Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 1794 Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
ComcastKara in the forums said they changed the power off on the remote on purpose. Whatever.
You can still turn it off from the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1794 Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

The new Send To TV feature works on my DVR. I was surprised, being I'm still on the 5/23/13 firmware.

post #33 of 1794 Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

post #34 of 1794 Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

the green ring on / off light is now gone. i was told the x1 box is always on.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #35 of 1794 Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Gone from the settings menu? Or literally isn't illuminating from the front of the box?
post #36 of 1794 Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

duh me,

in my setting I turned off the light in front of box. the remote will not cut off the box!!

June
post #37 of 1794 Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

ComcastKara in the forums said they changed the power off on the remote on purpose. Whatever.
You can still turn it off from the box.
post #38 of 1794 Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had two x1 s installed today....no Comcast installer or customer service person able to explain operation! The x1 does record four programs, but both x1s record the same programs! Not possible to program different programs on the two units. Plus, both units have the program lineup for Central NJ, not my Ny area (Long Hill) lineup! again, no one able to explain......units recognize my town in the weather page. Graphics are excellent.
post #39 of 1794 Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast X1 Support
(877) 896-8678

Goes straight to a person, no menus
Renegade87 likes this.
post #40 of 1794 Old 06-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got 2 X1 installed in my home. Am I on crazy pills but does this thing actually broadcast in 1080p?
post #41 of 1794 Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello all,

xfinity decided to keep the boxes on at all times so the firmwear can be updated. updates happen overnight and some boxes wasn't getting updates.
this is only temporary. so if you want your box off it has to be done manually. i just sopoke with a tech.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.

June
post #42 of 1794 Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post

Just got 2 X1 installed in my home. Am I on crazy pills but does this thing actually broadcast in 1080p?
Even the DCX3501 can send 1080p to the television.  AFAIK there isn't any 1080p content carried by Comcast, and anything that the box sends to the television in 1080p has been upscaled and/or deinterlaced by the box.

post #43 of 1794 Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Just upgraded to X1. 1 DVR and 3 HD boxes. Previously had 2 HD DVR's, DCX 3400.

Everything run throught AV receiver, Onkyo TC-NR717. Previously HDMI handshake protocol would reset resolution and audio setting on start up of cable box or receiver. Such a PIA that I had to settle for hook up via component cables and digital audio. This has been resolved with X1 and I can utilize HDMI thankfully.

One concern was that I would not be able to pause live programming on satellite boxes but it can be worked around by recording program and watching. Its nice that recordings can be scheduled on all boxes.

Not happy that they removed ability to skip a day on guide. Seems like output sound from DVR box is not as powerful as from DCX3400. I do like that resolution can be set at 1080p although not sure much content is broadcast out from comcast at that resolution besides my AV receiver and TV should be upscaling regardless.

Happy that remote controls volume on AV receiver and shuts it off and on.

Seemless transition. Can actually record 3 programs and watch another...I have not hooked up my 4th TV yet but will see if possible to record 4 and watch a 5th when i do.
post #44 of 1794 Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

A lot of us are having handshake issues with the X1. Me included. keeps resetting to 720P See Comcast Forum.

So, it sounds like AnyRoom is working where you are. Where is that by the way?

You should be able to record 4 programs at once and watch a fifth.

There is no 1080p content on Comcast to my knowledge. Nice upscaler though.
post #45 of 1794 Old 06-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Last weekend I got the Comcast X1 DVR box (5 tuners, 500GB HD) and 4 of the X1 HD satellite boxes. After some temporary slow firmware update issues on one of the boxes everything went fine.

Here are the advantages over the DCX3400 platform as I see them:

1) 5 tuners
2) 1080p upscaling (noticably improved picture quality)
3) surround audio option (use this option to output to an AVR/Pre-Pro)
4) faster & cleaner tuner operation when changing channels

I'm outputting the audio to an Onkyo NR-TX905 AVR through Optical Digital and running video through HDMI directly to a Sony KDL-55HX800 TV.

One negative I noticed is they dropped the Coaxial Digital output on the DVR. But they retained it on the Satellite boxes. IDK!

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"
post #46 of 1794 Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've been contemplating switching from D* to Comcast because my bill is too high and I don't want to try haggling for up upgrade to the Genie.

I can save a lot of money over 2-years but of course, the prices Comcast shows on their web site do not include the rental or purchase prices of the modem and the DVRs or set top boxes.

I assumed the DVRs they had was the crappy Motorolas but then I got a flier in the mail about this X1.

So how much are you paying upfront, if any, to get the X1 DVR and satellite boxes? Do they have to do a truck roll to deliver the equipment or can you pick up at the local office?

Do they just work over the coax without any additional networking? Is it using MOCA?

What are the monthly fees for the DVR and satellite boxes? The flier says $99 Triple Play but my guess is this is the middle Digital cable package and of course wouldn't include any of the DVR rental charges, which are like $15-20 a month?

I was contemplating Tivo with the Tivo Mini or building a WMC DVR with an Xbox as an extender but maybe this DVR is competitive with Tivo and WMC?

Does it let you send recordings to mobile devices?
post #47 of 1794 Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

1) There's no additional charge for the X1 platform. It's the same pricing as their traditional equipment. Does vary by market, though.

2) They do have 2 year contract pricing avaliable. I opted for 1 year no contract. The price is guaranteed for that 1 year.

3) A truck roll is necessary. They're not allowing self install or pickup at Comcast stores at this time. Install is very simple. I don't see why. There is a $33 install fee. I got that credited after the fact. You may too.

4) Triple Play is required. If you really don't want, don't need home phone you can cancel phone after it's installed and keep the X1 equipment.

5) They do use MOCA for AnyRoom functionality. This hasn't been turned on in the Houston market yet. I can't give much more info on that. X1 website says watch recordings in anyroom by June.

6) Momthly fees for equipment. 1 DVR is included in most of the bundles.

X1 DVR $17.95
X1 Non-DVR HD STB (PR150) $9.25
eMTA modem $7. (Internet/phone)
Varies by market

You can buy your own modem like I did if you want to avoid this fee. I even bought one used on Amazon. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00721TUNS/
I bought used from seller Ostell

Refer to Comcast's Approved Device list.:
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/stage/

6) You can't send recordings to mobile devices. Yet. There is Network (Cloud) DVR
functionality in the works. This may allow you to do this. Don't have a time frame

The X1 interface is far and beyond anything I've seen with Comcast before. Way better than Uverse. It's still a little buggy. They're working out the kinks. The good thing is that Comcast is developing the firmware and software instead of another company developing middleware. This means much faster updates than before.

I like the mini guide. I like the TV/movie recommendations based on the program you're watching.

The Comcast stores in my area have it on display. I stopped by, said I was interested and asked for the remote so I could try it out.

Hope I answered all the questions
post #48 of 1794 Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mini Guide

Recommendations

Recommendations 2

Apps - Traffic

Traffic 2 - Freeway Cameras

Sports App
winniepoah likes this.
post #49 of 1794 Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 11
(although I just skimmed many of the replies...my bad) I didn't see it addressed in the responses in this thread yet, but does anyone know or have you tried watching 3D content (On Demand) using this (DVR) box?

"It's not that I don't like people, I just seem to feel better when they're not around"
post #50 of 1794 Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks CaptainVideo. My flier says $99 Triple Play for the first 12 months with X1 DVR included for 6 months and then $19.95 thereafter. This is with Digital Starter TV and Performance Internet and Xfinity Unlimited voice.

From reading the broadbandreports.com forums, this is being offered only to new customers, which is antagonizing a lot of existing customers, those of which know about this new product.

And it turns out Comcast is working on X2 and X3, including the cloud and tuner-less products.

I wouldn't mind paying $20 a month for awhile (as opposed to paying hundreds for Tivo and then monthly service or Lifetime) but it would have to be worth paying for. Clearly the old Motorola DVRs that they charge $16.95 a month are not worth paying for, not even at half the price.

But don't really like the $9.25 for satellite boxes. That's kind of a ripoff.

Ultimately, you'd be better off buying a Tivo if you have the service long term. It doesn't pay to stay with a service long-term though, because your bill goes up and then they offer better deals to new customers. But if you want fast Internet, you can't really evade Comcast if they're the only cable modem service in your area.
post #51 of 1794 Old 06-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade87 View Post

(although I just skimmed many of the replies...my bad) I didn't see it addressed in the responses in this thread yet, but does anyone know or have you tried watching 3D content (On Demand) using this (DVR) box?

3D works fine. Depending on the channel it's in side by side format or top and bottom.
post #52 of 1794 Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM

I'm considering the X1 that is being offered to me. I'd like to expand DVR capacity from our very old DVR's (probably 7 to 10 year old Motorola units) and add the anyroom feature.

I was getting a bit freaked out by all the DVR recording problems being reported on the Comcast X1-DVR support forum but it appears that most of you are reporting good recent performance.

Can anyone comment on the recording capacity vs. the DCT6412 or DCT3416 units?

Comcast is requiring me to upgrade my system from the preferred tier to the preferred plus but my cost will actually be lower for DVR + 4 terminals (4 TV's) than it is now with 3DVR's due to the lower cost for the terminals vs. full DVR and discounts in the 24 month contract period.

Any reason not to upgrade?
post #53 of 1794 Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Hey all - just got X1 installed (actually I guess it is technically X2 because it includes the new multi-room DVR feature) - and I had a question. I'm switching from FIOS to Comcast, and while the overall image in most cases is perfectly fine - but I have noticed places where the image quality seems to be worse. I say "seems' because I don't remember what FIOS looked like for direct comparison.

In particular, HBO on-demand content really looks overly compressed and blocky.

Anyone else switch from FIOS to Comcast and notice the same? Or am I just remembering FIOS fondly? I'm saving about $35/month so I really can't complain too much - this is more about "am I remembering correctly".

Thanks!

Damian
post #54 of 1794 Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

This happens from time to time where they overly compress content. :/

Cool to hear your AnyRoom is working. Would you mind posting some screen shots of it please? Still waiting for the update in Houston.
post #55 of 1794 Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My X-1 install went well, it took 4-1/2 hours (1DTA, 1 DVR and 3X STBs) with me doing half the work since my DVD and one satellite box were in my equipment rack. The tech replaced pretty much everything in my house from the wire from the pole to most of the wiring in my basement and installed a new amp too. So far I'm very pleased but my URC MX-350 RF remotes will not learn the new Pace remotes since the use the XMP protocol and there is no pre-pro code in their database since they are a bit older. I can't even use another remote to teach them, they just can't learn the IR code since XMP uses longer commands. So the money I saved by getting the new promotion just went down the toilet since I have to replace 3 RF remotes and base stations. Such is the cost of progress I guess....frown.gif
post #56 of 1794 Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

There are all kinds of complaints in the Comcast.com forums about it not working, not recording the programs, multiple reboots and firmware updates, about not really having 4 tuners, etc.

Are people here not seeing any of these issues?
post #57 of 1794 Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post

I'm considering the X1 that is being offered to me. I'd like to expand DVR capacity from our very old DVR's (probably 7 to 10 year old Motorola units) and add the anyroom feature.

I was getting a bit freaked out by all the DVR recording problems being reported on the Comcast X1-DVR support forum but it appears that most of you are reporting good recent performance.

Can anyone comment on the recording capacity vs. the DCT6412 or DCT3416 units?

Comcast is requiring me to upgrade my system from the preferred tier to the preferred plus but my cost will actually be lower for DVR + 4 terminals (4 TV's) than it is now with 3DVR's due to the lower cost for the terminals vs. full DVR and discounts in the 24 month contract period.

Any reason not to upgrade?

DCT6412 = 120 GB
DCT3416 = 160 GB
X1 = 500 GB

Obviously, a huge boost. However, you do not need to get X1 to improve capacity. There are other options.

One thing you can do is swap out your DCT's in favor of the DCX3400 or DCX3501 (aka RNG200N). Many of those newer Motorola boxes have 500 GB hard drives, same as the X1 boxes. (Some of the older DCX boxes has 320 GB, but that's still a significant improvement over what you have.) The hard part is that the DCX series DVR's may not be in stock at your local Comcast office - you may try to swap the box only to get another DCT or a DCH (which max out at 160 GB).

If you can get AnyRoom DVR without getting X1, you will be guaranteed a DCX series DVR since those are the only ones from Motorola that are AnyRoom compatible. The catch here is that I believe you are limited to one DVR (2 tuners) if you go this route.

Another option is to wait until Comcast activates the e-SATA port on the DVR's. This allows you to add up to 1 TB of additional storage by attaching an external hard drive. This is not yet available where you are, but it is "supposed" to be available in most areas this summer and in all areas by year's end. More on that here:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

The DVR's you currently have will work with this feature (the only Motorola DVR not supported is the DCX3400). Like I said, though, you will need to wait if you want to take advantage of this. The X1 DVR's will not support external drives, but they will eventually support cloud storage which should eliminate any concerns about physical drive capacity (assuming it works right).

I have no experience with X1, so I can't speak for its overall reliability. It's still relatively new, and it usually takes time for the firmware/software on DVR's to mature.

User error. Replace user.
post #58 of 1794 Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am also having an issue where my X1 keeps resetting to 720p after I turn it off with 1080p set and turn it back on. Any fix for this yet?
post #59 of 1794 Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post

I am also having an issue where my X1 keeps resetting to 720p after I turn it off with 1080p set and turn it back on. Any fix for this yet?

Looks like I have the same issue......mad.gif
post #60 of 1794 Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

But there's no 1080p content to view is there?

Or is it upscaling?
Reply HDTV Recorders