7Likes

post #1171 of 1805 Old 01-28-2014, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

Ok, well the Moto boxes allow you to select PCM or pass thru using the secret set-up menu (power off then menu). Apparent;y the X1 doesn't have that capability? BTW - during HDMI hadshake devices will negotiate the best capability of video and audio so it is probably possible for it to output PCM to a device (like a TV) that can't do anything more.

I remember having that secret menu with the older box I had before my X1. When they installed the X1, I asked them for the "password" for the X1 and they said that secret menu doesn't exist on the X1.

And as a matter of fact, (after a quick Google) there is a diagnostics menu - not sure if that's the same as "hidden menu" on the old box but I'm gonna check it out when I get home. Apparently the code is as follows:

1. Hold exit for 5 seconds
2. press the down arrow twice
3. press the 2 button

And based off this thread, it's the box: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28181134-X1-having-an-annoying-problem

Skip to about 1:30 and he shows you a quick picture of what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1B5tg3Yl8&noredirect=1
Quote:

So even if you are using optical you get dropouts? In that case the audio decoding and processing in the X1 box is messed up and buggy. Does not surprise me. TV Content providers and the suppliers of their STBs generally don't get anything right unless it is connected directly to a TV. They seem to forget that us audio/videophiles out there use these new-fangled things called AVRs ;-)

Yes, even with the optical cable. When I turn the Receiver on, then the TV, there is probably a good 5 second delay while the TV and receiver do there handshake/set up. The TV screen flashes a few times, but in the end it does all turn on. I have yet to have an issue with the box going directly to the TV. Seems like I am going to have to call Comcast so they can do nothing for me. Thanks a ton for all your help, it's much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Just had X1 system installed with XFintiy (HD DVR and 3 other HD boxes with 'Any Room DVR').

However, I can't pause all the TVs. I hit the 'Pause' button and the pause symbol comes up on screen but there's no pausing.

What's up with that? I have a feeling that you can't do this...

Any thoughts?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1173 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Just had X1 system installed with XFintiy (HD DVR and 3 other HD boxes with 'Any Room DVR').

However, I can't pause all the TVs. I hit the 'Pause' button and the pause symbol comes up on screen but there's no pausing.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the wonderful world of xfinity.
post #1174 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM

They had a commercial on the radio for today for the xfinity. They said it took voice commands? Whats up with that?
post #1175 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon View Post

They had a commercial on the radio for today for the xfinity. They said it took voice commands? Whats up with that?

Download the X1 remote app for either ios or Android and talk to your tablet. I have it and works fairly well although I usually just push the buttons. When I talk to it, my wife in another room invariably says huh. biggrin.gif

I believe the next gen X2 box remote will have a mic built into the remote to make our lives simpler.

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #1176 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Any thoughts?
You can only pause live TV on the DVR Box. The remote boxes will only pause DVR'd material.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1177 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJitters View Post

Download the X1 remote app for either ios or Android and talk to your tablet. I have it and works fairly well although I usually just push the buttons. When I talk to it, my wife in another room invariably says huh. biggrin.gif

I believe the next gen X2 box remote will have a mic built into the remote to make our lives simpler.

Thanks, I will giver it a try tonight. My wife is 1/2 deaf anyway......
post #1178 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You can only pause live TV on the DVR Box. The remote boxes will only pause DVR'd material.

S~

That's stupid.

Should I have ordered all DVRs?

I assumed 'Any Room' DVR was just exactly that in every way.

Thanks

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1179 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've never been able to pause nondvr's with any service, Comcast, Direct, Dish. There is no hard drive to buffer.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1180 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I've never been able to pause nondvr's with any service, Comcast, Direct, Dish. There is no hard drive to buffer.

S~

OK. Thanks

My installer said the main box (HD DVR) can not accept IR. Only RF. My remote is an RF remote (look like the other IR remotes, though).

Is that true? I see a remote (IR receiver) on the box... I'd prefer to use IR.

Thanks!

post #1181 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:

OK. Thanks

My installer said the main box (HD DVR) can not accept IR. Only RF. My remote is an RF remote (look like the other IR remotes, though).

Is that true? I see a remote (IR receiver) on the box... I'd prefer to use IR.

Thanks!

The X1 boxes are both RF and IR. Determine firstly that indeed he did pair the remote with your cable box by putting your hand over the IR emitter and see if it still works. If it does, then it is paired with your X1 box to work on RF. To umpair do the following:

1. Press and hold setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.
2. Enter 9-8-7 on the remote.
3. The All Power button will blink green twice.

To go back to RF the instructions are on the back of the remote.

post #1182 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome. Thanks!

Can you add more DVRs (swapping out the HD slave boxes)?

post #1183 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on your area. Some areas limit to one, others have allowed two. One workaround is to start the recording on your DVR, and then watch it on your slave box. You will then be able to pause, etc.

S~

post #1184 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is this 2 HD DVR option available in the Detroit suburbs? Any Detroiters here?

Thanks!!

post #1185 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

The X1 boxes are both RF and IR. Determine firstly that indeed he did pair the remote with your cable box by putting your hand over the IR emitter and see if it still works. If it does, then it is paired with your X1 box to work on RF. To umpair do the following:

1. Press and hold setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.
2. Enter 9-8-7 on the remote.
3. The All Power button will blink green twice.

To go back to RF the instructions are on the back of the remote.

Note that even if you pair the X1 remote to the box with RF, IR will still work. At least when I had mine I paired the remote with RF and could still control it with my Harmony using IR. I found the X1 box much more responsive using the Harmony than my legacy Moto MOCA is but it's pretty responsive anyhow. I did not notice much difference in response from the X1 remote vrs. the Harmony except I could control the DVR from the other side of the house.
post #1186 of 1805 Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Note that even if you pair the X1 remote to the box with RF, IR will still work. At least when I had mine I paired the remote with RF and could still control it with my Harmony using IR. I found the X1 box much more responsive using the Harmony than my legacy Moto MOCA is but it's pretty responsive anyhow. I did not notice much difference in response from the X1 remote vrs. the Harmony except I could control the DVR from the other side of the house.

Correct. I forgot about that. smile.gif

post #1187 of 1805 Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quick question, Is there anyway to get DVR content off my current DCX3400 and play it back on the X1?

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1188 of 1805 Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

Quick question, Is there anyway to get DVR content off my current DCX3400 and play it back on the X1?
No, sorry.
post #1189 of 1805 Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Asked and answered. Thanks!

Should I get one anyway? What are the major advantages over the 3400?

post #1190 of 1805 Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 PM

I got X1 in August and never looked back. I can't speak for the Moto boxes as I was cursed in a SA/cisco area. I was the second one in my area to jump on X1 when it became available. Anything to put that horrible terrible RNG200N abomination behind me. LOL. biggrin.gif

Of course your Moto may be stable so the advantages not as great as for me. I basically had to reboot the RNG every other day due to freezups, loss of DVR functionality, lost scheduled recordings, on and on.

Now that the X1 cloud is being rolled out with streaming to mobile devices and puters X1 is getting better and better every day. Not to mention the so called cloud storage will be in addition to the on board HDD so storage space should be 1TB or more. No official announcement yet on how much cloud storage will be offered but best guess is another 500GB with options to purchase more but who know at this point.

So yes, get one. You only live once you know. smile.gif

Cheers.

post #1191 of 1805 Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 PM

Just was installed yesterday. Does the slave boxes pair RF? I tried to pair and I could not get them to but the main DVR did just fine.
post #1192 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdragonfl View Post

Just was installed yesterday. Does the slave boxes pair RF? I tried to pair and I could not get them to but the main DVR did just fine.

IR only on those.
post #1193 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Asked and answered. Thanks!

Should I get one anyway? What are the major advantages over the 3400?

OMG, where to begin. More space to record more shows, HD interface, record 4 shows while watching a 5th show live. Easier to use, On Demand is MUCH better. More info available for shows, I could go on. If you have X1 available in your area, do it today.
post #1194 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

OMG, where to begin. More space to record more shows, HD interface, record 4 shows while watching a 5th show live. Easier to use, On Demand is MUCH better. More info available for shows, I could go on. If you have X1 available in your area, do it today.

Precisely what a lot of us have been saying for some time now. In all fairness, though, some areas of the country saw horrible growing pains with X1. Leaving many at their wits end. Others, such as myself have had great luck with it and enjoyed it. I think most of the bugs have been ironed out by now anyway.

Cheers.

post #1195 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ya sold me, I'm calling now

post #1196 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Precisely what a lot of us have been saying for some time now. In all fairness, though, some areas of the country saw horrible growing pains with X1. Leaving many at their wits end. Others, such as myself have had great luck with it and enjoyed it. I think most of the bugs have been ironed out by now anyway.

Cheers.
Yes, I was one of those with a lot of issues. They are now (for the most part) worked out and it is working pretty nicely.
post #1197 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just called, unfortunately it's for "Triple Play" customers only. I have exactly ZERO uses for a land line telephone. It's 2014, why would I need one of those. That's old school...

post #1198 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, I was one of those with a lot of issues. They are now (for the most part) worked out and it is working pretty nicely.

That's great. It's a nice system when it works, no doubt about that.

Quote:

Just called, unfortunately it's for "Triple Play" customers only. I have exactly ZERO uses for a land line telephone. It's 2014, why would I need one of those. That's old school...

Give it time. Some areas of the country. I have heard, will install on double play. Just about everybody has that. That tells me business was slow, so they made it easier to get. That will expand to the rest of the country. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, that's for sure. biggrin.gif

post #1199 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:

In some cases it comes out better pricing with the phone depending on your area. I got phone even though I do not use it or even have one plugged in. Saved 34.00 on my bill every month by going with triple play. When you get internet in my area it's 65.00, Tv with hd was 79.00 triple play 99.00 plus 10 hd. I used the savings to get xfiniti home security so my bill is 5 dollars more with phone and the top security system with thermostat, 2 cameras, and 3 light control units.
post #1200 of 1805 Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:

ya sold me, I'm calling now

I will be honest with you. As soon as Comcast jacks up my price from whatever promotion I am on, I will dump them. When I singed up for Comcast about 6 months ago, they told me I could not get the X1. The installer (Not a Comcast employee) asked me why I did not get the X1. I told him that it was not available in my area. He gave me a queer look and then when the regular box he brought in did not work, he went out to his truck and bought me in the X1 one box and when he hooked it up and registered it and it worked and he left it.. I don't have triple play, just TV and internet. I don't even think that Comcast knows what box I have.

But getting back to the canceling.

For me, there is only one advantage Comcast has over the Direct TV I had removed and that was the 4 recordings at once. The only other thing I think is better is the on demand, but I don't use it so it's not a factor for me. But now I understand that Direct had a DVR that does 4 recordings at once. And it will be nice to hit a button and advance 12 hours in the guide.

I admit that the 100 bugs this thing had when I got it is now down to about 10 (Yes I am exaggerating) but there are still bugs. And if your one of those people that expect things to work exactly like they are supposed to all the time, they don't. If this was a car, consumer reports would give it a do not buy rating. I had thought that the bugs I had were because my area did not support the X-1, but then when I found this site, they bugs were the same ones that everyone else had. I thing the only reason they are not rolling these boxes out to whoever wants them is that they don't have enough.

But eat the phone, get the triple play. the price is still worth it. and when your promotion runs out, dump the phone, I double that they will make you turn in your X1. This will help defer the price increase. If I had to get the phone I would. I have a 12 buck a month Vonage line for my wifes fax that I can turn off at any time if I was forced to and then hook her fax up to that. I would just port the number.

Good luck with what ever you do.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page