Can I record TV (digital cable) without a DVR monthly subscription or HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my Sony HDTV connected directly to Comcast basic cable. I've been using a DVD recorder to record shows manually. Now that Comcast has switched to digital, my channels have become decimals like 7.1, 7.2, etc so my DVD recorder can't select the right channel anymore (it only does whole numbers).

I hooked up the free Comcast provided digital adapter to the DVD recorder only and now it can see all the channels controlled by the Comcast remote as channel 3. This means I can record channel 3 and whatever the real channel it happens to be set to, but if I want to record multiple channels, I can't do it without manually changing the channel since all the recorder knows is channel 3.

Is there a way I can record shows without paying a monthly subscription for a DVR? I know I can build an HTPC with a TV tuner and run media center software but if there's a box or something easier I could do that would be preferred. I would just get a cable box, but the limited basic cable plan I have has all the channels I need in HD for $14.50/month while the cheapest plan with a cable box is $68.49/month.

Would this work with my DVD recorder? http://www.ebay.com/itm/170946218729?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Or this to record directly? http://epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 297
There are dedicated threads for the various DVRs that don't require subscriptions, which include:

PHD-VRX
CM-7400
TViX M6220N

The DTV Pal / CM-7000 Pal are also options, but they have been out of production for a while and may be more difficult to find.

Be aware that Comcast is planning to stop offering unencrypted cable nationwide in the next year or so. When that happens, you'll probably be forced to upgrade to the more expensive service plan, and all of these DVRs will be come useless with Comcast. If you can use an antenna in your area, you could still use these DVRs for OTA TV and cancel your cable service completely.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

There are dedicated threads for the various DVRs that don't require subscriptions, which include:
PHD-VRX
CM-7400
TViX M6220N
The DTV Pal / CM-7000 Pal are also options, but they have been out of production for a while and may be more difficult to find.
Be aware that Comcast is planning to stop offering unencrypted cable nationwide in the next year or so. When that happens, you'll probably be forced to upgrade to the more expensive service plan, and all of these DVRs will be come useless with Comcast. If you can use an antenna in your area, you could still use these DVRs for OTA TV and cancel your cable service completely.

Thanks for the info. We live pretty far from the OTA transmitters so we really can't get any of those channels within reasonable means. I'll keep looking at the options, thanks.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page