Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2011 of 2038 Old 08-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So, is X1 now ready for prime time?

I know, probably covered ad infinitum in this thread, but there are over 2,000 posts here, over years.

Comcast has offered to send me a free self-install upgrade kit for my Motorola DCX 3400 and three RNG150N's (Anyroom DVR, .....)

Should I go to X1 or pass and wait for the bugs to get worked out?

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2038 Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Thanks. Wonder why they advised keeping it on? Spying on us?

Jeff
post #2013 of 2038 Old 08-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
So, is X1 now ready for prime time?

I know, probably covered ad infinitum in this thread, but there are over 2,000 posts here, over years.

Comcast has offered to send me a free self-install upgrade kit for my Motorola DCX 3400 and three RNG150N's (Anyroom DVR, .....)

Should I go to X1 or pass and wait for the bugs to get worked out?
I've had the X1 for about 17 months. There really aren't any bugs anymore and haven't been any for at least nine months. Even the bugs that were around 17 months ago were pretty trivial.

I do see people complaining from time to time. I can only assume that either there are problems with their local Comcast infrastructure, the signal to their home, or wiring within their home.

Here in the Seattle area, X1 works just fine and you could never get me to go back to the old guide.
post #2014 of 2038 Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Wireless member

I occasionally experience sluggish response navigating thr menu for saved/on demand content. But overall, this platform has richened my TV experience with features and capabilities i would expect to have given all of the other technology around me.

I have not received any compansation for expressing this opinion.
post #2015 of 2038 Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
I've had the X1 for about 17 months. There really aren't any bugs anymore and haven't been any for at least nine months. Even the bugs that were around 17 months ago were pretty trivial.

I do see people complaining from time to time. I can only assume that either there are problems with their local Comcast infrastructure, the signal to their home, or wiring within their home.

Here in the Seattle area, X1 works just fine and you could never get me to go back to the old guide.
I agree. It's only been a week for me and I'm afraid to say all is well. Afraid to jinx it. Some of my neighbors now have the X1. It seems like the ones that have some problems now and then, installed the boxes themselves. My immediate next store neighbor an I have xfinity contractor installed boxes with no problems. The same contract tech spent a good amount of time with signal improvement, changing connectors from improperly installed inside type to weather resistant outside type. Also cleaned out a couple wasp nest and spider webs. He came back in the house, pulled up the screen and exclaimed, "now we're cooking". None of this cost anything. I would recommend having a tech come out and install the X1's.
post #2016 of 2038 Old 08-08-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
I agree. It's only been a week for me and I'm afraid to say all is well. Afraid to jinx it. Some of my neighbors now have the X1. It seems like the ones that have some problems now and then, installed the boxes themselves. My immediate next store neighbor an I have xfinity contractor installed boxes with no problems. The same contract tech spent a good amount of time with signal improvement, changing connectors from improperly installed inside type to weather resistant outside type. Also cleaned out a couple wasp nest and spider webs. He came back in the house, pulled up the screen and exclaimed, "now we're cooking". None of this cost anything. I would recommend having a tech come out and install the X1's.
Good point about getting a proper install. The signal at my house was plenty good before I got the X1. Despite that, the tech who did the install completely redid all of the fittings outside the house and upgraded the in-line signal amplifier. He must have spent two hours getting everything just so. For all I know, everything would have worked just fine with a self-install, but by the time the tech left it was hard to imagine that there was any chance that I had any wiring problems.
post #2017 of 2038 Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Have they dropped the $50 installation fee?

post #2018 of 2038 Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Have they dropped the $50 installation fee?
They did for me in ATL, but I was in the midst of (yet another) On Demand issue and finally went the 'disconnect my service' route to get to the CSR who set me up.

They did share that even in a self install situation that they would send out a tech to check out the outside connections, etc.

We'll see what actually happens.

post #2019 of 2038 Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
They did for me in ATL, but I was in the midst of (yet another) On Demand issue and finally went the 'disconnect my service' route to get to the CSR who set me up.

They did share that even in a self install situation that they would send out a tech to check out the outside connections, etc.

We'll see what actually happens.
Well, the expected nightmare of non-existent customer service and ineptitude occurred. Well, actually is ongoing until they make the system work properly and deliver the correct boxes. Dozens of calls, literally over ten hours on the phone and finally got a truck roll for Sunday...if he shows up. Based on CC Forum research, apparently I have signal strength issues, although the unit says signal strength is good. Multiple calls, emails, chat sessions, emails to Tom Karinshak, VP of Customer Service, Facebook posts, and calls and letters to County and City Franchising Authorities have yet to bear any fruit. Seems clear that CC in ATL has decided that they can't or won't provide reasonable customer service, but instead depend on their monopoly status to stay in business. I feel sorry for the CSRs who have to deal with legitimately irate customers with no ability to address their issues. Some seem to want to help, but can't.

However, based upon the boxes that actually work, well when they work, X1 seems to be head and shoulders better than the old system. If I can restrain myself from ripping all their gear out and setting it on fire, while recording it all for YouTube, maybe they will eventually sort the mess out.

Will post a link to YT video if it occurs......

post #2020 of 2038 Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Comcast cable is included in my community (i pay for the digital preferred channels). I pay for their internet and home phone. Has anyone ever qualified for their X1 system with this setup?
post #2021 of 2038 Old 08-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'd call them and ask. Expect an abysmal customer service experience.

post #2022 of 2038 Old 08-19-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatman3 View Post
Comcast cable is included in my community (i pay for the digital preferred channels). I pay for their internet and home phone. Has anyone ever qualified for their X1 system with this setup?
Yes, provided it is available in your area. When I moved up to Triple Play in June 2014 I got the X1 box to replace my Motorola DCT-6412. At that time I don't think Double Play customers qualified. Since the though I seen messages on the Xfinity X1 forum where non-phone users were getting the X1 box. Check with your local Comcast store.
post #2023 of 2038 Old 08-19-2015, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So, I've switched over to X1 with the XR11 Voice Remote. Overall, I think it's probably a better experience, but there are a few quirks I've run across... Maybe there are work-arounds to some of these, I need to read back through the X1 and Remote threads and see if there is anything

The guide requires too many button presses for things, it seems to me. Four steps to get to favorites, for instance. Not sure who though that was a good idea. The old dedicated button - hit it once to go to favorites, hit it again to return to full guide was much better.

Same for accessing recordings, etc. Putting so many things as sub menus under the Xfinity button is a step backwards to me.

skips - already discussed a bunch, seems you can't have 30 second skip and 5 minutes skips at the same time apparently. I thought I might get a Harmony and program sequences to flip back n forth, (and for favorites issue above) but since they only do 5 steps (unless using raw mode) that wouldn't work for the skips.

After years of the 64xx series, I constantly press pageup/skip forward when I meant to press pagedown/skip back. That's just something to get used to I guess, new button layout and all.

Guide list doesn't roll over, that is a major annoyance for me.

Also, just noticed - the old system, if you were only a few minutes into a program, ie less than 20 typically for HD, it would be in the buffer so if you wanted to record it, you could press record button and it would pick up from the beginning. With the new system, it doesn't do that - it will start recording from the spot you hit the record button. Now they have the "restart" option which forces you into OnDemand, which you can't record from, unless I'm mistaken...

So, as I mentioned there may be some workarounds out there already. A custom remote may help, but I think it would need to be a URC vs the more popular Harmony series, at least to program sequences longer than 5 steps.
post #2024 of 2038 Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
The guide requires too many button presses for things, it seems to me. Four steps to get to favorites, for instance. Not sure who though that was a good idea. The old dedicated button - hit it once to go to favorites, hit it again to return to full guide was much better.

Same for accessing recordings, etc.
You can press the Microphone button and say "Favorites" or "Recordings. Same goes for On Demand which manually requires a lot of drilling down to reach the program you're looking for. Just say "Rectify, On Demand" and you're there. On more obscure content I'll say "From Dusk Till Dawn, El Rey, On Demand. Easy peasy.
post #2025 of 2038 Old 08-20-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
You can press the Microphone button and say "Favorites" or "Recordings. Same goes for On Demand which manually requires a lot of drilling down to reach the program you're looking for. Just say "Rectify, On Demand" and you're there. On more obscure content I'll say "From Dusk Till Dawn, El Rey, On Demand. Easy peasy.
Ah, make sense, didn't even think about the voice button... Still adjusting to the new way of doing things I guess
post #2026 of 2038 Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You can also just start typing in the name of the show that you're interested in. That will get you access to a list of episodes you have recorded and episodes available on demand.
post #2027 of 2038 Old 08-21-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
You can also just start typing in the name of the show that you're interested in. That will get you access to a list of episodes you have recorded and episodes available on demand.
That's true, but I can say words much faster than I can type them.
post #2028 of 2038 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Hey guys, totally confused by the X1
We will be moving to a new house I will be switching to Comcast from Dish. The house is being built so I can have it wired to accommodate whatever is needed for cable. We will have at most 6 TV's one of which is a home theater, with 3 of us living in the home.

How do you feed the remote TV's? Iif the X1 is sitting in my equipment closet, and I have RG6 run to each TV, is there also a box at each TV to convert the signal to HDMI, or does the cable just connect to the TV's antenna input as you would connect an OTA antenna? And then does each TV location (or person) have their own set of recordings? IOW, can I access my recordings on my TV and my kids access theirs on their TV's? Are the remotes RF and do they charge for each one ?

Any links to the installation manual would be a big help. Every search I do comes up with the user manual.
post #2029 of 2038 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Wireless member

Run RG6 from wherever the cable service enters your house to EACH TV location. There will be a "box" at each TV. The boxes have a plentitude of interface options from prehistoric to HDMI. For every DVR "box" you get, you add 1GB of storage. There are two adults in my house who record a LOT, and we generally run our storage at 75%. All "boxes" can access all recorded content, though there might be some parental controls.
post #2030 of 2038 Old Today, 06:38 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Run RG6 from wherever the cable service enters your house to EACH TV location. There will be a "box" at each TV. The boxes have a plentitude of interface options from prehistoric to HDMI. For every DVR "box" you get, you add 1GB of storage. There are two adults in my house who record a LOT, and we generally run our storage at 75%. All "boxes" can access all recorded content, though there might be some parental controls.
Thanks pepper. Is there any way to have 2 TV's share the signal from one client box? IOW, there will be a TV in the kitchen and one in the master bath, but only one of those TV's would be in use at one time. I'd like to be able to have the client box in the equipment closet and split the signal to the 2 TV's and control the client box .

Last edited by AJF; Today at 06:44 AM.
post #2031 of 2038 Old Today, 06:45 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
Thanks pepper. Is there any way to have 2 TV's split the signal from the client boxes? IOW, there will be a TV in the kitchen and one in the master bath, but only one of those TV's would be used at one time. I'd like to be able to have the client box in the equipment closet and split the signal to the 2 TV's .
Google HDMI Splitter. I use a Gefen in our kitchen/sunroom system. One source with two displays, one on either side of a wall ... facing kitchen and facing sunroom. But be careful you don't design in a limitation that you regret later if you want to change usage. And you have HDMI runs to think about. Plus the Xfinity box needs to be able to "see" the infrared remote. Or you could command it entirely from a mobile device which happens over your network and Xfinity's network..
post #2032 of 2038 Old Today, 06:56 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Google HDMI Splitter. I use a Gefen in our kitchen/sunroom system. One source with two displays, one on either side of a wall ... facing kitchen and facing sunroom. But be careful you don't design in a limitation that you regret later if you want to change usage. And you have HDMI runs to think about. Plus the Xfinity box needs to be able to "see" the infrared remote. Or you could command it entirely from a mobile device which happens over your network and Xfinity's network..
Got it thanks. I'm going to have 2 runs of RG6 to each TV location, is there a way to send the HD signal on cable rather than running HDMI ? I could also use one of the RG6 cables for an IR repeater system to control the client box.
post #2033 of 2038 Old Today, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you mean 500GB of storage.
post #2034 of 2038 Old Today, 07:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post
Got it thanks. I'm going to have 2 runs of RG6 to each TV location, is there a way to send the HD signal on cable rather than running HDMI ? I could also use one of the RG6 cables for an IR repeater system to control the client box.
Ahh, no, not natively. But I believe there might be devices that send HDMI over RG6.
post #2035 of 2038 Old Today, 07:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post
I think you mean 500GB of storage.
Umm, yes.

Maybe we need to bang on them a bit on the rear eSATA connector. eSATA is for only one thing.
post #2036 of 2038 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plus the Xfinity box needs to be able to "see" the infrared remote. Or you could command it entirely from a mobile device which happens over your network and Xfinity's network..
Setting the X1 remote to RF rather than the default infrared should solve that problem. The least used room would still need the TV remote to control on/off and volume control.
post #2037 of 2038 Old Today, 02:14 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Setting the X1 remote to RF rather than the default infrared should solve that problem.
Hmmm, I did not know it had an RF mode. Thanks.
post #2038 of 2038 Old Today, 02:32 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Setting the X1 remote to RF rather than the default infrared should solve that problem. The least used room would still need the TV remote to control on/off and volume control.
Ah thanks, my Dish remotes work the same, way IR or RF. I just looked on ebay and extra remotes are only $6 each too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page