DTVPal DVR malfunctions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK guys need some feedback here. Have two DTVPal DVR's that have worked flawlessly for 2 & 1/2 years. One was bought "new" from KMart, the other a refurb from Sears.
While watching recorded programs on Pal #1, it keeps showing an error message concerning "Software Update Failed - IP Connection Lost".

This machine has never been connected to the Internet via the Ethernet port. It has the F208 software. This message appears EVERY time I'm watching a recorded show. If I don't hit the "OK" button, it will shut down and reboot.

DTVPal #2, recently started randomly freezing, and not respond to any remote commands.
First time it happened, I just unplugged it. Second time it happened, it was on the
Program Guide screen. It's just PSIP data, there's no TVGuide Icon in the listings.
Froze after scrolling through the listings. Also wouldn't respond to remote commands.
Third time, I just left it on, eventually the PSIP screen went off, and returned to normal operation. BTW, my OTA signal is weak.... in the middle to low 60's.

What's causing the lock-up in #2 ? Low signal level, lack of TVGuide, or an impending
problem with the internal electronics, or the hard drive ?. When it first happened, I formatted
the hard drive and let the machine reboot itself.

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 161
There is a dedicated thread for this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

sorry..... did I post this in the wrong place ?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Right sub-forum, thread should be on the first page. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Turn off software updates. That is set on as default. Turn it off and screen will not come back. No need to look for an update that will never come.

2) try a factory default and then turn off software updates

TVguide does not come back right away. Plus it is downloaded by your box at different times during the day. Depending when you reset. It can take 1 to 7 hours to come back.

But did you know Rovi is discontinuing Tvguide (Tvgos) The time will be from now to April. It will be gone for good. Budget cuts.

PS Please do not forget to make a comment on Rovi's facebook page about Rovi discontinuing TVGOS. There are more and more people leaving messages. We need more. Please do your part and help. It will take just a few minutes of your time and the cost is FREE

http://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Turn off software updates. That is set on as default. Turn it off and screen will not come back. No need to look for an update that will never come.
2) try a factory default and then turn off software updates
TVguide does not come back right away. Plus it is downloaded by your box at different times during the day. Depending when you reset. It can take 1 to 7 hours to come back.
But did you know Rovi is discontinuing Tvguide (Tvgos) The time will be from now to April. It will be gone for good. Budget cuts.
PS Please do not forget to make a comment on Rovi's facebook page about Rovi discontinuing TVGOS. There are more and more people leaving messages. We need more. Please do your part and help. It will take just a few minutes of your time and the cost is FREE
http://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp

Thanks for the tips. Will try this and see what happens.
Been reading about the discontinuance of Rovi's TV Guide, one of my DTVPal DVR's has it, the other only gets PSIP listings.
At least the DTVPals can function without TV Guide, but my Sony DHG will be in serious trouble !
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

Thanks for the tips. Will try this and see what happens.
Been reading about the discontinuance of Rovi's TV Guide, one of my DTVPal DVR's has it, the other only gets PSIP listings.
At least the DTVPals can function without TV Guide, but my Sony DHG will be in serious trouble !

I heard about sony. Dam shame. I know someone who just got a used tivo with unlimited guide. Since the Dtvpal does not work well with only 12 hours worth of guide. Of course you can do manual recordings. So the pal is not dead like the Sony,but it severely hurts it function.

For further DTVpal help go to the excising thread. Many kind people there to help you

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/15180
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

I heard about sony. Dam shame. I know someone who just got a used tivo with unlimited guide. Since the Dtvpal does not work well with only 12 hours worth of guide. Of course you can do manual recordings. So the pal is not dead like the Sony,but it severely hurts it function.
For further DTVpal help go to the excising thread. Many kind people there to help you
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/15180

just happened to post in the wrong place.... old age I guess smile.gif
am aware of the regular DTVPal DVR forum
also posted on Rovi's Facebook page as requested
the Sony clock and timers depend on TVGuide, so, no clock, no recordings
post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM

My DTVPal DVR had also been freezing up frequently (not responsive to remote's requests). It started to happen roughly in October 2012, and I have always been connected to the internet since January 2009 so it has the latest software. I suspected that the latest software was the root cause.

The software version is F208TALD-N

The remote has great control over the TV. Frequently the DTVPal DVR became responsive to the remote after I turn off the Sony Bravia and turn it back on. I have disconnected the power to the DTVPalDVR and occasionally got that to help also.
I would love to be able to load the original software/factory default just to see
if that makes a difference, but I have not yet learned how to do it. Today I hit the factory default button and disconnected the internet. The software version is still the same, and I did not notice any freezeups during the next three hours even though I gave it several
hundred chances. Eight hours later it went back to freezing up.

Boot strap is 1011TALD
Three weeks ago I removed the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV HDMI 4 input. Now only have Component 1 input to tV from the DVR. The problem has not returned for three weeks so far. More info at:
http://sankaty.homestead.com/DVR.html
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page