TVGOS VIA THE INTERNET? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Regarding the TVGOS no longer available on the DTVpal DVR:
Sorry if this issue has been discussed already.....
I read somewhere that TVGOS can be retrieved again by using the internet connection on the DTVpal DVR.
Supposedly, it still exists but only via the internet.
Is this true and accurate?
Does it actually work? Is it reliable (or possibly better that the OTA version)?

Has anyone had any experience with this option?

Here is the source of this info.:

http://www.spiffspace.com/forum/index.php?topic=336.0

Thank you in advance for any related comments (or perhaps links to previous threads or info. on this)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Regarding the TVGOS no longer available on the DTVpal DVR:
Sorry if this issue has been discussed already.....
Discussed? More like beaten to death.
Quote:
I read somewhere that TVGOS can be retrieved again by using the internet connection on the DTVpal DVR.
No, it cannot.
When TVGOS is shut off in your area, you are done.
You have only PSIP.

Just go to one of the Pal threads and read back a couple pages to catch up on the discussion.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Neither Channel Master (currrent Pal seller) nor Rovi (who acquired TVGos) will provide firmware to enable internet connection of the Pal with TVGoS.  From TVGos's perspective, the profit is in making you buy another product with an internet version of TVGoS.  Rovi sees the internet connection as the future for multiple forms of entertainment media.   So with the Pal we're stuck with PSIP data only.   Thank goodness for that PSIP-averaging clock.  And for stations responding to the need.  My former TVGos station immediately expanded PSIP to 4 days, and when I looked today, they are within a few hours of 7 days, actually more than I got from TVGoS.  Yay!  Hope other stations follow their lead.

Internet providers of guide data are generally third party providers, and without contracts specifying the length of their obligation, consumers have the same problem we did with PSIP-based TVGos.  Channel Master CM7400 has an un-named third party provider, who contracts with customers once a year, but I believe the fine print gave them an escape clause, so that's not very reassuring.   Rovi is another third party provider of guide info for their own products, but presumably they have a larger reach to other manufacturers.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
In Chicago, many stations provide no PSIP guide info at all.  One channel goes out three days, one four days, but the rest provide from a few hours’ worth to less than twenty-four hours.

There are other sources for the information, but the DTVPal DVR can set an Event Timer only if the timeslot is in the PSIP guide (even if it's for another channel; the channel can be changed).  Without that, you have to set a Manual Timer, which has different characteristics and limited function.  I am not enjoying having to schedule each evening's recordings that same morning or afternoon in order to get the Event Timer functionality.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page