How to get DVR Videos Off a Motorola DCX3400? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the best way to get DVR vidoes off a Motorola DCX3400? What equipment do I need and what's the best way to do this?

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody is going to give me advice about this?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I know of one way, the hauppage 1212 HD recorder or the newer model depending on what you want/need.
That box and a computer will enable you to copy what you want - real time though.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

How do you do it once the DVR already has the show on it though?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You play it on the DVR and record it to the recorder while it's playing.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You take the output of the DVR (preferably component if it has it), connect that to the Hauppauge HD DVR (which is connected to a computer), start your show on the DVR and hit record on the computer via hauppauge or other software, and it will record to the computer or a usb hard drive connected to the computer. It is simple and works well for any capturing, with minimal to zero loss in picture quality.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Try this:
Uno:
Win32 w/Firewire Port-Install Exdues driver package and CapDVHS.
OSX w/Firewire Port-Download and install Apples Firewire SDK and get the AVCVideoCap updated app posted here on AVSForum.
Dos: Connect a 6 pin - 6 pin firewire cable from the DVR to the computer
Tres: Make a recording from one of your local broadcast channels and then play it back on the DVR.
Quattro: Fire up either CapDVHS / AVCVideoCap and try recording the signal being played back.

Once you have the resulting video file on your HDD you can slice and dice it whatever way you want.

I said to record a broadcast channel to avoid any encryption or copy control features built into the device.

Good luck
post #8 of 13 Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Try this:
Uno:
Win32 w/Firewire Port-Install Exdues driver package and CapDVHS.
OSX w/Firewire Port-Download and install Apples Firewire SDK and get the AVCVideoCap updated app posted here on AVSForum.
Dos: Connect a 6 pin - 6 pin firewire cable from the DVR to the computer
Tres: Make a recording from one of your local broadcast channels and then play it back on the DVR.
Quattro: Fire up either CapDVHS / AVCVideoCap and try recording the signal being played back.

Once you have the resulting video file on your HDD you can slice and dice it whatever way you want.

I said to record a broadcast channel to avoid any encryption or copy control features built into the device.

Good luck

So just download the CapDVHS with the proper drivers and plug it in with a Firewire cable to a computer and it should work?

-Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAutoAdvice View Post

So just download the CapDVHS with the proper drivers and plug it in with a Firewire cable to a computer and it should work?

Depending on what firmware version the 3400 is running, yes, using CapDVHS with the proper drivers should allow you to capture stuff via FireWire.

The easiest way to get the proper drivers and CapDVHS installed is to use my Windows Installer .MSI package, which can be downloaded from http://www.sendspace.com/file/26fzqx
(This download site has deceptive download links that try to trick you into download junk you have no interest in. Use the download link toward the bottom center of the page that has a light blue background and says "Click here to start download from sendspace")

This must be installed on a 32-bit version of Windows! It supports Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. There is no way to capture FireWire using 64-bit Windows.

-TNO821
post #10 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If you dont trust installer packages, the Exdues site has a simple zip file which contains the CapDVHS exe and the drivers which can easily be manually installed.
Not saying that there is anything wrong with TNO's installer, but I prefer the zip file myself since I know what is being installed on my machince and there is less chance of crap / malware
being silently dumped onto my machine without my knowledge.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you are missing the point of MSI technology. It's data driven and transparent, with numerous freeware viewers/editors available to allay any fears of malware. And, most importantly, it's far safer than a manual install due to transactional rollback. And obviously easier than a manual install.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

No-most if not all users of installers do not know where to obtain nor use viewers to peek inside the prepackaged installer and simple double click and let it do whatever it wants to your system.
Come on-installing the driver nexessary is simple enough to accomplish by following the instructions that the need to the installed is questionable. Thanks for providing it though.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

No-most if not all users of installers do not know where to obtain nor use viewers to peek inside the prepackaged installer and simple double click and let it do whatever it wants to your system.
Come on-installing the driver nexessary is simple enough to accomplish by following the instructions that the need to the installed is questionable. Thanks for providing it though.

My argument boils down to: The technology is better, easier and transparent enough (particularly when you consider the number of smart folks on this forum who have vetted the installer...there clearly is no malware/crapware involved.) Your argument boils down to: the manual install of the drivers (AND the legacy Windows 7 FireWire driver, AND CapDVHS, AND MPEG2Repair, AND dealing with nuisances of the Program Compatibility Assistant / need for knowing that UAC must be granted, etc.) is so easy that an installer is not needed. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page