Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #361 of 1670 Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Well. I can say that this box scales about a 100 times better than the Moto boxes. That was the worst thing I have ever seen. I have my downstairs main box set at 1080i since I also have component connected for when I'm not using surround sound. I found that to be a problem with the changing resolution, also. I have my upstairs boxes set to 1080p since only HDMI is used. For PQ, I don't see a difference between 1080i/p. It's going to get there anyways whether it's by the STB, TV, or video processor/receiver. Just a matter of finding which one you like best.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1670 Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

I received the new build also and noticed that my clock & on button were still set to "1" and that the resolution was set to 1080P60Hz as I had set them the day before. The resolution and lights had been changing as had everybody's' else's when the box was hit at night. A step in the right direction. Don't know what else it "fixed" or "broke".

I think this has been fixed! I did a reset and 1080p and my brightness stayed at my preferred setting cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #363 of 1670 Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Not even close to fixed. It's now moving from one box to the next. Here is the new resolution error that is affecting both video and audio with DVR material.

I recorded some programs on the main X1 box. All were HD and DD5.1. I went to watch them on my bedroom TV. One of the ones I said I keep at 1080p. Selected the program, Video immediately went to 720p. I was unable to change it in the menu, said my TV could not support it. In addition, the audio would only play in stereo, unable to change that also. Exit out and the receiver it is still in stereo and fixed resolution, but I was able to change it back.

Having been a beta tester for Dish for many years, I have never seen stbs that have so many problems and bugs, especially like this. Here, fixed, back, fixed, back again.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #364 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 AM
los

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine seems to have deleted all recordings overnight. Even though the programs are listed in the priority manager, it shows no scheduled recordings. The programs are in the 'trash can' but do not show a 'put back' option.

Fixing the brightness wasn't worth this...

Carlos
post #365 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Not even close to fixed. It's now moving from one box to the next. Here is the new resolution error that is affecting both video and audio with DVR material.

I recorded some programs on the main X1 box. All were HD and DD5.1. I went to watch them on my bedroom TV. One of the ones I said I keep at 1080p. Selected the program, Video immediately went to 720p. I was unable to change it in the menu, said my TV could not support it. In addition, the audio would only play in stereo, unable to change that also. Exit out and the receiver it is still in stereo and fixed resolution, but I was able to change it back.

Having been a beta tester for Dish for many years, I have never seen stbs that have so many problems and bugs, especially like this. Here, fixed, back, fixed, back again.

S~

I'm not sure what the fixation with 1080p is - there is no content available at 1080p on Comcast, and all TVs that are 1080i can do a very easy upconvert to 1080p. It's not really a conversion at all.

And with all the other little issues that are affecting some of the X1 boxes, do you really think the X1 1080i-1080p scaler is better than your television's? smile.gif
post #366 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

It's not a fixation. It is a problem that should not be happening unless they are writing their own HDMI codeand tables similar to what Dish did with the 811, 622. PPV is available in 1080p. Anyways, I explained in my previous post about resolution, scaling, and why I have the remote box set to 1080p. I was not affected by the 720p/1080p bug on the remote box before. This new bug affects DVR'd material no matter what the resolution is set to (720p, 1080i, or 1080p). When playing DVR'd material on the remote box with anyroom, the resolution locks, can revert to 720p (happened once and I was set to 1080i), and will not play the DD5.1 audio, It will only play stereo. It will not change to surround even in the setup menu. When trying to change the resolution to any other resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) the message says your TV is not compatible. Upon exiting back to live TV, the resolution and stereo audio is locked, but is able to be changed back to the desired audio and video setting in the menu. They seriously need a Native Mode.

S~

post #367 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

It's not a fixation. It is a problem that should not be happening unless they are writing their own HDMI codeand tables similar to what Dish did with the 811, 622. PPV is available in 1080p. Anyways, I explained in my previous post about resolution, scaling, and why I have the remote box set to 1080p. I was not affected by the 720p/1080p bug on the remote box before. This new bug affects DVR'd material no matter what the resolution is set to (720p, 1080i, or 1080p). When playing DVR'd material on the remote box with anyroom, the resolution locks, can revert to 720p (happened once and I was set to 1080i), and will not play the DD5.1 audio, It will only play stereo. It will not change to surround even in the setup menu. When trying to change the resolution to any other resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) the message says your TV is not compatible. Upon exiting back to live TV, the resolution and stereo audio is locked, but is able to be changed back to the desired audio and video setting in the menu. They seriously need a Native Mode.

S~

Agreed!!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #368 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

i'm switching one of the dvr boxes on Friday. one keeps downgrading to 720p & still no 5.1 surround while watching on demand shows.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #369 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think changing it out will make a difference.

S~

post #370 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

S~

You are absolutely correct. The bugs on this system are shocking. I'm very close to giving up and getting a direct tv install done. I've missed recordings, cannot fast forward without fear of the whole system crashing, since it happens at least once a night.
tkoui likes this.
post #371 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

I was a Beta tester for 8 years for Dish. I had boxes before they were released and rarely had any problems like this, especially ones that keep reoccuring.

S~

post #372 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

S~

Access of the main DVR from remote boxes isn't supposed to be active/supported yet. Al least what the installer told me when I had mine installed about 3 weeks ago.

It will be availalble this fall.
post #373 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 17
Well, now i feel like an a-hole. Tech called this morning to see why i just wanted an amp dropped off and not installed. Was kinda rude to him as i have had it up to here with comcast. he suggested maybe a different splitter, I said, oh ive tried a few. Well, i pull another one out of the drawer and tried again and....voila! everything on the dvr and all stb's work fine, all levels are good. ughh, maybe it will be intermittent and i should install the amp anyways. but for now im just happy it all works and i can get my wired internet back.
post #374 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Access of the main DVR from remote boxes isn't supposed to be active/supported yet. Al least what the installer told me when I had mine installed about 3 weeks ago.

It will be availalble this fall.
Explain what you mean by this, please. We're talking about anyroom, which is active.

S~

post #375 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

I just received a $100 credit for the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus I had to purchase to 'fix' the 720P reset issue from Comcast Executive Resolutions!

#Wining
Captain, my Captain, what is the secret sauce to contacting Comcast Executive Relations? No one at Comcrap that I have spoke to in the past couple days has heard of or will fess up to it or has a number/secret option on the phone tree hell to get there. I still have not been able to get ahold of the correct people to get the X1 installed to my liking, security system is still messed up and the SyFy guide in my area for HD is 3 hours off and has been for over a week (could that have anything to do with a failed X1 install, I hope they don't have the power with that system to manipulate the feeds you get on cable channels or to mess up the guides on EVERY Comcast platform. application and website). They have me locked in to triple for another 8 mo. and another 20 on security. $750 to bail out, which is what I am tempted to do. Others want my Inet business bad, plenty of TV options out there now with Aereo, streaming etc. and I can keep my ZBee devices and install a different console for just the cost of it. Phone service could be disconnected, but I use it for work so that could go VoIP very easily either through work, Vonage or any of the cheep solutions out there.
post #376 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

Quote:

S~

I'm not sure what the fixation with 1080p is - there is no content available at 1080p on Comcast, and all TVs that are 1080i can do a very easy upconvert to 1080p. It's not really a conversion at all.

And with all the other little issues that are affecting some of the X1 boxes, do you really think the X1 1080i-1080p scaler is better than your television's? smile.gif

This is why I switched my box from 1080p/60hz back to 1080i. No reason to have the box set to 1080p when Comcast don't broadcast any 1080p material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex22 View Post

Quote:

S~

You are absolutely correct. The bugs on this system are shocking. I'm very close to giving up and getting a direct tv install done. I've missed recordings, cannot fast forward without fear of the whole system crashing, since it happens at least once a night.

Good luck with Directv. I had it for 2 years and it was a pain in the ass. Never failed to go out during thunderstorms, snow storms or high winds. Plus their customer service is garbage.
post #377 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Explain what you mean by this, please. We're talking about anyroom, which is active.

S~
Yes please elaborate. I can't think of any reason other then more tuners that someone would install X1 at this point with out the "terminal" devices being able to watch DVR recordings from the hub. After all that is the reason for more space (on par with the Moto MoCa boxes) and more tuners.
post #378 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

No one at Comcrap that I have spoke to in the past couple days has heard of or will fess up to it or has a number/secret option on the phone tree hell to get there.

It's probably because you call them Comcrap... rolleyes.gif
post #379 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10
Steve1971:

I sent you a PM.

ED
post #380 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

It's probably because you call them Comcrap... rolleyes.gif
Not to their face or on the phone. I was actually nice today and had a good long 2 hour conversation with a bunch of folks. Still nothing is resolved....
post #381 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

This is why I switched my box from 1080p/60hz back to 1080i. No reason to have the box set to 1080p when Comcast don't broadcast any 1080p material.
Good luck with Directv. I had it for 2 years and it was a pain in the ass. Never failed to go out during thunderstorms, snow storms or high winds. Plus their customer service is garbage.
As I said, this is a problem no matter what the resolution is set to. Sorry you had difficulty with Direct. I was extremely pleased the two years I was with them before moving over to Comcast. My switch was due to phone/internet, otherwise I would have stayed with them.

S~

post #382 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh yeah View Post

Yes, IndyJeff, I'm wondering the same thing about such widely varying experiences. It's the reason I'm asking for advice before I get X1. Thanks for your feedback!

I think it is different cable systems in different areas.
post #383 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM

I have an X1 install in 10 days and have a question about my setup.

I will have TWO Comcast X1 DVRs (one for master bedroom, one for family room) and TWO satellite boxes on other tvs. I have been told by Comcast phone reps that the satellite boxes can only view recordings from ONE of the hub DVRs and the other X1 DVR will essentially be a standalone, unable to see anything other than what it records directly and unable to send out anything it records to the other boxes. While that is still acceptable to me it seems reading the forums it is actually untrue.

So... in my setup is there a way to get all four boxes, 2 DVRs and 2 satelittle boxes to ALL be able to share content? I would LOVE to be able record something on one DVR and see it on the other DVR for example and to have both satellite boxes be able to view content recorded on either DVR...

I just want to know what is possible so that I can be sure the installer sets it up correctly...

(PS: really excited about X1 replacing my current setup of 3 standalone DVRs and 1 HD box.)
post #384 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 23
I have two DVR's and two satellites and they all seem to see what is on both DVR's, including the DVR's being able to see what is recorded on the other. But I have AnyRoom.

Robert
post #385 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM

You have "Anyroom" ... isn't that default now? I am coming from a 3 Moto DVR / 1 HD box household with no previous Anyroom. I like the idea of this new setup for the better looking guides/search and the ability to share the recordings of two X1 DVRs with each other and wtih 2 satelittle boxes... actually costs me less for essentially the same/better functionality I have now. I just worry because about 20% of the Comcast people I talk to and 20% of the posts I see online seem to imply Anyroom doesn't work if you have more that 1 X1 DVR in your household while another 80% say it works fine. I don't understand why Comcast reps can't get their story straight and I am rightfully nervous the techs will show to install and say sorry, you can only have 1 X1 DVR or something...
post #386 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 23
AnyRoom wasn't available in my area when I got the two DVR's and two pr150 satellites. I had to have it added to my account to get it turned on. It seems different areas of the country have wildly different levels of x1 service.

Robert
post #387 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM

X1 installation went well today. The guy was knowledgeable and friendly. One DVR and one non-DVR working well so far. Video resolution, clock and power light settings are retained, caller ID works. I like the guide.

However, I've gotten SO much misinfo from Comcast reps in the past week over the phone. I was told that a "filter" would have to be installed on the cable outside the house. Not true. When I asked the installer guy about the "filter," he had no idea what I was talking about.

Also, the Comcast website is horrible. It's hard to believe that a company with Comcast's enormous resources would settle for such a primitive, clunky, poorly designed website. It's a decade behind. Note to Comcast: Check apple.com to experience a website that works.

Thanks for the insights regarding X1, everyone. I learned a lot from reading this thread. Very helpful!
post #388 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM

I had X1 partially installed on Monday (Tech fell down the stairs and sprained her ankle - Long story) and when they used the device to test the signal levels, all the levels were correct. I had Comcast come back today to finish the install (Just install the Filter on the amp and connect 1 more box) and the Tech checked the levels on one of the TVs using the built in menu and they were correct. I just checked the levels on the other 2 TVs and they do not have good levels. When the first tech was here he said to not let the upstream level get above 53. Well, on 2 of the Tvs the upstream is at 54. What should I do?

AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
post #389 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Still not possible for a customer to install an X1 without a tech visit, I gather?  That's a dealbreaker for me.
post #390 of 1670 Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Still not possible for a customer to install an X1 without a tech visit, I gather?  That's a dealbreaker for me.

Sadly no. X1 is far from being self installed. X1 requires a filter which 80% of customers don't know how to do. Even when techs are installing the gear, they still run into problems and they have to trouble shoot for 20-30 minutes and call HQ to fix it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page