6Likes

post #631 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

The main DVR finally pulled the 9/4 update last night (Chicago).

Mine keeps telling me the Aug 14 version is the latest version. Why? (Rhetorical)

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

The senior tech that came out to install this Friday said they're really supposed to be installing an active return drop amp where there are 4 or more TV's.

The first installer I got was on the job 2 weeks. Didn't know better.

It's "no-loss" amp. It has 0 forward and return gain. Almost like it's not there.

Tech here and just added one of those, and I've only got 3 TVs (I guess he's counting the cable drop?) Getting error #22 on both STBs that he's trying to resolve.

Edit: after putting in the amp with no results, he had them re-send provisioning - all is well.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #633 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 AM
los

I have 2 in Atlanta... No idea what the policy is. We asked for 2, the Tech showed up with 1 DVR and 1 STB. I had him leave 2 DVR (He had another in the truck).

Carlos
post #634 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM

Liked: 10
Anybody care to speculate what 'technical issue' could cause Comcast to not be able to 'handle' more than 1 DVR/house in my area??
post #635 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

Anybody care to speculate what 'technical issue' could cause Comcast to not be able to 'handle' more than 1 DVR/house in my area??

None that I can think of. I live in houston which is part of the western division and someone at Comcast told me I could only have one DVR. When they came out to install I told them I wanted two DVR's to replace the two rng200n's I had. They installed two x1 DVR's.
They also said AnyRoom wasn't ready for my part of town. I got it turned on a few days later. I don't know when to believe them.

Robert
post #636 of 1659 Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 15
Our psycho-child just learned a new trick with the 9/4 firmware: freeze up so hard that the only solution is to pull the plug. Also, the record light is always on.

Also, after the freeze up, the box says the highest resolution my 1080p set supports is 720p! I cannot select anything higher.

It's getting hard to imagine how they develop and test this thing.
post #637 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

You can get backlit remote here:

http://store.comcast.com/xr5-remote-control/detail.php?p=451385

From what I was told about "delete" folder. It does not take up space nor count towards free space, and will clear out on its own. However, I was not told at what time it clears out. I don't know if it is after a certain amount of days, or if the % free gets to a certain amount.

As for noise, I do not hear any noise coming from my X1. Mine is how you described your last DVR; dead silent.

Can anybody else chime in here regarding their X1 and any emitting noise? Mine makes what I would call a functioning noise. What I mean is that it sounds like the X1 is on and operating however it's not a sound in itself. The best I can describe it is like my old PS2 while in use. It is not dead silent. My old HD DVR was. No noise whatsoever. My X1 is not doing the same.

I honestly don't know if this is normal or not. My X1 went black a few nights ago. The time remained (I have the power light off entirely by default) but there was no picture. It was very late and I was finishing a movie before bed so I just got up and unplugged the box entirely from the power outlet. Plugged it back in the next morning and everything was fine.

I have such mixed feelings about the X1. I appreciate the modern UI and HD space. I think the button placement of the remote is terrible (and not being able to simply hold down the volume button is just ridiculous). The Android Xfinity app is incredibly inconsistent with respect to DVRing a program. Sometimes I need to make a note and do it manually on the X1 or use the superior iOS Xfinity app on my iPad Mini.

Anyways, some fellow members weighing in regarding the noise would be appreciated.
post #638 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
All I get is a little fan noise. Less than 20dB. I put a piece of acoustical foam on the wall of my rack next to the fan, but not covering it.

I'm not sure what type of noise you could be describing. There are only the hard disk & fan that could emit noise that I'm aware of.
post #639 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The only time I seem to get noise is when the firmware is updating. Other than that, it is pretty quiet.
post #640 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM

I put my ear next to it and can't discern anything other than a very faint hum and occasional click from the hard drive - and that's with my ear almost touching the box.

I keep it on top with all the ventilation holes unobstructed.

post #641 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM

I guess a hum is the best description but it's not faint IMO. It's definitely something that I notice frequently and like I said before I heard no hum whatsoever from the previous DVR. The X1 is unobstructed.

I've attempted to record the sound with an app on my phone. Not sure if this helps in my description.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s06xcsqAgvkM
post #642 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM in MN View Post

One word.."Comcast"
post #643 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I still am not so sure if I should be using "1080i" or "1080p60". I have a 1080p Panny plasma. What setting are most of you using on the X1 and why.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #644 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another question about X1 vs. legacy DVRs. With the legacy Comcast DVRs, whenever there was a power outage or a need to reboot, the guide would take forever to repopulate. In the old days, it took two or three days. Even now, it takes several hours. Is this fixed with the X1?
post #645 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I still am not so sure if I should be using "1080i" or "1080p60". I have a 1080p Panny plasma. What setting are most of you using on the X1 and why.

1080p because that is what my tv supports. And the x1 supports it. And it should make the best picture.

Robert
post #646 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Another question about X1 vs. legacy DVRs. With the legacy Comcast DVRs, whenever there was a power outage or a need to reboot, the guide would take forever to repopulate. In the old days, it took two or three days. Even now, it takes several hours. Is this fixed with the X1?

It seems a lot quicker to me.

Robert
post #647 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I have my X1 boxes set at 1080P60 for my Panny Plasma. The HDTV supports that resolution and the X! upscales the broadcast resolution to 1080P - which is a much higher resolution than 1080i and will provide a better picture.
post #648 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

My old Cisco RNG200N DVR's would take several days to load the guide after an outage and would show less than a weeks worth of material. The X1 loads the guide as soon as it reboots - less than 5 minutes - and it holds 2 weeks worth of programming.
post #649 of 1659 Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Sorry about that bad post. Bad eyes and still learning the 'New" AVS... Pulled my head out and looked at the info screen. XRE 4816 for me also but I do have all newer numbers than what I had Friday or earlier yday. and I now it loaded new firmware and rebooted. It was telling me it had the latest since I had requested the download and install and it was smart enough not to do it all over again.

Firewire/IEEE-1394? I looked for a port when this was installed and could not find one, mentioned to the tech that installed it that is mandated by the FCC to be on the boxes. Noticed it in the diag screens. Is it turned off and no port an hardware or did I miss the jack when I looked (agin bad eyes).

What is your box name?
post #650 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So my X1 DVR is now deleting recordings with no warning and they are not showing up in the deleted section. This might just be the last strike. Did they hire the Windows ME developers to code the software? I could deal with the intermittent issues but if my shows start disappearing, that's a huge issue. My DVR is only at about 42% capacity. I was essentially forced to get X1 to get a discounted package, now I wish just kept what I had......
post #651 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The new thing with my box is it will slowly restore programs I have deleted and erased. First it shows up with the series info, then it will be fully back in the deleted folder able to be fully restored.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #652 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

The new thing with my box is it will slowly restore programs I have deleted and erased. First it shows up with the series info, then it will be fully back in the deleted folder able to be fully restored.

S~

That started for me too, over the weekend. And, some of the items in the "deleted" folder are greyed out and won't let me do anything with them.
post #653 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I was watching a recording of the Phillies game yesterday, and caught up to “live” about 2 hours into the game. At that time, I decided to watch some golf. Instead of exiting out of the Phillies game, I just selected the menu, went to the “recordings” folder, selected Golf, and started watching that. An hour later, I went back to the Phillies game, and selected “resume”. It should have been at the 2 hour mark, and let me resume where I had stopped viewing it. But, when I selected “resume”, it was “live”, and showing at the 3 hour mark. Like it never stopped playing while I was watching a recording of golf.
post #654 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello.

Is anyone here able to hear their X1 DVR recordings in surround (5.1 channel) mode WHEN PLAYED from one of the satellite boxes? All my recordings only come across as stereo from the X1 DVR to the satellite X1 box. The same recordings do play in 5.1 surround if I play them directly on the DVR itself.

The satellite X1 box does output surround sound when I am watching other HD cable channels and On Demand programs. Only the DVR recordings drop to stereo. Is this a bug / limitation of the Comcast setup?

Thanks.
post #655 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

We've already talked about this. This is a known bug that has not been corrected in over a month.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #656 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

We've already talked about this. This is a known bug that has not been corrected in over a month.

S~

Thanks! I really appreciate the answer. I have not been able to get anyone to acknowledge this until now.
post #657 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM

Today, last night's recording of the Dexter finale is gone. It was there last night. It's not in the deleted items folder either.

And I think I'm missing a few other shows as well. Thus is truly ridiculous! I know there's On Demand but I can't believe this box has so many problems!

I don't see any recourse other than wasting time with an untrained CSR. Does anyone have a contact at Comcast who can point him/her to this thread?
post #658 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

I do, I still haven't heard back.

S~

post #659 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM

I deleted today's episode of PTI after watching it and it remains in my recordings folder. I keep deleting it, seeing the folder as empty, and seconds later it shows up again.

Nobody chimed in regarding the noise clip I attached. Perhaps the clip didn't capture the sound. I don't want to keep asking but if anybody wants to chime in one last time regarding any potential noise emitting from their X1, I'd like to know. It's essentially a sound as if the box were in operation. My previous HD DVR was dead silent. My X1 is not.

The tech who installed my X1 made a comment that Comcast customers were 'the guinea pigs' with respect to the X1. I honestly feel like Comcast is rushing out a beta product filled with bugs. I imagine the X2 will solve all our issues. In the meantime we have to put up with this nonsense.
post #660 of 1659 Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM

I have a program that won't delete now either. And the x1 has been for well over a year on various markets.

Scratch that - sometime in the last few hours it deleted itself. Sigh.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page