Directv Genia HDD replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone updated/changed out the HDD in the DTV Genie to say a 3TB drive ? I own mine so DTV doesn't have a say what I do to the unit. If you have does the Genie format the drive and add the proper partition extension for the new drive ? I know I can use a esata external hard drive but what I don't like about that is if the drive looses power it formats when it gets power back. I know I can add a UPS. I'm very rural and we do loose power out here all the time and sometimes it's more then just a few hours and a UPS won't last that long.

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great question. Any ideas?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck_Randy View Post

Has anyone updated/changed out the HDD in the DTV Genie to say a 3TB drive ? I own mine so DTV doesn't have a say what I do to the unit. If you have does the Genie format the drive and add the proper partition extension for the new drive ? I know I can use a esata external hard drive but what I don't like about that is if the drive looses power it formats when it gets power back. I know I can add a UPS. I'm very rural and we do loose power out here all the time and sometimes it's more then just a few hours and a UPS won't last that long.

Thanks
Randy

DBSTalk.com would be the place to look. I don't remember anybody posting about doing it though (there were many threads about doing such for the HR24 and earlier DVRs).

That said, you are incorrect about the external drive reformatting after a power outage. That should never happen. The worst that I could see happening is that possibly the external drive might not get started back up as fast as the HR34, so the HR34 might boot to it's internal drive instead. Rebooting the HR34 with the external drive still hooked up and turned on should get the HR34 to recognize it again and all your recordings should still be there and play fine.

As far as I know the only time any DirecTV DVR will actually reformat an external drive is the very first time that drive is hooked up so it gets formatted to the right file system type. After that it shouldn't ever have to be formatted again. Even if it gets hooked up to a different DVR it shouldn't get reformatted. The recordings and DVR settings should all still be on the drive, and from what I remember the recordings will even show up in the playlist, but if you try to watch them they will not play since they are encrypted to the DVR that made the recording. You end up just having to delete them all to free the space back up.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2013, 02:42 AM

Liked: 11
No problem swapping out the 1TB internal hard drive inside a HR44 with a 2, 3, or 4 TB drive. (I highly suggest a Video rated Hard Drive)

The top cover pops off with a thin flat screw driver to unlock 5 snap clips, located in slots on the bottom of the unit.
The hard drive comes out with 2 tork screws which hold a thin metal bracket towards the front of the unit.
Disconnect the Sata cable from the drive and slip the sled slightly forward, to unlock 2 metal tabs, then carefully back and the drive is in your hand. Remove the black heat sink and 4 mounting screws from the sled.

Reverse the process and your done, took me about 15 minutes, its just silly to pay someone to do this. Not to mention this is a much cleaner install IMO than hooking up a potentially unreliable eSata drive.

No drama, turn the HR44 back on and it boots back up like nothing happened. (Well you do loose all the video programs on the old hard drive. For that reason alone I suggest upgrading the hard drive in your new Genie as soon as possible)

If you have any Mini-Genie clients (HR31/41) you will have to put in new passwords.

Go to Settings, Whole-Home, Add A Client. A PIN will be displayed on the screen, power up the Genie client and you will be prompted to enter that PIN.

Another nice feature of all Genie boxes is that you can copy settings from another box, including the Genie DVR itself. This means you don't have to redo your favorites lists and other common settings. Simply click on "Copy Settings" in the Whole Home sub menu and copy your old settings from one of your Mini Clients back to the Genie.

Really that's all there is to it.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 AM

No problem swapping out the 1TB internal hard drive inside a HR44 with a 2, 3, or 4 TB drive. (I highly suggest a Video rated Hard Drive)

The top cover pops off with a thin flat screw driver to unlock 5 snap clips, located in slots on the bottom of the unit.
The hard drive comes out with 2 tork screws which hold a thin metal bracket towards the front of the unit.
Disconnect the Sata cable from the drive and slip the sled slightly forward, to unlock 2 metal tabs, then carefully back and the drive is in your hand. Remove the black heat sink and 4 mounting screws from the sled.

Reverse the process and your done, took me about 15 minutes, its just silly to pay someone to do this. Not to mention this is a much cleaner install IMO than hooking up a potentially unreliable eSata drive.

No drama, turn the HR44 back on and it boots back up like nothing happened. (Well you do loose all the video programs on the old hard drive. For that reason alone I suggest upgrading the hard drive in your new Genie as soon as possible)

If you have any Mini-Genie clients (HR31/41) you will have to put in new passwords.

Go to Settings, Whole-Home, Add A Client. A PIN will be displayed on the screen, power up the Genie client and you will be prompted to enter that PIN.

Another nice feature of all Genie boxes is that you can copy settings from another box, including the Genie DVR itself. This means you don't have to redo your favorites lists and other common settings. Simply click on "Copy Settings" in the Whole Home sub menu and copy your old settings from one of your Mini Clients back to the Genie.

Really that's all there is to it.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-08-2014, 04:49 PM

So do I still need to copy data on the exsisting drive? Or a empty drive is fine and system will auto format?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c55la View Post
So do I still need to copy data on the exsisting drive? Or a empty drive is fine and system will auto format?
A new hard drive, empty older drive, or even a used drive ... doesn't matter ... the Genie erases everything and auto formats.

Install the drive ... power up the Genie and your done!
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
A new hard drive, empty older drive, or even a used drive ... doesn't matter ... the Genie erases everything and auto formats.

Install the drive ... power up the Genie and your done!
if your looking to upgrade a standard dvr ie non tivo the used to have external ports usb and sata however trying to upgrade the internal drive may not work look around to a tivo stalactite recover the go over to tivo site there you can either order a replacement drive or a bit of software called bless tivo
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page