Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #451 of 1781 Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The X1 clearly has multiple personalities. Or maybe it's at the mercy of what's happening up in the "cloud". Last night I had not a single problem, and it was recording a lot of things simultaneously while I was using the DVR and flipping channels. It sure feels like we're just one good update away from a really good system.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1781 Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

I think you may be in the wrong thread friend.

I think he was just saying he has the same issue on his motorola box as someone here had on their X1 box, so he does not think it is spacific equipment problem but rather a Comcast problem
post #453 of 1781 Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone figured out a way to use either of the HDMI inputs on the box? I'd love to be able to access my Chromecast through one of these.

Thanks!
kmitche likes this.
post #454 of 1781 Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
X1_UserGuide_July2013.pdf 3220k .pdf file

Q3 User Guide

I found this on one of the other X1 chat rooms. I have not fully read thru it to see what has changed, but it was updated in July.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X1_UserGuide_July2013.pdf (3.14 MB, 86 views)
post #455 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfactor3 View Post

Has anyone figured out a way to use either of the HDMI inputs on the box? I'd love to be able to access my Chromecast through one of these.

Thanks!

They aren't activated. This question has also been asked on the Comcast X1 forums.

Robert
post #456 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 12
I just had 3 x1 DVR's installed and networked. They replaced 3 older DVR's that I was having all kinds of trouble with. I like the new setup and it's been trouble free so far. I have a couple of questions.

1. Each DVR shows all recorded programming and all scheduled programming - regardless of the source I used to schedule the program. Is this how it's supposed to work?

2 When the install was done I had to designate one of the DVRs as the default DVR. Does anyone know what the functions of the default DVR are?

3. I can record 4 programs at once while watching a fifth. It appears that all the recording is done on the default DVR. When do the other DVR's record?

I appreciate any info.
post #457 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamok View Post

I just had 3 x1 DVR's installed and networked. They replaced 3 older DVR's that I was having all kinds of trouble with. I like the new setup and it's been trouble free so far. I have a couple of questions.

1. Each DVR shows all recorded programming and all scheduled programming - regardless of the source I used to schedule the program. Is this how it's supposed to work?

2 When the install was done I had to designate one of the DVRs as the default DVR. Does anyone know what the functions of the default DVR are?

3. I can record 4 programs at once while watching a fifth. It appears that all the recording is done on the default DVR. When do the other DVR's record?

I appreciate any info.

1. This is the way it works now...

I don't think they intended most customers to only have 1 DVR. Dumb, I know. As of now there is no way to filter what is coming from multiple DVRs.

2. The default DVR is for purposes of the satellite (non-DVR STB's). Say you have a STB in your bedroom and you'd like those recording to record to the DVR in your media room, set it as the default DVR for that box. Et cetera

3. This goes back to question 2 that I think I answered. Hopefully. smile.gif If there is still a question hit me up.
RobertWy likes this.
post #458 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info. When would the "non-default" DVRs record? When there are more than 4 recordings scheduled at one time? When the default box is filled?
post #459 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. When would the "non-default" DVRs record? When there are more than 4 recordings scheduled at one time? When the default box is filled?
No, it's not setup that way.

DVR B records when you're in that room and tell it to or schedule a recording. You can also schedule recordings to different DVR's from the apps and Xfinity website.
post #460 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Nope - no matter which room I set the recordings up in the default does the recording. Trying to change the room of the recording after the fact on the Xfinity website doesn't seem to work because the info doesn't change. Where are the apps that I can schedule the recordings on?

Thanks for helping me out on this.
post #461 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM
los

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No answers yet, but just to say I have similar questions. I have 2 X1s, but near as I can tell only the 'default' is doing any recording at all. If the 2nd isn't going to record, then is there any benefit to having 2 DVR instead of 1 DVR and 1 Satellite?

Carlos
post #462 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post

No answers yet, but just to say I have similar questions. I have 2 X1s, but near as I can tell only the 'default' is doing any recording at all. If the 2nd isn't going to record, then is there any benefit to having 2 DVR instead of 1 DVR and 1 Satellite?

Whether you have Anyroom or not might make a difference. I have Anyroom, 2 DVR's and two "companions". The companions' remotes are sluggish and I wish I could afford 4 DVR's so everyone could pause, rewind and fast forward live shows.

I've had X1 for months and I'm still trying to figure out which shows record where.

Robert
post #463 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post

In my case the "Default DVR" is definitely doing all the recording. My concern is what would happen if I wanted to record more than 4 programs at the same time. Even though I have 3 DVR's with 12 tuners capable of recording - I'm not sure how I would arrange this. Any one have a suggestion?

Of course it would be ideal if you could designate the recording site when you schedule the program.
post #464 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

post #465 of 1781 Old 09-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:

In my case the "Default DVR" is definitely doing all the recording. My concern is what would happen if I wanted to record more than 4 programs at the same time. Even though I have 3 DVR's with 12 tuners capable of recording - I'm not sure how I would arrange this. Any one have a suggestion?

Of course it would be ideal if you could designate the recording site when you schedule the program.

I think you should set up a recording schedule to try it and see what happens. cool.gif
post #466 of 1781 Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Thanks Captain,

I have these apps but they don't seem to work. For instance, I tried to use my iPhone app to make a change in the recording site for "Boardwalk Empire" on Sunday but instead it deleted the recording entirely when I changed it from the default DVR.
post #467 of 1781 Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
I just got this X1 a few weeks ago, and I have noticed something that doesn't seem to have been discussed. I noticed that the audio output volume is a lot lower than on the old box. I tried to see if there was a way to adjust the volume on the box itself, but it doesn't seem like there is. Has anyone else noticed this, or found a way to adjust it?
post #468 of 1781 Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

I just got this X1 a few weeks ago, and I have noticed something that doesn't seem to have been discussed. I noticed that the audio output volume is a lot lower than on the old box. I tried to see if there was a way to adjust the volume on the box itself, but it doesn't seem like there is. Has anyone else noticed this, or found a way to adjust it?

It has been mentioned several times on the Comcast X1 forums. I have to turn the volume up higher on my AVR to compensate for this. There is no way to adjust it on the X1.

Robert
post #469 of 1781 Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I just tried to extend a recording for 60 minutes and it only allows an extra five minutes. This program frequently gets interrupted by sports by way more than five minutes. Live events allow at least an hour extra. I think my old box allowed extension of any program for one and a half hours frown.gif
post #470 of 1781 Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Liked: 17
now that i have used the box for a few weeks. My biggest complaint is how the guide freezes up if you are using it when the hour changes.
post #471 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Did anybody lose the ability to adjust the brightness of the power button on the satellite boxes? With the last update, that option was removed and now my bedroom is neon green at night. Very annoying. Otherwise, everything has worked great recently.

post #472 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

I just tried to extend a recording for 60 minutes and it only allows an extra five minutes. This program frequently gets interrupted by sports by way more than five minutes. Live events allow at least an hour extra. I think my old box allowed extension of any program for one and a half hours frown.gif

The only work around for this at the moment is to use online DVR Manager. You can still extend any program by up to 2 hours. But, beware, when viewing an extended program, once you get into the "extended" part of the recording, you will not be able to resume if you stop playback. You will have to start at the beginning and FF/Skip to the point where you left off. Comcast is aware of this and hopefully will resolve soon.
post #473 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

The only work around for this at the moment is to use online DVR Manager. You can still extend any program by up to 2 hours. But, beware, when viewing an extended program, once you get into the "extended" part of the recording, you will not be able to resume if you stop playback. You will have to start at the beginning and FF/Skip to the point where you left off. Comcast is aware of this and hopefully will resolve soon.

I just record the next show.
post #474 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Yep, that will work as well. But that causes a gap in between when one show ends right in the middle of a scene.
post #475 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Well, just got my system installed yesterday (X1 DVR, 3 regular X1 boxes) and man could I not put it down!! However, reading this thread is like a horror story, so I hope I don't uncover some of these problems over time.

Only thing I hate is the very BAD delay between button presses on the remote and it actually happening on screen. It seems to only happen if you hadn't used the remote for a while, but then it gets a little better. I did have one regular box 'lock up' on me where audio kept playing but the guide/overlay was just frozen on the screen. Had to manually hit the power button and all was fine when it came back on.

I read somewhere in this thread that one should use the 'Surround' audio option for AVRs. I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 running HDMI passthru and all that, when I changed to 'Stereo' audio was only coming from the center channel, so I immediately switched back to stereo. So I guess I will leave them all on that for a while...

Anyways, I am looking forward to keeping up with this thread. I am in Houston too and see that CaptainVideoJW is very active in here, so good luck everyone! I've just committed my life to television and after signing up for Triple Play with HD Premier, so has $250+ a month when my promo expires..
post #476 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 16
I've found that changing the remote from its default infrared mode to RF mode makes the remote more responsive.
post #477 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Yep, that will work as well. But that causes a gap in between when one show ends right in the middle of a scene.
Not if you record it on a different tuner with some overlap.
post #478 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Not if you record it on a different tuner with some overlap.

Makes sense. But, I could imagine with all the issues X1 has, recording the same program on 2 tuners would make it explode. smile.gif
jonjeff likes this.
post #479 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by token2k6 View Post

Only thing I hate is the very BAD delay between button presses on the remote and it actually happening on screen. It seems to only happen if you hadn't used the remote for a while, but then it gets a little better. I did have one regular box 'lock up' on me where audio kept playing but the guide/overlay was just frozen on the screen. Had to manually hit the power button and all was fine when it came back on.

That is the trick. Hit that Power button on the box each day, wait 2 seconds, and hit it again to turn it back on. Makes the experience so much better with reducing any freezing, etc. with the menus and such. Too bad we can't create some kind of automator script to do that for us each day on each box! rolleyes.gif
post #480 of 1781 Old 09-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

I've found that changing the remote from its default infrared mode to RF mode makes the remote more responsive.

How is this done?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page