Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1081 of 1690 Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 AM
los

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can set favorites (go 'left' from the guide until you end up on the channel column. You can then turn on the filter for favorites. This filter seems to un-stick too soon, but it does work while it is on.

Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1690 Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been considering getting the X1. I'll browse back though the thread but I'd really like to know a few things.

Does the X1 have optical audio (toslink) out? Long story but the way my setup is I would run hdmi to the tv and toslink to my AV receiver.

What all would I need to do the "any room" viewing? I called Comcast today and the first girl was no help. The next guy said my bedroom tv would need a hub. He could not tell me how the hub connected to the X1 (regular coax, ethernet, etc). He literally said "it's almost like wireless". I'm not joking.
So, if I had the "any room" I would be able to watch whatever I have DVR'ed on the X1? How about On Demand? Any restrictions that I should be aware of?

Not a huge deal but does anyone use X1 connected to a Logitech Revue?
post #1083 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 03:27 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post

I have been considering getting the X1. I'll browse back though the thread but I'd really like to know a few things.

Does the X1 have optical audio (toslink) out? Long story but the way my setup is I would run hdmi to the tv and toslink to my AV receiver.

What all would I need to do the "any room" viewing? I called Comcast today and the first girl was no help. The next guy said my bedroom tv would need a hub. He could not tell me how the hub connected to the X1 (regular coax, ethernet, etc). He literally said "it's almost like wireless". I'm not joking.
So, if I had the "any room" I would be able to watch whatever I have DVR'ed on the X1? How about On Demand? Any restrictions that I should be aware of?

Your conversations with Comcast and their inability to answer your tech questions should tell you something about the X1. Comcast has one of the worst tech support systems I have ever seen. If you have a problem, don't look for a quick solution.
post #1084 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

The X1 does have a optical cable and you can connect it to your AVR.

The any room dvr setup is consisting of one main DVR and several other companion boxes. You can access everything the main dvr can, on demand, etc. However the only thing you can't do is pause live tv. The way around that is to just start recording what your watching and pause but that takes about 20-30 seconds, maybe less once you know the system.

Be aware that the X1 boxes are GLITCHY as hell. I just had mine installed about a week ago and have had to restart/reboot the box at least once a day. Along with audio dropouts and OnDemand freezing, menu being odd to navigate, remote button pushes are a little delayed, and a bunch of other stuff. Be prepared to be a technician with this X1 system.

We have a main line tech coming out Sunday to diagnose a few things. The Tier 2 support tech ran some history diagnoses and said that even though my line signal was within specifications a majority of time, it falls out of spec to cause it to drop signal. Hopefully the tech actually does something on Sunday because if its just a matter of new cable lines then no big deal...maybe possibly a new line from the street which isn't but about 20-30 feet.
post #1085 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

The any room dvr setup is consisting of one main DVR and several other companion boxes. You can access everything the main dvr can, on demand, etc. However the only thing you can't do is pause live tv. The way around that is to just start recording what your watching and pause but that takes about 20-30 seconds, maybe less once you know the system.

Be aware that the X1 boxes are GLITCHY as hell. I just had mine installed about a week ago and have had to restart/reboot the box at least once a day. Along with audio dropouts and OnDemand freezing, menu being odd to navigate, remote button pushes are a little delayed, and a bunch of other stuff. Be prepared to be a technician with this X1 system.

We have a main line tech coming out Sunday to diagnose a few things. The Tier 2 support tech ran some history diagnoses and said that even though my line signal was within specifications a majority of time, it falls out of spec to cause it to drop signal. Hopefully the tech actually does something on Sunday because if its just a matter of new cable lines then no big deal...maybe possibly a new line from the street which isn't but about 20-30 feet.
I can't remember if i asked this before. When you have to reboot the X1, does the guide take hours to load, like it does on the old boxes? Or did they fix that obnoxious flaw?
post #1086 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

I can't remember if i asked this before. When you have to reboot the X1, does the guide take hours to load, like it does on the old boxes? Or did they fix that obnoxious flaw?

I have had to reboot my box quiet a bit and I never noticed this issue. I can say that it populates the first 12 hours immediately if not the entire two weeks.
post #1087 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

It doesn't take to long. Actually pretty once the cable box is booted up the guide menu is there ready. The rebooting of the box takes all of the time not the guide downloading. I think or I've read it load fast because its cloud based but not sure so once the box has been rebooted the menus are available.

It takes as long as a cable internet modem to reboot...if that helps.
post #1088 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you need an amp put on the incoming line at entrance to your home. It will boost the signal strength . A new drop from the street would help also if it is been there for sometime. Comcast will do both to enhance your signal. They will also look at your wiring in the home. Good look.

Ed

ED
post #1089 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

Sounds like you need an amp put on the incoming line at entrance to your home. It will boost the signal strength . A new drop from the street would help also if it is been there for sometime. Comcast will do both to enhance your signal. They will also look at your wiring in the home. Good look.

Ed

We ran some diagnostics and during that time I did it, the signals and dB of each thing they needed looked good. The house was built in 1999 so the coax line has been there since then and I've never had a problem with anything tv or internet-wise I guess this X1 stuff is pretty picky which I've heard it is. Hopefully they'll run me a new line to the side of the house from the street (only 20-30 ft) which might help remove that from the scenario and only leave the inside of the house. I may help the tech run 3 new lines if he feels it would be good for the system.

I'll post back!
post #1090 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:

It doesn't take to long. Actually pretty once the cable box is booted up the guide menu is there ready. The rebooting of the box takes all of the time not the guide downloading. I think or I've read it load fast because its cloud based but not sure so once the box has been rebooted the menus are available.

It takes as long as a cable internet modem to reboot...if that helps.

The boxes also automatically reboot every night at like 4am. Mine does at least. You get a notification asking you to confirm if you happen to be watching at the time. I presume this to ensure any available updates are applied (which requires a reboot).

But yeah, I haven't had problems with needing to wait for the guide to load afterward either.
post #1091 of 1690 Old 01-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

For the anyroom setup, I believe they are using ethernet over coax (or something along those lines, pls correct me if I'm wrong) to allow the boxes to communicate with one another. The way it works is that one box is the "hub" and then other "satellite" boxes connect to it.

The hub is where all recording occurs, but you are then able to view the recordings on your satellites by streaming from the hub. I believe this is also how On-Demand is handled (I have had issues where the satellites show a connectivity error and are unable to play on-demand, and I believe the connectivity issue is between the satellite and the hub). You are also only able to pause/rewind live TV on the hub. I also find that the satellite boxes are not as performant as my hub box (i.e. slower menus).

By my understanding, these interactions are all dependant on network connectivity. When my internet connection goes down (unplug the cable modem), I am not able to view recordings or on-demand content (but live TV continues working as expected).
post #1092 of 1690 Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The boxes use MOCA to network together and provide AnyRoom functionality.
db00 likes this.

Equipment: |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #1093 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

The Comcast tech just left after checking a bunch of readings in and around the house. It appears there as he said that the problem is NOT in or the line running to the house, its at the street where he believes the problem is. He scheduled a tech to come out and said it should be resolved within 6 hours (we'll see). Sounds promising and hopefully it does get fixed with this.
post #1094 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Liked: 16
What's the state of X1 these days? We're having a big snow storm here and my DirecTV is completely out and I can't reach the satellite dish to brush the snow off, AND the OTA feature isn't working either. This tech failure makes me wonder if things have improved in X1 land yet? smile.gif
post #1095 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeff View Post

What's the state of X1 these days? We're having a big snow storm here and my DirecTV is completely out and I can't reach the satellite dish to brush the snow off, AND the OTA feature isn't working either. This tech failure makes me wonder if things have improved in X1 land yet? smile.gif

Read some of my previous posts from the past 2-3 pages. I just had it installed and although its BIG improvement "visually" for Comcast on their guide menu but it lacks a lot of rudimentary features most other cable/sat dvr boxes should or do have.
post #1096 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Mine is working okay. The major problems are gone. My recordings take place when they should, but the light does not always indicate what is happening. So I just trust that it is happening. I do get the occasional sound dropout that last a second or less. The box stays set on 1080p. Satellite box allows me to watch dvr'd shows. So overall it is leaps and bounds better than what it was 6 months ago. Had to snow storms here (Philly area) and no signal problems. This is my experience. YMMV 😃
post #1097 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:

When my Comcast introductory offer is over, (This or next month) I am going back to direct TV. The interface of the three year old Direct TV box I had was so much better than the X1. The only thing the X1 does that I like better than the Direct TV was the 4 recordings. But I think that Direct TV how has that as well. And then there is the on demand which is better on Comcast, but I never use it. Others may disagree, but this is MY opinion.
post #1098 of 1690 Old 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, Comcast really boasts about their HD OnDemand channels and I don't really care about them just give me more HD channels.
post #1099 of 1690 Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm running the X2 preview.

Is there a way to filter for movies only in the guide? I can do this via the iOS Xfinity app but I don't see this option on the X1 itself.

How do you cancel a series (not episode) in the X2 preview? I couldn't find the option so I ended up doing so via the iOS app.

It's a shame that you can't control the speed of scrolling in the guide. It's way too choppy for me. Not only can I filter for movies on the iOS app but I can also smoothly navigate the guide and see more channels at once to boot.

Anybody heard any updates regarding the X2 hardware? The rumor was a winter olympics marketing push.
post #1100 of 1690 Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

I posted a thread under Audio->Receivers forum, putting the link to find if someone is able to use X1 thru AVR.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510572/comcast-cable-box-not-working-with-receivers#post_24179902

Please let me know if it works or not. I cannot believe that we need to connect X1 box directly to projector or TV rather than thru AVR. Thanks!

post #1101 of 1690 Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansa View Post

I posted a thread under Audio->Receivers forum, putting the link to find if someone is able to use X1 thru AVR.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510572/comcast-cable-box-not-working-with-receivers#post_24179902

Please let me know if it works or not. I cannot believe that we need to connect X1 box directly to projector or TV rather than thru AVR. Thanks!

I pass mine through a Sony AVR. There was an issue with the sound. I usually had to power off and on the receiver at least once to get sound. Others had said something about the HDMI handshake was an issue. They fixed it with a firmware upgrade, and then the next upgrade it was back to it's old tricks. But I am happy to report that for the past month, it has worked find. Now for the video, I never had an issue with that passing through the AVR.
post #1102 of 1690 Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

I pass mine through a Sony AVR. There was an issue with the sound. I usually had to power off and on the receiver at least once to get sound. Others had said something about the HDMI handshake was an issue. They fixed it with a firmware upgrade, and then the next upgrade it was back to it's old tricks. But I am happy to report that for the past month, it has worked find. Now for the video, I never had an issue with that passing through the AVR.
Are you talking about pass through or just connecting to the AVR for viewing?
post #1103 of 1690 Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Liked: 12
I'm contemplating making the switch from my current DirecTV Genie (HR34). As I already have Comcast phone and internet, it would save me $50/mo. I like the features of my current system, but it is frustratingly laggy and I'm now in the midst of waiting 8 days for a service call.

I read most of the entries in this forum and it seems many of the initial issues have been rectified.

My questions are:

1. Response time: Is it fast enough to speed watch football?
2. Reliability: Is it dependable for recordings (I lost most of the Masters a year and half ago when I tried the Hopper), and are the many trouble calls?
3. Comcast Support: Can you easily find someone helpful should problems arise?
4. Picture and sound quality. Comcast's previous boxes didn't seem to show a sharp picture.
5. Is there a 30 second skip? If so can you stack skips?
6. User interface: The old Comcast boxes were archaic. The new GUI looks good in the videos that I have seen, is it fast and easy?

Thanks in advance
Jim
post #1104 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jereihsen View Post

I'm contemplating making the switch from my current DirecTV Genie (HR34). As I already have Comcast phone and internet, it would save me $50/mo. I like the features of my current system, but it is frustratingly laggy and I'm now in the midst of waiting 8 days for a service call.

I read most of the entries in this forum and it seems many of the initial issues have been rectified.

My questions are:

2. Reliability: Is it dependable for recordings (I lost most of the Masters a year and half ago when I tried the Hopper), and are the many trouble calls?
4. Picture and sound quality. Comcast's previous boxes didn't seem to show a sharp picture.
6. User interface: The old Comcast boxes were archaic. The new GUI looks good in the videos that I have seen, is it fast and easy?

Thanks in advance
Jim
1. I don't know what you mean by "speed watch"
2. It's gotten pretty reliable (at least in my area). Didn't use to be.
3. Maybe. But it may depend on where you live. There doesn't seem to be a lot of internal knowledge that has gotten around Comcast.
4. No issues for me. The picture quality appears to me (and I haven't done any measurements) to be better than what I saw with the Motorola boxes. I feed the picture and sound via HDMI to an AVR.
5. Yes. You might be able to stack with programmable remotes that do macros.
6. The speed varies. This is one of the areas they haven't quite fixed yet. The GUI is easy compared to the old one but there are still things that need to be improved IMO. For instance, there is no way (that I have found) to jump to a specific date in the Guide and the search facility is still a bit klutzy. It is a lot easier to set up a series and you can make the unit pretty much ignore SD channels pretty easily.

post #1105 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Liked: 15
I think he means watching football and FF between plays as well as the commercials. Yes, my response time between the remote and the box will do that. I did just that with the Packers and 49ers game the other day.

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #1106 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks JazzGuy and MrJitters, you were correct, I like to skip the huddles in football games.

I also like to hit the 30 second skip 4 times to move ahead 2 minutes when they go to commercial. Directv shows the number of skips. Does the X1? (8 15 second skips would be just as good).

I feel a little dumb that I haven't thought of adding a 4 skip macro to my Harmony One. Thanks for the suggestion.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
post #1107 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks in advance
Jim

FF and RW are plenty fast considering there are 4 speeds.

I'd say my X1 has recorded 95% of what I setup. The red recording light however seems completely out of whack. Not timely at all. I've given up paying attention to the light entirely.

Technical support should be available 24/7 via their 800 number. Like any CSR they will go through steps that they are obligated to run though for issues. Setting up a home appointment is easy enough.

Since going HD I've had no issues with their picture quality.

I believe you can alter the time of the skips in Settings. By 'stack' I'm guessing you mean hitting the button repeatedly. I believe so.

I'm running the X2 preview which should be coming to all X1 boxes in due time. It's certainly a step up from the previous 'blue' interface for so many years now. I find the guide to be slow. I wish you could alter the speed in settings. In fact the new X2 guide shows less channels than the X1 UI and it can't be altered in Settings. There are 2 things that I can do with the iOS Xfinity app on my iPad that I can't on my X1 and I find it very annoying. I can filter channels by 'movies' and I can easily glide through the guide with a swipe of a finger. I wish the guide was more fluid in its actions in this regard.

Like others I have many issues with my X1. For now I'm just accepting the bugs and hoping it gets better. My biggest issue the sound the X1 emits, but this doesn't bother most forum members. I do recommend the X1, just be aware it's going to be bumpy for now.
post #1108 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks in advance
Jim

As someone who was in your boat last summer, here's my opinion:

1. Yes, but no PIP and no dual buffers like the Genie.
2. Maybe now. My information is dated on this. A couple months ago it was not at all reliable.
3. HAHAHAHA - nobody at Comcast knows anything about X1 yet. And if you have to go a service center, be prepared to stand in one hour or longer lines. Worst customer service ever, unless you get very lucky and find someone who knows something.
4. Yes.
5. Yes, and not sure.
6. It's pretty, but pretty brainless. No "wish list" capability at all (record by keyword or partial show title, etc.). No ability to extend recordings (except sports) by more than a few minutes. No 12/24 hour skip in the guide. No functioning record light. The old "archaic" boxes were so much better, but hobbled by just 2 tuners.

Have you tried asking for an HR44 Genie? It's like night and day from the HR34 in terms of speed and responsiveness.
post #1109 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

I'd say my X1 has recorded 95% of what I setup.

That's about what it was for me too a few months ago. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

And on this grading curve, 95% is an F. It's the most basic DVR function that should be 100%. Then again, a lot of people don't record much. As a basic non-DVR cable box the X1 fares much better.
post #1110 of 1690 Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
These days I'm getting 100% recording. This has only been the case for the last month or two. My only real problems are with the GUI which is terribly awkward. I want to skip ahead in the Guide and can't. And I still find that only being able to see two weeks ahead in the Guide is really not enough.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page