AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread

HDTV Recorders

Jhon's Avatar Jhon
06:25 PM Liked: 20
post #811 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegaudiello View Post

Just got X1...I cannot get sound through my TV unless I go through my receiver. When I turn my receiver off, I could use my tv volume in the past. Now I can't.

My setup is a Samsung TV and X1 Box hooked to my AV Receiver.

Is this a configuration issue on my end or an X1 Bug?

I have this problem on occasion. I just turn just the receiver off and then back on again and then I will get sound. sometimes I have to do this twice. It is an issue with the HDMI that I have read about in this forum. Some people bypass the HDMI sound and use an optical cable and the issue goes away.
mikegaudiello's Avatar mikegaudiello
07:04 PM Liked: 14
post #812 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 109
That works but then I lose my surround on my receiver. So it is a bug! Thanks!
mikegaudiello's Avatar mikegaudiello
07:12 PM Liked: 14
post #813 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindion View Post

You may need to select stereo instead of surround in the audio settings.

CaptainVideoJW's Avatar CaptainVideoJW
08:39 PM Liked: 39
post #814 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Well all these complaints are making me reconsider! My DVR is already 500gb and works fine, it's one off he newer Moto boxes. Why can't Comcast get it right, how hard can it be?! They have tons of resources.
I'm certainly not trying to excuse their mistakes.

But it's very difficult to develop hardware/software products.

Not not mention that X1 is 'from scratch'. It's not built around anything else. It's all new code.

Look at other developments like the iPhone, Windows, etc. There are none that are perfect from the beginning. They all have their problems, glitches, bugs that have to be worked out.
Even the latest iPhone and it's iOS 7 has bugs. And Apple is one of the richest corporations and has more software development resources than Comcast, I'd say.

Was X1 rushed to market before it was ready? Yes, I think so.

Was it expanded to more markets before it was ready? Yes, I think so.

You've got the developers on one side working on this thing, and then you have the corporate bean counters on the other side saying,"Let's sell this thing, it's costing us a fortune to develop." Obviously I think we can tell who won the struggle of when to release the product to the market.
Defcon's Avatar Defcon
10:43 PM Liked: 39
post #815 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 920
As a software developer myself, I can certainly relate to management screwing up products. However Comcast tries out new products in limited markets for years, more than enough time to iron out basic bugs. They have had complaints on their cable boxes forever. Not saying they are alone, I'm sure Dish/Directv etc have issues too. But as the largest cable provider, and being slowest to add new features and deploy them, more is expected. They also have full control over their equipment.

If Comcast had competition and not FCC mandated monopolies in markets, I'm sure the situation would be different. They have a captive audience and thus can afford to do what they do.
10:58 PM Liked: 39
post #816 of 1800
10-13-2013 | Posts: 645
I agree with you Defcon.

There aren't any excuses.

Customer service is terrible.

I've been calling an e-mailing my contact in executive resolutions for two weeks. When I called the other day her voicemail said,"Due to high call volume we are..." BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. So, I can't even get prompt help at that level. mad.gif

Comcast is a HUGE bureaucracy. Everything gets lost in it.

justindion's Avatar justindion
06:11 AM Liked: 11
post #817 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegaudiello View Post

Is your tv an older model?
I have my satellite box signal split to 2 televisions. I can get sound out of the newer tv when audio is set to surround, but the older tv (sony XBR 2) can't process the surround mix.
cterrell73's Avatar cterrell73
07:31 AM Liked: 10
post #818 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

I have heard some people complain that it was for new customers only. That is so bogus it's not even funny. It must vary by region because I got it and have been a customer as long as you. If you want it, push for it. Go over heads and step on toes if you need to. smile.gif

Last week on the comcast forum for X1 there was a post stating that they were suspending new orders for X1. I live in Indy and about a month ago I verified that they do have X1 in my area but decided to wait because all of the issues. So last week I called to get some info and check pricing. The rep told me that they are not scheduling new installs of X1 right now.....I tried to push to see if it was a shortage of equipment or because of all the issues there were having....Of course she didn't really know, she just said it unavailable right now and not sure when it will be available.
djhamp's Avatar djhamp
08:23 AM Liked: 21
post #819 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKK View Post

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?

I am fast forwarding on my "Non-DVR" box and it will revert back to the start of the program. There appears to be no logic as to why or when it will do this.

Yes, I have had that happen a number of times on both the main X1 and the non-dvr. We were watching a recorded show and it happened 3 times in a row, I finally had to fast-forward back to the last watched time and let it go through the commercials in normal time.
DeltaBill's Avatar DeltaBill
08:33 AM Liked: 10
post #820 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cterrell73 View Post

Last week on the comcast forum for X1 there was a post stating that they were suspending new orders for X1. I live in Indy and about a month ago I verified that they do have X1 in my area but decided to wait because all of the issues. So last week I called to get some info and check pricing. The rep told me that they are not scheduling new installs of X1 right now.....I tried to push to see if it was a shortage of equipment or because of all the issues there were having....Of course she didn't really know, she just said it unavailable right now and not sure when it will be available.

The new Arris XG1 boxes are supposed to be deployed this quarter. The XG1 is a 6 tuner box made by Arris. Maybe they are taking delivery of the new boxes and want to phase out the current 4 tuner boxes.

Also, If what I've been reading from various tech sources is correct, the XG1 is the same hardware as that used by the Tivo Roamio. The difference is who developed the firmware being used by the box.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
11:11 AM Liked: 26
post #821 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View Post

Yes, I have had that happen a number of times on both the main X1 and the non-dvr. We were watching a recorded show and it happened 3 times in a row, I finally had to fast-forward back to the last watched time and let it go through the commercials in normal time.

This always happened on my old RNG200N DVR. And, it was always ABC that it happened to. And, it wasn't just every now and then. If I were to FF for too long, a program that was recorded on ABC, it would jump to the end every time. Hasn't happened yet on my X1.
Jhon's Avatar Jhon
11:49 AM Liked: 20
post #822 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

This always happened on my old RNG200N DVR. And, it was always ABC that it happened to. And, it wasn't just every now and then. If I were to FF for too long, a program that was recorded on ABC, it would jump to the end every time. Hasn't happened yet on my X1.

Hemm, no problems with NBC....
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
12:28 PM Liked: 26
post #823 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

Hemm, no problems with NBC....

With older RNG200N I had no problems with any channel but ABC, and sometimes ESPN, but that is an ABC owned channel, or vice versa. As for the X1, I don't have this issue with any channel.
teachsac's Avatar teachsac
01:11 PM Liked: 164
post #824 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 4,662
I've had it skip to the end while FF on the X1 a few times. I do believe they were ABC. How I avoid it a second time.

1. It has only happened on 30 minute programs
2. It will FF if selecting 1Xff (one arrow).

S`
blairhh's Avatar blairhh
03:15 PM Liked: 10
post #825 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 154
Returned from my 10 day trip. Plugged the X1 back to a power source. I swear it's louder now then the already irritating operational noise I've mentioned in the past.

Right now I'm unplugging the X1 from the power source before bed and plugging it back in when I wake up. Is this dangerous in any way to the health of the box in the long run?

I might get a rep to come check out the noise. Problem is they will probably charge me for the visit.

I'd love to go back to my old DVR but I want this larger HD space. Plus I'm holding out hope that X2 will be a massive improvement.
MFed's Avatar MFed
03:15 PM Liked: 10
post #826 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 28
I've tried searching but since my issue is probably fairly unique I haven't come up with any results, so....

I just had an X1 box installed as a 2nd dvr where my primary is a Tivo Roamio Plus. I understand that the X1 establishes a MoCA network in order to provide all its wiz-bang new functionality, and despite some networking issues I think this has caused I decided to attempt to switch the Tivo box from WiFi to MoCA to increase signal reliability and speed. My first attempt worked - the Tivo hooked up to the new MoCA network and seemed to be working just fine, so I decided to push my luck and string some Cat5 from its Ethernet port to the PS3 in order to add that to the MoCA network as well. Not only did that not work (worth a shot, but wasn't holding my breath) but it seemed to kill the MoCA access on the Tivo - I can't re-establish a connection from the Tivo to the MoCA and I've had to switch back to WiFi.

Any ideas about why I can't get the Tivo back onto the existing MoCA? Is the MoCA created by the X1 somehow limited? Is there some secret menu on the X1 that will allow me to actually view/edit the MoCA network settings? I've tried everything within the confines of the Tivo network settings to no avail, and I don't want to buy an Ethernet/MoCA adapter unless absolutely necessary.

And just as an aside, I haven't played with the X1 long enough to have a solid opinion of it but I think the interface enhancements (that word doesn't even cover it...) and speed by themselves make it worthwhile upgrade over any previous Comcast box. I'll probably never be able to test some of the issues being reported (audio resetting to "stereo" from 5.1 I think?) since the box is connected directly to the tv via HDMI, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the more global problems, like audio drop-outs, recording light inaccuracies, etc. I've only had the Tivo Roamio a week longer than the X1 so still settling into that as well.

Either way, any thoughts/suggestions/etc. regarding the MoCA network questions above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mfed
GLMJNM's Avatar GLMJNM
05:21 PM Liked: 10
post #827 of 1800
10-14-2013 | Posts: 1

Had the X1 for a little over a month now. I've seen several of the issues mentioned in the thread, but most have been manageable. In the last week or so I have been unable to schedule ANY new recordings. The receiver states that I am up-to-date on FW. I've tried various methods with the remote as well as from the computer and the mobile APP. The APP states that the program is scheduled to record, but it never shows up in the "Scheduled" section. Anyone else seeing this?

4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
07:03 AM Liked: 26
post #828 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLMJNM View Post

Had the X1 for a little over a month now. I've seen several of the issues mentioned in the thread, but most have been manageable. In the last week or so I have been unable to schedule ANY new recordings. The receiver states that I am up-to-date on FW. I've tried various methods with the remote as well as from the computer and the mobile APP. The APP states that the program is scheduled to record, but it never shows up in the "Scheduled" section. Anyone else seeing this?

This issue is news to me. I have not experienced anything like this.
timmo's Avatar timmo
02:34 PM Liked: 12
post #829 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 117
I'm continuing to have episodes I have recorded the past few months all of a sudden disappear in the DVR recordings list. Only the most current few episodes remain of a few series. Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

I have 1 theory - - the X1 platform deletes recorded episodes as those particular shows are no longer available On Demand. I know they shouldn't be tied to each other, but it might be part of the "Cloud" initiative where there is this "bug" causing automatic deletion of shows recorded but not yet watched. When I try to find those deleted episodes On Demand, they are not listed (which is how I came up with this theory). Those episodes still in my Recordings list are also available On Demand. Just a theory...I have no other explanation...
citico's Avatar citico
03:28 PM Liked: 10
post #830 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 315
My X1 has been working practically flawlessly. The recording light comes on and turns off as it should. My occasional fluctuating vol issues are gone and I can schedule and delete recordings as needed. I am in Knoxville TN and have not had all the issues being posted here. I have one DVR and two HD boxes. No sat boxes. I can schedule on line thru the DVR manager or thru the box. I must be living right. I am on the 4910 Build dated Sep11. Had the X2 interface for awhile and it will be nice when it rolls out.
teachsac's Avatar teachsac
04:01 PM Liked: 164
post #831 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

My X1 has been working practically flawlessly. The recording light comes on and turns off as it should. My occasional fluctuating vol issues are gone and I can schedule and delete recordings as needed. I am in Knoxville TN and have not had all the issues being posted here. I have one DVR and two HD boxes. No sat boxes. I can schedule on line thru the DVR manager or thru the box. I must be living right. I am on the 4910 Build dated Sep11. Had the X2 interface for awhile and it will be nice when it rolls out.
Quit rubbing it in wink.gif

S~
gnk1's Avatar gnk1
04:25 PM Liked: 12
post #832 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Quit rubbing it in wink.gif

S~

Almost every time I am thankful that I don't have a problem another poster has reported, I experience it in the next week. Long may your good fortune run!
pappaduke's Avatar pappaduke
05:26 PM Liked: 53
post #833 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 710
Currently my X1 is acting okay. The record light does what it wants, but my recordings (fingers crossed) have been complete and don't disappear on me. The1080P thing is correct today but that's hit or miss, besides, the picture quality does not change even when it reads 720P. Could be my AVR scaler is doing its job. Through all the problems, I must admit that I still like it. I just hope that soon they will get this right. When it works, it is great, but when we are having problems.........
Defcon's Avatar Defcon
05:54 PM Liked: 39
post #834 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 920

I read on the X1 forums that you can't power off the box with the remote, but hitting the power button on the box does it ?!

That's amazing. I know the box will not fully power off (it goes in standby) but how does this kind of 'feature' make it into a 'next-gen' product?

09:58 PM Liked: 39
post #835 of 1800
10-15-2013 | Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I read on the X1 forums that you can't power off the box with the remote, but hitting the power button on the box does it ?!

That's amazing. I know the box will not fully power off (it goes in standby) but how does this kind of 'feature' make it into a 'next-gen' product?
Their reasoning was that old geezers and such were getting their TV's and STB's out-of-sync power wise.

TV could be off, X1 STB is on, pick up remote hit 'On', now TV is on, STB is off...

It happened with my dad sometimes.

And most remotes send 'dumb' power commands. That is they're toggle on/off. Instead of separate discrete On, and Off commands which every product I control with my Harmony remotes support.

I do think it is dumb, and assumes the customer is a moron. But these boxes don't standby. They use the same amount of power regardless.

[/End Rant]
donaldsonjune's Avatar donaldsonjune
06:53 AM Liked: 18
post #836 of 1800
10-16-2013 | Posts: 648
good morning all,

anyone else get a white snow screen last night around 11pm est? I have to do a hard restart to get my picture back. it did effect my recording of sons of anarchy. I rebooted the box around 11:45pm last night.
JonM in MN's Avatar JonM in MN
08:03 AM Liked: 10
post #837 of 1800
10-16-2013 | Posts: 366
Hey all --- it appears X1 is improving enough for me to want to try...assuming I could get 2 DVRs. Per the X1 FAQs, some areas can support multiple hubs, and some can't. I'm in the Twin Cities metro, apparently we can not at this time.

Anybody know what the technical issue is? How easy it is to fix? We've had X1 in this area about 3 months, I think, have any other areas not allowed multiple hubs and then later lifted the restriction?

TIA ---
blairhh's Avatar blairhh
09:22 AM Liked: 10
post #838 of 1800
10-16-2013 | Posts: 154
Last night my remote control was not being recognized on a few instances when attempting to pause and FF DVR'd content. I really hope this doesn't happen again. The commands would be recognized roughly 5 seconds after I'd make them on my remote.

I'll ask again because I'm a bit worried. I've been disconnecting my X1 box from its power source every night the last few nights because the noise irritates me when I sleep. (Box is in my bedroom.) I simply plug it back into the power source in the morning. Is this potentially harmful for the box? If not I'm going to continue doing this moving forward. No noise plus it doesn't use power.

Also want to add how absurd the 'last' button feature is. You must press 'okay' after indicating that you want to return to the previous channel. This made flipping between football and baseball on Monday night an absolutely nightmare. I can't believe what a step back the X1 is in some regards compared to previous - gen STB's. I'm going to send Comcast some feedback online to air out my X1 annoyances. (There are many.)
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
09:49 AM Liked: 26
post #839 of 1800
10-16-2013 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

Last night my remote control was not being recognized on a few instances when attempting to pause and FF DVR'd content. I really hope this doesn't happen again. The commands would be recognized roughly 5 seconds after I'd make them on my remote.

I'll ask again because I'm a bit worried. I've been disconnecting my X1 box from its power source every night the last few nights because the noise irritates me when I sleep. (Box is in my bedroom.) I simply plug it back into the power source in the morning. Is this potentially harmful for the box? If not I'm going to continue doing this moving forward. No noise plus it doesn't use power.

Also want to add how absurd the 'last' button feature is. You must press 'okay' after indicating that you want to return to the previous channel. This made flipping between football and baseball on Monday night an absolutely nightmare. I can't believe what a step back the X1 is in some regards compared to previous - gen STB's. I'm going to send Comcast some feedback online to air out my X1 annoyances. (There are many.)

I kind of like the new last button feature. Not the fact that have to hit enter to tune into that channel, but you get a list of up to the last 9 channels viewed, and the list includes any show you were watching on the DVR.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1
09:50 AM Liked: 26
post #840 of 1800
10-16-2013 | Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

good morning all,

anyone else get a white snow screen last night around 11pm est? I have to do a hard restart to get my picture back. it did effect my recording of sons of anarchy. I rebooted the box around 11:45pm last night.

I am in the Philly suburbs and did not get any interruption last night.
Tags: x1 comcast activation problem companion

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread