Cisco Explorer 8742HDC 30 second skip - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I just had my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD replaced with the new 1 TB Cisco 8742 hdc. It took over an hour for the installers to get it working properly. The first guy had to call his co-worker to come with a different box. That one did not work properly either, so they had to do some re-programming (or something) until it finally started working OK. After they left, I started playing around with it and discovered that it was still not up to snuff. It would not record 2 different programs simultaneously among other problems. I called my cable provider (Cox) and spoke to a tech guy who seemed very knowledgeable. He said he had scheduled the new box for his own home for this Saturday so I was glad he was knowledgeable about this box. He did a reset and fixed all the issues. I then asked him "Off the record" about the "30 second skip" feature. He said he really couldn't comment on it but pretty much said it was programmable and that I could find how to do it by searching online. I have searched high and wide but cannot find a "How To" anywhere. Anybody have any info regarding programming this feature on this box?

Thanks in advance.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Based on the 0 replies, I'm thinking maybe there is no 30 second skip function on this new box.

Anybody??

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
post #3 of 34 Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi View Post

Based on the 0 replies, I'm thinking maybe there is no 30 second skip function on this new box.

Anybody??

Is there even a button on the remote for it? What remote do you have? What firmware are you using? TRIO? I have a 8642HDC (which I've been led to believe is the same as a 8742HDC, but with a different front panel and smaller HDD) using a URC-8820 (black) remote, and there is no 30-second skip.
post #4 of 34 Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Is there even a button on the remote for it? What remote do you have? What firmware are you using? TRIO? I have a 8642HDC (which I've been led to believe is the same as a 8742HDC, but with a different front panel and smaller HDD) using a URC-8820 (black) remote, and there is no 30-second skip.

I believe I have "TRIO". Remote does not have a dedicated button for it.

On some DVRs, the "30 second skip" button is something that you "program" the DVR to do and you choose the button you want to send the "30 second skip" command. For instance, The Comcast box is programmable for the "30 second skip" feature by doing the following:

1. Press the Cable button at the top of the remote
2. Press and hold the Setup button until the Cable button blinks twice
3. Type in code 994 (the Cable button will blink twice again)
4. Press (but do not hold) the Setup button
5. Type in code 00173
6. Press whichever button you want to be your 30-second skip button (the Cable button will blink twice). Done.

There is supposedly a way to do the same with the new Cisco DVRs, according to a Cox Cable tech I spoke to last week. I still haven't found it. I'm seriously considering switching to DirecTV, not only for not being able to program a "30 second skip" feature, but for other reasons as well. The DirecTV "Genie" box is programmable for the "30 second skip" feature, plus it has the ability to record 5 programs simultaneously. The new Cox DVR (Cisco 8742), supposedly will have the ability to record 5 channels in the near future. I will continue to try to find this program sequence, but it is not looking good. It is a very important feature for me. Cox should just give me the code, if there is one, or they will lose my business. If you "speed watch" football, it is indispensable.

post #5 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On some DVRs, the "30 second skip" button is something that you "program" the DVR to do and you choose the button you want to send the "30 second skip" command. For instance, The Comcast box is programmable for the "30 second skip" feature by doing the following:

1. Press the Cable button at the top of the remote
2. Press and hold the Setup button until the Cable button blinks twice
3. Type in code 994 (the Cable button will blink twice again)
4. Press (but do not hold) the Setup button
5. Type in code 00173
6. Press whichever button you want to be your 30-second skip button (the Cable button will blink twice). Done.

There is supposedly a way to do the same with the new Cisco DVRs, according to a Cox Cable tech I spoke to last week.

I have yet to see any Cisco DVR have a 30-second skip.
Quote:
The new Cox DVR (Cisco 8742), supposedly will have the ability to record 5 channels in the near future.

The 8742 is a 2-tuner DVR. It will always be a 2-tuner DVR. Cox is testing a 6-tuner/2TB HDD DVR for introduction later this year.
Quote:
I will continue to try to find this program sequence, but it is not looking good. It is a very important feature for me. Cox should just give me the code, if there is one, or they will lose my business. If you "speed watch" football, it is indispensable.

I watch my sports live. No DVR needed.
post #6 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 8742 is a 2-tuner DVR. It will always be a 2-tuner DVR. Cox is testing a 6-tuner/2TB HDD DVR for introduction later this year.

I was told by the installer that the 8742 is a 2-tuner DVR but they have come up with a way in software that will enable the 8742 to "act" like a 5-tuner device. It is why, he said, the upgrade can take place with an auto firmware upgrade. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but that is what I was told. The installer who told me that seemed to know what he was talking about when discussing other issues. If this is incorrect, he really should pay more attention in their meetings. (He told me they just got out of a meeting where that, among other things, was discussed)
Quote:
I watch my sports live. No DVR needed.

That's great for you. I record pretty much everything. I never watch live TV. Isn't that the idea of having a DVR. Besides, the "30 second skip" is not only great for "Speed watching" football, it's great for watching any program that has commercials. 4-30 second skip clicks gets you through most commercial sets in an instant. If you've ever used a DVR that had this function (I had it with my first generation TiVo), I believe you would not want to be without it.
videobruce likes this.

post #7 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I was told by the installer that the 8742 is a 2-tuner DVR but they have come up with a way in software that will enable the 8742 to "act" like a 5-tuner device. It is why, he said, the upgrade can take place with an auto firmware upgrade. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but that is what I was told. The installer who told me that seemed to know what he was talking about when discussing other issues. If this is incorrect, he really should pay more attention in their meetings. (He told me they just got out of a meeting where that, among other things, was discussed)

He was wrong about "software update" turning a 2-tuner DVR into a 5-tuner DVR, and about the 8742HDC having 30-second skip possibilities. The Comcast/SA RNG200? Yes. The Cisco/SA 8642/8742? No.
Quote:
That's great for you. I record pretty much everything. I never watch live TV. Isn't that the idea of having a DVR. Besides, the "30 second skip" is not only great for "Speed watching" football, it's great for watching any program that has commercials. 4-30 second skip clicks gets you through most commercial sets in an instant. If you've ever used a DVR that had this function (I had it with my first generation TiVo), I believe you would not want to be without it.

I can FF through any commercial break in <5 seconds. Good enough.
post #8 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm not sure why you are so insistent that "30 second skip" is not such a big deal. Have you ever had a DVR with this feature for a significant period of time? Anyway, problem solved. I just ordered DirecTV with their (relatively) new "Genie" DVR. "30 second skip" 1 TB storage with eSATA expansion port, 5 tuner plus one 'mini genie' for a second TV, all for about $40 less per month than what I'm paying CoxCable. Can't wait to ditch this 30 second skip-less DVR. Install scheduled for tomorrow.

post #9 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure why you are so insistent that "30 second skip" is not such a big deal. Have you ever had a DVR with this feature for a significant period of time? Anyway, problem solved. I just ordered DirecTV with their (relatively) new "Genie" DVR. "30 second skip" 1 TB storage with eSATA expansion port, 5 tuner plus one 'mini genie' for a second TV, all for about $40 less per month than what I'm paying CoxCable. Can't wait to ditch this 30 second skip-less DVR. Install scheduled for tomorrow.

Unless the commercial break is an exact multiple of 30 seconds, my >>>> plus adjustment is just as fast as your 30-second skip plus adjustment. What humors me more is your "knowledgeable" technician telling you that the 8742 had such a feature, and that the 2-tuner 8742 was software upgradable to be a 5-tuner DVR. Now that's funny!
post #10 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Unless the commercial break is an exact multiple of 30 seconds, my >>>> plus adjustment is just as fast as your 30-second skip plus adjustment. What humors me more is your "knowledgeable" technician telling you that the 8742 had such a feature, and that the 2-tuner 8742 was software upgradable to be a 5-tuner DVR. Now that's funny!

You're right. If the Tech gave false info, that's pretty sad, but techs are not always right about everything. Are any of us? For the record, he is not "my knowledgeable technician". Just a CoxCable tech who seemed to know a lot about the various functions of the Cox DVRs.

You still haven't answer my question though. Have you used a DVR for a significant period of time that had a "30 sec skip" function. I bought a TiVo HDR112 series 1 back in '99, which had the "30 sec skip" function (you had to hack it with a series of remote commands), used it for 15 years before it finally died, and lived with a SA DVR for about 10 years without the function. Now I have the function again with the Genie DVR. It is so much better. And yeah, most commercial sets are in 30 second increments. If you over-shoot the program by a few seconds, the 8 sec. back skip fixes that. Also, no, your >>>> is not as fast. One is instant, the other scans. If you haven't had a DVR with the skip function, you should really try it.

Cheers.

post #11 of 34 Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

You're right. If the Tech gave false info, that's pretty sad, but techs are not always right about everything. Are any of us? For the record, he is not "my knowledgeable technician". Just a CoxCable tech who seemed to know a lot about the various functions of the Cox DVRs.

The fact that he believed that a software update could turn a 2-tuner DVR into a 5-tuner DVR tells me he knew very little about Cox DVRs. Either the tuners are there or they're not. If the 8742HDC was a 5-tuner DVR, and the present firmware enabled only two of them, then updating the firmware to enable all five tuners would be possible. But the 8742HDC only has two tuners, period.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the tech didn't say that. It was the installer who made that claim. (I'm pretty sure I wrote that in my 4th post). Anyway, what do you expect from an installer. The phone tech is the one who claimed there is a "30 second skip" feature for the 8742 that needs to be "hacked". I have not confirmed either way on that. Seems plausible though. I don't really care since I switched to the much better Genie. You don't care because you have no use for the feature. (I take it you haven't ever used a DVR with the feature since you never answered the question).

It's all good.

post #13 of 34 Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had/have the 30-second skip function on my old 2003-2005 Toshiba DVD recorders, both with hard drives and DVD drives for burning pre-recorded programs (that you can even first edit out commercials for and customize titles, chapters and thumbnail images).

I agree, I love the 30-second skip button. In conjunction with the 8-second replay button it works wonders, not only for skipping commercials but as an alternative for finding your place in a program you already watched part of and when I was editing out the commercials in programs I had recorded to free up HD space and/or to burn to DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-RAM.

Has anyone used DVD recorders before (basically DVR's with editing software and disc playing & burning drives)? Panasonic and Toshiba were the top manufacturers from 2002-2006, but then they all disappeared. Anyone know why?

By the way, I was using the 8300HD with Cox and Passport but just got switched to the 8742 with Trio. It's nice that the Trio guide is 16:9 and fills the screen and that it has some recommendation features. But I miss the PIP function (doesn't work, at least not yet, with trio), the fact that there's no buffer that sets you back 3-seconds when you stop fast-forwarding so you can avoid overshoots, and that the guide won't let you go back even 2 hours in the past like Passport did. It is present time or future, period.
post #14 of 34 Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious as to why you replaced your SciAtlanta box. I have years of experience with this equipment and found it to be totally unreliable. My 8300 HDC has to be rebooted every week or so b/c it stops responding to the remote. My other 2 boxes aren't much better. I've had to swap out 3 DVR boxes b/c they failed causing me to lose some great programs. I called SciAtlanta to ask them what was going on and their tech support was awful. Didn't want to talk to me. Is the Cisco equipment any better?

Thanks!

Karl
post #15 of 34 Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Hi Karl...

I actually had the 8300HD (I've ready better things about it than the 8300HDC) first back in 2006 when I got my first HDTV, a 61" DLP in a place I have in the L.A. area with Time Warner. I loved it and Passport over what Cox was using at my Phoenix home (still SARA). Finally, Cox too switched to Passport in 2008 and when I got an HDTV set in Phoenix in 2009 I got the 8300HD there too. I loved it and had it for 3.5 years before the hard drive went bad in December, causing me to lose dozens of hours of saved shows on both the drive and the attached 1TB HDD (one thing I loved is that it worked with external hard drive expanders).

I was happy to swap it out for another seven weeks ago but lo and behold just six weeks later, after I finally got all my programs scheduled just as I wanted and had accumulated a good number of shows, it too failed the exact same way (hard drive) as the first! mad.gif This could be because it was refurbished or an old model but I decided now I should get a newer model. I had a Cox tech come and leave me their newest model Cisco 8742 with a 1TB internal drive that was also not refurbished. I was forced to switch to the Trio IPG though. It has some nice features but there are also things I liked better about Passport. With my expander I was more than happy with the 8300HD but since it was old I was skeptical to trade it in for a third one and lose all my shows yet again. I could have gotten a Cisco 8642 with a 500GB drive that can run a newer version of Passport instead of Trio, but I don't think it works with the expander either. I'm still debating. It's hard to get a clear answer on if the eSATA ports are deliberately disabled on Cisco models but not on the SA8300HD, and if so why?
post #16 of 34 Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarl34 View Post

Just curious as to why you replaced your SciAtlanta box. I have years of experience with this equipment and found it to be totally unreliable. My 8300 HDC has to be rebooted every week or so b/c it stops responding to the remote. My other 2 boxes aren't much better. I've had to swap out 3 DVR boxes b/c they failed causing me to lose some great programs. I called SciAtlanta to ask them what was going on and their tech support was awful. Didn't want to talk to me. Is the Cisco equipment any better?

Thanks!

Karl

Cisco IS S/A; S/A IS Cisco
post #17 of 34 Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLinPHX View Post

Hi Karl...

I actually had the 8300HD (I've ready better things about it than the 8300HDC) first back in 2006 when I got my first HDTV, a 61" DLP in a place I have in the L.A. area with Time Warner. I loved it and Passport over what Cox was using at my Phoenix home (still SARA). Finally, Cox too switched to Passport in 2008 and when I got an HDTV set in Phoenix in 2009 I got the 8300HD there too. I loved it and had it for 3.5 years before the hard drive went bad in December, causing me to lose dozens of hours of saved shows on both the drive and the attached 1TB HDD (one thing I loved is that it worked with external hard drive expanders).

I was happy to swap it out for another seven weeks ago but lo and behold just six weeks later, after I finally got all my programs scheduled just as I wanted and had accumulated a good number of shows, it too failed the exact same way (hard drive) as the first! mad.gif This could be because it was refurbished or an old model but I decided now I should get a newer model. I had a Cox tech come and leave me their newest model Cisco 8742 with a 1TB internal drive that was also not refurbished. I was forced to switch to the Trio IPG though. It has some nice features but there are also things I liked better about Passport. With my expander I was more than happy with the 8300HD but since it was old I was skeptical to trade it in for a third one and lose all my shows yet again. I could have gotten a Cisco 8642 with a 500GB drive that can run a newer version of Passport instead of Trio, but I don't think it works with the expander either. I'm still debating. It's hard to get a clear answer on if the eSATA ports are deliberately disabled on Cisco models but not on the SA8300HD, and if so why?

The 8240/8300 with Passport and the 8642HDC with Passport cannot receive the 20 or so (and growing) "Plus Pak" HD channels. An 8642 or 8742 running TRIO is required.

The 8300HD went EOL FOUR years ago.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps8613/end_of_life_notice_c51-648379.pdf
post #18 of 34 Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:

The 8240/8300 with Passport and the 8642HDC with Passport cannot receive the 20 or so (and growing) "Plus Pak" HD channels. An 8642 or 8742 running TRIO is required.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps8613/end_of_life_notice_c51-648379.pdf

What exactly comprises the "Plus Pak"? I think more features and the user interface means more to me.

Does anyone know of a thread here discussing the differences and pros/cons of "Passport" vs. "Trio"? Haven't found one (yet at least).
post #19 of 34 Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly comprises the "Plus Pak"? I think more features and the user interface means more to me.

Does anyone know of a thread here discussing the differences and pros/cons of "Passport" vs. "Trio"? Haven't found one (yet at least).

The "Plus Pak" has more than 20 (number varies by region) and increasing HD channels. For me, it was the only way to get the PAC-12 HD channel and the Big 10 HD channel. For others, it is the addition of a couple dozen HD premium movie channels. Still others, I suspect, will be drawn by the upcoming addition of the ESPN 3D channel.

As far as TRIO goes, I like the 16:9 aspect ratio, the multiple user setup, the half dozen or so ways to configure the guide, the color set-up, etc. I'd never go back to Passport.
post #20 of 34 Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

The "Plus Pak" has more than 20 (number varies by region) and increasing HD channels. For me, it was the only way to get the PAC-12 HD channel and the Big 10 HD channel. For others, it is the addition of a couple dozen HD premium movie channels. Still others, I suspect, will be drawn by the upcoming addition of the ESPN 3D channel.

As far as TRIO goes, I like the 16:9 aspect ratio, the multiple user setup, the half dozen or so ways to configure the guide, the color set-up, etc. I'd never go back to Passport.

Oh, so it sounds like it's just a another sport package. We have separate tiers you can order if you are a sports fan or need more sports channels.

While I do like the 16:9 aspect ratio I have no need for multi-user or to view the guide in so many ways really. Customizability is great, but not if they remove certain functional features I needed or used. What I do miss however is the jump-back buffer you get when fast-forwarding so you don't overshoot and then have to take the extra few steps each time to go back to where you want to start. Passport had that but Trio does not. Also, I used to wonder why guides only let you go back two hours. I can think of many times I needed to see what I missed Primetime or why a certain show didn't record (rerun?), or a lot of other reasons. TV Guide online allows you to jump back one 24-hour period, which I used frequently. Now I see Trio doesn't even allow you to go back those measly two hours. It won't allow you to go back before the current time -- period. Also, it takes several buttons and menus to turn closed captions on and off. With Passport it was easy: hit settings button once and arrow up/down to select it. And Picture-In-Picture has been completely disabled! I used that occasionally. Bells, whistles and cosmetic enhancements mean little if usable functionality is removed as a trade-off. The 8742 doesn't seem to accept either of my two eSATA HDD expanders like the 8300HD did either (one 500GB and the other 1TB). It does have a 1TB internal so it's not such a big deal, but I wish I understood why.

As this thread discusses, I have not seen the 30-sec skip feature on any cable system DVR's as of yet.
post #21 of 34 Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, so it sounds like it's just a another sport package. We have separate tiers you can order if you are a sports fan or need more sports channels.

I mention 24+ premium movie channels, and just three sports channels, and you call it "just another sports package." Why do I bother? Plus, it is FREE, but you need a 1GHz/H.241 tuner plus TRIO to receive these channels.
post #22 of 34 Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:

I mention 24+ premium movie channels, and just three sports channels, and you call it "just another sports package." Why do I bother? Plus, it is FREE, but you need a 1GHz/H.241 tuner plus TRIO to receive these channels.

Uh, to be fair you named three channels specifically, all sports. And what "24 premium movie channels" are these? Since none of the major premium cable movie channels are free, and since you did not name a single one, I can only assume it's like some movie tier or something.

What's interesting though is what you didn't acknowledge. I gave five examples of some valuable features that are missing off Trio so that we can get a sleek user interface and customizable fonts & guide views. How I use it is more important to me than prettier colors or aesthetics. I think I'll go back to Passport if I can't have any of those features. I was skeptical about Trio all along and was hoping they wouldn't change it for me because I really liked Passport, ever since I first used it with Time Warner in 2006. When I'm very happy with something, I don't always believe in "trading up" to the latest & greatest. What gets me is the guys at the Cox store and others said how much everyone loves it better, as if it is a given. I can't believe they can say that without mentioning the functionality you lose from Passport and letting the customer decide if that's worth it to them. They should always be just as open about all the stuff you lose as they are about all the new features. What's the point waiting for a customer to get it all installed then find out on their own?

Is there anywhere online that mentions what you lose going from Passport to Trio? Are there no other posts, threads or forums (or anything on the Web) discussing the differences (pros & cons) of Passport vs. Trio?? I've searched and searched and found none. Any of you seen any before? This would've been invaluable to learn beforehand considering Trio has been out quite some time now.
post #23 of 34 Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, to be fair you named three channels specifically, all sports. And what "24 premium movie channels" are these? Since none of the major premium cable movie channels are free, and since you did not name a single one, I can only assume it's like some movie tier or something.

You're right. I didn't list them. You can go to Cox's website for your area and get an exact list. I said I needed "Plus" for the HD versions of PAC-12 Net and Big Ten NET, and that the soon to be added ESPN 3D would draw others, while some would be drawn by the HD premium movie channels. Your exact channels can be found at:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/tv/channel-lineup.cox?campcode=gn_r_tv_lineup#20

As far as missing things on TRIO that I USED, the FF buffer is about all. But I found that the >> speed has a small buffer, and that will suffice. In the two years I had a 8240/Passport, I used the PIP just once. So I don't really miss it. TRIO's far outweigh any minuses, IMO.
post #24 of 34 Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:

You're right. I didn't list them. You can go to Cox's website for your area and get an exact list. I said I needed "Plus" for the HD versions of PAC-12 Net and Big Ten NET, and that the soon to be added ESPN 3D would draw others, while some would be drawn by the HD premium movie channels. Your exact channels can be found at:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/tv/channel-lineup.cox?campcode=gn_r_tv_lineup#20

As far as missing things on TRIO that I USED, the FF buffer is about all. But I found that the >> speed has a small buffer, and that will suffice. In the two years I had a 8240/Passport, I used the PIP just once. So I don't really miss it. TRIO's far outweigh any minuses, IMO.

Wait, are you saying the Plus Pak is free with these models, or that those channels are available at an extra charge? I don't pay extra for any of those regardless. I can see special programming on premium channels online and I can see movies that I miss at the theater on DVD/Blu-ray and PPV far earlier than premium channels get them. So that is not a factor to me in the least.

If you think having a pretty 16:9 guide is worth losing the FF buffer, PIP, having to jump thru hoops to turn Closed Captions on and off, not being able to go back whatsoever in the guide before the current time and a new issue where I see when hitting the rewind button fast twice on live programs it takes you to the very beginning of the live portion in memory instead of scrolling back like with Passport, that's your prerogative. Of course, this isn't even mentioning the fact the eSATA port is disabled on boxes running Trio.

Again, all these feature losses or "steps backward" matter more to me than aesthetics. Functionality is key. Unless you can tell me some advantages I need or how to get any of these features, I think you've actually helped me make my decision.
post #25 of 34 Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Wait, are you saying the Plus Pak is free with these models, or that those channels are available at an extra charge?

Depends what you mean by those channels. Plus Pak is all HD channels. HD channels are free if you get the SD version. If you watch no HD, you have no need for the Plus Pak channels.
Quote:
If you think having a pretty 16:9 guide is worth losing the FF buffer, PIP, having to jump thru hoops to turn Closed Captions on and off, not being able to go back whatsoever in the guide before the current time...

And now you insist that having a 16:9 guide is the only reason I like TRIO. Not even close. I gave numerous reasons, besides the ability to get the Plus Pak HD channels. There is still a buffer on the 2x FF, the CC fix is upcoming, I used PIP once in 2 years with my 8240/Passport. All of this I've previously mentioned. How far can you go back in time with Passport?
Quote:
Of course, this isn't even mentioning the fact the eSATA port is disabled on boxes running Trio.

eSATA doesn't work with HDC DVRs. It took Cox over a year (or two) to come up with a Passport firmware update to enable eSATA on the 8240HDC, and it only had a 160GB HDD at the time.
post #26 of 34 Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 PM

I already have both 500GB and 1TB DVR expanders, so going down in hard drive size is no issue with me whatsoever, even though now I have the Cisco 8742 w/1 TB and a disabled eSATA port.

Besides the eSATA port not enabled, and barely a buffer on the FF (who uses 2x too zoom thru commercials?!), and the closed captions button not working as well as the PIP, and not going back at all in the guide to see what was on or missed or why something may not have recorded or if it was new, etc. there's another issue I hate. When you are watching live TV, if you hit back button twice to go back, it jumps all the way to the beginning of the point where the DVR started recording, like an hour back. Very frustrating. I guess they want you to hit the replay button a dozen times?

More to the point actually, besides extra premium channels you have to pay for (and which I never order) and the 16:9 guide (which is nice but cosmetic only) what is it you are using or getting out of Trio that you love so much more and is so much more important than the six things I mentioned that you discounted? Do you use the Recommend feature? Do you not know what you're interested in already on TV? I record more than I can watch as it is. As far as search goes, I only use it in the guide which Passport has. I will admit having 13 days of future programming is nice instead of just 6 with Passport, it is hardly that important to me. Plus, the more in the future you look the more likely it will be that the programming may be inaccurate or is subject to change.
post #27 of 34 Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already have both 500GB and 1TB DVR expanders, so going down in hard drive size is no issue with me whatsoever, even though now I have the Cisco 8742 w/1 TB and a disabled eSATA port.

You missed my point entirely. ALL Cisco HDC DVRs have/had the eSATA problem. It has nothing to do with TRIO. The 8420HDC only had a 160GB HDD, so Cox got a LOT of complaints about lack of eSATA (using Passport) and it still took lots of time to come up with a firmware fix. With the 500GB/1TB drives in the 8642HDC/8742HDC, they will get far fewer complaints. Tell Cox you want to run Passport on your 8642HDC (you can, you know.) Still no eSATA. Only the 8420HDC with BRO Passport upgrade or the 8300HD (not HDC) have eSATA enabled.
Quote:
More to the point actually, besides extra premium channels you have to pay for (and which I never order) and the 16:9 guide (which is nice but cosmetic only) what is it you are using or getting out of Trio that you love so much more and is so much more important than the six things I mentioned that you discounted?

First of all, I get NO premium movie channels. As related to you at least twice, I got the 8642HDC/TRIO because it was the only way to receive the HD versions of the PAC-12 and Big Ten channels. At the time, I knew NOTHING about TRIO.

Secondly, I have discounted nothing. Most of your gripes are firmware upgrade items (except the eSATA issue.) As for what I use, I've already been through that. One final time. (1) The guide: SIX different views. The normal grid view, being 16:9, allows me to see the entire Prime Time period in one view. And you call it "cosmetic" only. Can't do that with Passport's 4:3. List view. Able to see 7-8 programs on a channel at once, then continue scrolling through that channel's line-up. See a synopsis of each highlighted program. Scroll or advance page by page. Nice to use when wondering when the next repeat of "Suits" airs, etc. Passport doesn't have this feature. In the Kid's Zone guide, only children's programming is listed. [Choose this as the DEFAULT GUIDE in the children's bedroom, if desired.] In the HDTV View, only HDTV channels are listed. In the Favorite Channels view, only your Favorite Channels are listed. Handy for programming your DVR on your nightly channels. No need to toggle through them all. Zone Channels view. Not sure what this does yet. (2) Multiple users. Nice feature. All of the guides are customizable for different users. For example, I have a second user - SPORTS - who has his FAVORITE CHANNEL guide comprised of just his often viewed/recorded sports channels. Another one is named NEWS, and has just news channels for his FAVORITE CHANNELS. Any of the above can be the DEFAULT GUIDE, and each USER can chose their own DEFAULT GUIDE. But since this is all "cosmetic", I won't go on. If you're really interested, there are plenty of TRIO tutorials at GOOGLE and YouTube. Just the above few features are more important to me than the CC, PIP, and other firmware issues that you keep bringing up. And I get my two needed HD sports channels. You better get used to TRIO, as all new HD programming is destined to be H.264 AVC (MPEG4), and the soon to be introduced 6-tuner Cisco 98xx DVR will be TRIO only on Cox.
Quote:
Do you use the Recommend feature?

I have it turned off for now.
post #28 of 34 Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM

And as I said, I don't need multiple users or those two sports channels you keep heralding. So suffice it to say there are some nice new configurable features and graphics with Trio and several things that are worse. So is that really a step up? "We can add six improvements as long as we take away or downgrade six other features". I don't call that a step up. I call that an "either/or" issue. The problem is, no one mentions any of the stuff you give up if you switch to Trio, things that people like me and many others value. I don't understand the logic in having to remove or downgrade certain features in order to add others. It's a trade-off, not an upgrade. For my purposes, the only things you mentioned that matter to me is the 16:9 view and some custom guide views, but it doesn't make up for me losing the six things I used either regularly or frequently.

Now, had the pros and cons been apparent, I wouldn't be so dismayed. And you never answered if there is anywhere on the freakin' Web that compares and contrasts Trio and Passport objectively, not promotion by Cox but by users or critics. If there is I couldn't find it. And considering Trio has been out as long as it has and there has been ample time for people to use both and contrast and compare, I can't believe I could find nothing online nor was told anything but that "Trio is just far better all around" (yet nothing about the feature loss).
post #29 of 34 Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And as I said, I don't need multiple users or those two sports channels you keep heralding.

I use three of the multiple users myself just for specific favorite channel lists. Didn't think I would at first, but now might add a fourth.

If you DON'T like any of the extra HD channels (now, or the ones they add in the future), DON'T like the 16:9 size guide, DON'T like the six-way configurable guide (including a wide grid view that shows all of prime-time at once, DON'T want multiple favorite-channel lists, DON'T want to wait for future upgrades to solve CC and PIP, etc., then by all means DON'T get TRIO. I sincerely hope you and Passport are happy together (especially when things go to H.264 or the 6-tuner 98xx DVR is released. It won't run on Passport.)
Quote:
And you never answered if there is anywhere on the freakin' Web that compares and contrasts Trio and Passport objectively, not promotion by Cox but by users or critics.

I didn't realize that I was your personal search engine. My mistake.
post #30 of 34 Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 AM

Wow, you really are a complete a-hole buddy, just like I've been reading and hearing about you on here. You must not have many friends in general. I won't bother to copy & paste your last quote because you completely said that I said things I did not (I'm betting people can read though). But I'll stick to the things I actually said. A trade-off is not an upgrade. Period. And guess what? The unit I have now does not have 6 tuners so that point is moot if I trade it in. What a waste of time.

But I do have one exciting bit of news for you: You can add another accomplishment to your list. I am the newest member to block you and your obnoxious, arrogant and egotistical attitude. After initially reading what everyone was saying to you in other discussions I thought I'd give you a chance and not be quick to judge. It's important I make up my own mind regardless of what everyone else is saying. Now, I have. Soon there will just be a forum for all users posts and then one where your posts are visible (albeit only to you, LOL). Have fun talking to yourself on here. biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders