Philips 3576 HDD DVDR w/SHARP HD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve had 2 of these recorders for 4-5 years and wonder how I ever lived without its features, especially 4-way dubbing. One is connected to my 10-yr old portable ST TV and has sharp and clear playback. The other one, connected to my 5-yr old Projection TV also has great playback. I watch both TV’s thru my recorders and record almost daily. I’ve always been pleased with the picture - - - until now.

Here’s the problem: I bought a flat screen HDTV several months ago. The picture was not quite as good as it was on my Projection TV. I questioned it and was told that these TV’s are meant to perform with HD to which I was not subscribed. My provider (Dish) installed a new HD Receiver last week and yes, the picture was even better than it was on my Projection - B U T - when they connected it to my Recorder, the picture was just horrible!!! Playback of a recording was just as bad. They told me I needed a Recorder with both an IDMI input and an output, but mine has only one. I can’t remember which one I need. I’m 73 years old and have very minimum technical knowledge or understanding.

My questions: Is there some kind of an adapter or something that I could buy to make my Philips 3576 work with my new flat-screen as it did with my Projection? I really miss the great playback quality I had. If not, could you please recommend a compatible recorder with the same features - especially the 4-way dubbing - as my Philips 3576? THANKS!

Nana B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Phillip 3576 is a SD recorder and will not record in full HD that your Dish receiver provides. There are no reasonably priced consumer recorders that will take the HD signals from the Dish receiver and output in HD to your new TV through HDMI. Your best solution is to rent the recorder from Dish for an additional fee.

For further discussions on Phillip 3576 and other SD recorders, you may want to post it in the Video Components, DVD Recorders (Standard Definition) section of AVS forum.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman1 View Post

Phillip 3576 is a SD recorder and will not record in full HD that your Dish receiver provides. There are no reasonably priced consumer recorders that will take the HD signals from the Dish receiver and output in HD to your new TV through HDMI. Your best solution is to rent the recorder from Dish for an additional fee.
For further discussions on Phillip 3576 and other SD recorders, you may want to post it in the Video Components, DVD Recorders (Standard Definition) section of AVS forum.

REPLY TO GUSMAN 1,

I'm not sure how this forum operates and hope I did this right.

Thanks for your response. Is it possible that an HDTV indoor antenna would do the trick? I just turned my TV on. It was at an end of a news item that this antenna was being recommended to certain viewers to resolve an issue - that I didn't hear - darn it!!!

I'm really frustrated cuz I record to hard disk every day and then record special stuff to DVD, but getting lousy playback, especially on special programs (biographies, concerts, etc.) almost makes me cry : (

Can you give me an idea of how unreasonable the prices might be for an HD recorder - or - the names of some I can research on the Net?

Nana B.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Just rent the Dish DVR. The monthly rental for satellite DVR's is not too bad. It has multiple tuners and will record and playback in HD. Your picture on the HDTV will look great and you will be happy with how easy it is to schedule a recording using a guide. Some people can tolerate the look of a DVD recorder on an HDTV -- looks like you are not one of them. Make the jump to HD DVR and be happy watching your new toy.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana B View Post

Is it possible that an HDTV indoor antenna would do the trick? I just turned my TV on. It was at an end of a news item that this antenna was being recommended to certain viewers to resolve an issue - that I didn't hear - darn it!!!
I'm really frustrated cuz I record to hard disk every day and then record special stuff to DVD, but getting lousy playback, especially on special programs (biographies, concerts, etc.) almost makes me cry : (
Can you give me an idea of how unreasonable the prices might be for an HD recorder - or - the names of some I can research on the Net?
If you are only interested in recording 'off the air' HDTV channels and not HD satellite channels from Dish receiver, you have couple of options. One of them is Digital Stream DPH-1000R available for about $235 from Amazon/ Walmart/ BH Photo etc. (I just got one this week and still playing with it). You would need a good quality antenna connected to it for receiving the signals from TV station. Depending on your location, an indoor antenna may do the trick. Most of the time a outdoor antenna in the attic is the best solution. Please note that you cannot copy the programs to DVD, since it does not have one. You can export it a USB drive and burn to DVD in a PC. As far I know, none of the HD recorders would burn DVD from the HD content. Other HD recorders are discussed in this forum and include Moxi, Channel Master etc, but I have no experience with them.

Another option will be the newer Magnavox 533H DVD/HDD recorder available only from Walmart.com for about $218. Its digital tuner does a good job and has HDMI output for your LCD/plasma TV. It will record the program from HDD to DVD. The content will be in SD, but based on my experience, the 'off the air' TV programs will be of good quality. It would also require an antenna. You will also be able to record the programs from Dish on both recorders in SD only.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman1 View Post

Another option will be the newer Magnavox 533H DVD/HDD recorder available only from Walmart.com for about $218. Its digital tuner does a good job and has HDMI output for your LCD/plasma TV. It will record the program from HDD to DVD. The content will be in SD, but based on my experience, the 'off the air' TV programs will be of good quality. It would also require an antenna. You will also be able to record the programs from Dish on both recorders in SD only.
She already has a couple Philips 3576 recorders which will do all this with their digital tuners and says she doesn't like the PQ on her new HDTV. I don't think an SD recorder is for her.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page