Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1501 of 1680 Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you don't want to read all this, just go to the last paragraph to see what I'd like done to help me figure out why I'm not getting voice synching.

Here we go, again...really getting to hate Comcast after three weeks of hassle with the x1 box. The problem is the lack of voice sync when watching a DVR'd program on the companion box, while there are those in my community who say they have no problem with voice sync. Let me reiterate my tale of woe.

My rxv800 yammy avr does not have an hdmi terminal, so originally the companion x1 is hooked to the yammy via coax and via hdmi to the panny 50v10. But, with this setup there is no true dolby 5.1, you get PCM/prologic instead. However, all was not lost as the great folks on this forum gave me the workaround...something the install CC tech failed to do, and many of their reps have no idea about...typical cc stupidity. Under these circumstances (older receiver with no hdmi input), you have to connect to TV via component cable to get 5.1 surround sound. Did it and now have great SS. Ah, but the lack of voice synching is another story.

In the livingroom where my surround sound system and compaion box are set up, synching is no problem with live shows; however, viewing any thing on any channel that was dvr'd, no sounds are in sync with the action that caused the sound. Best example is when sound precedes a racket hitting the tennis ball. I use this example because it is the easiest to see/hear, whereas voices out of sync is not always so clear-cut (but, believe me, all voices on all channels that have been dvr's are out of sync.) However, in the bedroom where the hub x1 is, and there is just a hdmi hookup between the panny lcd and the box, there is no problem with synching whatsoever-live or drv'd programs. I have outstanding signals coming to the house, I've had 4 techs come out and have both x1 boxes replaced, but to no avail. I'm supposedly now in a tech level 2 review of the problem and I'm supposed to hear from them in about 3 days. BS! I was at level 2 two weeks ago and haven't heard from them! Furthermore, someone reading the level two notes, told me that they consider this problem to be a minor one. Well, let me tell you, I have not been able to watch a drv'd program on the companion box since I got the box as the lip sync problem is just to disturbing to allow for appropriate watching.

Nonetheless, although I have tried several alternatives (even went back to connect the box to the tv via hdmi, sacrificing 5.1 surround sound, to no avail), there is on thing that I haven't tried and was wondering if any of you guys can help. Could it be that when one has a non-hdmi receiver (like my yammy) and must hookup sound from the box to receiver via coax or optical cable, that this hookup doesn't process the synching correctly when view drv'd material? What I'd like to test (although I can't and I'm hoping one of you folk can) is the following: If you have a receiver with both hdmi and coax/optical inputs, and you are connected to the tv via component cables, and you are running out of a companion box, could you check the drv'd synching while you are connected to the receiver with either the coax/optical or hdmi. In other words, when using component cables, does hdmi vs optical/coax make any difference with the sound sync on program viewed from companion box???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1680 Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With a setup of 2 X1 boxes, are the recording schedules sync'd? If you set a recording on one, does it set it on both? Delete on both? Is one just a slave of the other?

Michael M. Wiseman
post #1503 of 1680 Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotSquawk View Post

With a setup of 2 X1 boxes, are the recording schedules sync'd? If you set a recording on one, does it set it on both? Delete on both? Is one just a slave of the other?

One box, the hub, is the main box that does the actual dvr'g. The other box, the terminal/companion/slave, communicates with the hub box to to show (not record) the program. A recording can be set via either box, or the internet, and then can be watched with either box. There is only on set of recordings, but the guide on either box will show them. You can delete from either box.
post #1504 of 1680 Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

One box, the hub, is the main box that does the actual dvr'g. The other box, the terminal/companion/slave, communicates with the hub box to to show (not record) the program. A recording can be set via either box, or the internet, and then can be watched with either box. There is only on set of recordings, but the guide on either box will show them. You can delete from either box.

I currently have a single DVR and a standard slave, which means that I can't rewind live TV. I was hoping that by adding a second DVR, it would add that feature.

Michael M. Wiseman
post #1505 of 1680 Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Got a level 2 tech today who was well aware of the voice sync issue. He told me and emailed me that there should be a firmware update within the next week or two that could fix the voice sync problem. He will let me know when the firmware is initated and I will let you guys know, also.
post #1506 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

i can't get 5.1 surround sound on a satilight box while watching DVR material. Live TV is great. i get 5.1 (dolby digital). but while watching recorded shows "PCM /2-channel" pops up. is this a satilght box / comcast issue? anyone else having this issue?

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #1507 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 06:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post

Ummm, errr, lots of weird DVR issues popping up all of the sudden (recordings that freeze and won't restart, recordings that don't start at the beginning of the show). Oddly, everything is fine with the DVR content if viewed on a computer or other device via XTV. I have an Arris mother box, latest firmware, good signal, have rebooted, etc. I'm not sure where to go from here, and don't really have the time to go through the typical run around around with Comcast service. If this doesn't get worked out soon I may ditch X1 for Roamio. I have some Best Buy gift cards I could use for the Roamio, so I am having a hard time finding a reason not to do this. Now I see what all the complaints were about. Disappointed, but not surprised.mad.gif

Following up on this, so the could service (and Comcast support) is a total joke. A technician did come out, checked the signals (we knew they were fine) and swapped the main box for a new Arris box. He said everything should propagate over and hightailed it out of there (on a Friday afternoon). I can't tell if the previous issues are occurring, as now recordings are totally unavailable now. Under recordings, there is a line item with a yellow exclamation point, reading "Living Room (name of primary X1 box) Recordings Not Available (XX# of recordings)". All of my previous recordings (which are still available via XTV.com) are under this folder and inaccessible. Fine, I thought, I will sacrifice the old recordings and have this artifact above Deleted Items probably forever, as long as it works for new recordings. Unfortunately, the new recordings are filing into this folder as well. This is occurring on all X1 boxes, so it is pretty obviously an issue with the way the account is provisioned in the cloud. Of course, calls to support result in the same old, send a refresh signal and now they want to send another tech out. I have demanded the issue be escalated to 2nd level support and am waiting for a call back.

I have already received a refund the the X1 installation/upgrade charges. Those Roamio boxes are in my shopping cart...
post #1508 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

i can't get 5.1 surround sound on a satilight box while watching DVR material. Live TV is great. i get 5.1 (dolby digital). but while watching recorded shows "PCM /2-channel" pops up. is this a satilght box / comcast issue? anyone else having this issue?
Been a problem with the satellite/remote boxes for almost a year at least with the Pace boxes. I've even gone all the way up to the VP of engineering and the project leader for X1 and it still hasn't been fixed.

S~
CaptainVideoJW likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1509 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hello all,

How are you connected to TV and avr? If your avr is older and doesn't have a hdmi input and you are using coax or optical, then you must use component cables to the tv in order to get true 5.1 sound.
post #1510 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello,

hdmi out to an emotiva umc-200 processor then out of the emotiva to the tv. this only happens with recorded shows from the satilight box. the main DVR plays everything in 5.1! This is the only time using the anyroom DVR service.

June
post #1511 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Liked: 12
My setup works the same as yours; only 2 channel out of the satellite box. 5.1 from the DVR.
post #1512 of 1680 Old 05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post

My setup works the same as yours; only 2 channel out of the satellite box. 5.1 from the DVR.
Unfortunately, it's a known and unresolved issue by Comcast.
post #1513 of 1680 Old 05-23-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I just tried a dvr from sat box and got 5.1 no problem. Switched back to tv and couldn't get out of stereo. Am resetting now.

Im hdmi from tv, tv speakers off, cheap sony avr (bedroom).

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #1514 of 1680 Old 05-23-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What a disaster comcast is........

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #1515 of 1680 Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello all,

a comcast tech ask me to try an optical / coax output into the emotiva. boom dolby digital from DVR-ed shows. but it has seroius audio dropout issues mad.gif i need my 5.1!! plan B, i can just watch on demand instead of the dvr.

June
post #1516 of 1680 Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

What a disaster comcast is........

just a quick story:

I was having issues with a new Tivo Roamio Pro a couple of months ago and Comcast rep talked me into trying the X1 instead: when the installer showed up, he told me the X1 was so problematic he did not want to even bring it in the house: I sent him away.

my Tivo problem was a cablecard issue: it took several calls to the Comcast Cablecard department to finally straighten it out:

I agree that Comcast is a disaster
post #1517 of 1680 Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I had a hard time activating the CC in my Tivo, too. I'll be dropping Comcast's TV service the end of June. What's the point of Anyroom DVR if the DD doesn't work when watching DVR'd material.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1518 of 1680 Old 05-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

just a quick story:

I was having issues with a new Tivo Roamio Pro a couple of months ago and Comcast rep talked me into trying the X1 instead: when the installer showed up, he told me the X1 was so problematic he did not want to even bring it in the house: I sent him away.

my Tivo problem was a cablecard issue: it took several calls to the Comcast Cablecard department to finally straighten it out:

I agree that Comcast is a disaster

From the phone center to the box. I really wonder how they can get away with as bad of service as they do. Somethings gotta give.

I finally had dd working on my sat boxes (regular tv- never noticed the dvr issue until last night) after a long wait just for that. The box used to default to stereo then one day started working in dd.

Last night when I read this post I tried a dvr program and it came through as dd. Great, I thought. Switched back to live tv and stereo only. Any attempt to set it to surround is useless. It just defaults to stereo the moment I get out of the audio screen.

I give up. If I didn't have so many wires in so many rooms I'd ditch them. Add in I have the phone and internet and it makes it harder. Add the fact I don't read much better about dish or DTV and I give up.

I am very tempted to get all digital DTA boxes since we don't watch much tv anyways. Then keep just the main dvr in the theater room. But the wife is preventing that right now.

post #1519 of 1680 Old 05-25-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello all,

the comcast tech just left, and the audio dropout issises are only on DVR-ed Fox & ABC shows. eek.gif via optical out to emotiva. but still pcm 2-channel thru hdmi. plan B just watch shows on On Demand. I need my 5.1 dolby digital!!

June
post #1520 of 1680 Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Fox and ABC are native 720p. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1521 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Surround sound issue was fixed quite some time ago with a firmware update. Audio dropouts are a known X1 problem. Not familiar with the floating picture problem.
Really, because I am still getting this surround sound issue and the box claims to have the latest firmware. I'll check the version number later tonight. This whole sound issue is driving me to distraction. X1 --> SPDIF --> Yamaha Receiver; X1 --> HDMI --> TV. Only get stereo, and menu keeps reverting to stereo if I select surround. If I go X1 --> HDMI --> Receiver --> HDMI --> TV, no audio when receiver is on and it does have audio when receiver is off (Pass thru mode) to TV.

anjenaire

"Conservation, it's worth the energy"
post #1522 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The only thing that fixes the surround sound and audio drop outs issues are an Arris STB, period! If you have a Pace STB with the blue light, it will fix the drop outs, but not the surround sound. If you have. Pace STB with a green light, you will have both issues.
Get an Arris if you can!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #1523 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

+1 Gov,

the blue light box has no audio drop outs. but i still have the fox / abc no 5.1 on the satilite box issues

June
post #1524 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hey gnk1,

i just spoke with X1 and they're giving me another DVR at $0.00. i told them of the satiltle box no 5.1 sound issue and they ungraded my box. next is to check my bill to make sure i'm not being charged for it rolleyes.gif
gnk1 likes this.

June
post #1525 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

hey gnk1,

i just spoke with X1 and they're giving me another DVR at $0.00. i told them of the satiltle box no 5.1 sound issue and they ungraded my box. next is to check my bill to make sure i'm not being charged for it rolleyes.gif

Just watch if you ever upgrade/downgrade or otherwise ever change your service. That is when you may start seeing a charge for the second DVR. I had so many issues with the old DVR they gave me free DVR service for a year. About 6 months later I changed the type of service I had and on the next bill I started getting charged for the DVR.

Just a word for the wise.

My TV is powered by coal. 
post #1526 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Twice in the last 24hrs my box had to be power cycled. Both times I lost picture, guide and ability to change channels. It also happen about a week ago. All three times it was while I was watching abc news. This is starting to get annoying. Last night I called and explained the problem and that I power cycled twice. The phone tech puts me on hold for a while and comes back with a solution. Sir could you try unplugging the box for 60sec. Well, I just did that twice so why would I do it again. By then the picture and sound just comes back. While I'm typing this I was waiting for the power cycle to be done. Everything comes back, but the guide is stuck on the screen and I have to power cycle again. If it happens again I'll be requesting tech support to come out because power cycling is mostly ineffective and that's about all phone support can do. Because of where I live comcast is my only option.😡
post #1527 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

The only thing that fixes the surround sound and audio drop outs issues are an Arris STB, period! If you have a Pace STB with the blue light, it will fix the drop outs, but not the surround sound. If you have. Pace STB with a green light, you will have both issues.
Get an Arris if you can!

I have a Pace blue light DVR and I have audio drop outs all the time, but no problems with the surround sound going from the X1 through my Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver, then out to my TV. HDMI all the way.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #1528 of 1680 Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

When you guys talk about blue light dvr are you talking about the main dvr or the sat. boxes?

Where is the light? My main box has a clock on it

post #1529 of 1680 Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

When you guys talk about blue light dvr are you talking about the main dvr or the sat. boxes?

Where is the light? My main box has a clock on it

Main DVR and the light around the power button
pdxrealtor likes this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #1530 of 1680 Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Main DVR and the light around the power button

I have no clue how I missed that when I looked last night! Geeze....maybe I deserve the Pace box! rolleyes.gif

Anyways- I have green lighters t-out the house.

I've had the audio dropouts in the main theater room. They are short but noticeable. I always thought it had something to do with my signal chain. Glad I came across this info. It's been on my list for a while to research and find out what the heck was causing the problem!

What is the surround issue? I am always in 'auto surround' mode on my receiver and it always picks up DD when watching cable.

I'm on the phone with Comcast now. They are sending out an Arris, and giving me a credit for all the months.

Is it just the main DVR that can be swapped for the Arris, or are the remote boxes available in Arris also? And if so is it worth the time to swap them.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page