Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #181 of 1781 Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my X1 installed yesterday with no problems. The process only took about a hour, mostly waiting for the signals to load from Comcast. A few programs recorded as scheduled and my boxes didn't reset to 720 when turned off and on. I see there is a couple of hdmi inputs on the back of the box to connect Blu-ray players or video games but I can't figure out how to get the signal to pass thru. Are these even active on Comcast and if so how do they work? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1781 Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Those HDMI inputs are disabled...
post #183 of 1781 Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

"Comcast tests cloud DVR app for iOS, brings live TV and recordings to mobiles"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/comcast-cloud-dvr-app-ios/

I tried installing it and logged in. Didn't work for me. Sounds promising, though.
Anyone else get it to work?
post #184 of 1781 Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Those HDMI inputs are disabled...
Bummer. Could've used a few more inputs. Thanks

post #185 of 1781 Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"Comcast tests cloud DVR app for iOS, brings live TV and recordings to mobiles"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/comcast-cloud-dvr-app-ios/

I tried installing it and logged in. Didn't work for me. Sounds promising, though.
Anyone else get it to work?

While this is very cool, after reading the article I don't think I will be able to use use as they say you would need to be behind the comcast modem. While I do have the Arris modem comcast provided me with, I do not use it as I've had many problems with it.
post #186 of 1781 Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I think the content owners won't allow streaming over the Internet unless the cable and satellite cos. pay extra for the rights. Retransmission fees and mobile devices are becoming lucrative for content owners.

But indications are that Tivo's next gen DVR will have streaming capabilities built-in (like Sling) so that's a way around the who paying for the rights to view your recordings and programming that you're already paying for.
post #187 of 1781 Old 08-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I can't get my X1 SB to keep the green light off. I set it to off and a day or do later its back on again. I font have this problem with my main X1 box. Anyone have suggestions?
post #188 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinTPG View Post

Anyone had issues with the fan bring excessively loud?

In the initial roll out of X1 people were complaining of excessive fan noise. I don't know if that was resolved, but I got mine 3 weeks ago, and I have ZERO fan noise. I can't even hear if it is running or not.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #189 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
papaduke,

x1 need the box to say on for updates. you have to physically press the off button if you want the green light off. I hate getting up every night to turn of the box.mad.gif

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #190 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

papaduke,

x1 need the box to say on for updates. you have to physically press the off button if you want the green light off. I hate getting up every night to turn of the box.mad.gif
Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. The first night my lady came home it was dark in the room and she stopped and stared at the light. I think she thought I was trying to record us or something. I just told her its the new cable box and I'll figure out how to turn that stupid light off later. What's confusing is there is a setting to turn off the light, it just seems to come back on inexplicably at random. Is this a result of the box being updated, or is there possibly some other problem?
post #191 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post

Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous. The first night my lady came home it was dark in the room and she stopped and stared at the light. I think she thought I was trying to record us or something. I just told her its the new cable box and I'll figure out how to turn that stupid light off later. What's confusing is there is a setting to turn off the light, it just seems to come back on inexplicably at random. Is this a result of the box being updated, or is there possibly some other problem?

I've had an X1 for a couple of weeks.

My observations are thus...

* the feature set is not well thought out. It has the feel of two or three conflicting groups slugging it out for features: Engineering, Marketing and Other/customers.
1. Marketing is focused upon BuzzWord Bingo, so being able to say "it does THIS or THAT" is what matters, caveats or dependencies be damned.
2. Engineering quickly comes back with "idiots, if it does THIS the following does or does not happen, if it does THAT none of these things work as advertised."
3. Other/customers post in all forums things like the Power and Clock lights which revert to aircraft landing light brightness whenever they wish, and do not have the ability to Save the settings.

* why can we not have a list of bugs and bug fixes, like every other piece of software we have used? Because of the lack of ownership of the upgrade path. It's a free for all, and it comes off like one. If such a list existed in a single place, I feel sure they would share it. I bet Comcast employees in the field would PAY for such a list to deflect the BS they deal with in the field.

My machine is always ON, and at full brightness each morning. It is set to 1 for each Brightness (clock and green light) and turned off each night. Why is it on? Sounds like what you are seeing, you are not alone.

Unless or until one Comcast group takes charge of a coherent and rational roll out of features, we will continue to see the random, illogical and seemingly arbitrary features be blasted out.

I like the potential, and it mostly works fine, but we all know it could be so, so very much better.

My $0.02.
post #192 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Saw an X1 commercial so maybe they're planning to roll it out more broadly.
post #193 of 1781 Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

I was thrilled when I first started using X1, but now, not so much. The ridiculous light situation (previously mentioned) , now I'm trying to search starz and hbo for 3D content and there is no setting that I can find to search 3D only for those premium channels. There used to be with my old box. I also never received a manual (tech was out of them?????) , so I've been using an online manual. It doesn't have a lot of detail though. I'm not sure if its the same as a hard copy they should have given me. One other small complaint. I set the screen saver for 5 min. to see why in came on while my fiancee was watching. I noticed that if you leave the guide up inactive for the set time it comes on. Unfortunately she didn't know what to do so she turned off the TV and went to watch in the bedroom. I'll show her what to do if it happens to her again. My Harmony one help button did not fix the problem. Gotta keep her happy.
post #194 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

I accidentally discovered these buttons by pressing the down button on the cursor pad. There are skip buttons that go 5 min in either direction. Still would like the 30 sec skip though.
post #195 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:

I accidentally discovered these buttons by pressing the down button on the cursor pad. There are skip buttons that go 5 min in either direction. Still would like the 30 sec skip though.
What is the last icon on the left for? Is that a 5 min rewind also

post #196 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Holy Cow Robin!

That jumps to the beginning of what's in the buffer. If you've been watching Batman for an hour and you want to go all the way to the beginning instead of rewinding, hit that.
post #197 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Holy Cow Robin!

That jumps to the beginning of what's in the buffer. If you've been watching Batman for an hour and you want to go all the way to the beginning instead of rewinding, hit that.

I haven't seen any mention of this in the Comcast X1 forums.

Robert
post #198 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Found this in another thread.

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".
then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button.
post #199 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post

Found this in another thread.

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".
then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button.
That's what I did and stored it in the skip fwd and rewind buttons on my harmony one remote. I then created a sequence command with 5 page up/down commands for the page up/down buttons which will rewind or ff approximately 2 1/2 min.

post #200 of 1781 Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Why do I have to discover this by accident? C'mon Comcast, get it together. My installer said I'd have to play with the remote when I asked about its functions. I guess he was serious. Comcast built the tallest building in Philly, but I can't get a decent manual. Sad!!!!!!
post #201 of 1781 Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Has the box resetting to 720P issue been resolved or is there a fix. I don't recall having this issue in the beginning, but now I do. Any help would be appreciated.
post #202 of 1781 Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Has the box resetting to 720P issue been resolved or is there a fix. I don't recall having this issue in the beginning, but now I do. Any help would be appreciated.
I wasn't having this issue either in the beginning but now it seems to reset every night along with the clock and power button brightness settings. I wonder if Comcast is sending updates every night and the box resets when they do.

post #203 of 1781 Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone know if there is a way to advance frame by frame while paused? I have not been able to figure that out. I think with the old platform, I would hit the pause button and that would advance one frame each time I did. With X1, hitting the pause button resumes normal playback.
sknopster likes this.
post #204 of 1781 Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

That does look blurry. Can you post some more shots especially with text, like news or QVC.

So, if you had an issue with your coax, it wouldn't produce this type of issue.

Blurring, ghosting happened back in the analog domain. But should not with digital. It's 1's and 0's and bit-for-bit.

An issue on the line would cause the picture to break up or picture freezes, etc.

Some questions to help troubleshoot:

- Are you connected via HDMI?

- Is the X1 resolution set to 1080P60 or the highest your TV supports?

- Are you going through an AVR that might be doing some processing on the picture?

- Do all your TV's with X1 boxes exhibit this problem? Have you swapped one to see if it's bad?

Probably a stupid question but is your X1 box set to "Show HD when available"?
post #205 of 1781 Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I had a successful install of X1 (two boxes) here at my house on Saturday. It was the intaller's first X1 install and it went smoothly. It took about 40 minutes.
post #206 of 1781 Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Let me ask if the X1 has issues from members comments then why are folks getting it? I read an article where its hard to plan a recording, and he said its slow? Any comments?

These are just my opinions.
post #207 of 1781 Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find it very easy to make recordings. I set up about 14 in less than a minute this morning. Series recording is like any box a pain as the channels indicate the wrong repeat or new header so it does not work properly. I love the new guide and the seamless interaction between, Guide, DVR, On Demand and Apps. I love the 5 tuners. All and all it is a really nice modern box. Yup it has some bugs and flaws like no skip a day or no reminders which are annoying. But after our last box it is a gem.
post #208 of 1781 Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Let me ask if the X1 has issues from members comments then why are folks getting it? I read an article where its hard to plan a recording, and he said its slow? Any comments?
Early adopters can't help themselves, (myself included) from jumping in the pool. The new boxes have great potential, have better functionality and are better than what they replaced. Unfortunately Comcast still has some mostly minor bugs to work out.
post #209 of 1781 Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Just got X1 yesterday. Man has Comcast changed since I last had it. Its confusing and fun trying to figure it all out. Very nice Comcast and glad we went back to them. Question for everyone though? Is the green box light supposed to stay on all the time? Or do I manually have to keep turning it off?

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #210 of 1781 Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 152
My newest problem, besides the box always being on etc., now my box is skipping recordings. It recorded one show at 7 and didn;t record another show at 8. It has skipped other shows, also. Another bug, when I delete a recording it stays in the DVR list. It doesn;t erase until I go into the file folder and delete it. This all started on Sataurday.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page