Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #1711 of 1799 Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I switched over to X1 in March, one thing that has become more prevalent and annoying ais that my recordings seem to get chopped up, requiring a menu prompt to come up if I want to go on to the next segment.

I archive sporting events and one of the baseball games last week had this occur and to my horror, there was NO following segment, it's like the 2nd half never got recorded. I couldn't play through the glitch, I couldn't hop over the break..NOTHING.

This never happened with the older DVR's, what is causing this to happen and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Thank you for your time and consideration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1799 Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I switched over to X1 in March, one thing that has become more prevalent and annoying ais that my recordings seem to get chopped up, requiring a menu prompt to come up if I want to go on to the next segment.

I archive sporting events and one of the baseball games last week had this occur and to my horror, there was NO following segment, it's like the 2nd half never got recorded. I couldn't play through the glitch, I couldn't hop over the break..NOTHING.

This never happened with the older DVR's, what is causing this to happen and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

I had something similar happening and Comcast finally had to replace my box.
post #1713 of 1799 Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Liked: 12
I got X1 today. Arris main box with Samsung satellite boxes. I have turned on the surround in the Arris and will watch to see if it holds. I had a problem accessing certain On Demand shows; TNT for instance. Some networks were available and others were not. Got an error message about billing. The bedroom box told me I needed a subscription to the channel to watch On Demand from it. Of course I have TNT as part of a package so subscriptions aren't the real issue. After some research online I downloaded the Comcast Account management app on my cell and followed the troubleshooting steps for On Demand. This cleared the issue and On Demand for all channels appears to be working for the time being. I will report if there are further issues. I did call Customer "Service" and got no help. They literally did not have a clue and scheduled a tech visit , which I have since cancelled. I hope this helps someone.
post #1714 of 1799 Old 10-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was offered an upgrade from my current SA 8300HD to the X1 for no cost difference. This is the only box we'll have. I've read through a little. Is there anything I should note when they come to install the box? They're also swapping my modem out. I've already found out how to turn off the hotspot feature.
post #1715 of 1799 Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 PM

Ok had the box a couple of days now. My only question at this point is how do you turn off the guide search? I just want to type in a channel and the guide go to it. Is it even an option?
post #1716 of 1799 Old 10-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I also have this issue. I assume the recording is getting interrupted and causing it to break into segments.
post #1717 of 1799 Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Ok had the box a couple of days now. My only question at this point is how do you turn off the guide search? I just want to type in a channel and the guide go to it. Is it even an option?
You can't :/
post #1718 of 1799 Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 PM

Repeats Recording as New

Suddenly some of the series recordings I have are recording shows that the guide has labeled as repeats even though the series recording is set for new shows only. One show in the guide isn't labeled as new or repeat. Any suggestions?
post #1719 of 1799 Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just delete them. This happens from time to time for unknown reasons. Most of the instances I have seen are because the Guide doesn't have the shows properly identified as repeats. In my area this happens most often with locally produced PBS shows.

post #1720 of 1799 Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hey guys - I've had Comcast service with the Motorola DCX3425 500GB boxes for a few years now. The boxes are a little cludgy and sluggish at times, but generally pretty rock-solid for me. I haven't had a chance to see the X1 in action, but I'm considering upgrading to it. Just because I would think things have come a long way since the days of the DCX... I have no interest in the Facebook or other social media integration - just looking for the most advance and highest quality HD DVR that Comcast has to offer.

Generally speaking would you say that the X1 is a step up above what I have now? I'd like to make the change, but only if it means it will provide improvements and no steps backward... Also are there later versions of the X1 now available - or X2 available or coming? Thanks!
post #1721 of 1799 Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Hey guys - I've had Comcast service with the Motorola DCX3425 500GB boxes for a few years now. The boxes are a little cludgy and sluggish at times, but generally pretty rock-solid for me. I haven't had a chance to see the X1 in action, but I'm considering upgrading to it. Just because I would think things have come a long way since the days of the DCX... I have no interest in the Facebook or other social media integration - just looking for the most advance and highest quality HD DVR that Comcast has to offer.

Generally speaking would you say that the X1 is a step up above what I have now? I'd like to make the change, but only if it means it will provide improvements and no steps backward... Also are there later versions of the X1 now available - or X2 available or coming? Thanks!
X1 is a step up, but there are a lot of issues with it. Just read a few pages of this forum and you'll understand what I'm talking about. I've thought about going back to the older boxes, but the ability to record 4 shows and watch a 5th is important to me.
post #1722 of 1799 Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I used a DCT-6412 for years and followed this thread for about a year. I converted to an Arris X1 in June and have no regrets. Many of the previous problems reported here have been fixed and the unit is updated frequently (usually monthly). As Pappaduke said, the major advantage is four recording tuners vs. two. Also OnDemand is a far superior and richer experience. The update I received two days ago will allow me to use voice control using the XR11v2 remote control which will soon be available. There's no going back for me.
post #1723 of 1799 Old 10-30-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I used a DCT-6412 for years and followed this thread for about a year. I converted to an Arris X1 in June and have no regrets. Many of the previous problems reported here have been fixed and the unit is updated frequently (usually monthly). As Pappaduke said, the major advantage is four recording tuners vs. two. Also OnDemand is a far superior and richer experience. The update I received two days ago will allow me to use voice control using the XR11v2 remote control which will soon be available. There's no going back for me.
Thanks for letting me know Garrett. In my case I'm really not looking for 4 recordings at once. Usually two is fine, particularly because these days many of the shows I don't need to record since they are On Demand a day later. The main thing I am looking for is an improved interface, better responsiveness, and better HD if it can improve on the experience.

Do these boxes have an option for "Native" output? For example I don't want to lock it at 1080p60 etc. Thanks.
post #1724 of 1799 Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Do these boxes have an option for "Native" output? For example I don't want to lock it at 1080p60 etc. Thanks.
Unfortunately, no native choice available.

post #1725 of 1799 Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is probably wishful thinking; but, does anyone know when/if Comcast will allow users to access their own media files on their LAN. This would avoid having to flip-flop between two different TV input sources (for X1 STB & Media extender).

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #1726 of 1799 Old 11-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New to X1 with a few questions

Just switched to X1 a few weeks ago. Overall a big improvement over the pair of DCX-3400 DVRs and HD box I had, but I have a few minor issues and questions.

1) I have the XG1-P DVR and it has a very loud fan. Is this normal or should I try swapping it out for another box? I live in the Boston area, so I'm not sure if asking for a XG1-A is possible or if they are even any better.

2) When I get to the last 5 minutes of a recorded show I can no longer use the 30 second skip. Is this normal?

3) I can only record 4 shows at once and watch one; I thought the DVR had 6 tuners?

4) Is there a good place to get details on how the cloud feature works? I have tried streaming a show I have on my DVR while away from home and have had problems, the show will play for maybe 10 seconds and then stop. I can hit play again and it will continue but then stop again. I have tried it from multiple locations which seem to have good internet connections.

5) I want to control the volume on my receiver from the XR2 remote, but unfortunately the brand Anthem is not one of the ones listed for Audio Devices. Is there anything, I can do? Will the XR5 remote support it?

Thanks,

-Bruce
post #1727 of 1799 Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 AM

Been having issues with my dvr box lately. This was posted on the comcast forum:

Hello everyone,

There is a national outage for the following error:

RDK00104

The following error may appear on your screen. You may also have a picture with no sound or vice versa.

We are currently working on the issue. We do have a few workarounds that may resolve the issue.

1. Place the box in standby mode. To do this, press the power button on the front of the box (do not hold the power button). Wait 10 seconds and then press the power button again.

2. Disconnect the power from the box. You can unplug the power cord from the back of the box or from the wall. Wait about 10 seconds and then reconnect the power cord.

If these methods do not correct the issue, you can send me a private message. I will do some advanced troubleshooting to attempt to correct the issue. If I cannot resolve the issue, I will link the issue to the outage and escalate the issue.

To send me a private message, please click my name, scroll down to the middle of the page and click "Send Private Message".

Please be advised I do not have an ETR for the issue yet. As soon as I have any updates regarding the issue, I will provide the updates here.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

I will also be linking other open topics regarding this same issue to this post in attempt to keep the forums tidy so that all customers can receive the same, accurate information.

Also, please be advised that hold times when calling 1-800-COMCAST are longer than normal.

*Update* XRE-00250 is also being reported. This is an issue with the boxes showing as disabled from my end. Please private message me, and I will assist in getting those boxes re-enabled.

Thank you for your patience as work on correcting this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1728 of 1799 Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindion View Post
Been having issues with my dvr box lately. This was posted on the comcast forum:

Hello everyone,

There is a national outage for the following error:

RDK00104

The following error may appear on your screen. You may also have a picture with no sound or vice versa.

We are currently working on the issue. We do have a few workarounds that may resolve the issue.

1. Place the box in standby mode. To do this, press the power button on the front of the box (do not hold the power button). Wait 10 seconds and then press the power button again.

2. Disconnect the power from the box. You can unplug the power cord from the back of the box or from the wall. Wait about 10 seconds and then reconnect the power cord.

If these methods do not correct the issue, you can send me a private message. I will do some advanced troubleshooting to attempt to correct the issue. If I cannot resolve the issue, I will link the issue to the outage and escalate the issue...
Hey Justin, you sound like you might be a level 2 Comcast tech. Hope so as we can use all the help and insight we can get.

I've had the X1 system for about 9 months (Boynton Beach, FL) and just about regret every bit of it. I'm no super tech, but am somewhat literate when it comes to handling this stuff. Overall, with all the problems I've (other have) had, I have come to the conclusion that Comcast is not a tech company but a marketing company. Also, the infra-structure for the X1 system certainly isn't up to par in many, many parts of the conunty (my area for one). This comes from many of the techs who point out that the X1 technology is too new for the present CC transmission/wiring capabilities.

Just to rant a little, let me provide some of my pet peeves with CC's handling, or really lack thereof, X1 problems:

1. If you have a surround sound system, but your receiver doesn't have HDMI, the only way to get correct 5.1 SS is to use optical cable from hub to receiver. Of course, this was never told to me by the installing tech; had to find out about this via the forums. And, of course, when I first told CC about this, their response was to send out a tech...of course, the tech knew nothing!

2. Definite lack of sound sync with the terminal boxes when viewing DVR'd material...have to use hub box. Once again CC always sends out techs who tell you there is nothing they can do about it. Keep calling CC, and they keep sending uninformed techs...endless big waste of money and time

3. A myriad of dropped recordings, failure to record, recordings stop too early...

4. In all honesty, I can not count the number of times that I have had to hard reboot because of all kinds of failures to show picture, freezing picture, no sound, etc.

5. CC doesn't tell its front line reps about existing problems. This leads their reps to go by cookbook and eventually send a tech because the rep has no idea what the problem is. With several of my issues, reps and techs knew nothing, but the answers came from the forums...why doesn't CC inform their reps about the ongoing problems the X1 system is having???

Enough for now, gotta eat lunch...
post #1729 of 1799 Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindion View Post

Also, please be advised that hold times when calling 1-800-COMCAST are longer than normal.
I am always told that hold times will be longer than usual, doesn't matter if it is 4 pm or 4 am, so that line is such a running joke that it's not only unfunny, but also a source of anger for many Comcast subscribers.
post #1730 of 1799 Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=flycaster;28754962]Hey Justin, you sound like you might be a level 2 Comcast tech. Hope so as we can use all the help and insight we can get.

1. If you have a surround sound system, but your receiver doesn't have HDMI, the only way to get correct 5.1 SS is to use optical cable from hub to receiver. Of course, this was never told to me by the installing tech; had to find out about this via the forums. And, of course, when I first told CC about this, their response was to send out a tech...of course, the tech knew

Nope. Just another disgruntled comcast customer. Only the first line was mine. I copied and pasted the rest from comcast support forums.

Regarding 5.1 SS what other ways were you expecting to get 5.1 without HDMI or optical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #1731 of 1799 Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=justindion;28756450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

Nope. Just another disgruntled comcast customer. Only the first line was mine. I copied and pasted the rest from comcast support forums.

Regarding 5.1 SS what other ways were you expecting to get 5.1 without HDMI or optical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My first setup with X1 was to have the hub in the bedroom and the companion in the livingroom (where the surround sound was.) The first connection as set up by the "tech who knew nothing," was box to TV via HDMI, box to reciever via RCA cables (no receiver HDMI input available). This arrangement failed to give 5.1 The next step was to go box to TV via component cables, leaving the RCAs in place. This gave 5.1, but poor syncing when viewing DVR'd material. After several useless tech visits and several level tech 2 discussions, and some new boxes that failed to change anything, I decided to place the hub in the livingroom and the terminal in the bedroom (HMDI terminal to TV, no receiver here.) However, this time the hub was connected to the receiver via optical cable ...and all was well (near perfect voice sync - but still not as good as it should have been, and 5.1 Dolby).
post #1732 of 1799 Old 11-04-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post
This is probably wishful thinking; but, does anyone know when/if Comcast will allow users to access their own media files on their LAN. This would avoid having to flip-flop between two different TV input sources (for X1 STB & Media extender).
Follow the money. That feature will NEVER be added since they want to sell you rental/vod content instead of playing back your own collection of video files. Furthermore Hollywood would cry foul and claim that Comcast is supporting/encouraging piracy even if someone in Comcast wanted to add this feature. They have no business interest to add this and see it as a theeart to their businesss model/lost revenue.

You and I are simply victims businesses try to suck more blood out of every month........
post #1733 of 1799 Old 11-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I agree that it won't happen... but not because of legal issues or studio objections. Dish Network and DirecTV STBs have supported DLNA playback for a few years, and there are numerous other devices that also support this.

It won't happen simply because Comcast doesn't want it to happen for the other self-serving reasons that you state. And if it did happen it would probably never work properly anyway (and would be an added fee). This is Comcast, after all.
post #1734 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
See below in ORANGE for my responses. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post
Just switched to X1 a few weeks ago. Overall a big improvement over the pair of DCX-3400 DVRs and HD box I had, but I have a few minor issues and questions.

1) I have the XG1-P DVR and it has a very loud fan. Is this normal or should I try swapping it out for another box? I live in the Boston area, so I'm not sure if asking for a XG1-A is possible or if they are even any better. No this is NOT normal. Chances are, this is a bad fan and the box should be swapped. Not all Pace boxes are loud, just sounds like you have a failing component.

2) When I get to the last 5 minutes of a recorded show I can no longer use the 30 second skip. Is this normal? are you sure you're only skipping 30 seconds? It sounds like your box is setup to skip 5 minutes? This is how the boxes are setup at first install by default. You'd need to change the skip to 30 seconds instead. To do this, on your remote, press EXIT-EXIT-EXIT-0-0-3-0. Page up no will skip ahead 30 seconds and page down will skip back 30 seconds. For a 60 second skip press EXIT-EXIT-EXIT-0-0-6-0 and so on.

3) I can only record 4 shows at once and watch one; I thought the DVR had 6 tuners? You can record 4 and watch a 5th. The other tuners are reserved for the new Xi3 companion box coming soon. That box has no built in tuners (like the current RNG-150) and relies on MoCA for transport of the video from the XG1 boxes in the home.

4) Is there a good place to get details on how the cloud feature works? I have tried streaming a show I have on my DVR while away from home and have had problems, the show will play for maybe 10 seconds and then stop. I can hit play again and it will continue but then stop again. I have tried it from multiple locations which seem to have good internet connections. To me, this sounds like an internet connection or a device issue. Try a speed test next time you experience this issue and see what your results are. Also, be sure you've updated to the latest version of the app. Are you using an iOS or Android device? How much free memory is left on the device?

5) I want to control the volume on my receiver from the XR2 remote, but unfortunately the brand Anthem is not one of the ones listed for Audio Devices. Is there anything, I can do? Will the XR5 remote support it? Unfortunately Anthem is not in the list of supported AVRs for the XR5. Have you tried a code search? First, what version of the XR2 do you have? This is listed on the back of the remote. Some support AVR code searches, but some older ones do not. ALL XR5 remotes DO support AVR code search though. To perform the search follow these instructions:

Step 1:
Hold the Setup button until the red lights on the remote turn green

Step 2:
Enter 991 then your green lights will blink twice

Step 3:
Press channel up until the AVR turns off. As soon as your TV turns off, tap the setup button again just once.

Step 4:
Press the power button and make sure your AVR turns on and the volume buttons are working properly.

Thanks,

-Bruce
post #1735 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
What version of the firmware are you running now? This can be found under settings>about. Look for the STB version as this indicates local set top firmware. This is the number that will indicate support for XR11. As for 2 vs 4 records at once, both Pace AND Arris XG1 boxes support this today. 4 record, and 1 watch. The other tuners are reserved for the Xi3 companion box coming soon.
post #1736 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Do any of your X1 users also have Xfinity voice? I am having it installed tomorrow and am concerned about the installation. Mainly I do not want them adding or replacing any routers in my house. The rep who signed me up says it comes with a free router - that's OK I'm all set with my home network and don't want anything messing with it.

Is it necessary for them to connect anything to my PC? I want them to wire up all the jacks in the house. What's the process here? Do they need to install a new modem or can they use my existing Motorola SB6121 modem?

Can someone please explain what the installation involves, so that I truly know what is and is not mandatory when the technician is here doing the install? I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #1737 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Do any of your X1 users also have Xfinity voice? I am having it installed tomorrow and am concerned about the installation. Mainly I do not want them adding or replacing any routers in my house. The rep who signed me up says it comes with a free router - that's OK I'm all set with my home network and don't want anything messing with it.

Is it necessary for them to connect anything to my PC? I want them to wire up all the jacks in the house. What's the process here? Do they need to install a new modem or can they use my existing Motorola SB6121 modem?

Can someone please explain what the installation involves, so that I truly know what is and is not mandatory when the technician is here doing the install? I'd greatly appreciate it.
I don't have the X1, but I do have Xfinity voice. Does your current modem support phone? If not, they'll probably install a new one or you may be able to buy a compatible one. The voice/internet cable modem that I have has a built-in wired/wireless router. But I wanted to use my own router. They can turn off the cable modem's router so that you can use your own instead. I think they have to do that at the office instead of you being able to configure it yourself. Then you just treat the modem like you did with your old one, connecting to your router and from your router to your PC. A phone cord is also plugged from the modem to an outlet in your house.
post #1738 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I don't have the X1, but I do have Xfinity voice. Does your current modem support phone? If not, they'll probably install a new one or you may be able to buy a compatible one. The voice/internet cable modem that I have has a built-in wired/wireless router. But I wanted to use my own router. They can turn off the cable modem's router so that you can use your own instead. I think they have to do that at the office instead of you being able to configure it yourself. Then you just treat the modem like you did with your old one, connecting to your router and from your router to your PC. A phone cord is also plugged from the modem to an outlet in your house.
Thanks so much crossbeaux! I did a little digging and it seems my Motorola Surfboard SB6121 does NOT support phone/voice. From what you are saying it sounds like then I can just have them switch out the cable modem and turn off its Wifi settings. Then I still use my existing router which goes into the new modem they provide.

As for making all the jacks throughout the house work - is that just a matter of them plugging one of my phone jacks into the new modem, and then somehow that backfeeds so that all jacks then are wired in?

Do I have this all right so far?

Also do I have the ability to turn the Wifi functionality of the new modem on and off at will? How is that done, by going to its IP? If so maybe I will try it as an additional option. Does anyone know if the modem/routers they are using for this are 802.11ac compatible? Thanks!
post #1739 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM

You'll need to have the Xfinity Gateway put into Bridge Mode. This is more than just "disabling wifi" and will make the gateway a pass through modem with voice support and allow your existing router to take care of the local network IP addresses. You'll plug that router into port 1 of the gateway. If you get a technicolor XB2 gateway you can enable bridge mode yourself by logging into 10.0.0.1 when plugged into the gateway. There is a button there to enable bridge mode. The gateway will reboot and you'll no longer be able to access 10.0.0.1 because it will be a "dumb modem" now. Plug your router in and off you go. If you get a Cisco XB3 or non Technicolor XB2 (Arris, Cisco, SMC) you'll need to call to have bridge mode enabled. If you do NOT enable bridge mode you'll be "double NATing" and that can cause problems. Your other option is to buy a DOCSIS 3 eMTA and own it. An eMTA is a data and voice modem with no router/wifi built in. A model for this would be somethings like an Arris TM722G. As for AC compatibility, not yet. The XB2 is only 2.4Ghz, the XB3 is 2.4 and 5Ghz, and soon an AC version of the XB3 will ship, but it's not available today.

Quote:
Thanks so much crossbeaux! I did a little digging and it seems my Motorola Surfboard SB6121 does NOT support phone/voice. From what you are saying it sounds like then I can just have them switch out the cable modem and turn off its Wifi settings. Then I still use my existing router which goes into the new modem they provide.

As for making all the jacks throughout the house work - is that just a matter of them plugging one of my phone jacks into the new modem, and then somehow that backfeeds so that all jacks then are wired in?

Do I have this all right so far?

Also do I have the ability to turn the Wifi functionality of the new modem on and off at will? How is that done, by going to its IP? If so maybe I will try it as an additional option. Does anyone know if the modem/routers they are using for this are 802.11ac compatible? Thanks!
post #1740 of 1799 Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroberts View Post
You'll need to have the Xfinity Gateway put into Bridge Mode. This is more than just "disabling wifi" and will make the gateway a pass through modem with voice support and allow your existing router to take care of the local network IP addresses. You'll plug that router into port 1 of the gateway. If you get a technicolor XB2 gateway you can enable bridge mode yourself by logging into 10.0.0.1 when plugged into the gateway. There is a button there to enable bridge mode. The gateway will reboot and you'll no longer be able to access 10.0.0.1 because it will be a "dumb modem" now. Plug your router in and off you go. If you get a Cisco XB3 or non Technicolor XB2 (Arris, Cisco, SMC) you'll need to call to have bridge mode enabled. If you do NOT enable bridge mode you'll be "double NATing" and that can cause problems. Your other option is to buy a DOCSIS 3 eMTA and own it. An eMTA is a data and voice modem with no router/wifi built in. A model for this would be somethings like an Arris TM722G. As for AC compatibility, not yet. The XB2 is only 2.4Ghz, the XB3 is 2.4 and 5Ghz, and soon an AC version of the XB3 will ship, but it's not available today.
Thank you! The install tomorrow is scheduled with a Comcast tech (I am not doing it myself). Are they familiar with the process and will know how to enable bridge mode? In case they are not familiar with the process I am trying to collect as much info as possible...

From what I understand from a Comcast tech manager, the modem/router they are using in my area is a Cisco 3930 v2. Will this need to be put in bridge mode? How will I be able to verify that everything was done properly and I am not double NATing? I'm currently getting something like 125Mbps for internet speed. Am I right to assume that this new setup will still operate at this high level of performance?

Anything else I should know to help ensure the installation goes smoothly and can verify the tech follows the correct steps? Thanks again. It is truly fantastic to have you here participating in the forums.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page