6Likes

post #271 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That's with the 3 TB drive.

You could get by fine with the 1 TB drive on the $400 model.

Lifetime service adds another $500, bringing the total to $900.

However, you can sell it for hundreds after a couple of years, whereas if you pay Comcast $20 a month for 2-3 years, you've paid about $480 to $720 and you don't own the hardware, can't recover any value from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjeff View Post

yeah and the retail price of the new tivo.....$600. I'll pass.

Buying the midlevel Tivo, two terminals, the Moca box and lifetime service costs around $1600. For that investment, at least with my Comcast plan, I would save around $19.00 a month. Would take years to make up difference.

Hopefully Comcast straightens out the X-1 system.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #273 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

How did you get the background to be blue instead of black/gray?
post #274 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

How did you get the background to be blue instead of black/gray?

I want to know that as well????smile.gif
post #275 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

1) You'll more than likely have an issue here.

2) The X1 is in the Harmony database.

The page up/down can be set to skip 5 minutes or 30 seconds, forwards or reverse.

You can't learn these two IR commands because it's the STB that is controlling the change in skip timing.

Well that sucks all around. I might be able to mitigate #1, #2 will just be a PITA and #3 is unacceptable. I use both 30 second and 5 min. forward and back all the time. I guess I had better wait and save myself $50 and a bunch of time wasted. I really don't need the new functionality as my Moca box is very stable right now (I can hear the HD crashing as I type this). Any idea if they will fix it to allow both 30 sec. and 5 min. in the future?
post #276 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Some people are talking like there are no issues with the OLD DVRs...

My old DCX DVRs from time to time would not record programs. The show would be in the menu like it recorded - but nothing would show when I attempted to play it.

The X1 with its bugs is still WAAAAY better than the DCX with its.

That is true of the DCX I think the 3400. However the box I have now a Moto Moca with 500G drive has never done three things my old 250G mot DCX did to me; inexplicably not record a program when there were no conflicts both watching it and not (not much difference between power on and off on that unit). Ending up with recordings I could not play like your comment above or even worse recordings that would hang somewhere in he middle and randomly loosing scheduled series recording entries. The latter was due to channel number changes in our area when they started getting rid of analog. It happened 3 times to different sets of series schedules each time they did it and it was never the ones they moved. Had them scratching their heads and it was never explained. Each time it was good for 20 buck discount on my account however. I ding them for that every time they waste my time by fiddling with things and messing up my system. I haven't had one of these issues in over 18 months since I moved. The only issues with my current box I have had is that twice I have had to power cycle it when it got stuck after firmware updates and a while back I would get no pic but sound sometimes when I would power up the system. I was able to fix that with the "resolution" IR code that I learnt my Harmony from the dar grey remote after I learnt it from an older Comcast remote. I'm glad I have that function in my Harmony database since it has saved my bacon several times. It's only after Comcast fools with updates either firmware or software or makes guide changes that I have issues. The pic but no sound issue went away after that the last couple updates, at least after system power up. I did have some issues after Comcast did yet another update to something a couple weeks ago. Also one night about 11p within the last couple weeks someone at Comcast hit my box and rebooted it. It might have done it itself, but I doubt that. Every once in a while I catch them doing that. I would imagine they are messing and tweaking the system and don't realize what they are doing causes or requires a "hit" to the box. Now that my box is getting long in the teeth it might be freezing and rebooting due to disc errors? Who knows, if it craps out I will just have the tech, come out and swap it.
post #277 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Well that sucks all around. I might be able to mitigate #1, #2 will just be a PITA and #3 is unacceptable. I use both 30 second and 5 min. forward and back all the time. I guess I had better wait and save myself $50 and a bunch of time wasted. I really don't need the new functionality as my Moca box is very stable right now (I can hear the HD crashing as I type this). Any idea if they will fix it to allow both 30 sec. and 5 min. in the future?
What was #3 again? I've sleep since then.

I wouldn't hold my breath on more remote features. Not anytime in the near future. I imagine they have a list of things a mile long already.

Last night I tried learning some raw commands into my Harmony One.
30 sec x 5 key presses, then a macro of two of those, to get a 3 minute skip. (Average 1hr TV show commercial length).

I played around with it for a while using sequences etc, and I could only get a two minute skip.

I never learned raw commands before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing either.
post #278 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What was #3 again? I've sleep since then.

I wouldn't hold my breath on more remote features. Not anytime in the near future. I imagine they have a list of things a mile long already.

Last night I tried learning some raw commands into my Harmony One.
30 sec x 5 key presses, then a macro of two of those, to get a 3 minute skip. (Average 1hr TV show commercial length).

I played around with it for a while using sequences etc, and I could only get a two minute skip.

I never learned raw commands before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing either.

#1 HDMI handshake issues with possible audio cut out and revert to 720p which sound like I may or may not have that issue.
#2 I was asking if they are using the old remote or a new one and if the codes are the same. From what I read here there is a new fancy remote and the X1 is in the Harmony database. I assume that I will have some programming to do.

There was no #3 I was just responding to the things you mentioned that I might have issues with. The skip thing may or may not be an issue.

Rather than monkey with raw IR codes. Why not just write a macro to send 6 skips in succession with or without pauses depending on how responsive the remote and actual skip function is. I have wrote dozens of Harmony macro sequences with very good success. Back in the olden days I used to have to mute the speakers in my current Samsung TV for some activities (because I had the passthru option set for the family could watch without the AVR on). I did not like the mute block that stayed on the TV so I wrote a complicated sequence that went into the TV menu and turned of the speakers as there was no easy one code to send the TV other than "mute". I never did try to see if the mute indicator would go away after a few min. like on some tv's. I didn't like the block moving around on the screen anyhow since that coupled with my OCD would not be a good combo ;-) Anyhow I had both an off and on sequence. Each time I chose a new activity if it needed mute it ran the off one and at power down or activity switch it would run the on one so it would work when the family turned it on. It worked flawlessly and only messed up if someone had the remote under a blanket or not out in the open to send the codes. In that case all they had to do is hit help and follow the yellow brick road and eventually they would get sound back.

I am really at a loss on this one. I guess I will try it out Saturday and see how bad it is. Either way, I'm keeping my old DVR even if they make me hook it up in another room on an old analog TV/VCR combo my son has. I think the box I have now is a moto dcx3510-M or maybe a dcx3501-M. I know it is not a 3400 since that is what I had in my old house and only had a 250G HD and less than half the capacity of this one. I have found that roughly ~3% of storage on the 3400 with 250G equals an hour of HD recording. On the new one it is 1% and it is able to do the newer higher compression codecs. So I got 33 hours of HD on the old one and close to 100 hours on the new. Actually I looked the other day and I have ~80 hours of recordings and ~65% of my space used according to the menu. It's been a great box and I hate to get rid of it.
post #279 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rather than monkey with raw IR codes. Why not just write a macro to send 6 skips in succession with or without pauses depending on how responsive the remote and actual skip function is.

Because you can only do five sequences in a macro.

Five 30 second skips would only get me a 2.5 minute skip.

Maybe there is another way?
post #280 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:

1) You'll more than likely have an issue here.

2) The X1 is in the Harmony database.

The page up/down can be set to skip 5 minutes or 30 seconds, forwards or reverse.

You can't learn these two IR commands because it's the STB that is controlling the change in skip timing.

How do you you set the page up/down to skip 30 seconds?
post #281 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex22 View Post

How do you you set the page up/down to skip 30 seconds?

The page up button (pg) is set by default to skip forward 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. Page down will will skip back 15 seconds.

From the xfinity xr2 remote, press the "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".
It will look as if you're entering a channel number on screen, FYI.

Then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press the "pg up" button. .

To restore skip back to 5 minutes:

You follow the same process indicated above, but instead of 0030, you use 0500.
post #282 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Odd, maybe it is different for the various Harmony's. I have an older not really fancy one, but it allows like a dozen devices and that is why I keep using it. I also have in a box in the closet for when this one finally craps out. It used to be silver, but is more black now that the paint has worn off. Still works like a champ after over 5-6 years. I use rechargable batteries and have to swap them out only about every month or two depending in use and the particular set of batteries.

The macro I mentioned had way more than 5 steps. More like a dozen since each direction, menu, etc. etc. had to be programed in. I think you can also write a macro and then tell it to execute it a set number of times? It's been ages since I have messed with it. I haven't even added a newish Yammy BD/SACD/DVD0-Audio player I bought over a year ago to it. I have just been using it's remote since I don't use it that often.

I will have to play around one of these days to remember what is possible with the macros.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #283 of 1671 Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 PM

setting page up/down to 30 seconds is very helpful for ondemand shows that disable the FF function. The page up button will still work to skip the commercials. smile.gif you're welcome.
tkoui likes this.
post #284 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 10
Can an X1 satellite box pause live TV ?

AdrianG
post #285 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG View Post

Can an X1 satellite box pause live TV ?

It cannot pause, rewind, FF live TV.

Robert
post #286 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM

Thanks , I will cancel the X1 install.

AdrianG
post #287 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

I'm guessing if this is the case then it's not using a tuner on the main box either. The initial DirecTV Genie (HR34) with the H25 terminals worked the same way. Live TV was not pausable but did not consume a tuner on the main DVR. You could hit record from the remote location and then have access to DVR functions, which would also use up on one of the five available tuners.

Later, they introduced a box that always consumed a tuner, but it allowed full DVR access as well as OTA access if you had it configured on the Genie.

Drawbacks either way, but I think I'd prefer to not use up an available tuner unless I asked for it.
post #288 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm guessing if this is the case then it's not using a tuner on the main box either. The initial DirecTV Genie (HR34) with the H25 terminals worked the same way. Live TV was not pausable but did not consume a tuner on the main DVR. You could hit record from the remote location and then have access to DVR functions, which would also use up on one of the five available tuners.

Later, they introduced a box that always consumed a tuner, but it allowed full DVR access as well as OTA access if you had it configured on the Genie.

Drawbacks either way, but I think I'd prefer to not use up an available tuner unless I asked for it.

I considered the possibility of replacing my two PR150s with two more DVRs, but I couldn't justify the expense.

Robert
post #289 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM

How much of the X1 is cloud based?

To me, it looks like at least part of the guide is pulled on-demand from the server. What else (besides On Demand) is cloud-based in the current system?

It does seem like the box gets a little sluggish when all time zones are in prime time. I'm in the eastern time zone, and at least so far it seems that from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m. the box gets a bit slower to respond - possibly when all time zones are home from work and watching TV. I could also be a coincidence as the number of data points I have is still pretty small, but I'd be interested to know if others see this,

Everything's still working pretty good for me. It's getting boring... I thought being an early adopter would be keeping me busier! smile.gif The X2 demo videos on YouTube look really great. I hope it's ready in more markets in less time than is typical for Comcast.

Jeff
post #290 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
steve & indy,

the background color are standard. I didn't change any settings.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #291 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

I use a URC remote and have two macros: One for a 30 second skip and one for a 5 min skip. Each macro is assigned to a separate button.

ED
post #292 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much of the X1 is cloud based?

To me, it looks like at least part of the guide is pulled on-demand from the server. What else (besides On Demand) is cloud-based in the current system?
Everything except live TV and On Demand is cloud based.

The Guide, Apps, Recomendations, Episode Guides, DVR scheduling, supposedly soon to be DVR recordings (network DVR), are all cloud based.

I don't believe On Demand is network based. It's still delivered the same as live TV via QAM.

The DSLReports X1 thread would be a good place to verify that, though.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27805390-X1-Xfinity-X1-now-available-to-New-Customers~start=1170
post #293 of 1671 Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see why the couldn't have just put enough flash memory in the satellite STB's for 1 hour of buffer to pause.

But I guess they'd rather us pay for the extra DVR's.
post #294 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have the old silver remote on their X1 box? The tech left me with that remote and I haven't had any luck getting the 30 second skip programmed to it. Is it just the old programming code as it was with the Motorola box?

- andy
post #295 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweiss02 View Post

Does anyone have the old silver remote on their X1 box? The tech left me with that remote and I haven't had any luck getting the 30 second skip programmed to it. Is it just the old programming code as it was with the Motorola box?
You should not have gotten that remote.
post #296 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweiss02 View Post

If you, or anyone, still wants to use the old silver URC remote with the X1 (instead of their very stupid un-intuitive replacement x1 remote [i don't know why they do not think that people with an HD TV and a HD-DVR latest STB would have a receiver with speakers as well?!?! apparently they only care for you to have a control over a TV volume/speaker?!?!?! I desperately needed the old remote to work as I refuse, after years upon years of being able to adjust volume on this remote, to use another remote simply for volume..]), there's this wonderful thread that will show you EVERYTHING! I ended up learning so much more about the URC/EFC remotes and it even allowed me to learn how to program buttons on my silver remote that I previously thought was not possible! You can find the thread HERE: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469894/comcast-x1-box-how-to-use-old-remote-control

A word of warning though: it is pretty complicated sifting through, researching, and reading through all pertinent info and getting this all working and/or customizing it to your preferences if you want more than the default buttons to work. Try not to get frustrated or discouraged and hang in there...

Also...as for the commercial skips button/setting... apparently, at least for the X1, you can customize the length of time for the skip to any seconds/minutes you want. I haven't implemented/tried this, but supposedly after the EXITx3, the #### after it is fully customizable; for 30 seconds --> 0030, for 5 mins -->0500, for 45 seconds -->0045 for 6 mins -->0600 for 86 seconds -->0086 etc. The pattern should be obvious. Again, this is just what I've read elsewhere and I have not tested it out, but it makes logical sense and seems to work for them...

Hope these all help...
post #297 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

That's great info. The XR2 can control an AVR, sound bar, etc...
post #298 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I thought I would hate not having a 30 second skip but now I don't care.

The fast forwarding is so smooth it is very easy easy to FF at x2 or x3 speed and easily hit play again when the commercials are over. The X1 backs you up a bit from where you hit play to compensate for your response time. Works great.
post #299 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

Huh?

https://x1.comcast.net/webportal/web?q=faqs.html

Watching TV:
Q: How long can I pause live TV?

A: The pause length varies based on the type of channel you are watching. You can pause and rewind for up to 90 minutes of standard-definition programming and pause and rewind up to 30 minutes of high-definition programming.

The buffer size for XFINITY TV is 30 minutes for HD and 90 minutes for SD.

Q: How far back can I rewind live TV?

A: DVR creates a buffer of a program you are watching as long as you remain tuned into that program. You can rewind up to 90 minutes of standard-definition programming and up to 30 minutes of high-definition programming.

The buffer size for XFINITY TV is 30 minutes for HD and 90 minutes for SD.
post #300 of 1671 Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post

I refuse, after years upon years of being able to adjust volume on this remote, to use another remote simply for volume

Scroll back in this thread a page or two. CaptainVideoJW gave instructions on how to control a receiver with the X1 remote.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page