DTVPal DVR malfunctions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK guys need some feedback here. Have two DTVPal DVR's that have worked flawlessly for 2 & 1/2 years. One was bought "new" from KMart, the other a refurb from Sears.
While watching recorded programs on Pal #1, it keeps showing an error message concerning "Software Update Failed - IP Connection Lost".

This machine has never been connected to the Internet via the Ethernet port. It has the F208 software. This message appears EVERY time I'm watching a recorded show. If I don't hit the "OK" button, it will shut down and reboot.

DTVPal #2, recently started randomly freezing, and not respond to any remote commands.
First time it happened, I just unplugged it. Second time it happened, it was on the
Program Guide screen. It's just PSIP data, there's no TVGuide Icon in the listings.
Froze after scrolling through the listings. Also wouldn't respond to remote commands.
Third time, I just left it on, eventually the PSIP screen went off, and returned to normal operation. BTW, my OTA signal is weak.... in the middle to low 60's.

What's causing the lock-up in #2 ? Low signal level, lack of TVGuide, or an impending
problem with the internal electronics, or the hard drive ?. When it first happened, I formatted
the hard drive and let the machine reboot itself.

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 203
There is a dedicated thread for this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

sorry..... did I post this in the wrong place ?
post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Right sub-forum, thread should be on the first page. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Turn off software updates. That is set on as default. Turn it off and screen will not come back. No need to look for an update that will never come.

2) try a factory default and then turn off software updates

TVguide does not come back right away. Plus it is downloaded by your box at different times during the day. Depending when you reset. It can take 1 to 7 hours to come back.

But did you know Rovi is discontinuing Tvguide (Tvgos) The time will be from now to April. It will be gone for good. Budget cuts.

PS Please do not forget to make a comment on Rovi's facebook page about Rovi discontinuing TVGOS. There are more and more people leaving messages. We need more. Please do your part and help. It will take just a few minutes of your time and the cost is FREE

http://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp
post #6 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

Turn off software updates. That is set on as default. Turn it off and screen will not come back. No need to look for an update that will never come.
2) try a factory default and then turn off software updates
TVguide does not come back right away. Plus it is downloaded by your box at different times during the day. Depending when you reset. It can take 1 to 7 hours to come back.
But did you know Rovi is discontinuing Tvguide (Tvgos) The time will be from now to April. It will be gone for good. Budget cuts.
PS Please do not forget to make a comment on Rovi's facebook page about Rovi discontinuing TVGOS. There are more and more people leaving messages. We need more. Please do your part and help. It will take just a few minutes of your time and the cost is FREE
http://www.facebook.com/RoviCorp

Thanks for the tips. Will try this and see what happens.
Been reading about the discontinuance of Rovi's TV Guide, one of my DTVPal DVR's has it, the other only gets PSIP listings.
At least the DTVPals can function without TV Guide, but my Sony DHG will be in serious trouble !
post #7 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecass View Post

Thanks for the tips. Will try this and see what happens.
Been reading about the discontinuance of Rovi's TV Guide, one of my DTVPal DVR's has it, the other only gets PSIP listings.
At least the DTVPals can function without TV Guide, but my Sony DHG will be in serious trouble !

I heard about sony. Dam shame. I know someone who just got a used tivo with unlimited guide. Since the Dtvpal does not work well with only 12 hours worth of guide. Of course you can do manual recordings. So the pal is not dead like the Sony,but it severely hurts it function.

For further DTVpal help go to the excising thread. Many kind people there to help you

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/15180
post #8 of 13 Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

I heard about sony. Dam shame. I know someone who just got a used tivo with unlimited guide. Since the Dtvpal does not work well with only 12 hours worth of guide. Of course you can do manual recordings. So the pal is not dead like the Sony,but it severely hurts it function.
For further DTVpal help go to the excising thread. Many kind people there to help you
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/15180

just happened to post in the wrong place.... old age I guess smile.gif
am aware of the regular DTVPal DVR forum
also posted on Rovi's Facebook page as requested
the Sony clock and timers depend on TVGuide, so, no clock, no recordings
post #9 of 13 Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
My DTVPal DVR had also been freezing up frequently (not responsive to remote's requests). It started to happen roughly in October 2012, and I have always been connected to the internet since January 2009 so it has the latest software. I suspected that the latest software was the root cause.

The software version is F208TALD-N

The remote has great control over the TV. Frequently the DTVPal DVR became responsive to the remote after I turn off the Sony Bravia and turn it back on. I have disconnected the power to the DTVPalDVR and occasionally got that to help also.
I would love to be able to load the original software/factory default just to see
if that makes a difference, but I have not yet learned how to do it. Today I hit the factory default button and disconnected the internet. The software version is still the same, and I did not notice any freezeups during the next three hours even though I gave it several
hundred chances. Eight hours later it went back to freezing up.

Boot strap is 1011TALD
Three weeks ago I removed the HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV HDMI 4 input. Now only have Component 1 input to tV from the DVR. The problem has not returned for three weeks so far. More info at:
http://sankaty.homestead.com/DVR.html
post #10 of 13 Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is the official word on this? I too have a DTV DVR pal that I absolutely love(d)
until it suddenly started freezing and requiring a reboot. Connecting to net shows no
new updates. Firmware version is currently 208TALD-N, bootstrap version 1011TALD

Is there a site where the firmwares exist? Can I downgrade the firmware to an earlier
one from this site? If so, how?

Thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stern View Post
What is the official word on this? I too have a DTV DVR pal that I absolutely love(d)
until it suddenly started freezing and requiring a reboot. Connecting to net shows no
new updates. Firmware version is currently 208TALD-N, bootstrap version 1011TALD

Is there a site where the firmwares exist? Can I downgrade the firmware to an earlier
one from this site? If so, how?

Thanks

All the info regarding the DTV PAL DVR can be found here:
The Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!

Not sure if downgrading to an older firmware is possible, or even if the current F208 is still available on line. Best to ask questions in the DTV PAL forum. There were no updates beyond what you already have, chances are your problems may be caused by some type of hardware or system failure.
Go into the System by pressing "Sys Info" on the remote, check the diagnostic screen for hard drive error counts. On working units it usually shows "O". Try formatting the hard drive (which will delete all your recordings and timers, and reboot the system)
Over the years I've noticed many factors that can cause the DTV PAL to malfunction.... one of them being a low OTA signal, another is having too many recordings on the hard drive at once. After years of useage, the hard drive can accumulate errors just like on any computer hard drive. With computer drives, defragmentation is recommended periodically, but the DTV PAL software has no such options.... that's why every so often I delete all recordings and reformat the PAL hard drive.
If the freezing on your unit is not due to mechanical error, then there may be other factors present, such as bulging capacitors on the motherboard or power supply, or corruption of the unit's firmware.
All these subjects have been broached numerous times on the regular PAL forum.
Being somewhat of a computer-literate person, I always suspect possible bad sectors on hard drives that have been running for many years..... that's where I start troubleshooting. It's not that difficult to replace the hard drive on the PAL, nor is it that difficult to remove it and check for errors if you have the time and patience. Finally, sometimes plain old "overheating" can cause freezing and lock-ups. Make sure yours is well ventilated, and dust & dirt free on the inside of the case. The system fan can get very dirty and affect performance. I keep a common box fan blowing on the area where my numerous DVRs are situated year round, and disconnect my two DTV PALs every summer for three months.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info. As it turns out I did crack open the box and just happened
to have a similarly sized SAS drive which I popped in. So since the problem is
still with me, I plan to run it for a while opened and with a room-fan directed
at the guts.

In case this fails, what is my "option C"? I've occasionally come across a DVRpal
or Channel Master 7000pal on sale on ebay but no idea what I'm getting for that
kind of money (clearly, they're old) So what do people do these days if they want
to time-shift?

I did buy a magnavox mdr535h. It's terrible! plan to return it. Has one tuner, doesn't
work well with other inputs, doesn't skip forward as easily as dvrpal, has no guide,
and is incredibly clunky to use. Heck, even my $30 digital antenna converter shows
what the next program on will be. That's not a full blown guide but it's a start.

The only other reasonable thing I can find is a Tablo 2-Tuner DVR. I can add an
external USB HDD and presumably then play things back on a laptop. But that's
not quite what I want.

What is the rest of the population doing if
they don't have cable
don't wanna pay a monthly Tivo fee
want to be able to record up to 2 things on a "converted" analog TV.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2015, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stern View Post
Thanks for the info. As it turns out I did crack open the box and just happened
to have a similarly sized SAS drive which I popped in. So since the problem is
still with me, I plan to run it for a while opened and with a room-fan directed
at the guts.

In case this fails, what is my "option C"? I've occasionally come across a DVRpal
or Channel Master 7000pal on sale on ebay but no idea what I'm getting for that
kind of money (clearly, they're old) So what do people do these days if they want
to time-shift?

I did buy a magnavox mdr535h. It's terrible! plan to return it. Has one tuner, doesn't
work well with other inputs, doesn't skip forward as easily as dvrpal, has no guide,
and is incredibly clunky to use. Heck, even my $30 digital antenna converter shows
what the next program on will be. That's not a full blown guide but it's a start.

The only other reasonable thing I can find is a Tablo 2-Tuner DVR. I can add an
external USB HDD and presumably then play things back on a laptop. But that's
not quite what I want.
What is the rest of the population doing if
they don't have cable
don't wanna pay a monthly Tivo fee
want to be able to record up to 2 things on a "converted" analog TV.

In the USA, there really aren't many options left except to try and keep whatever you use working....
Both Philips and Magnavox make OTA hard drive recorders, single tuners with different hard drive sizes. From what I read, they are pretty much like a digital VCR. No program guide just like your Magnavox.
Other people here use HTPCs (Home Theatre Personal Computers) that they build themselves, buy multiple tuners, and use Windows Media Center for recording onto a computer.
Others have bought the latest Channel Master offering, the DVR+. It doesn't come with it's own storage, you'd have to buy an external USB hard drive to record a decent amount of programming. (to me, it's too much money)

As far as Ebay goes, the DTV PAL was introduced around 2009, buying a used one is a very risky proposition.
After Dish Network abandoned the PAL, Channel Master came out with their own version called the CM-7000. It's essentially an exact reproduction of the PAL but with different branding. That unit was short-lived and and seems more trouble-prone than the original PAL was, based on posts I've read in these forums.
Then Channel Master introduced the CM-7400, a complete redesign in a smaller case using a laptop hard drive.
Most early adopters panned this recorder for its numerous problems, which included overheating and freezing.

From what I've read, a lot of TV enthusiasts have gone the Tivo route, plunked down cold cash for these units and pay the monthly fee. Even Tivo now markets an OTA-only DVR, but you still have to pay the fee. There are other single-tuner black boxes available that are mainly digital tuners with USB ports for external recording, and they are pretty cheap.

On AVS Forum, there are two resident "experts", Video Bruce is the one who maintains a list of all current and past digital recorders. For the DTV PAL, P.Smith is a technician who is able to fix broken DVRs.
For more reading I would suggest going to the main forum, "AVS Forum> HDTV>HDTV Recorders"
Many readers have posted the same "what do I do now?" question numerous times.

I maintain my own personal arsenal of digital recorders.... two DTV PAL DVRs, two Channel Master CM7400s
two Sony DHG HDD250/500s, an 11yr old LG LST-3410A, and a bunch of DVD recorders I bought over the years
on Ebay. I'm of the opinion that, if you use something every day, eventually it will break down. So my method is to vary what I use to record TV shows, including downloading them from the Internet. I've been paying for basic cable since the 1990's, but don't have a cable company DVR, because I refuse to pay the monthly fee. Maybe it's illogical, but it works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders