Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1981 of 1997 Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Why wouldn't it simply buffer the program on the DVR's hard drive, and stream from that buffer?
Maybe if someone is using the DVR to watch live programming the hard drive buffer is in use and it would cause a lack of responsiveness (just a guess).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1997 Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Maybe if someone is using the DVR to watch live programming the hard drive buffer is in use and it would cause a lack of responsiveness (just a guess).
It shouldn't be any different than the DVR recording the program, and the "satellite" box playing the recording while in progress. I believe that's what the Dish Network and DirecTV boxes do. But Comcast probably skimped on the hardware much more than Dish/DTV did...
post #1983 of 1997 Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Why wouldn't it simply buffer the program on the DVR's hard drive, and stream from that buffer?
I'm not sure what the reason was, but I can tell you it is much smoother moving around the buffer on the Xi3 vs. moving around a recording on the XG1 DVR from a RNG150n box.

Last edited by bruce24; 06-14-2015 at 02:55 PM.
post #1984 of 1997 Old 06-14-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

xi3 box couldn't pass a video signal thur my integra 30.6 receiver. audio only.
video signal ok from box directly to tv. the Comcast tech tried switching hdmi cables with no luck.
so back to the blue lite satellite box.
anyone else using the xi3 box with a receiver?

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #1985 of 1997 Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hello all,

I had to use the hdcp hdmi input to get video.

June
post #1986 of 1997 Old 06-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post
hello all,

I had to use the hdcp hdmi input to get video.
Are you saying you had a HDCP non-compliant input on your receiver?
post #1987 of 1997 Old 06-28-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hey captain,

I only have one on the integra htr30.6. need 2 the other for a sony bdp-5200 blue ray player. looking for a hdcp hdmi switcher

June
post #1988 of 1997 Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
hey captain,
I only have one on the integra htr30.6. need 2 the other for a sony bdp-5200 blue ray player. looking for a hdcp hdmi switcher
Sounds like you're running into a compatibility issue.
Have you tested another device like your Blu-ray player to see if it passes copy protected video?

HDCP 2.2 is the new kid on the block. And it sounds like you may have a lot of frustration ahead. ;(

"The compatibility conundrum

While that’s bad news for bad guys, it’s a potential headache for the rest of us, too. HDCP 2.2 is not backward compatible with the previous versions of HDCP that are currently used by most of the HD devices in all our homes. Thanks to its ignominious track record of exploitations, the protocol required a clean refresh, and since it's implemented at the hardware level, manufacturers can't simply release new firmware to bring old gear up to speed.

In order to watch copy-protected Ultra HD content--be it on a disc, a download, or via an over-the-top stream—you’ll need HDCP 2.2 compatible devices at every link in the signal chain. Because this isn’t just about media players and TVs; it applies to any component with an HDMI connection. Having a non-HDCP 2.2 sound bar or AV receiver in your home theater system will be enough to terminate the handshake and your afternoon plans for watching The Godfather in glorious 4K resolution."

http://www.techhive.com/article/2881620/4k-content-protection-will-frustrate-consumers-more-than-pirates-meet-hdcp-22.html

http://www.integrahometheater.com/Products/model.php?m=DTR-30.6&class=Receiver&source=prodClass
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #1989 of 1997 Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
hey captain,

Geffin
post #1990 of 1997 Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post
I am having lip sync issues with the Arris X1 DVR box. I mainly get it when watching recorded shows on HGTV or Food Network. Watching HBO, Showtime, etc it seems to be fine. I have it hooked up via HDMI to a Yamaha Aventage 720 with lip sync correction set to auto. Is this a known issue or just my setup? Any help would be appreciated.
The AUTO feature of HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 doesn't do anything except allow your TV to tell your AV receiver a FIXED delay to use for progressive and interlaced formats. Those two "fixed" delays remain the same no matter how much lip-sync error in the signal changes. You probably already knew that but many people assume it can actually correct for lip-sync error as it changes. The only way to do that is with dedicataed lip-sync correction devices from companies like Alchemy2, Felston, Primare, etc which offer remote control adjustment in 1 ms steps (and even 1/3 ms for some) while watching.

But what I am seeing in this thread is that audio is already delayed too much. If that's the case even my Felston DD740 wouldn't help since it could only add more delay but you would definitely want to turn AUTO to OFF since that's making it add delay increasing the error. It might still be off if audio arrives delayed but it won't be off as much if you turn AUTO to off.

You might also check your TV and STB settings to be sure they aren't adding any delay. Sometimes they put the audio delay settings in the s/pdif output menu. If you find your TV was adding a delay and AUTO was adding another delay that might add up to quite a bit of lip-sync error.
post #1991 of 1997 Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexsen View Post
The AUTO feature of HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 doesn't do anything except allow your TV to tell your AV receiver a FIXED delay to use for progressive and interlaced formats. Those two "fixed" delays remain the same no matter how much lip-sync error in the signal changes. You probably already knew that but many people assume it can actually correct for lip-sync error as it changes. The only way to do that is with dedicataed lip-sync correction devices from companies like Alchemy2, Felston, Primare, etc which offer remote control adjustment in 1 ms steps (and even 1/3 ms for some) while watching.

But what I am seeing in this thread is that audio is already delayed too much. If that's the case even my Felston DD740 wouldn't help since it could only add more delay but you would definitely want to turn AUTO to OFF since that's making it add delay increasing the error. It might still be off if audio arrives delayed but it won't be off as much if you turn AUTO to off.

You might also check your TV and STB settings to be sure they aren't adding any delay. Sometimes they put the audio delay settings in the s/pdif output menu. If you find your TV was adding a delay and AUTO was adding another delay that might add up to quite a bit of lip-sync error.
The original post was from almost a year ago. It has since been resolved because it was a problem with the box. I did not have to make any changes.
post #1992 of 1997 Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Guys, a couple of questions. Can you have 2 X1 DVR boxes in the house? I read on comcast site you can but when I chatted with a rep they first said no then I said I read about it then they said yes another rep says no. I asked at the comcast building and they said no. I asked about the price of a second X1DVR box and it is $19.95 same as the non X1 second DVR box which we have now.

How good is the satellite box? I see the Xi3 is out and I asked to see it down at Comcast and it is small!! I would really like to have 2 DVR boxes though for our setup.

With the DVR and satellite box how may shows can you watch at the same time all together. I read record 4 and watch a 5th but with the satellite box it has no turner so it uses the DVR box?
post #1993 of 1997 Old 07-18-2015, 05:20 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 203
You can have two DVR's. I do. But it only doubles your storage capacity. All other functions of your system will remain the same, i.e. all units ... DVR or slave ... can schedule or play recorded content.

Oh, each DVR has four tuners so two DVRs should be able to record eight shows simultaneously. I have seen our system record five at once. Somebody verify this?

Jeff
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by pepar; 07-18-2015 at 05:24 AM.
post #1994 of 1997 Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Oh, each DVR has four tuners so two DVRs should be able to record eight shows simultaneously. I have seen our system record five at once. Somebody verify this? Jeff
Last week the X1 "unlocked" the two other tuners. You can now record 6 programs at the same time. Obviously this means there is no On Demand or live view when all 6 are recording, but the user can still watch recorded shows. Check the 6th tuner thread on the X1 forum
post #1995 of 1997 Old 07-22-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone know how to get the X1 to switch to surround sound? I tried to switch it in settings but it would not let me switch it from stereo to surround sound. I have a SlingBox 500 attached to the output from the X1 then on to my AV receiver. I also put in a TII ground loop isolator to get rid of a chirping sound that was coming through my speakers in the cable side of my connection (also have high speed internet with Comcast). Lastly I put in a hdmi to hdmi to component adapter that was recommended by SlingBox for use with this type of set top box so I can still get HD out of the SlingBox from the X1. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung UN75HU8550 Denon X7200WA Monster Power
Parasound A51x2 Oppo BDP-105D Rega RP-6
Panasonic DMR-EZ48V Sony PS4 Xfinity X1 DVR
Slingbox 500 Sony PS4 Sonos Connect Amp Apple TV
Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector B&W Nautilus 11.2 Speaker Setup Velodyne DD-18x2
post #1996 of 1997 Old 07-23-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If the X1 cannot detect a surround sound HDMI connection it will not allow switching to surround sound.
post #1997 of 1997 Old Today, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
If the X1 cannot detect a surround sound HDMI connection it will not allow switching to surround sound.
Yep. I just got 2 X1 DVRS installed today. I have a Mits DLP connected to one. The old DVR would pass bit-stream through my Mits TV to my Sony receiver. On the X1, it reverts to PCM regardless of setting. It would be great if they would enable a forced bit-stream setting to get Dolby Digital.

I have read that there is a planned firmware update to allow this. In the meantime I'll have to get a 12' Toslink cable to go from the DVR to the AV receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion