Screwed by Charter - From 200+ hours HD recording to 20 hours - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in West Michigan.

My Charter MOXI that I had for over 4 years just died. I think it was a bad power supply. With the external hard drive, I got over 200 hours of HD recording.

It was replaced with a Motorola DCH3416.

The external hard drive I have is a 1 TB Lacie with USB, Firewire, and eSATA. Using any of those on the DCH3416, I get a message saying the drive is disabled and I should contact my cable company. I tried contacting Charter and was told that the external hard drive support is turned off, and there is nothing they will do for me. I was then promptly hung up on.

This box only supports ~20 hours of HD recording.

To say I feel like I have been screwed is an understatement.

Is there any way or any hidden setting to turn on support for the drive?

Is there someone special at Charter that I can contact beyond the first tier techs?

Are there any legal options? I'm being billed the same amount.

Are there any satellite or phone line alternatives that offer better support and performance than charter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post

I am in West Michigan.
My Charter MOXI that I had for over 4 years just died. I think it was a bad power supply. With the external hard drive, I got over 200 hours of HD recording.
It was replaced with a Motorola DCH3416.
The external hard drive I have is a 1 TB Lacie with USB, Firewire, and eSATA. Using any of those on the DCH3416, I get a message saying the drive is disabled and I should contact my cable company. I tried contacting Charter and was told that the external hard drive support is turned off, and there is nothing they will do for me. I was then promptly hung up on.
This box only supports ~20 hours of HD recording.
To say I feel like I have been screwed is an understatement.
Is there any way or any hidden setting to turn on support for the drive?
Is there someone special at Charter that I can contact beyond the first tier techs?
Are there any legal options? I'm being billed the same amount.
Are there any satellite or phone line alternatives that offer better support and performance than charter?

Both Dish Network and DirectTV have far better equipment compared to anything Motorola makes. I would go with either one of them. Or stay with Charter and buy a Tivo with a cable card or maybe a HTPC (Home Theater PC). Once again, far better equipment than what you currently have. If you get a Tivo, buy the lifetime sub.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page