post #1771 of 1781 Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
I've been trying to read through the many pages of this thread, but am unable to find the answer to "what is bridge mode and what's the benefit?"
Xfinity is now pushing a "gateway", a combination of cable modem and wireless router, to their customers in areas where they are supported. The new box handles phone as well as Internet, and, if I am not mistaken, implements native dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6). So the one box will handle up to two phone lines (if one has phone service through Comcast), as well as up to four Ethernet lines (10/100Mbps and 1Gbps) and a limited number of wireless devices if one has Internet services through Comcast (Xfinity).

That will be fine for Internet customers like me who have just a few Internet devices and they are near where the gateway will be located, and will use either WiFi (wireless) or Ethernet (wired) connection to the router to give those devices access to the Internet. And by doing that, we don't have to understand how Comcast had decided to implement dual native stack for IPv4 and IPv6 and yet benefit from having both of these Internet Protocols available.

Some customers, however, have more demanding needs or want to access the WiFi from a longer distance or have more walls between their devices and the gateway, so they have their own routers for better WiFi signal strength, more ports, or other features, or even wanting to remain in control of as much of the customer's LAN as possible. But attaching a router to a router can be problematic. The answer is to set the router part of the gateway into "bridge mode" so it no longer acts as a router, but instead "bridges" an Ethernet port to the modem part, so the customer's router handles DHCP services, NAT for IPv4, etc., instead of having the gateway do all this.

"Bridge mode" affects only the Internet part of the gateway; it does not affect the phone part of the gateway.

As far as I am aware, a customer can still buy a supported modem and a router and should be able to save on rental fees, but it means having to do the configuration oneself (or paying for such a setup) but should save money over the long run. In this case, "bridge mode" is meaningless since the customer would be attaching a router to a modem, not attaching a router to a "gateway" that has both modem and router circuitry in the same box.

I have been following this thread in part because I had received an upgrade notice that the modem I am renting has to be upgraded to handle newer services, the current modem being DOCSIS 2.0 (instead of DOCSIS 3.0) and my current router having no clue on what IPv6 is, so renting a box that doesn't have the limitation of my old equipment has a certain amount of appeal.

Note: none of this affects TV service. Where I am, analog (NTSC) cable service is long dead (having been removed between midnight and 6am on October 9, 2012), and the last time I checked most of the QAM (digital cable TV) channels are scrambled (encrypted). The removal of analog cable TV channels freed up bandwidth on the cable to allow either more digital TV channels or to allow increased modem bandwidth (or both) or other services (e.g., phone, home monitoring).

Technically, this thread is about Xfinity's X1 services, which is TV services and doesn't deal with the Internet services (other than both TV and Internet are coming from the same company through the same coax). And currently I am not using their X1 services, but instead just being on their "Digital Starter Package" and renting one of their HD DVRs as the set-top box (which, in my case, is in a shelf under the TV, even though it is still called a set-top box).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 11-15-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1781 Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thumbs up Very Happy: New X1DVR + Roku 3 (with Netflix/Pandora) + Logitech Harmony 650

It's not often people will be motivated to post on here (and the Comcast forums) unless their pissed off or have issues. Well, I'd like to post something quite the contrary...

It's been a couple of weeks since our family upgraded to X1. Honestly, I couldn't be happier. My wife and daughter love it. Installation was painless. It was all done by a comcast tech in less than 40 minutes (including the time it took for him to upgrade our home distribution amp with a certified zero gain, two-way amp).

In a perfect world, the X1 On Demand library would have all possible old TV seasons and movies available. However, until that happens,. we supplemented the missing old TV seasons and movies using the perfect X1 DVR companion, Roku3 (with Netflix) + Harmony 650 remote control". The remote control seamlessly integrates Netflix and Pandora directly (no weird login screens or menus). Roku 3 has the best implementation of Netflix I've seen on any hardware or platform; especially when switching to "Kids" view.

I actually watch TV on my HTPC in my Mediaroom (using the X1 Web Client) ...the rest of the time on my Android phablet (phablet has VPN access, so no weird home limitations). I'd say the biggest surprise for me is the quality/stability of the X1 Web Client (extremely fast and responsive too). Video works flawlessly. In full screen, I sometimes forget that the client is running in a web browser. Also, inherently, the web client allows for true multi-tasking. So, you can do a lot more with multiple virtual TV screens on your desktop (see attached screenshots on my HTPC and remote PC).

Living Room remote control only has three main buttons:
Watch TV - Xfinity TV
Watch a Movie – Netflix
Listen to Music – Pandora

No fuss. Mission accomplished!

PS: The Roku3 has a USB input for HDDs for media file playback for special circumstances. I may add a "Youtube" button on the remote control next,,,

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #1773 of 1781 Old 11-15-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
I've been trying to read through the many pages of this thread, but am unable to find the answer to "what is bridge mode and what's the benefit?"
Xfinity is now pushing a "gateway", a combination of cable modem and wireless router, to their customers in areas where they are supported. The new box handles phone as well as Internet, and, if I am not mistaken, implements native dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6). So the one box will handle up to two phone lines (if one has phone service through Comcast), as well as up to four Ethernet lines (10/100Mbps and 1Gbps) and a limited number of wireless devices if one has Internet services through Comcast (Xfinity).

That will be fine for Internet customers like me who have just a few Internet devices and they are near where the gateway will be located, and will use either WiFi (wireless) or Ethernet (wired) connection to the router to give those devices access to the Internet. And by doing that, we don't have to understand how Comcast had decided to implement dual native stack for IPv4 and IPv6 and yet benefit from having both of these Internet Protocols available.

Some customers, however, have more demanding needs or want to access the WiFi from a longer distance or have more walls between their devices and the gateway, so they have their own routers for better WiFi signal strength, more ports, or other features, or even wanting to remain in control of as much of the customer's LAN as possible. But attaching a router to a router can be problematic. The answer is to set the router part of the gateway into "bridge mode" so it no longer acts as a router, but instead "bridges" an Ethernet port to the modem part, so the customer's router handles DHCP services, NAT for IPv4, etc., instead of having the gateway do all this.

"Bridge mode" affects only the Internet part of the gateway; it does not affect the phone part of the gateway.

As far as I am aware, a customer can still buy a supported modem and a router and should be able to save on rental fees, but it means having to do the configuration oneself (or paying for such a setup) but should save money over the long run. In this case, "bridge mode" is meaningless since the customer would be attaching a router to a modem, not attaching a router to a "gateway" that has both modem and router circuitry in the same box.

I have been following this thread in part because I had received an upgrade notice that the modem I am renting has to be upgraded to handle newer services, the current modem being DOCSIS 2.0 (instead of DOCSIS 3.0) and my current router having no clue on what IPv6 is, so renting a box that doesn't have the limitation of my old equipment has a certain amount of appeal.

Note: none of this affects TV service. Where I am, analog (NTSC) cable service is long dead (having been removed between midnight and 6am on October 9, 2012), and the last time I checked most of the QAM (digital cable TV) channels are scrambled (encrypted). The removal of analog cable TV channels freed up bandwidth on the cable to allow either more digital TV channels or to allow increased modem bandwidth (or both) or other services (e.g., phone, home monitoring).

Technically, this thread is about Xfinity's X1 services, which is TV services and doesn't deal with the Internet services (other than both TV and Internet are coming from the same company through the same coax). And currently I am not using their X1 services, but instead just being on their "Digital Starter Package" and renting one of their HD DVRs as the set-top box (which, in my case, is in a shelf under the TV, even though it is still called a set-top box).
We just discussed setting up bridge mode earlier in this thread (recently). Look for my posts above. I have my Apple Extreme working flawlessly with their Cisco 3939 modem/router in bridge mode.
post #1774 of 1781 Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Since there's no general FAQ listed I'll ask here: can I have two X1 DVRs in the same house, and be able to view each others recordings, like I can right now with DirecTV's multiroom equipment.

Four tuners is too few for my needs.

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #1775 of 1781 Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Since there's no general FAQ listed I'll ask here: can I have two X1 DVRs in the same house, and be able to view each others recordings, like I can right now with DirecTV's multiroom equipment.

When I asked Comcast this question they told me No. My understanding is that in order to play back content remotely, the X1 box must be the master and the TV doing the remote playback must be a slave. So AFAIK an X1 cannot act as a slave unit.
post #1776 of 1781 Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 AM
los

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
When I asked Comcast this question they told me No. My understanding is that in order to play back content remotely, the X1 box must be the master and the TV doing the remote playback must be a slave. So AFAIK an X1 cannot act as a slave unit.
I have this in my house right now. It appears they are not supporting this everywhere, or perhaps anymore, but it does work.

Carlos
post #1777 of 1781 Old 11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post
I have this in my house right now. It appears they are not supporting this everywhere, or perhaps anymore, but it does work.
What works? You are able to have a full blown X1 in two rooms that can play each others stuff?
post #1778 of 1781 Old 11-17-2014, 08:39 AM
los

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
What works? You are able to have a full blown X1 in two rooms that can play each others stuff?
Correct. I have 2 X1s and they can see/play each other's stuff. It does blip out every once in a while, but for the most part it works well.

Carlos
post #1779 of 1781 Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I was told that you CAN have multiple "masters" in the house under 1 account. The masters do NOT talk to each other and each slave must be paired with a particular master,

you can then record 8 things at one time
or get a homerun prime unit, (HTPC) which can record 3 things at once, and X1, (4) and now you can record 7 at once and use home networking to share all over the place (beyond my scope of knowledge)
post #1780 of 1781 Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Comcast is advertising "Record & Watch up to 15 shows at once" they way they support this is with 3 of the X1 DVR's. The ad says not available in all area's, so I think your going to have to call to see if you an get the second DVR.

here is the ad
billmich likes this.
post #1781 of 1781 Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce24 View Post
Comcast is advertising "Record & Watch up to 15 shows at once" they way they support this is with 3 of the X1 DVR's. The ad says not available in all area's, so I think your going to have to call to see if you an get the second DVR.

here is the ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyg5rDALc9c
Thanks Bruce. So it sounds like the Comcast rep didn't know what she was talking about.

I'll call back and see if I can get someone in the know. A crapshoot unfortunately.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page