6Likes

post #1681 of 1705 Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
There are 2 different manufacturers of the DVR boxes. Pace (Green power button) and Arris (Blue power button). No lip sync issues with my Pace.
Are you sure pace only has green light? I just got X1 today and my dvr is Pace but has a blue light lol. PX001ANC to be exact. No lip sync issues either so far from what I see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1705 Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk69 View Post
Are you sure pace only has green light? I just got X1 today and my dvr is Pace but has a blue light lol. PX001ANC to be exact. No lip sync issues either so far from what I see.
Maybe they changed things up to confuse us Comcast Customers. But, since the X1 has been out, Pace was green (first X1 released), Arris was blue. You might want to verify you have a non-PACE DVR. For reasons like this, I have went and bought a TIVO. So long X1. But, unfortunately I still have to deal with Comcast. (Cable card, and that took 3 days to activate)
post #1683 of 1705 Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
Maybe they changed things up to confuse us Comcast Customers. But, since the X1 has been out, Pace was green (first X1 released), Arris was blue. You might want to verify you have a non-PACE DVR. For reasons like this, I have went and bought a TIVO. So long X1. But, unfortunately I still have to deal with Comcast. (Cable card, and that took 3 days to activate)
As long as it works but definitely Pace model. Yeah activation seems to be a major hurdle with comcast. The tech was on the phone for like an hour trying to get the companion boxes to activate lol. They fixed 1 and the other stayed inactive. So tech coming by tomorrow with new box. Says thats the worst part in his installs.
post #1684 of 1705 Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashman View Post
I have had X1 for a couple of months now and am extremely annoyed by my box constantly defaulting back to 720p. I know some folks mentioned that the bug seems to have been fixed, but I can report that is definitely still happening for me.
It's happening here too. 1080p keeps resetting to 720p, and then I need to force reboot the box to get the 1080p option back. I've tried the 1080i option and have found that when so configured, the "Output resolution" option and "Audio mode" options disappear entirely from the setup menus after some short time (needs a reboot to return). But the box does seem to keep outputting a 1080i signal. I've had the X1 boxes for less than 2 weeks, so still early days for me.

I'd say that the system does seem to be very buggy and very slow. As a software developer I'd classify the system as in an "alpha" or "beta" state (probably closer to the former). I'll probably miss my much more reliable and much faster Dish Network Hopper/Joey system.
post #1685 of 1705 Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Man reading this thread and you see a lot of people having issues getting the boxs installed and working. The guy was out at my house for like 30 minutes and everything works. As the saying goes i'd rather be lucky then good.
post #1686 of 1705 Old 08-31-2014, 05:30 AM
los

Liked: 11
DVRs cannot see each other?

I have 2 X1 DVRs (2 full DVR, not extension boxes).

Up until a few days ago, they could see each other's recordings. That seems to have stopped.

I've reset/restarted them, nothing doing.

Any thoughts on what might get this back?

Thanks!

Carlos

Carlos
post #1687 of 1705 Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post
I have 2 X1 DVRs (2 full DVR, not extension boxes).

Up until a few days ago, they could see each other's recordings. That seems to have stopped.

Carlos
You'll want to make sure AnyRoom DVR is coded on your account. This is usually what the culprit is.

Just explain to support you can't watch a recording on another box. 1st tier may not be able to help. Ask for a ticket number and escalation to tier 2.

They'll have to call you back.

Good luck!
post #1688 of 1705 Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
los

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post
You'll want to make sure AnyRoom DVR is coded on your account. This is usually what the culprit is.

Just explain to support you can't watch a recording on another box. 1st tier may not be able to help. Ask for a ticket number and escalation to tier 2.

They'll have to call you back.

Good luck!
I managed to get this fixed via online chat. The agent sent 'reset hit' to the boxes and voila!

Weird that it managed to get un-set, but the fix was relatively painless this time.

Thanks!

Carlos

Carlos
post #1689 of 1705 Old 09-16-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post

3. On Demand.
...However, the most insidious thing about it is that 99% of the free On Demand content is no longer available but would have to be added for an additional $4.99 a month if I truly want On Demand. For example, if I wanted to watch the last two episodes of "The Big Bang Theory" broadcast just a month ago my options are to subscribe to a service or else the system informs me that this episode will be broadcast on July 3 at 8:00 pm and gives me the option of recording it. If, in order to view this program, I'm supposed to record it in two weeks, that's not "ON DEMAND", now is it? This was true of just about every network TV program I looked into. We either need to subscribe to a new service or record the next broadcast of the episode. What happened to the "catch up on previous episodes" feature we found so useful with the old system? In the old system I could look up Season 5 of Kitchen Nightmares and simply select Episode 5 and then instantly watch it. Now I can get it "free with subscription". I've also noticed that hundreds of free movies are no longer accessible. Yes, most of them were somewhat cheesy, but once in a while there were hidden gems or old favorites. In short, I don’t see how this can be an upgrade if I actually lose features that I once had.
Is this On Demand issue described above an experience everyone is having? I cannot believe that this is the only post I've seen that mentions this and that there are no responses to it. The described loss of formerly free On Demand content would be a huge deal breaker for me (and I'm scheduled to have the X1 installation next Monday 9/22).

powrwrap, what is the additional $4.99 service actually called? Does anyone else know what service is being referred to? Is it accurate that many of the network shows I now enjoy On Demand for free will require an extra fee now? ...not to mention the occasional movie.

FAN NOISE: Can users advise which particular boxes are most plagued by fan noise? Do they all have this same problem? There must be some difference between the PACE boxes and the Arris boxes, correct? Which box is the quietest? Did anyone have their box switched and receive a much quieter (or louder) replacement? This may end up being the biggest issue if it can be heard across a room, and I will certainly ask the installer which box they intend to install when they confirm their appointment that day. I just need to know which box is the best if there are multiple options.

The lag sounds horrible; I can only hope it's not as bad as being reported here. I couldn't believe when I skipped ahead 1 year in this thread the topics of the posts were completely unchanged - I thought I hit "next" page instead of "last" page... well, it is Comcast so maybe I wasn't completely surprised...

We currently have the RNG200N box and I'm just hoping this "upgrade" isn't a big mistake. I would be happy to keep the current box (didn't even know I could have added extra storage until reading it here - thought that feature was disabled), but the X1 package seems to be a significantly cheaper option for a supposed upgrade at this point in time.

I know prices are regional, but if it helps anyone we're getting the Extreme/Premier X1 triple play (w/ phone) for $129.99 plus $9.99 for a satellite box/extender. Plus taxes and fees of course (less than $10). 2-year contract. Free install. (Originally my wife had this same deal with a rep except the extra box was $1.99, and at that price we were going to throw one in a room we rarely use for two extenders total, but after being disconnected from the first rep the next rep would only give the $9.99 price. My wife had the calls recorded with their permission, too - been lied to by Comcast too many times in the past... Anyone actually get a $1.99/extender price for extra boxes with the X1?) Oh yeah, and the $200 Visa gift card after 3 months. No one seems to discuss prices here so I hope that's not against some rule. If so, could the mods maybe just delete this last paragraph but let my questions stand? Thanks so much.

Last edited by joeyjoey; 09-16-2014 at 12:33 AM.
post #1690 of 1705 Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post
Is this On Demand issue described above an experience everyone is having? I cannot believe that this is the only post I've seen that mentions this and that there are no responses to it. The described loss of formerly free On Demand content would be a huge deal breaker for me (and I'm scheduled to have the X1 installation next Monday 9/22).

powrwrap, what is the additional $4.99 service actually called? Does anyone else know what service is being referred to? Is it accurate that many of the network shows I now enjoy On Demand for free will require an extra fee now? ...not to mention the occasional movie.
I don't know what the $4.99 service is called. I've tried to find it on their website but I can't. The only place I've seen it was with the new X1 system while browsing the on-demand section. I asked a customer service rep about the loss of on-demand content with X1 compared to the old system and she assured me that it was still available, but that "you must not be searching for it correctly." Hmmm...that's interesting since the front end of the entire new system is a search box that is supposed to pinpoint content for me and that I can't turn off.

You might want to check for some of your favorite shows in the on-demand section on your current system. Then go to the online site and see if it jibes with what is showing is available on your box.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/ondemand/full_episodes#page=1&sortBy=fancastVodRank&layout= gallery&filters={}

As to the lag, when I got the old style boxes reinstalled the tech told me that any boxes on the X1 system are constantly pinging each other (as part of the AnyRoom feature) and because my wiring diagram used excessive cabling there was a lag. I found the idea that an additional 20 feet of coax could introduce a delay in signals between the primary and the secondary cable box hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm back on the old boxes and all is good. BTW, there is a search function on the old boxes. On the remote, click MENU, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen to the magnifying glass and select it.
post #1691 of 1705 Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anybody figured out how to get Dolby Digital working? Around 98% of my programs come through in stereo mode even though surround is selected. I'm using HDMI out to my Onkyo 809 receiver then HDMI to the TV. I believe the only programs coming through in Dolby Digital are from on demand.
post #1692 of 1705 Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
Has anybody figured out how to get Dolby Digital working? Around 98% of my programs come through in stereo mode even though surround is selected. I'm using HDMI out to my Onkyo 809 receiver then HDMI to the TV. I believe the only programs coming through in Dolby Digital are from on demand.
Are the programs that you're watching actually broadcast in Dolby Digital with more than 2 channels? If they have PCM stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0 audio then I believe that's all you'll get.
post #1693 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
This sounds similar to the problem I'm having which is a known problem to comcast. My sound setting is Dolby surround but I only get stereo. Each day I have to set my sound to stereo and back to Dolby surround to get 5.1 sound. Apparently each night comcast sends some type of signal between midnight and 3:00am that causes this to happen. If my box is on during that time it doesn't happen, if it's off it does. I talked to support and supposedly they are sending a firmware update to correct the problem, but that has been over two months ago. If you connect an optical cable for sound the problem should go away, but that defeats the purpose of having hdmi. My contact on this issue has not returned my last three calls. Hope this helps. Comcast I loathe you.
post #1694 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
This sounds similar to the problem I'm having which is a known problem to comcast. My sound setting is Dolby surround but I only get stereo. Each day I have to set my sound to stereo and back to Dolby surround to get 5.1 sound. Apparently each night comcast sends some type of signal between midnight and 3:00am that causes this to happen. If my box is on during that time it doesn't happen, if it's off it does. I talked to support and supposedly they are sending a firmware update to correct the problem, but that has been over two months ago. If you connect an optical cable for sound the problem should go away, but that defeats the purpose of having hdmi. My contact on this issue has not returned my last three calls. Hope this helps. Comcast I loathe you.
That problem may be restricted to certain locations. I don't have that problem in the Tucson Arizona area. My Pace boxes stay on Surround. What kind of connections do you have and to what devices from your X1 box(es)? I am HDMI to my AVR and then HDMI from the receiver to my TV. I am wondering if the connection types have anything to do with it and whether this is an HDMI handshake issue with specific hardware.

post #1695 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I switched to TIVO. Problem solved.
post #1696 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I figured out the same thing last night. I switched to stereo then back to surround and it started receiving a Dolby Digital signal. We leave the box on at night (maybe it goes in suspend) but I had to do it again this morning. Now that I know what I need to do I'm ok with that for now. For the last 5 months I've been watching tv in DTS Neo 6 (stereo - simulated surround) so I'm pretty happy to actually be able to watch shows in true surround.

Equipment - 47" Vizio 120hz 1080p SV470XVT - Onkyo TX-NR809 - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox 360, Wii - Turtle Beach X41 7.1 Headset - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones
Speakers - Polk Audio CS2, Monitor 70's, Monitor 30's, BIC F12 12" Sub
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 560ti 1GB, 7TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
post #1697 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there consistently control the non-dvr varieties with an IR blaster from the front of the unit? I'm thinking I am going to pick up an extender to plug in to the back but it is driving me nuts!

Thanks. I am 2 weeks in and man this system is buggy.
post #1698 of 1705 Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:

FAN NOISE: Can users advise which particular boxes are most plagued by fan noise? Do they all have this same problem? There must be some difference between the PACE boxes and the Arris boxes, correct? Which box is the quietest? Did anyone have their box switched and receive a much quieter (or louder) replacement? This may end up being the biggest issue if it can be heard across a room, and I will certainly ask the installer which box they intend to install when they confirm their appointment that day. I just need to know which box is the best if there are multiple options.

The lag sounds horrible; I can only hope it's not as bad as being reported here. I couldn't believe when I skipped ahead 1 year in this thread the topics of the posts were completely unchanged - I thought I hit "next" page instead of "last" page... well, it is Comcast so maybe I wasn't completely surprised...

We currently have the RNG200N box and I'm just hoping this "upgrade" isn't a big mistake. I would be happy to keep the current box (didn't even know I could have added extra storage until reading it here - thought that feature was disabled), but the X1 package seems to be a significantly cheaper option for a supposed upgrade at this point in time.

I know prices are regional, but if it helps anyone we're getting the Extreme/Premier X1 triple play (w/ phone) for $129.99 plus $9.99 for a satellite box/extender. Plus taxes and fees of course (less than $10). 2-year contract. Free install. (Originally my wife had this same deal with a rep except the extra box was $1.99, and at that price we were going to throw one in a room we rarely use for two extenders total, but after being disconnected from the first rep the next rep would only give the $9.99 price. My wife had the calls recorded with their permission, too - been lied to by Comcast too many times in the past... Anyone actually get a $1.99/extender price for extra boxes with the X1?) Oh yeah, and the $200 Visa gift card after 3 months. No one seems to discuss prices here so I hope that's not against some rule. If so, could the mods maybe just delete this last paragraph but let my questions stand? Thanks so much.
the PACE box has the fan, which is the smaller of the two (green power on light). The Arris box (blue power on light) the larger does not have a fan. Which one is better? about an even return rate
post #1699 of 1705 Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM

X1 Series Management

Is it my imagination, or are the X1 DVR's series managment facilities truly pathetic? There doesn't seem to be any place in the UI where I can see all my series recordings in one place, except for the Series Priority screen (which lets me adjust priorities, but nothing else). It's not at all clear what the difference is between series recordings and the Watchlist. Also, I'm a big Formula One fan, and the X1 doesn't recognize that the Practice and Qualifying broadcasts as part of the series (I've had many other DVRs, including an original Replay, Ultimate TV, a DirecTV HR21, a Dish Hopper, and of course a Tivo, and none of them had this problem). Any thoughts or suggestions, besides 'get a Roamio'?
post #1700 of 1705 Old 09-25-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The X1 seems to depend on the Guide information for stuff like this. I have no idea what the source of this is (maybe someone here knows) and the Guide they use isn't the best. I find that it doesn't always properly recognize repeats. Sometimes new episodes are labeled as repeats and thus may not get recorded. As you note, it doesn't recognize what I would call "related programs". I would love to see them improve the Guide. For one thing, it ought to go out more than 2 weeks.

post #1701 of 1705 Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Well, that's true for any DVR - they all depend on the guide providers. But X1 seems to be by far the worst. Not only doesn't it see the Practice and Qualifying sessions as part of the series, but it won't even let me do series recordings for them at all - I've got to record each one individually. Good news is that with Tivo dropping the additional charge for the Mini, the extra monthly charge for Tivo is only $5.00, since I'm currently paying for an extra outlet with X1. Comcast had made me an amazing deal - $109.95/month for Internet + Premiere, with free DVR service for a year. I had been thinking I'd wait til the year was up and then get a Roamio, but I'll probably do that a lot sooner.
post #1702 of 1705 Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Another bug

And the hits just keep on coming. I had also reported a definite bug a few days ago, with the DVR Manager web app. My Recordings and Scheduled Recordings work fine, but when I click on Series Priority Manager, it crashes and reports an error. When I first reported it, they said they had to escalate it to tier 2, which I expected, but I finally got the callback today, and after talking to me for a while, the tier 2 support droid claimed that her supervisor said it wasn't supported by my DVR, which of course translates as they're too lazy or incompetent to actually fix bugs. That Roamio is sounding more attractive by the minute.
post #1703 of 1705 Old 09-28-2014, 05:32 AM

I am new to this forum* and can't read all posts because I have not posted so here goes. I am considering switching from Dish (I have the 722 DVR, pretty nice unit) to Xfinity since I use Comcast for internet already. I very much need to read ALL of this thread.

*Actually I was an active poster a long time ago but the site does not remember that.
post #1704 of 1705 Old 09-28-2014, 11:29 AM

This thread has saved me a ton of hurt.

I am upgrading my Xfinity service to X1. The Comcast tech just arrived to install X1. I told him I had read about the problems with the Pace box not maintaining surround sound, and that I would like the Arris boxes. He said he didn't have any Arris boxes in the truck, but he would reschedule and come back with them Tuesday. So I'm now getting four Arris DVR's. Heck, yeah!
post #1705 of 1705 Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

It is called monetization. Comcast likely noticed many folks using the "old" catch up offering and took the opportunity when they rolled out the "new' services on the X1 platform to "upgrade" you. The laugh is that the "Upgrade" was for their pockets, and not to your benefit......these are the tricks the cable companies play on consumers who usually have no other cable TV provider options in their area.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page