post #1561 of 1690 Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
This is now 5 days in a row where I've had to restart the box (main) when turning everything on because of no picture and sound.

S~
Are you shutting off the STB at night? I had the same problem until I got different firmware. My temporary solution was to leave the X1 DVR on all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1690 Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This morning I had to power cycle my box to get surround sound. The box settings showed surround sound, but my AVR was displaying stereo. After power cycling, surround sound came back. If this system worked consistently it would be one of the best out there. But it's not consistent so it sucks. My mother taught me not to hate, so I don't hate it. That being said, I highly dislike comcast X1 system. Venting over.
post #1563 of 1690 Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
18 days left Second day in a row, turned on the TV and box and no picture and sound. yesterday I chalked it up to a new firmware. No excuse today. Last night, still needed to go in and change the audio to stereo and back to surround to get DD 5.1 to work. Pace green light boxes still don't output DD when watching DVR'd material. Sorry Comcast, your TV service is going.

S~
Have you tried to use the optical out connection. That has been the only way I can get the DD output when watching the DVR'd content.
post #1564 of 1690 Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Yep. Didn't work either. I'm not even bothering anymore. I have less than 2 weeks left.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1565 of 1690 Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Quote:
This is now 5 days in a row where I've had to restart the box (main) when turning everything on because of no picture and sound.

S~
Are you shutting off the STB at night? I had the same problem until I got different firmware. My temporary solution was to leave the X1 DVR on all the time.
I use the power saver. It turns on fine in the morning. It's the afternoon when I get home from work when I get the black screen.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1566 of 1690 Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I use the power saver. It turns on fine in the morning. It's the afternoon when I get home from work when I get the black screen.

S~
As I stated I had a similar problem, the first turn back on worked but the DVR usually no longer showed the resolution or the sound settings, the second turn back on - no power or sound. I am on a beta firmware now which takes care of the problem (still a few minor bugs). So until Comcast updates the firmware leave the box on. One additional problem I had when I could not turn the box on until I did a reboot - in one instance it corrupted the hard drive in the DVR and I lost all my recordings.
post #1567 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
This morning I had to power cycle my box to get surround sound. The box settings showed surround sound, but my AVR was displaying stereo. After power cycling, surround sound came back. If this system worked consistently it would be one of the best out there. But it's not consistent so it sucks. My mother taught me not to hate, so I don't hate it. That being said, I highly dislike comcast X1 system. Venting over.
This exact same thing just started happening to me as well! I thought it was because I installed some new speakers into the system on the 15th and that somehow messed it up, but after thinking about it there is no way that could have changed the way the X1 sets my audio. Everytime I turn on my system, it says "SURROUND" but if I change it to STEREO and back to SURROUND, I get the real SURROUND. It is a pain.
post #1568 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I'm running a Marantz SR7008 AV receiver in 7.1 with 2 extra zones. Since zone 2 has an HDMI output whenever you turn it on or off the main zone hdmi handshake blanks the signal for a second.

With the newest X1 firmware when the main zone handshakes after I turn on zone 2 it kills the audio in the main zone. I have to change the channel to get the audio sync working again. That's a pain when you're time shifting, watching DVR material or on demand. :-(
post #1569 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I'm running a Marantz SR7008 AV receiver in 7.1 with 2 extra zones. Since zone 2 has an HDMI output whenever you turn it on or off the main zone hdmi handshake blanks the signal for a second.

With the newest X1 firmware when the main zone handshakes after I turn on zone 2 it kills the audio in the main zone. I have to change the channel to get the audio sync working again. That's a pain when you're time shifting, watching DVR material or on demand. :-(
They should provide an option to auto-set the Audio type based on source or not. I understand why they would try to automatically set the audio based on the signal to prevent user confusion or make it as low touch as possible for the average user - but with the technology that some have these days, their "ease-of-use" software is actually making it more of a pain in the butt for most of us.
post #1570 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
In the Detroit area, I am getting 5.1 output from every channel, even the SD local cable access.

I want my receiver to handle 2 channel audio with NEO:6...etc. When it gives me "faux 5.1" then it cant process it correctly

is this another symptom?
post #1571 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
This exact same thing just started happening to me as well! I thought it was because I installed some new speakers into the system on the 15th and that somehow messed it up, but after thinking about it there is no way that could have changed the way the X1 sets my audio. Everytime I turn on my system, it says "SURROUND" but if I change it to STEREO and back to SURROUND, I get the real SURROUND. It is a pain.
This just started happening several days ago. Seems like I have to power cycle once a day. I have the green light box(not sure which one that is, Pace etc.....) but does anyone know which box doesn't have this problem. I want to call comcast and request a different box if that will fix the problem. Simply tired of power cycling every time I want to watch TV. Gotta go back through the posts to see if it has already been suggested, but that will take some time. Comcast we have a love hate relationship. Mostly hate
post #1572 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
This just started happening several days ago. Seems like I have to power cycle once a day. I have the green light box(not sure which one that is, Pace etc.....) but does anyone know which box doesn't have this problem. I want to call comcast and request a different box if that will fix the problem. Simply tired of power cycling every time I want to watch TV. Gotta go back through the posts to see if it has already been suggested, but that will take some time. Comcast we have a love hate relationship. Mostly hate
Im using a Pioneer VSX-522K and to make matters more complicated, I have my X1 running through my Xbox One - which also tries to mess with the audio signal in it's own way. Regardless of what I choose, the X1 reverts to STEREO sound (listing SURROUND) each time I start it up. The options on the Xbox One are a little muddied. It has separate options for Optical and HDMI, and a third for Bitstream output type. In either of the Optical or HDMI you can choose Bitstream, Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital 7.1. I choose Bitstream for both and under Bitstream Output type I choose DTS. But since the Xbox One is receiving a signal FROM the Comcast X1, it should not be playing a role in decided the audio type.
post #1573 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Just read a post that suggest I need an Arris box to fix my surround sound problem. Also,read that leaving the box on (current green light box) is a work around. Can anyone confirm any if this?
post #1574 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My Pace green light is always on and still have to switch back and forth surround to stereo back to surround.
post #1575 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 AM

I also have my system setup to never turn the X1 off. So I confirm that part is not true. It seems when the receiver turns on it flips some settings on the X1
post #1576 of 1690 Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Wanna call comcast about this, but not sure what I should be asking for at this point. Power cycling daily is getting old. Guess I'll have to ask to be moved up to the next level of troubleshooting. I don't need some one to tell me to power cycle, I'm already proficient at doing that. This is really making me tired of comcast.
post #1577 of 1690 Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would love to hear if the Arris box does indeed fix this problem. I have the green light box and have to manually change the sound every day.
post #1578 of 1690 Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pappaduke 

Surround sound issue was fixed quite some time ago with a firmware update. Audio dropouts are a known X1 problem. Not familiar with the floating picture problem.

Are you sure? Had the x1 box installed 2 weeks ago and noted that I wasn't getting 5.1 SS from my Yamaha. After spending considerable time tracking down the problem and its solution, I finally changed the hdmi box to tv connection with component cables. Now I get digital 5.1 SS. However, the other main problem, among others, is that voice synch is terrible much of the time...never happened with the SA8300hd box.
Are you removing the HDMI connection for component? Component doesn't give 1080p, correct? What are you using for sound? I currently am using hdmi with optical into an older yamaha receiver and I have the surround/stereo issue.
post #1579 of 1690 Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Can't remember when I posted the surround problem being fixed, but it has definitely come back. I've been having problems for about a week now.
post #1580 of 1690 Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Can't remember when I posted the surround problem being fixed, but it has definitely come back. I've been having problems for about a week now.
Gonna go grab the newer boxes today.
post #1581 of 1690 Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anybody else noticed that the time bar at the bottom of your DVR program only shows minutes after the five-minute mark where is it used to show minutes and seconds up to the one hour mark I'm wondering if anybody else has this issue?
post #1582 of 1690 Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Checked my X1 this morning and again it reset from surround to stereo although it is set to surround in audio settings. Had to switch to stereo and then back to surround. I'll be calling comcast tonight it in the morning to see what they suggests. Once we get past the power cycling I'll ask for a new box or to have a tech come out. Uuugh😡
post #1583 of 1690 Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Checked my X1 this morning and again it reset from surround to stereo although it is set to surround in audio settings. Had to switch to stereo and then back to surround. I'll be calling comcast tonight it in the morning to see what they suggests. Once we get past the power cycling I'll ask for a new box or to have a tech come out. Uuugh😡
I'm not convinced it's the hardware. Same for me...each morning it's on Surround, but it's really stereo and I have to switch from Surround to Stereo back to Surround again to get Dolby Digital 5.1. So freaking annoying...and this isn't new. I've been doing this for several months now.
post #1584 of 1690 Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo View Post
I'm not convinced it's the hardware. Same for me...each morning it's on Surround, but it's really stereo and I have to switch from Surround to Stereo back to Surround again to get Dolby Digital 5.1. So freaking annoying...and this isn't new. I've been doing this for several months now.
I did a bit more research on this today. I believe it is actually something to do with the receiver sending a signal to the X1 and it's being mis interpreted by the X1. The reason i think this is because I also have my Xbox One plugged into the receiver and it also is having the HDMI Audio being set to Stereo Uncompressed.
post #1585 of 1690 Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I did a bit more research on this today. I believe it is actually something to do with the receiver sending a signal to the X1 and it's being mis interpreted by the X1. The reason i think this is because I also have my Xbox One plugged into the receiver and it also is having the HDMI Audio being set to Stereo Uncompressed.
I do have x1 into Denon 3311 receiver, then out to tv. I should try leaving my receiver on all night and see what it shows the next morning. From what I see, comcast reboots the box every night in the middle of the night, probably for software updates they keep sending. While I appreciate the software updates, this is highly annoying if the reboot is what's causing the sound to reset on my receiver. I have never had this problem with any other previous comcast box or with any of my many other home theater devices. I don't have any gaming devices (FYI).
post #1586 of 1690 Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
New to the X1 platform. Have had it for four days now. I have a "main" DVR and a secondary DVR. Any room service. As far as I'm concerned this has actually been a downgrade. Why? Let me count the ways.

1. Remote Control. It's slower, dumber, and clumsier than the old one. Only controls the STB and the TV volume/power. Unlike the old remote control, can't program it to control my stereo or DVD player. I can enter numbers faster than the box can display them on the TV screen. If I type in a three digit channel number I must wait 1-2 seconds before it shows on the TV screen. It's even worse on the secondary box. I'd say the delay can be up to 3 seconds. My wife ends up typing in more numbers because after waiting 2 seconds and not seeing any change on screen she thinks the remote didn't read the keyed-in numbers. Also the soft keys are mushy and don't give good tactile feedback. That's not the worst complaint about the new X1 system, the worst thing is:

2. Search Function. Yep, type in a channel number and up pops a window with 4 other choices. Example, type in '866' because you want to watch channel 866. After 1-2 seconds (described in #1 , above) your entire TV screen blackens and up pops a window occupying one-third of your screen giving you four choices. Channel 866, Tonight Show, Tom and Jerry, and Tom Hanks. You see, when you type 866 you are also typing the alpha characters TUV and MNO (ala your phone number keys). Comcast thinks you are searching for something that starts with the letter "T". You must then select "Channel 866" then press OK to change channels. So Comcast thinks you want to search for something EVERY TIME you key in a channel number. I HATE, HATE, HATE the search functions. If anyone knows how to disable this POS feature please let me know.

3. On Demand. The new interface is intuitive and very pretty to look at. Too bad it is ridiculously difficult to navigate. It requires many, many more keystrokes, arrow up/down, arrow right/left to find things and this is using the slower remote control. While the old system was mostly text-based and unattractive to look at, it was much more efficient.

However, the most insidious thing about it is that 99% of the free On Demand content is no longer available but would have to be added for an additional $4.99 a month if I truly want On Demand. For example, if I wanted to watch the last two episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" broadcast just a month ago my options are to subscribe to a service or else the system informs me that this episode will be broadcast on July 3 at 8:00 pm and gives me the option of recording it. If, in order to view this program, I'm supposed to record it in two weeks, that's not "ON DEMAND", now is it? This was true of just about every network TV program I looked into. We either need to subscribe to a new service or record the next broadcast of the episode. What happened to the "catch up on previous episodes" feature we found so useful with the old system? In the old system I could look up Season 5 of Kitchen Nightmares and simply select Episode 5 and then instantly watch it. Now I can get it "free with subscription". I've also noticed that hundreds of free movies are no longer accessible. Yes, most of them were somewhat cheesy, but once in a while there were hidden gems or old favorites. In short, I don’t see how this can be an upgrade if I actually lose features that I once had.

4. The STB. Does not have a channel number display on the front panel. Setting the brightness level of the clock to its lowest level is still too bright. The power transformer is outboard of the STB and is obtrusive in size. One nice feature, and so far the only feature I like is the Last Channel function. If you select Last on the remote it will show you the last 5 (6?) channels you were viewing and you can scroll over and select one of them.

5. The Apps. Big Deal. I can do any of these things better and easier with my phone.

At this point I want my old "legacy" STB's with "only" 500 GB of video storage. I want my old remotes back. I want my free On Demand content back. I want to rid myself of the insanely annoying search function. Emails to the Comcast rep that hooked me up with the X1 system are going unanswered. And of course there was no direct phone number listed on her business card. Looks like I'm on ignore for now. As part of the Triple Play offer the tech is supposed to come out in 2 days and install the security system. Oh boy, can't wait!

Am I doing something wrong? Or not understanding how the new X1 system is supposed to work? Because I really loathe it.

Can anyone tell me how to defeat the search function? Will Comcast allow me to revert back to my old boxes/remotes? If so, will I regain the free On Demand content as before?
Gabatta and ioTrap like this.

Last edited by powrwrap; 06-24-2014 at 03:07 PM.
post #1587 of 1690 Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Inputs for X1

Hi all.

I got the X1 box a little while ago and ever since the guy hooked it up, my son hasn't been able to use his Xbox. The problem is that with the old box, the TV used the composite input and I switched to the video input for the Xbox. With the X1, the TV uses the video input, so I'm not sure how to get the Xbox to work. Some other info that might be helpful: we have an old TV that does not have an HDMI input, and we have a separate speaker system - the TV itself does not have any speakers. Any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated!
post #1588 of 1690 Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricopie View Post
Hi all.

I got the X1 box a little while ago and ever since the guy hooked it up, my son hasn't been able to use his Xbox. The problem is that with the old box, the TV used the composite input and I switched to the video input for the Xbox. With the X1, the TV uses the video input, so I'm not sure how to get the Xbox to work. Some other info that might be helpful: we have an old TV that does not have an HDMI input, and we have a separate speaker system - the TV itself does not have any speakers. Any help anyone could give me would be much appreciated!
Please list all the inputs available on the TV.
post #1589 of 1690 Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
Please list all the inputs available on the TV.
Hi powrwrap, thanks for responding!

I'm a real novice so I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know what's on the back of the TV, or the inputs available when I click the "inputs" button on the remote? Or are they the same?!? I may have figured out part of the problem - I asked the IT guys in my office. They said the TV should be connected to the receiver, not directly to the cable box. But it looks like it is directly connected to the cable box. It looks like the cable guy had to do this because there is only one set of composite cables that can come out of the cable box - the rest are HDMI inputs. Does that make sense?
post #1590 of 1690 Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricopie View Post
Hi powrwrap, thanks for responding!

I'm a real novice so I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know what's on the back of the TV, or the inputs available when I click the "inputs" button on the remote? Or are they the same?!? I may have figured out part of the problem - I asked the IT guys in my office. They said the TV should be connected to the receiver, not directly to the cable box. But it looks like it is directly connected to the cable box. It looks like the cable guy had to do this because there is only one set of composite cables that can come out of the cable box - the rest are HDMI inputs. Does that make sense?
What are the input connections on the back of the TV? Better yet, what make/model is your TV?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page