AVS Forum banner

How to get DVR Videos Off a Motorola DCX3400?

31K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  JDLIVE 
#1 ·
What's the best way to get DVR vidoes off a Motorola DCX3400? What equipment do I need and what's the best way to do this?

-Thanks

#6 ·
You take the output of the DVR (preferably component if it has it), connect that to the Hauppauge HD DVR (which is connected to a computer), start your show on the DVR and hit record on the computer via hauppauge or other software, and it will record to the computer or a usb hard drive connected to the computer. It is simple and works well for any capturing, with minimal to zero loss in picture quality.

#7 ·
Try this:

Uno:

Win32 w/Firewire Port-Install Exdues driver package and CapDVHS.

OSX w/Firewire Port-Download and install Apples Firewire SDK and get the AVCVideoCap updated app posted here on AVSForum.

Dos: Connect a 6 pin - 6 pin firewire cable from the DVR to the computer

Tres: Make a recording from one of your local broadcast channels and then play it back on the DVR.

Quattro: Fire up either CapDVHS / AVCVideoCap and try recording the signal being played back.

Once you have the resulting video file on your HDD you can slice and dice it whatever way you want.

I said to record a broadcast channel to avoid any encryption or copy control features built into the device.

Good luck

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd  /t/1452200/how-to-get-dvr-videos-off-a-motorola-dcx3400#post_22886924

Try this:

Uno:

Win32 w/Firewire Port-Install Exdues driver package and CapDVHS.

OSX w/Firewire Port-Download and install Apples Firewire SDK and get the AVCVideoCap updated app posted here on AVSForum.

Dos: Connect a 6 pin - 6 pin firewire cable from the DVR to the computer

Tres: Make a recording from one of your local broadcast channels and then play it back on the DVR.

Quattro: Fire up either CapDVHS / AVCVideoCap and try recording the signal being played back.

Once you have the resulting video file on your HDD you can slice and dice it whatever way you want.

I said to record a broadcast channel to avoid any encryption or copy control features built into the device.

Good luck

So just download the CapDVHS with the proper drivers and plug it in with a Firewire cable to a computer and it should work?

-Thanks!

#9 · (Edited)
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamsAutoAdvice

So just download the CapDVHS with the proper drivers and plug it in with a Firewire cable to a computer and it should work?

Depending on what firmware version the 3400 is running, yes, using CapDVHS with the proper drivers should allow you to capture stuff via FireWire.

The easiest way to get the proper drivers and CapDVHS installed is to use my Windows Installer .MSI package, which can be downloaded from http://www.sendspace.com/file/26fzqx
(This download site has deceptive download links that try to trick you into download junk you have no interest in. Use the download link toward the center of the page that has a light blue background and says "Download" in white letters)

This must be installed on a 32-bit edition of Windows! It supports Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. There is no way to capture FireWire using 64-bit Windows editions.

-TNO821

#10 ·
If you dont trust installer packages, the Exdues site has a simple zip file which contains the CapDVHS exe and the drivers which can easily be manually installed.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with TNO's installer, but I prefer the zip file myself since I know what is being installed on my machince and there is less chance of crap / malware

being silently dumped onto my machine without my knowledge.

#11 ·
I think you are missing the point of MSI technology. It's data driven and transparent, with numerous freeware viewers/editors available to allay any fears of malware. And, most importantly, it's far safer than a manual install due to transactional rollback. And obviously easier than a manual install.

#12 ·
No-most if not all users of installers do not know where to obtain nor use viewers to peek inside the prepackaged installer and simple double click and let it do whatever it wants to your system.

Come on-installing the driver nexessary is simple enough to accomplish by following the instructions that the need to the installed is questionable. Thanks for providing it though.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd  /t/1452200/how-to-get-dvr-videos-off-a-motorola-dcx3400#post_22919603

No-most if not all users of installers do not know where to obtain nor use viewers to peek inside the prepackaged installer and simple double click and let it do whatever it wants to your system.

Come on-installing the driver nexessary is simple enough to accomplish by following the instructions that the need to the installed is questionable. Thanks for providing it though.

My argument boils down to: The technology is better, easier and transparent enough (particularly when you consider the number of smart folks on this forum who have vetted the installer...there clearly is no malware/crapware involved.) Your argument boils down to: the manual install of the drivers (AND the legacy Windows 7 FireWire driver, AND CapDVHS, AND MPEG2Repair, AND dealing with nuisances of the Program Compatibility Assistant / need for knowing that UAC must be granted, etc.) is so easy that an installer is not needed. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

#14 ·
Potential new DCX-3400 user question

(posting to an old, but relevant thread)

After having a DCT-3416 for 8+ years, it appears that the hardware is about to go belly up, requiring me to get a new DVR from Comcast. The support rep was recommending requesting a DCX-3400, but I'm reluctant to make the change, as I've had a Win7-32 CapDVHS setup for many years now, and am concerned that switching to a different DVR box will result in loss of firewire capture capabilities.

So, my question: does anyone now have a Win7-32 setup allowing for firewire capture currently?

Thanks for whatever help, suggestions, recommendations you can make.

#15 ·
If you're just wanting to archive shows, worst case you could invest in a CableCard tuner and install WMC or some other DVR software on the PC. It's actually easier since you don't have to do the transfer, the file's already on the PC. Of course you'd have to set up the recordings on both the PC and the Comcast DVR.

#18 ·
@ Tiernan It's not your exact question but when I had to replace my overheating Comcast DCT-3416 with a Comcast DCX-3400 a few years ago it totally broke my JVC D-VHS firewire connection. I had used it to move recordings off my DVR to D-VHS tape successfully for years. I did a lot of research at the time and everyone seemed to agree the firewire was just plain broke on the DCX-3400. I've since moved on.

#19 ·
I've seen no indication that the firewire has improved on the DCX3400 in the SF Bay area (I last tried it about a year ago).

I can only very occasionally get a DCX3400 firewire capture to work if I futz around with pausing the DVR recording, then start the capture and immeadiately play the DVR recording. It's insanely hard to time it properly and absolutely not worth the effort.

#20 ·
old thread but hopefully someone can help. i know someone with this unit and they asked me if i could help,with downloading a show from the device. i have the gear but not sure if it will work. does anyone know if i take this machine to my house if it will play without connecting to the comcast back end?

thanks m

jr

#21 ·
No, it won't. But if you hook it to an uninterruptable power supply you could get it to work. If it loses power you will be out of luck because the DVR needs its cable connection after it powers up or it won't allow you to play back any recordings. I once did the UPS trick a few years back just to see if it could be done (I just took it across town, maybe a 10 minute trip, hooked to a UPS). As long as the unit hasn't powered off since it had its cable connection, you are able to play back recordings.

-TNO821

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.