DCT6416 Error EP01 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > DCT6416 Error EP01

HDTV Recorders

ST604's Avatar ST604
12:02 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
12-30-2012 | Posts: 2
I bought a used DVR and cannot get it activated. Seller confimed with cable network that it would be able to connect before selling it and is trust worthy (as far as I could get a sense of). I have done a reset, but under 'General Status' I get EP01 Disconnected DES

I cannot find any informatin about what this means or how to fix it. Is it a problem with the box or the connection? So far cable service has been unable to help, a tech is coming out in a few days to check wiring, but I would like to be able to get it activated before that and I'm pretty sure this is the reason the activation is not coming through.
Arvy's Avatar Arvy
10:02 PM Liked: 42
post #2 of 4
12-30-2012 | Posts: 587
The DCT6416 is a Motorola cable box. If I'm not mistaken, they are sold only by the manufaturer only to cable companies only to be rented to end users. There are several reasons for it, mostly cost effective. The chance of Comcast, Insight, Cox, TWC, etc. authorizing use on their systems is virtually nil in the USA. Check with the tech, but I'm pretty sure of it. Good luck with the seller.
ST604's Avatar ST604
11:18 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 4
01-01-2013 | Posts: 2
Maybe I was not clear, I am not trying to use it on a different system. Anyway, sounds like you don't know what the error means...anyone else have experience?
demonfoo's Avatar demonfoo
04:18 PM Liked: 22
post #4 of 4
01-02-2013 | Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST604 View Post

Maybe I was not clear, I am not trying to use it on a different system. Anyway, sounds like you don't know what the error means...anyone else have experience?

If you didn't get it from your cable operator, it's not registered with your local headend. It doesn't matter if it was from someone with the same provider in another city. And even if they *were* in your city, when the previous customer (not owner, because the cable companies in the US don't sell them) did not return it, it was almost certainly deactivated.

For what it's worth, Google indicates the "EP01" error means "Not Connected". So either it's physically damaged/defective, or it's complaining because it can't connect to any headend infrastructure. Either way, you're not going to be able to use a box you acquired off eBay or elsewhere. On that count, Arvy is 100% correct.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread