it around to other threads where people are now trying to be productive and deal with the aftermath.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #33 of 51 Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Jack Morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ERR no, I would never waste my time just bitching or typing as I am doing now.... I am always looking for something which might help us all out in the consumer end of this huge money making hollywood induced bank account.

Since you consistently want me to drop this... who do you work for or have worked for, BTW?

I guess I need to have my folks look back on your thousands of posts to see how they might trend even if you never admit to working for some industry adjunct or manufacturer.

Of course, if you do, now would be a good time to admit it and tell us why we still should just forgive and forget promises made by our electronics hardware and software manufacturers.

Thanks!
Jack Morris is offline  
post #34 of 51 Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

now would be a good time to admit it and tell us why we still should just forgive and forget promises made by our electronics hardware and software manufacturers.

It will allow you to move onto battles you can actually win while simultaneously helping you to lower your blood pressure.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #35 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

ERR no, I would never waste my time just bitching or typing as I am doing now.... I am always looking for something which might help us all out in the consumer end of this huge money making hollywood induced bank account.

Since you consistently want me to drop this... who do you work for or have worked for, BTW?

I guess I need to have my folks look back on your thousands of posts to see how they might trend even if you never admit to working for some industry adjunct or manufacturer.

Of course, if you do, now would be a good time to admit it and tell us why we still should just forgive and forget promises made by our electronics hardware and software manufacturers.

Thanks!
Kelson is not a industry insider and has nothing to do with any mfg., he's just a consumer like me who use to have a product that relied on analog TVGOS(you may not have been around long enough to go through that whole debacle but both Kelson and I and lots of others lost our TVGOS guides years ago, 2008 I believe). Some people tried to use a analog to digital TVGOS converter and limp by that way but most(like Kelson and I) just gave up on TVGOS at that point and resorted to manual events. Not long after many of us ditched our DVDRs all together for timeshifting and moved to Tivo where we have been ever since, quite happy I might add.
I've been using digital TVGOS since shortly after analog died but only for my Sony TV and only the 24hr version, which like all broadcast TVGOS will die within the next few months. Sure it sucks, it was nice while it lasted but like with analog I'll get by without it. Like Kelson said if you want to try and pursue it go ahead but good luck, your going to need it smile.gif
jjeff is online now  
post #36 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not true. My two Toshiba RD-XS34 TVGOS DVRs must have their clock set by TVGOS or they are a door stop. In 24 hours they will be door stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

CC58 is offline  
post #37 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We should mail all these dead TVGOS DVRs to somebody in a position of power or media, but who?
Anderson Cooper?
President of Rovi?
CC58 is offline  
post #38 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Morris View Post

Since you consistently want me to drop this... who do you work for or have worked for, BTW?

I guess I need to have my folks look back on your thousands of posts to see how they might trend even if you never admit to working for some industry adjunct or manufacturer.
If you are going to resort to silly personal attack posts like this as your first line of defense when someone suggests you not waste the boards time by repeating what has already been said numerous times over the past months, you will not build any credibility on this site in the near future.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #39 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post

Not true. My two Toshiba RD-XS34 TVGOS DVRs must have their clock set by TVGOS or they are a door stop. In 24 hours they will be door stops.
That's not true -- you won't have a doorstop. That circa 2005 SD DVD Recorder never had a digital tuner so you must be getting somebody's legacy analog TVGOS on cable. Anyway, the clock can be set manually, although not easily -- they made it unnecessarily difficult. Go over to the DVD Recorder forum where the old Toshiba guys hang out and somebody will tell you how to do it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #40 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post

We should mail all these dead TVGOS DVRs to somebody in a position of power or media, but who?
Anderson Cooper?
President of Rovi?
I guess you could do something futile like that. But in your case, if you have a functioning Toshiba RD-XS34 in good condition that you don't want anymore, there are people on eBay who will pay you hundreds of dollars for that unit.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #41 of 51 Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

. . . both Kelson and I and lots of others lost our TVGOS guides years ago, 2008 I believe.
For us, it was June 2009 when they pulled the plug on OTA analog. Cable kept transmitting analog TVGOS for a while -- still does in some places. You and I tried to adapt our old equipment to those CECB's, but the adaptations just proved too arduous and we moved on to newer equipment.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #42 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That's not true -- you won't have a doorstop. That circa 2005 SD DVD Recorder never had a digital tuner so you must be getting somebody's legacy analog TVGOS on cable. Anyway, the clock can be set manually, although not easily -- they made it unnecessarily difficult. Go over to the DVD Recorder forum where the old Toshiba guys hang out and somebody will tell you how to do it.

I used a DTVPal converter to get TVGOS for last several years. The DTV Pal Plus is set to TVGOS mode. The RD-XS34 is configured to use the DTV Pal Plus as a cable box operated through the IR blaster. Configured as such, the RD-XS34 was using the DTV Pal as an external tuner.

The RD-XS34 has a grayed out box to set time, so can't be set. There was a firmware upgrade to make it settable, but only version online is in canada and it appears corrupt as it will not install on any unit. Once upon a time Toshiba would send you this disk on request, but that was 7 years ago.

I'll look again at forum you state, but been there, done that.
CC58 is offline  
post #43 of 51 Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post

I'll look again at forum you state, but been there, done that.
Start a thread in there with your specific request. Make the title as specific as you can to get the right people to take notice. People often save firmware downloads.

Something like: "Help with Toshiba RD-XS34 manual timeset".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #44 of 51 Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CC58 is offline  
post #45 of 51 Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Member
 
goddi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,
After a few weeks of not getting my TVGOS updated, except for a few hours of the current day, I found this thread about TVGOS ending. I sent an email to the ROVI just to see if there was any hope of it being brought back in any form. Here is the reply:
---
Dear Gary,
Yes the termination of this service is permanent. There is nothing that can be done to revive the service.
Sincerely,
CE Technical Support
Rovi

---
So, now that we can not get our TVGOS, what is available out there that will come close to replacing the functionality of the DVRPal? I looks like we will only have the Tivo Premiere ($149). But it will come with the monthy $14.99/month fee to get their TV scheduling. Is this what it has come to? Any other choices?
Gary
goddi1 is offline  
post #46 of 51 Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

TiVo Premiere with lifetime fee included ($600-$500), used HD TiVo w/lifetime fee, Channel Master CM-7400 with reasonably low yearly fee for reliable guide data, HTPC with Windows Media Center.

Rammitinski is offline  
post #47 of 51 Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddi1 View Post

Greetings,
After a few weeks of not getting my TVGOS updated, except for a few hours of the current day, I found this thread about TVGOS ending. I sent an email to the ROVI just to see if there was any hope of it being brought back in any form. Here is the reply:
---
Dear Gary,
Yes the termination of this service is permanent. There is nothing that can be done to revive the service.
Sincerely,
CE Technical Support
Rovi

---
So, now that we can not get our TVGOS, what is available out there that will come close to replacing the functionality of the DVRPal? I looks like we will only have the Tivo Premiere ($149). But it will come with the monthy $14.99/month fee to get their TV scheduling. Is this what it has come to? Any other choices?
Gary

Cheapest way is to get a Win7 laptop with 300gig drive and run Windows Media Center DVR program (comes free from microsoft with Win7).
Then you need a receiver and internet connection to get guide. Below bits for receiver are only $90.
(if you go with HDhomerun you need a better outdoor antenna /w preamp)


HAUPPAUGE 950Q for $52 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAUPPAUGE-WINTV-HVR-950-Q-HYBRID-TV-STICK-/140938912517?pt=US_Video_Capture_TV_Tuner_Cards&hash=item20d09d2305

The 950Q would be good if you used a 3' extension cable as stress relief for antenna cable $3 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosewill-RCAB-11030-3-ft-USB3-0-A-Male-to-A-Female-Extension-Cable-Gold-P-/290879278507?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item43b9c18dab

QuantumFX ANT-102 is the best powered rabbit ear antenna $35 free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-FX-ANT-102U-Digital-TV-HDTV-Ready-Antena-w-Signal-Booster-Silver-/140916422840?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item20cf45f8b8
CC58 is offline  
post #48 of 51 Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post

QuantumFX ANT-102 is the best powered rabbit ear antenna $35 free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-FX-ANT-102U-Digital-TV-HDTV-Ready-Antena-w-Signal-Booster-Silver-/140916422840?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item20cf45f8b8

 

Assuming he needs a powered antenna. If not, it could actually do more harm than good.

 

I'm curious to know if there are any comparison tests that show model to be "the best rabbit ear antenna", or if you've at least done any yourself, and against what other models.

Rammitinski is offline  
post #49 of 51 Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CC58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Assuming he needs a powered antenna. If not, it could actually do more harm than good.

I'm curious to know if there are any comparison tests that model to be "the best rabbit ear antenna", or if you've at least done any yourself, and against what other models.

Good reference for indoor antennas.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1037779/evs-recommended-top-rated-dtv-indoor-uhf-vhf-set-top-antenna-review-round-up-guide
CC58 is offline  
post #50 of 51 Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
fallingwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham WA
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Pipedream

Not much in aesthetics but a real performer now gone forever unless perhaps someone who doesn't know much about antennas drops one off at a neighborhood Goodwill.

The Reality Check

Don't really know about this one but it might be the best antenna currently available for indoor use. The price is right but it needs feet or at least a convenient stand.
fallingwater is offline  
post #51 of 51 Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Willie G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post

Not true. My two Toshiba RD-XS34 TVGOS DVRs must have their clock set by TVGOS or they are a door stop. In 24 hours they will be door stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Start a thread in there with your specific request. Make the title as specific as you can to get the right people to take notice. People often save firmware downloads.

Something like: "Help with Toshiba RD-XS34 manual timeset".

You don't need to have TVGOS update the XS34. I did once and it messed it all up. Since then I have always manually set the clock. Just go to intial settings in setup and choose Guide and Clock reset. Now if you've lost the remote this would be impossible to do.

-Willie
Willie G. is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off