7Likes

post #1591 of 1800 Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
What are the input connections on the back of the TV? Better yet, what make/model is your TV?
The TV is a Panasonic TH-50PHW5 and the receiver is a Bose AV28 media center. Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1800 Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillieBazzillie View Post
Are you removing the HDMI connection for component? Component doesn't give 1080p, correct? What are you using for sound? I currently am using hdmi with optical into an older yamaha receiver and I have the surround/stereo issue.
Been away for the last week, otherwise I would have answered sooner.

Component does give 1008p.

I have an older Yammy (RXV800) which doesn't have hdmi. I have been using component (from X1 to TV) and coax from X1 to Yammy without any problems getting 5.1 DD. When I originally used hdmi, only got stereo. However, again I must bitch about lack of voice sync when viewing DVR.
post #1593 of 1800 Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricopie View Post
The TV is a Panasonic TH-50PHW5 and the receiver is a Bose AV28 media center. Hope that helps!
Doing research for you. From what device--TV or cable box--is the audio being connected to your Bose AV28? Is there an audio cable going from the TV to the Bose AV28 or is there a cable going from the cable box to the Bose AV28? In other words, how is your sound signal getting to the Bose unit?
post #1594 of 1800 Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Doing research for you. From what device--TV or cable box--is the audio being connected to your Bose AV28? Is there an audio cable going from the TV to the Bose AV28 or is there a cable going from the cable box to the Bose AV28? In other words, how is your sound signal getting to the Bose unit?
It looks like one wire (the white composite) is going from the cable box out to the Bose. And it looks like there's a red wire plugged into the Bose audio input but it's not connected to anything on the other side. There's also a red wire going out from the cable box to the TV. The yellow video wire goes out from the cable box and into the TV.
post #1595 of 1800 Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The color convention for an A/V port is:

Color of connectorUse
YellowComposite video (to TV or whatever selects the video input for the TV)
WhiteAudio Left (to drive left channel of your audio system)
RedAudio Right (to drive right channel of your audio system)

Composite video has a video resolution often referred to as 480i or Standard Definition.

The audio is basically stereophonic ("stereo"). For monophonic ("mono") broadcasts, the same signal would typically come out of both channels, but it seems that a lot of shows are televised at least in stereo, and an unplugged red would mean that as an actor moves towards the right of the screen the actor's voice would be less loud.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1596 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricopie View Post
It looks like one wire (the white composite) is going from the cable box out to the Bose. And it looks like there's a red wire plugged into the Bose audio input but it's not connected to anything on the other side. There's also a red wire going out from the cable box to the TV. The yellow video wire goes out from the cable box and into the TV.
Do you have stereo sound with Comcast's setup of your wiring? Stereo audio connectors are white and red. Sounds like you only have white hooked up, so you might only have one channel of stereo, not two channels.

It looks like your TV has two ways of getting audio/video inputted into it. Either composite/RGB input or AV in. Reading your original post it appears that your old cable box was connected to the composite/RGB input (5 connectors), while the XBox was connected to the AV in (3 connectors). The new X1 cable box does not have RGB/composite output, so it uses the AV in connection (white, red, and yellow connectors). It seems to me that you need to use a HDMI/component video cable for the XBox like this, if one didn't come with your XBox:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox.../dp/B000B6MLPU
post #1597 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Eh, component is the one with 3 video cables (plus 2 audio cables), and composite is the one with 1 video cable (plus 2 audio cables).

For component, the color conventions are:
Connector ColorPurpose
GreenY (luma or luminance, the "brightness"; and sync information)
BluePb (blue minus luma)
RedPr (red minus luma)
WhiteAudio Left (Left stereo channel)
RedAudio Right (Right stereo channel)
Component can do 480i and potentially 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Yes, sigh, the Red color is used for two different purposes, so one needs to know if we are talking component (the Pr connection) or sound (right audio). In my former reply I assumed right audio.

For composite or A/V, the color conventions are:
Connector ColorPurpose
YellowVideo (Luma, sync, the color information is modulated on this connector)
WhiteAudio Left (Left stereo channel)
RedAudio Right (Right stereo channel)
Composite is usually SD only ("480i").

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 06-26-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #1598 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Eh, component is the one with 3 video cables (plus 2 audio cables), and composite is the one with 1 video cable (plus 2 audio cables).
Yes, you are correct. <apologizes>
post #1599 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Is it just me or is anyone else's system almost completely unresponsive. Reset makes no difference. Tivos are fine.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1600 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all!

Is the Arris X1 much faster than the Pace X1? Or exactly the same?

Lastly, when does the new X2 platform come live? Does that mean I need new hardware or will it be a firmware update to my Pace X1?
post #1601 of 1800 Old 06-26-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else's system almost completely unresponsive. Reset makes no difference. Tivos are fine.

S~
If your local X1 server has problems it will slow everything down. I has my local server do down today, but before it did the X1 box became unresponsive.
post #1602 of 1800 Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 53
My box reverting to stereo daily has been escalated to tier 2 to try to resolve the problem. At least the tech I spoke with didn't try to force me to power cycle my box. I simply told her what I've done to troubleshoot, she put me on hold briefly and came back to inform me that tier 2 would be the next step. Now I just have to wait for a call and see what happens next. Fingers crossed
post #1603 of 1800 Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

BAD NEWS!

I don't think that the sync problem will ever be fixed unless there is a new X1 box. The level 2 tech (seems to know what he is doing and has been helpful with timely followups) I've been dealing with told me last night that his engineers (who have been incredulously working on this problem for 7-8 months) said that the sync issue is related to the box not having backward capability to work with older AVRs that don't have hdmi. He also related a lot of gibberish about how the sound hookups should be wired; none of which made sense to me. Like, for example, the coax out from the box is meant to go to the TV and not the AVR??? I'm going to swap boxes and put the DVR into the room with the surround sound setup, and the terminal box into the room with sound only from the TV. As those hookup to the DVR don't seem to have a problem, we'll see what happens when I swap...

EDIT:
Surround sound system in the livingroom, coax from terminal box to older AVR (no hdmi), component from box to TV. Hub in the bedroom, no SS, hdmi from box to TV.

Problem:
Livingroom system plays 5.1DD, but ALL DVR'd material sound is out of sync. Comcast level 2 tech says terminal box must be hooked to AVR via hdmi to get SS and voice sync for DRV'd material. Furthermore, they've been working on this problem for about 8 months and see no solution to this issue. Only way out is to get another DVR (at $17/mo) or to try to swap boxes between rooms. Wife let me try the swap because she just about always watches DVR'd material AND when terminal box is hooked via hdmi to the TV, DRV'd material is in sound sync.

The Swap:

The two boxes have different inputs/outputs. Whereas the terminal box had hdmi, component and coax outputs, the hub box doesn't; it only has hdmi and digital optical outputs. Had some concern about using hdmi from DVR to TV as when I did this with the terminal box, couldn't get 5.1DD...had to use component cables to get DD. Nonetheless, in the livingroom, I used optical cable from hub box to AVR and hdmi from box to TV. Everything is now working properly: 5.1 DD and DVR'd material is in sound sync. Of course, no thanks to Comcast...I really hate corporate Comcast, not their reps, because corporate just doesn't tell their reps what really is going on until it is too late.

Last edited by flycaster; 06-28-2014 at 07:55 AM.
post #1604 of 1800 Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Comcast X1 DVR w/ Blue Power Light?

I just had X1 installed yesterday and recieved a new X1 DVR box that has a blue circle power light. I noticed when I attemped to adjust the brightness of the power light that not all the numbers work. 0 = Off | 1 = Dim | 2 & 3 = Bright (2 and 3 are the same. No change).

On my friend's DVR X1 box with the green power light the brightness changes with all the numbers 0 - 3 with 3 being very bright.

Does anybody else have one with a blue power light that notices a difference in brightness between level 2 and 3? Basically it seems like this box is only 0 - 2 even though the software shows 3.

This seems like a newer box as everyone else I know who has this system has a blue circle light.
post #1605 of 1800 Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTek View Post
I just had X1 installed yesterday and recieved a new X1 DVR box that has a blue circle power light. I noticed when I attemped to adjust the brightness of the power light that not all the numbers work. 0 = Off | 1 = Dim | 2 & 3 = Bright (2 and 3 are the same. No change).

Does anybody else have one with a blue power light that notices a difference in brightness between level 2 and 3? Basically it seems like this box is only 0 - 2 even though the software shows 3.
When I had my X1 box for 6 days I didn't notice much dimming of the blue power light no matter what setting I used. The clock would noticeably dim but not as dim as I would like it. Doesn't Comcast realize people have home theater areas that they like to keep dark when watching movies?

Irony--I just returned my X1 boxes for the older style RNG200 Cisco boxes and they won't activate because there is a service outage in my area! Strange, but I have internet access, security system working, and I can watch an old analog TV.
post #1606 of 1800 Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
When I had my X1 box for 6 days I didn't notice much dimming of the blue power light no matter what setting I used. The clock would noticeably dim but not as dim as I would like it. Doesn't Comcast realize people have home theater areas that they like to keep dark when watching movies?

Irony--I just returned my X1 boxes for the older style RNG200 Cisco boxes and they won't activate because there is a service outage in my area! Strange, but I have internet access, security system working, and I can watch an old analog TV.
Are you able to see if yours does what I describe or do you not have these boxes anymore?
post #1607 of 1800 Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

On my friend's DVR X1 box with the green power light the brightness changes with all the numbers 0 - 3 with 3 being very bright.

This seems like a newer box as everyone else I know who has this system has a blue circle light.
My x1 box has a blue power circle and yes the brightness on the display doesn't change when you change some of the settings. I also noticed this when trying to change how transparent the menu is. There were different settings options, but changing them didn't seem to yield any actual differences.
post #1608 of 1800 Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyvo23 View Post
My x1 box has a blue power circle and yes the brightness on the display doesn't change when you change some of the settings. I also noticed this when trying to change how transparent the menu is. There were different settings options, but changing them didn't seem to yield any actual differences.
Valid observations...same with me.
post #1609 of 1800 Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyvo23 View Post
The clock display or the power light brightness? All the settings work on the clock display. Just settings # 3 for the power light does nothing different than 2.

Also, the menu for this setting shows a green power button circle. My guess is the firmware has not been adjusted for the hardware differences on this new box. The green boxes were the orginial batch of x1 boxes.

The model of the newest is XG1-A for Arris/Motorola.

What do you mean by transparency on the guide? Are you on 1.3.3?
post #1610 of 1800 Old 06-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The clock display or the power light brightness? All the settings work on the clock display. Just settings # 3 for the power light does nothing different than 2.

Also, the menu for this setting shows a green power button circle. My guess is the firmware has not been adjusted for the hardware differences on this new box. The green boxes were the orginial batch of x1 boxes.

The model of the newest is XG1-A for Arris/Motorola.

What do you mean by transparency on the guide? Are you on 1.3.3?
The guide should be overlaid on top of the picture, but it's all usually to dark to see anything. If you hit the "B" button, you will get the picture in a small window on the bottom right of the screen. It's not a permanent setting though. I think it just last as long as the box is on.
post #1611 of 1800 Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
Valid observations...same with me.
The blue power light box is capable of 3 brightness. I found out today if you do the following:

1. Set the brightness at 3 for the power button.
2. Restart the box.
3. When the box reboots the power light will be at 3.
4. If you change the settings down from 3 to 0 it will dim every time.
5. If you increase the brightness after changing it then it will not go above 2 until reboot again. The UI will say 3, but the light will be stuck at 2.

Can anybody else confirm on this box? I have a tech available and want to know if this is unique to my box or all Arris blue power light versions of the box.
post #1612 of 1800 Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Are you able to see if yours does what I describe or do you not have these boxes anymore?
I no longer have the boxes. As I said, I didn't notice much, if any, dimming of the blue, circular power light.
post #1613 of 1800 Old 07-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Comcast Engineering confirmed the power light dimming settings not working on 3 is a known issue.

Anybody having issues with the red record light not coming on during scheduled recordings? This is also on the blue light Arris XG1-A.

Thought this was fixed on old green light boxes but seems to happen on the Arris.
post #1614 of 1800 Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
anyone else notice the X1 composite video output actually formats 16:9 HD pictures perfectly for DVD recording; other Comcast boxes cause black bars all the way around the picture.

too bad they got rid of the s-video output
post #1615 of 1800 Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hello all,

my dvr (blue light) now only sends out a 720p signal. after changing the setting "Error message: tv isn't formatted for this setting). this is the 2nd dvr with this issue in the living room. the other dvr in bedroom has a 1080p setting.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #1616 of 1800 Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

My issue with my box switching to stereo daily is still going on, but I've been escalated to tier 2. I also called my local news station and reported my ongoing issue.(They have a segment called call for action). Called for action assists consumers with product issues. So now I have a person to call with an extension to avoid the phone automation jungle. He informs me that a firmware update is going to be rolled out in the next month that deals with this issue. Hopefully this gets me somewhere. So for now I'll deal with resetting my settings once a day. I'm not going to switch my hdmi cable to my tv and also connecting an optical cable. Yes that would resolve (band-aid) problem but that's not the way the box is supposed to work. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but I pay comcast plenty of money a month and I would like for my box to work as advertised.
post #1617 of 1800 Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 AM

Is the HDMI output on the X1 DVR more finicky about the type and length of cable than the satellite boxes? Tonight I swapped the DVR from the living room to the family room. In the living room it was connected to the 50" Panny plasma via a 6' HDMI cable. Worked fine.

Now that the DVR is in the family room where the satellite box was, I can't get any HDMI (audio/video) output at all. The satellite box sees the DVR and will play content so I know it hooked up correctly. The hook up in the family room is the same as the satellite box was (a 6' HDMI cable from the DVR to my Yamaha receiver, and a 15' HDMI cable going from the receiver to the Sharp 30k projector). Composite video output works (I plugged it into an old Sony PC that has a giga pocket video input) and there's a picture. I even bypassed the Yamaha receiver and plugged the 15' HDMI cable from the Sharp 30k directly into the X1 DVR. Still nothing.

Before I put things back the way they were before, any suggestions?

*** PLEASE IGNORE THIS. I had the HDMI cable plugged into one of the 2 non working HDMI inputs. ***

Last edited by rgrele; 07-04-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Found Solution
post #1618 of 1800 Old 07-04-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post
hello all,

my dvr (blue light) now only sends out a 720p signal. after changing the setting "Error message: tv isn't formatted for this setting). this is the 2nd dvr with this issue in the living room. the other dvr in bedroom has a 1080p setting.
If you reboot the box you can change the setting (it may already be on 1080p). The box may after some time say 720p but I found on my set the box was still outputting 1080p. Comcast is aware of the problem and they are working on a solution.
post #1619 of 1800 Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Anybody get the July update yet?
post #1620 of 1800 Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35