post #1441 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post

I just had the X1 "platform" installed at my house 2 days ago. I want to take a moment to warn everyone not to use this system or take the leap yet.

The installation was fine the tech was good.

From the very first day of operation the hub has been a nightmare. The other smaller boxes that I have in 3 other rooms work fine (albeit rather sluggish).

The hub crashes every time I go into the DVR section and I have to reboot to get it going again.

The guide is slow, the color coding is largely gone, the on demand section is terrible. Many of the shows that used to come up in certain sections no longer do prompting me to think that they actually have two separate databases for the old system and the new one.

The DVR is terrible, all of the features are slow, dont work occassionly and crash regularly. You also cannot pause live tv on non-hub boxes which is not only strange but very annoying.

I called comcast last night and explained what was happening. They tried to update the software, send a test signal etc. and are now sending out a tech with a new box tomorrow. While this is perfectly fine and I appreciate them not arguing with me over the details I have my suspicions that a new box will only lead me to new problems.

While the old Motorolla boxes I had were clunky and dated, at least the interface worked and the databases they were linked to were rock solid compared to this system. This was clearly released too early, has weak hardware, flawed software filled with bugs, just not a good experience...yet.

While I applaud what they are trying to do they need to seriously upgrade the quality control of releases or out source the system to a larger more established partner. Its not like there are a lack of well run, quality cloud based services.

The latency issue with on demand/guide was purported to be solved by the reduced lag time of the radio based remote vs IR. That is simply ridiculous you cannot solve a software/service issue that will only compound over time with a remote based workaround that saves you at best 30 milliseconds. Already they are having serious issues with latency (we are talking seconds/minutes not milliseconds) which when combined with weak hardware makes for a very unpleasant experience.

Sorry to bang on but for what its worth I wanted to warn potential users.
Thanks for the info. I have been waiting to upgrade until the problems have been minimized, monitoring this thread. It seems like it isn't time yet. But it would be interesting to know what part of the country you're in. My brother-in-law in Atlanta has an X1 and reports no problems at all with it. But I'm not sure how heavily he uses it. Are there different software levels in different areas? I live in Portland, OR, and would be interested in hearing of problems or non-problems in that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Thanks for the info. I have been waiting to upgrade until the problems have been minimized, monitoring this thread. It seems like it isn't time yet. But it would be interesting to know what part of the country you're in. My brother-in-law in Atlanta has an X1 and reports no problems at all with it. But I'm not sure how heavily he uses it. Are there different software levels in different areas? I live in Portland, OR, and would be interested in hearing of problems or non-problems in that area.

X1 works great in the Philadelphia area.
post #1443 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'll have to agree with Wicklow that X1 was released too soon. I was an early adopter and went through many problems. Until two days ago I had not had any problems for several months. Two days ago I lost the guide and had to reboot the box. Overall I'm happy with X1 and in the Philly area problems are minimal. Hope his new box rids him of his problems. One other thing. Some of the changes like the guide, you just have to get used too.
post #1444 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
X1 works great in Seattle. Sorry to hear there are problems in some markets.
post #1445 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I like the change they made recently where I can see graphically how much of a recorded program I have watched.
post #1446 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

I think it is unrealistic to want to be able to pause with a non-dvr box. If you just hit record, then you are set.
post #1447 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
X2 is great here in Boston smile.gif X1 was tough at first a couple years ago for sure. Totally signal strength dependent, can't have old school splitters and such any more. I have two comcast provided splitters now, one that amplifies and one that doesn't. As weird as it may sound I have to switch back and forth each fall and spring but it's all very good.

------------
IAM
post #1448 of 1670 Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM

I've been upgraded to X 1 for a couple of weeks now. Overall I'm impressed with the interface. So far I have noticed a few odd items. Certain shows that I've recorded on the DVR have a very odd look to them. It almost makes me dizzy. Background elements in a scene will move independently from items in the foreground. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I even pointed it out to my wife to make sure I wasn't having a stroke or something. Doesn't do it on all shows just certain ones. Haven't noticed it on live tv but we don't watch much live other than Bruins hockey. Other than that, if I set the audio to Surround, it automatically reverts back to Stereo. I also get radndon 2 second audio dropouts. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any of these issues.
post #1449 of 1670 Old 04-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Surround sound issue was fixed quite some time ago with a firmware update. Audio dropouts are a known X1 problem. Not familiar with the floating picture problem.
post #1450 of 1670 Old 04-26-2014, 06:15 AM

I checked the version that I'm running and it says that I'm on the latest version. I thought the floating picture effect might have been some strange artififact from having the box set to 1080p. Here's a question; if the box is set to 1080p, does it up convert when it records a show on the DVR or when it pushes it to the tv? I played around with changing the box setting back and forth between 1080p and 1080i but it was all with shows that had already been recorded at 1080p so my comparison my have been flawed.
post #1451 of 1670 Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
What do you have that's 1080p? Yes, If you set the box to 1080p, it will scale everything to 1080P.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1452 of 1670 Old 04-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post

I just had the X1 "platform" installed at my house 2 days ago. I want to take a moment to warn everyone not to use this system or take the leap yet.

The installation was fine the tech was good.

From the very first day of operation the hub has been a nightmare. The other smaller boxes that I have in 3 other rooms work fine (albeit rather sluggish).

The hub crashes every time I go into the DVR section and I have to reboot to get it going again.

The guide is slow, the color coding is largely gone, the on demand section is terrible. Many of the shows that used to come up in certain sections no longer do prompting me to think that they actually have two separate databases for the old system and the new one.

The DVR is terrible, all of the features are slow, dont work occassionly and crash regularly. You also cannot pause live tv on non-hub boxes which is not only strange but very annoying.

I called comcast last night and explained what was happening. They tried to update the software, send a test signal etc. and are now sending out a tech with a new box tomorrow. While this is perfectly fine and I appreciate them not arguing with me over the details I have my suspicions that a new box will only lead me to new problems.

While the old Motorolla boxes I had were clunky and dated, at least the interface worked and the databases they were linked to were rock solid compared to this system. This was clearly released too early, has weak hardware, flawed software filled with bugs, just not a good experience...yet.

While I applaud what they are trying to do they need to seriously upgrade the quality control of releases or out source the system to a larger more established partner. Its not like there are a lack of well run, quality cloud based services.

The latency issue with on demand/guide was purported to be solved by the reduced lag time of the radio based remote vs IR. That is simply ridiculous you cannot solve a software/service issue that will only compound over time with a remote based workaround that saves you at best 30 milliseconds. Already they are having serious issues with latency (we are talking seconds/minutes not milliseconds) which when combined with weak hardware makes for a very unpleasant experience.

Sorry to bang on but for what its worth I wanted to warn potential users.

This sums up my X1 experience. And it's not a regional thing. I live in the greater Boston area. This STB is simply a step backwards with respect to UI lag and reliability. Wicklow feel free to look at my other posts to see my 7 month X1 struggle.

I've now been using a legacy Motorola STB that Comcast thankfully replaced my X1 with. It's refreshing to return to a reliable experience that is fluid in operation. Yes, the retro blue menus are ugly compared to the X2. Yes, I miss the larger On-Demand selection. But these are things I will happily sacrifice for a daily enjoyable cable experience. And lastly, the noise. I no longer have to unplug my STB before bed.

I will hold onto my legacy Motorola STB for as long as I can.
post #1453 of 1670 Old 04-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Surround sound issue was fixed quite some time ago with a firmware update. Audio dropouts are a known X1 problem. Not familiar with the floating picture problem.

All true. However, since the STB timestamp was updated in my area (Central Vermont) to 4/17/14 both my wife and I have noticed a drop in the amount of audio hiccups. The problem is not cured, but maybe Comcast is making strides in this area. A bunch of us have sure whined about it enough over on the support forum (Which Comcast deserves to hear every day) smile.gif

Cheers.

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #1454 of 1670 Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you sure? Had the x1 box installed 2 weeks ago and noted that I wasn't getting 5.1 SS from my Yamaha. After spending considerable time tracking down the problem and its solution, I finally changed the hdmi box to tv connection with component cables. Now I get digital 5.1 SS. However, the other main problem, among others, is that voice synch is terrible much of the time...never happened with the SA8300hd box.
post #1455 of 1670 Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 PM

My X1 box is connected to my Sony surround receiver via optical. As I stated earlier, if I set the stb to surround, it reverts back to stereo before I even leave the settings menu. That being said, the display on my surround receiver says that it's outputting Dolby 5.1 and I hear sound coming out of the rear speakers so maybe it doesn't really matter what the box is set on?
post #1456 of 1670 Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post

My X1 box is connected to my Sony surround receiver via optical. As I stated earlier, if I set the stb to surround, it reverts back to stereo before I even leave the settings menu. That being said, the display on my surround receiver says that it's outputting Dolby 5.1 and I hear sound coming out of the rear speakers so maybe it doesn't really matter what the box is set on?

Are you using hdmi or component from box to tv? With many of the x1 boxes, hdmi to tv doesn't allow for SS out of reciever. One get pro-logic and not 5.1.
post #1457 of 1670 Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM

For video out of my stb I'm using hdmi but with the speakers on the tv turned off. Audio goes from the stb via optical (Toslink) to my Sony surround receiver.
post #1458 of 1670 Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

Are you sure? Had the x1 box installed 2 weeks ago and noted that I wasn't getting 5.1 SS from my Yamaha. After spending considerable time tracking down the problem and its solution, I finally changed the hdmi box to tv connection with component cables. Now I get digital 5.1 SS. However, the other main problem, among others, is that voice synch is terrible much of the time...never happened with the SA8300hd box.
I will check in the AM and post on the forum. I am also using a Yamaha AVR (2010).
post #1459 of 1670 Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

I'm using component from box to tvv and coax cable from box to avr for SS. With this "improved" setup I tested to see if there was any sound difference between setting the box to Stereo or to SS. Interestingly, when in this configuration (ie, using components instead of hdmi), setting the box Audio to SS makes no difference as even if the box were set to Stereo, it still reverts back to SS! Thus, no difference in sound output. Before discovering that it was the hdmi setup didn't produce SS, the box always stayed on stereo and my Yammy showed pro-logic. And although pro-logic was "OK," SS was magnitudes better.
post #1460 of 1670 Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
My child box sticks on stereo. I choose surround, click ok, leave the menu and go back to see it on stereo again.

When I got the X1 system installed, I just had it sending audio to the TV via HDMI, so I didn't care what it was sending out because the TV sounded awful regardless. Now I have it wired into my soundbar via Toslink. Not sure if it's truly sending out more than 2 channel or not. I know my receiver in my living room shows the channels coming in, not sure if my soundbar does (yamaha YSP-1000). Recently got the sound bar off ebay for $120 shipped. Sounds waaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than the LG TV speakers.
post #1461 of 1670 Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is what I'm seeing.[IMG]
post #1462 of 1670 Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is what I'm seeing.[IMG]

I'd say you have a x1 box that is working fine as far as SS goes. For whatever reason(s), although you are hooked-up hdmi box to tv, apparently this configuration is not interfering (as it does with many of us) with your receiver's SS production.
post #1463 of 1670 Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have the 3010 model and I agree with the poster above:

My box sticks on stereo. I choose surround, click ok, leave the menu and go back to see it on stereo again.(toggle back and forth). I probably do this about 1-2 times a week
I wish the number was ZERO, but this is a minor inconvenience compared to my perceived benefits
post #1464 of 1670 Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM

I have an X1 DVR connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR receiver. I've had the X1 for about two months and I'm generally happy with it.

One quirk. The voicemail app is a cool idea, but it doesn't quite work on my setup. I can see the voicemail, but when I play the voicemail, I get no audio. The timer on the screen ticks along indicating that the DVR thinks it's playing, but there is no audio. The text transcription shows up just fine (with the usual transcription errors, of course).

Is there a setting I should be tweaking somewhere, or is this a known bug?
post #1465 of 1670 Old 04-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

I have an X1 DVR connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR receiver. I've had the X1 for about two months and I'm generally happy with it.

One quirk. The voicemail app is a cool idea, but it doesn't quite work on my setup. I can see the voicemail, but when I play the voicemail, I get no audio. The timer on the screen ticks along indicating that the DVR thinks it's playing, but there is no audio. The text transcription shows up just fine (with the usual transcription errors, of course).

Is there a setting I should be tweaking somewhere, or is this a known bug?

First let me assume that you are connected from box to avr via hdmi and then hdmi from avr to tv and you are getting 5.1 SS. If so, interesting that those of us who don't have hdmi avr connections (and must use either optical or digital coax from box to avr for 5.1 SS) can't go hdmi from box to tv, but must go this route via component cables to get 5.1 SS. Am i correct about your setup?
post #1466 of 1670 Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

First let me assume that you are connected from box to avr via hdmi and then hdmi from avr to tv and you are getting 5.1 SS. If so, interesting that those of us who don't have hdmi avr connections (and must use either optical or digital coax from box to avr for 5.1 SS) can't go hdmi from box to tv, but must go this route via component cables to get 5.1 SS. Am i correct about your setup?
Correct - X1 to AVR by HDMI and AVR to TV, also by HDMI.
post #1467 of 1670 Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

Correct - X1 to AVR by HDMI and AVR to TV, also by HDMI.

With that being the case, concerning SS, I would hazard the guess that x1 box' configuration missed the boat in not being able to handle hdmi to TV if one doesn't or can't use hdmi from box to avr. Definitely poor engineering and also another case of Comcast hiding this info from their reps and their customers...that is until enough noise was made on the net about their lack of technological skill and lack of trustworthiness. BTW, comcast did the same type of cover-ups with the SA8300hd box...never owned up to know problems until the pressure got to be too much.
post #1468 of 1670 Old 05-01-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #1469 of 1670 Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello All,

I'm back as of next Thursday May 8. I got a very good deal to come back to Xfinity. Fios was ok but we really missed a few things. Mainly the 4 tuner DVR service.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #1470 of 1670 Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Just spoke with a tech about my voice sync problem and was told that it was being escalated to level 2 and that they can fix the problem within 24-72hours...we'll see!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page